Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Plucky little fella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
He just likes to be tall.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Also having just been doing something not dissimilar, I can't remember if you considered... and it might sound horrible...

But for your skirting, pre drill through it to mark the wall behind. Remove and set a rawl plug in there. use a countersunk or headless screw to pull the skirting into the wall tightly then a bit of filler over the screw head sanded neatly and painted over?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah that poo poo's tenacious. The whole thing has been scalped twice and it grows back all on its own.

Bertie does a good job of keeping it cropped when not sat upon his throne, knowing I'm too lazy to go out in the rain to reset it.

Man you are still cutting the grass over in the UK? Can't believe how green that lawn looks. Our lawn's covered in ice and snow right now. Just waiting for some temperatures on the other side of freezing so I can wash the car.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Man you are still cutting the grass over in the UK? Can't believe how green that lawn looks. Our lawn's covered in ice and snow right now. Just waiting for some temperatures on the other side of freezing so I can wash the car.

It's been unseasonably warm going into October, and now has been raining for about 3 weeks solid so grass is living it, and is also too wet to cut.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Also having just been doing something not dissimilar, I can't remember if you considered... and it might sound horrible...

But for your skirting, pre drill through it to mark the wall behind. Remove and set a rawl plug in there. use a countersunk or headless screw to pull the skirting into the wall tightly then a bit of filler over the screw head sanded neatly and painted over?

I did consider it but this largely seems to work and I'm lazy.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Caulking time!

Good enough.

Getting better.

Architrave went fine.

Normal wall skirting also went fine.

The brick was always going to be trouble.

Could've been worse. The tape helped a bit.

I'll give it a quick sand once it's all set to remove the most eye-catching strays, but generally it's OK that the interface will be a bit wobbly. It was for the walls there, too.

All in all not bad for a first timer.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
Between the additional glue and caulk, that corner should be good, but you could always drive in a few brad nails.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Between the additional glue and caulk, that corner should be good, but you could always drive in a few brad nails.

Not into that brick I can't, but maybe into the floor below the carpet line if needed.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Or into the abutting skirting.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

I did consider it but this largely seems to work and I'm lazy.

Nah mate you arent lazy, you've gone above and beyond multiple times.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Grass update for all you grassholes out there: grass still growing

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Went out moving a few things around in prep for tomorrow's big storm, and when I came in noticed a big damp circle on the mat. Looked up and..

OK who remembers when the builders put on the extension's roof but did such a bad job it leaked loads and they had to build another one over the top? Well this is one of the leak spots where the water had gathered.

The roof still looks to generally be in good shape..

.. and only one of the spots has started leaking again, so I think it's localised and it's probably from the lack of coping on the parapet wall.

I "fixed" this on the other extension by sealing down a run of DPM over it, but that was only ever a stop-gap and the proper solution is to buy proper coping and fit it. Problem is there seems to be exactly one product (aluminium coping) by one manufacturer (alumasc) and they know it and it's very expensive. Seemingly no PVC product exists.

I guess I have no choice, so this weekend I'll be measuring up and placing an order, of course immediately after a storm is the worst time to do that. Speaking of which, guess I should put a bucket under that leak tonight.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 1, 2023

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
So you need some sort of coping mechanism?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Okay JB is in England, is this an off-color painting or a picture with some lovely camera filters of the White Cliffs of Dover from out at sea? Oh, no... (sorry, I hope that makes sense but in some sort of context it's honestly the first thing I saw in my mind, I hope it's at least mildly amusing in a bad situation)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Looks to be pretty low slant on that roof? If so it's what I term a "risk construction", high risk of leaks with flat or flat-ish roofs. Afraid it might be a recurring issue with time.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Looks to be pretty low slant on that roof? If so it's what I term a "risk construction", high risk of leaks with flat or flat-ish roofs. Afraid it might be a recurring issue with time.

The slope on it looks ok to me, I'm guessing (hoping!) There are decent drains in each corner?

That open edging is a right mess though. It looks like it's wood?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I'm guessing (hoping!) There are decent drains in each corner?

More on that this weekend.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

That open edging is a right mess though. It looks like it's wood?

Yeah, that’s what the coping goes over.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Get some sheet metal and make your own coping?

Or get a couple of gutters and sit them on top upside down.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

A row of tiny umbrellas, each one nailed into the edging.

Jaded Burnout posted:

More on that this weekend.

:ohdear:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I have absolutely got to declutter this house. We're at the point now where I can't even start projects because I can't find the materials, or can't access the areas that might have them in. I didn't want to do guttering work today and I'm absolutely not going to do it if I can't even find the stuff to do it. It's massively demotivating.

I know I can get at my painting tools so at some point I'll dig those up and get the bedroom trim painted as planned, get the carpet fitted there, move bedrooms, and then refocus on finishing the workshop enough to move stuff into it.

Rain will have to wait.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

If only you’d finished the stairs you’d be able to store stuff upstairs

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

I have absolutely got to declutter this house. We're at the point now where I can't even start projects because I can't find the materials, or can't access the areas that might have them in. I didn't want to do guttering work today and I'm absolutely not going to do it if I can't even find the stuff to do it. It's massively demotivating.

Definitely feel this. We are wrapping up some major renovations and a ton of our stuff is still in boxes or strewn about the garage etc. As you say it's massively demotivating when a simple task like making breakfast is a huge yak shave of moving boxes, opening boxes, realizing it's the wrong box and looking for another, before you can do the thing you wanted to accomplish in the first place. Also a lot of questioning why I thought labeling 10 different boxes as "kitchen" would help me remember where the hell a specific thing was 6 months later

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I’m going to have a brief whinge about British Gas now.

They’ve been hassling me for weeks about replacing my smart meter. I finally call them back today, they have a dedicated option on the phone tree, but a 6 minute wait. Okay.

They answer, confirm my name, transfer me to the “correct department” (what was that phone tree option for then?) where I get a message saying they’re all about to go home (it’s 16:30) and if you’re not a vulnerable individual then please gently caress off. Then silence and then it hung up.

Sorry, vulnerable individuals.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Something I've noticed since moving to this island is that companies really do not want to hear from you.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

British gas are famously extremely bad. Octopus energy moved my meter for free within about two weeks and upgraded both to new models at the same time.

Jokes on me though because the old gas meter was actually stuck somehow and hadn't updated the reading for abouttwo months so I wasn't actually paying for usage.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I may not be from the UK, but at least where I live a broken meter means the gas company will (eventually) bill you on what they ~estimate~ you used. A recipe for getting turbo hosed with no leg to stand on and little, if any, recourse.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Just Winging It posted:

I may not be from the UK, but at least where I live a broken meter means the gas company will (eventually) bill you on what they ~estimate~ you used. A recipe for getting turbo hosed with no leg to stand on and little, if any, recourse.

This is usually what happens yes, but seeing as that meter is now gone and the final amount was logged on the system as the closeout to switch to a new one it's all official.

It wouldn't have actually been much money anyway, but it's odd that apparently nobody was checking if the smart meter was actually doing anything.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
That's usually the case in my experience. Once something gets automated people just assume it works, and it's not their problem if it doesn't.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's currently a mild scandal in Ireland with smart meters not being close enough to each other to report back (because they're all peer-to-peer apparently?) resulting in rural customers getting hosed on the bills and charged for manual readings. People are, fairly, pounting out that this is basically false advertising on the part of the various utilities and it looks like they're going to get hosed by the government for misleading the public.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Turns out it’s likely due to some form of data migration hell as I’m in the middle of being moved (without being asked) to their “new energy platform” at the same time as they’re shutting off the old smart meters so half their systems say one thing and the others say another.

“It says here you don’t have any smart meters”
“When was the last meter reading you received?”
“October 31st.. from a smart meter.. oh”

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Turns out it’s likely due to some form of data migration hell as I’m in the middle of being moved (without being asked) to their “new energy platform” at the same time as they’re shutting off the old smart meters so half their systems say one thing and the others say another.

“It says here you don’t have any smart meters”
“When was the last meter reading you received?”
“October 31st.. from a smart meter.. oh”

Oh lol now you're hosed!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Check the website in a month, was their advice.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Alright today I put the first coat of paint on the architrave and got about 10cm into doing the skirting before concluding absolutely gently caress doing this myself I'm hiring a painter.

So I'll do that at some point.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004
And then get grumpy at the painter for doing a poo poo job, fire him, and spend the next five years planning sanding and repainting your skirting?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

£340 quote. Maybe I can suffer through doing it myself after all.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

It’s a poo poo of a job Do you have knee pads?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Could you put a paintbrush on the robo mower?

e: or pay a teenager to do it as I was one summer because my dad didn't want to pay a professional to do the job

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Update for you grasspeepers; the grass is no longer growing and the mower will be going into hibernation shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

If you've not got a union jack imprinted in your paint trays, what's even the point.

1? 2? year old satinwood, "white".

Better.

First coat all round.

Might do the second coat tomorrow. Not fun but not that bad in the end. The area around the brickwork was a real pain to do without going up on the bricks.