Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Aphrodite posted:

The source for that is very questionable.

Well that's egg on my face. Hope he pulls through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Rangers might have won tonight, but they also gave up a short-handed goal to Tyler Myers.

That's got to be worth at least -3 points in the standings.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
horseshit ending.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Kraken have blown a multigoal lead in 3 straight games. They don't suck exactly but they are not good. Frustrating step backwards for a team that had the opportunity to be good for a while.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

grack posted:

Rangers might have won tonight, but they also gave up a short-handed goal to Tyler Myers.

Oh come on you can't just make up such outlandish cla-HUHHHH?

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

poo poo was unassisted too lol

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Mr. Fish posted:

Well that's egg on my face. Hope he pulls through.

dunno if you were wrong brew...

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/PanthersIHC/status/1718550740028039300

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Jesus

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Guess they gotta have one mandated Vietnam combat medic at every hockey game from now on.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

heehee posted:

dunno if you were wrong brew...

gently caress.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Arivia posted:

Guess they gotta have one mandated Vietnam combat medic at every hockey game from now on.

Probably needs to be Afghanistan these days.

A real tragedy

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Looking forward to the Caps-Sharks poo poo-off today.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Caps are definitely bad, but the Sharks are on a whole other level. Like, the Caps have won some games and have more than 8 goals, for example.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I have no idea how this doesn't happen more often

Moving around as fast as pros do, trying to beat the crap out of each other with razor blades strapped to their feet

rip

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Feel bad for Karlsson, he just keeps getting traded from one shitshow to another he looked miserable last night :smith:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Karlsson's probably getting traded again at the deadline. And the Sharks are probably going to get the #1 pick in 2025.

Extending Jarry long term was a giant mistake. He's completely broken. The team is horribly hosed right now with Nedeljkovic injured and Jarry permanently brokebrained. It was entertaining watching Magnus Hellberg try to play goalie in the NHL last night. Just comically overmatched. If you'd told me he was an EBUG it would not have occurred to me to doubt it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Someone has to get fired over the Pens power play. Good $DEITY is it an atrocity. You kind of expect the PK to be bad because they're so slow and have no goalie (and yet the PK is actually respectable so far). But there is no excuse for the Penguins having one of the very worst power plays in the NHL.

Taking this job is gonna be a career ender for Dubas. He probably doesn't even have the authority to fire Sullivan.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chiarelli is about to be a GM again so i doubt Dubas career is over

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good point. He's at least going to have to do some years in lesser jobs before he gets hired by a clownshow organization for one last gasp as a GM

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Once Chiarelli torches the Senators org, Dubas can run his favorite team.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That Adam Johnson news is just terrible. I remember him. And he wasn't even that old.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Karlsson's probably getting traded again at the deadline. And the Sharks are probably going to get the #1 pick in 2025.

Extending Jarry long term was a giant mistake. He's completely broken. The team is horribly hosed right now with Nedeljkovic injured and Jarry permanently brokebrained. It was entertaining watching Magnus Hellberg try to play goalie in the NHL last night. Just comically overmatched. If you'd told me he was an EBUG it would not have occurred to me to doubt it.

I don't see what else there is left to do at this point except for fire Sullivan. They've tried everything else.

It might not do anything but it's the last big move left that Dubas (and previous regimes) haven't tried.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 29, 2023

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Not that it matters much, but the crowd in the British league is all kids and families and the like. Just horrible

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Once Chiarelli torches the Senators org, Dubas can run his favorite team.

Poor Sens fans, just when Melnyk goes and dies then this

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

That Adam Johnson news is just terrible. I remember him. And he wasn't even that old.

I don't see what else there is left to do at this point except for fire Sullivan. They've tried everything else.

It might not do anything but it's the last big move left that Dubas (and previous regimes) haven't tried.

At this point they should be doing everything they can to get Celebrini. Which the way things are going just means stay the course, no changes! They're going to give the Sharks a top 3 pick next year, that's inevitable now, so they might as well get all the way in the tank now.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

At this point they should be doing everything they can to get Celebrini. Which the way things are going just means stay the course, no changes! They're going to give the Sharks a top 3 pick next year, that's inevitable now, so they might as well get all the way in the tank now.

I don't think they'll be that bad. They are #2 in the league in 5v5 xgoals. If that continues they'll start winning some games at some point.

A bad start like this may cost them a playoff spot again though. And then next year they may be dire if the stars decline more and the bottom six remains....this.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Pens are a very good spreadsheet team and a not so good actual team. Imo part of this is system, part of it is age/general decline, part is continued reliance on inconsistency to resolve into both consistency and 'good' side of consistency...and of course another complete failure in roster construction.

Then there is the execution side of the game sucks poo poo...just gaping wide mistakes... certain star players just saying gently caress it and instead of setting an example they take stupid rear end penalties that require the rest of the team to bail them out of. It very much seems like there is a whole lot of mouth service to doing things, but the player actions tell a different story. And it's hard not to think certain other parts of the roster become resentful of having to actually do the dirty work while others coast on the rest of their career. Have to say the easiest corrective action is a complete shakeup in the coaching staff...which likely will also lead to ruin but differently.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The Pens ebbed and flowed into two championship windows and remained a perennial playoff team for 2 decades.

In short, gently caress the Pens. Regression to the mean is a bitch, especially in the Metro.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Jarry is bad though and thinking he was going to be anything other than an inconsistent NHL below average with a good showing here and there is insane.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Pens are a very good spreadsheet team and a not so good actual team. Imo part of this is system, part of it is age/general decline, part is continued reliance on inconsistency to resolve into both consistency and 'good' side of consistency...and of course another complete failure in roster construction.

Then there is the execution side of the game sucks poo poo...just gaping wide mistakes... certain star players just saying gently caress it and instead of setting an example they take stupid rear end penalties that require the rest of the team to bail them out of. It very much seems like there is a whole lot of mouth service to doing things, but the player actions tell a different story. And it's hard not to think certain other parts of the roster become resentful of having to actually do the dirty work while others coast on the rest of their career. Have to say the easiest corrective action is a complete shakeup in the coaching staff...which likely will also lead to ruin but differently.

I'd agree that the stats are probably kinder to them than they deserve.

Still, I think there's enough competence there that they'll be fairly similar to what they were last year which is a team that will finish just outside the playoffs or maybe at best just barely into a playoff spot.

I am interested to see what Dubas would do if they do actually bottom out this year. Firing Sullivan seems certain at that point and I wonder what that would mean for the decision to bring back Guentzel.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

I do not want Guentzel back and I'm dreading the contract they give him.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't think they'll be that bad. They are #2 in the league in 5v5 xgoals. If that continues they'll start winning some games at some point.

Ok, but we're talking about a team that has played a pretty soft schedule so far and is one (1) point out of dead last place

Guentzel should be traded for prospects/picks. Karlsson too, if he shows the slightest interest in it.

I don't think the Pens will fire Sullivan during the season but I do think a departure will be negotiated next summer. I doubt he really wants to continue in Pittsburgh.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I know I know that yeah, Chiarelli is gonna get the GM role. But, hear me out, what if instead they went with Alfie? Come on, that's a perfect idea.

Also, Chiarelli is gonna get it yes, but which one? Maybe it's a swerve, and it's instead the former corrupt as poo poo mayor and cabinet minister, or the former corrupt as poo poo and sexpest city councillor I had as my rep for ~8+ years

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen with his first career shutout.

Avalanche have been shutout twice in a row, 4-0 both games, after winning their first six. Very strange!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Diet Crack posted:

In short, gently caress the Pens. Regression to the mean is a bitch, especially in the Metro.

You loving love to see it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

I know I know that yeah, Chiarelli is gonna get the GM role. But, hear me out, what if instead they went with Alfie? Come on, that's a perfect idea.

Also, Chiarelli is gonna get it yes, but which one? Maybe it's a swerve, and it's instead the former corrupt as poo poo mayor and cabinet minister, or the former corrupt as poo poo and sexpest city councillor I had as my rep for ~8+ years

Time for a three headed monster

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Kind of lost in of this I would like to take an extremely hearty lol at Edmonton who are worse the Pens with none of the success and off to an even worse start.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

jesus christ. I don't care how much of a "freak accident" it was mandate neck guards

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

secret volcano lair posted:

jesus christ. I don't care how much of a "freak accident" it was mandate neck guards

is that was happened? he took a skate to the neck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
yeah, it was another malarkchuk / zednik thing