Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

p0stal b0b posted:

I know I'm genuinely enjoying the discussion and learning a fair bit about what others prioritise in a finished shot. No sarcasm intended, in case it might come across that way...

Oh I didn't take it that way either. I agree, it's good to see others process and end goals. Here's two of mine for folks to play with. The first is from the OG full frame 5D Mark 1, a camera I miss every day.

https://mega.nz/file/2okGASaB#xxyDlhQu2cb8ce0Q8IXvT6LArYZ9eU_ZAN_RLvk8ekQ

https://mega.nz/file/m49hwKrT#N6sX3wrebHQZHovXwWrPboyEzIC4zXrtXBBXs29g3Bw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

It's personal opinion but I would say either of those are better

your personal opinion is a piece of poo poo (YPOPOS)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just having ya on but that came into my head and I couldn’t not share it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

echinopsis posted:

contrast is overrated imo

What the gently caress. This is the worst photography opinion I’ve ever seen. Light and contrast is everything

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

blue squares posted:

This is the worst photography opinion I’ve ever seen.

:smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s tongue in cheek of course

we’re taking a more philosophical approach to contrast, then yeah, I’d agree, most of the time an image is better for more contrast overall, whether that be conceptually or whatever

if we’re just talking about the way someone has edited it, ie, choices relating to pixels on a screen in this instance, well, if contrast was good then more is better why not crank the contrast slider? because even if contrast is important, there has to be an optimal amount of contrast for any particular photo and the vision of who is editing it. maximising for contrast may not suit this vision.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It’s all relative to the light in your frame. Your shot and scene was high contrast and you tried to undo it, which is going to look a lot worse than adding it to a flat shot generally because you’re fighting both directions of what your sensor got.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sometimes you gotta fight for what you want

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh I didn't take it that way either. I agree, it's good to see others process and end goals. Here's two of mine for folks to play with.

While these probably aren't shots I would have taken myself (and there's a whole different discussion...), I can't see much that I'd do in post differently to what you already have there, other than maybe bringing up the highlights in the first one and cropping in for both shots...

echinopsis posted:

and thanks postal bob, for being the only one who got my vision, even if you didn’t love the edit itself

No worries. I just know for myself personally I'd rather see images that move me or that communicate a feeling or idea or vibe and aren't technically perfect than ones that are technically flawless but don't speak to me. Of course, that may just be a result of not being that great technically myself, and letting what I like to try and capture dictate what I like to look at in a finished image...

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Lifted blacks to mimic old prints is a false nostalgia for cheap drug store prints that have been stored in lovely conditions. It's a shortcut to a collective ideal about the past and is a technique most commonly used to hide technical inability. Part of why I rally so hard against Echi's use of it is that the underlying photography there is worth editing and presenting without that crutch.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megabound posted:

underlying photography there is worth editing and presenting without that crutch.

this is the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me thankyou 🥹

BUT it’s actually coz all things considered I just prefer the look of it. when I A/B with and without I just always prefer it. idk to say I am a sucker for nostalgia for something that didn’t exist

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
e:nm

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 19, 2023

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
e: btw, this is a great portrait shot you have here

Viginti Septem fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 19, 2023

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yeah for all the discussion about the editing, I do think the composition itself is really interesting, unique, and overall great

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Viginti Septem posted:

e: btw, this is a great portrait shot you have here

thankyou, it’s defo one of my favourite shots I’ve taken

blue squares posted:

Yeah for all the discussion about the editing, I do think the composition itself is really interesting, unique, and overall great

thankyou too :)

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
20231008_8. Moab_DSC_4146 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

20231008_8. Moab_DSC_4055 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cool

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Since people have posted candids earlier here, I'll post a few too.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 24, 2023

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

I dig these two in particular, a nice couple of moments captured.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

p0stal b0b posted:

I dig these two in particular, a nice couple of moments captured.

Really? The first one looks like a stock photo to me

e: I want to clarify, I don't think it's bad. It's a well executed candid shot, but it looks corporate to me.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 24, 2023

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

In student galas, to save costs, organisers ask for student volunteers to help with serving etc. They use white shirts usually. Those women were making the servings for a cocktail party, and hanged around in the kitchen when they had some free time. Like this.

You’ll easily look > corporate when you are all wearing similar white shirts :D

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 24, 2023

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Those previous candids are great. I really like the mood of the last one, the chair.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Megabound posted:

Really? The first one looks like a stock photo to me

e: I want to clarify, I don't think it's bad. It's a well executed candid shot, but it looks corporate to me.

You're quite right, the positioning and uniforms do look corporate/stock, but I was more drawn to the expression on the face of the middle young woman - it looks more like an unguarded moment than a posed expression, the sort of thing I think differentiates candid portraiture from intentional (on the part of the subject) portraiture. You're capturing something closer to the reality of who the subject is, rather than the image of themselves they are trying to project.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I thought they were candid wedding shots. They're very clean and have a good reportage style.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

a set of self-portraits taken through automated traffic cameras

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

bellows lugosi posted:

a set of self-portraits taken through automated traffic cameras

This is cool how do you set it up

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i go to the ODOT website on my phone and stand in front of the camera until i show up on it

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

bellows lugosi posted:

i go to the ODOT website on my phone and stand in front of the camera until i show up on it

lol that's fantastic 😆

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Ah, so there's enough of a delay that you can wait to show up, pose, then capture

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

portrait for the lols

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

portrait for the lols

Good Lord, a blast from the past!

Edit: Like the portrait, too.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 31, 2023

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

torgeaux posted:

Good Lord, a blast from the past!

Edit: Like the portrait, too.

howdy old timer, happy to still get recognized in these parts.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

howdy old timer, happy to still get recognized in these parts.

Your self-portrait is burned into my brain.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Those sunstars in the glasses are pretty cool! I really like the casual vibe in that one.

Ihmemies posted:

Since people have posted candids earlier here, I'll post a few too.

Right up my alley! I'm really in love with candids lately.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Right up my alley! I'm really in love with candids lately.

Thanks!

Here are a few from today. Idea was to copy ideas from pinterest, and try to reproduce them..

Photography appears to be hard, even if you have ideas at hand and someone else's photos you can look some example from..

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ihmemies posted:

Thanks!

Here are a few from today. Idea was to copy ideas from pinterest, and try to reproduce them..

Photography appears to be hard, even if you have ideas at hand and someone else's photos you can look some example from..

these are great. not so easy to get this vibe imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I’ve been trying to reduce contrast as much as possible without editing and I am getting there, and blacks already mega raised

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

“Without editing… blacks mega raised”

?? At this point you’re either trolling or you have no idea what any of the terms you use mean. Also, what is your logic with the piss yellow/green color cast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

“Without editing… blacks mega raised”

?? At this point you’re either trolling or you have no idea what any of the terms you use mean. Also, what is your logic with the piss yellow/green color cast?

lol some people give me poo poo for editing my photos in such a way that they may have reduced contrast and I also definitely raise the blacks (it's usually the raised blacks that reduce the contrast)

but by taking a photo of a window with bright light around, I've managed to reduce that contrast without having to edit it to do so, and well, there were no blacks to raise. and yes it was a bit of a joke what I said, but I do like the photo a lot and the model loves it.

and the piss cast? that's just the way it was that day my friend. lots of green behind us. can't help it though that you're obsessed with urine