Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

joylessdivision posted:

LONG slog of meandering plot, God awful writing and bland as gently caress acting.

No this is what fnaf is supposed to he lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

How exactly does the scam work in the new Saw? The trailer made it seem a bit elaborate to be just rip him off for a bunch of money. The wiki summary doesn’t make it very clear either.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

U got cancer? We got the cure. Give us money

Jiggy sees enough and believes it until he goes to investigate himself

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CelticPredator posted:

No this is what fnaf is supposed to he lmao

zoomers like ✧˖° ˖⁺‧₊˚✦LoRe✧˖° ˖⁺‧₊˚✦ ִֶ

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

U got cancer? We got the cure. Give us money

if u have 2 ask

ask

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

FNAF just made me want to watch Willy's Wonderland again. Also give me a sequel where Nick Cage just continues to fight satanic things without ever saying a word

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Len posted:

FNAF just made me want to watch Willy's Wonderland again. Also give me a sequel where Nick Cage just continues to fight satanic things without ever saying a word

He should join Russel Crowe's squad in The Pope's Exorcist II. Just constantly scowling at Crowe's tiny Vespa and big accent.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Prefacing that I want this to be good

https://twitter.com/neonrated/status/1719070984173482032?s=20

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It Follows is one of my favorite horror movies from the past decade. Maybe my top of the past decade. I also really love Under the Silver Lake, I thought that's one of the only movies to really 'get' the conspiracy theory mindset. Really hope this is good. Also hope that it doesn't go with the sequel idea from years ago of the characters trying to find the original victim of the creature, that seems like a route that would just get bogged down in lore and unveiling too much of the mystery.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grendels Dad posted:

He should join Russel Crowe's squad in The Pope's Exorcist II. Just constantly scowling at Crowe's tiny Vespa and big accent.

I hope these do well enough that we got a Fast and the Furious level of escalation with The Pope's Exorcist In Space and such, like by the 10th movie Russel Crowe is just playing Doomguy

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I heard that David Robert Mitchell walked into Neon's offices, wrote "It Follows," replaced the "s" with a dollar sign, then awkwardly had to erase it in order to maintain subject/verb agreement when he changed "it" to "they."

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Fnaf made 130m on a 20m budget :eyepop:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Jesus, and that's with launching day and date on a streaming service.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Did it make more than the Taylor swift movie?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ruddiger posted:

Did it make more than the Taylor swift movie?
Over the weekend? Yeah, but not total.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

wonder if the Qcels are buying empty theaters again with the church collection plates since it's a movie about made up child kidnappings by a trumpy christian

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The Taylor swift eras is supposedly the biggest opening ever for a concert movie and now has grossed 200m worldwide, which is dwarfed by concert earnings of at least 1b

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Jesus, and that's with launching day and date on a streaming service.

People really overestimate how much this matters for a film’s gross.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Alan Smithee posted:

wonder if the Qcels are buying empty theaters again with the church collection plates since it's a movie about made up child kidnappings by a trumpy christian

It doesn't need some grand conspiracy to be popular. It was and still is very popular among young kids. I don't think most FNAF fans even know about the politics of the creator. I doubt there are empty theaters for them to even buy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I didn't realize that the Ghostbusters Afterlife sequel had already filmed but they're talking about a trailer soon and I guess it comes out in March.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I love It Follows and am looking forward to this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pirate Jet posted:

People really overestimate how much this matters for a film’s gross.
I think it's less impactful for horror movies

Like I imagine that if you wanted to watch the FNAF movie you are probably going to the theater to see it with someone

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The Taylor swift eras is supposedly the biggest opening ever for a concert movie and now has grossed 200m worldwide, which is dwarfed by concert earnings of at least 1b

I'm gonna be the :corsair: but how did Taylor Swift get so overwhelmingly big this year? She has always been popular but all of a sudden she seems inescapable.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

libs needed a Hillary but cool

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

I heard that David Robert Mitchell walked into Neon's offices, wrote "It Follows," replaced the "s" with a dollar sign, then awkwardly had to erase it in order to maintain subject/verb agreement when he changed "it" to "they."

I want you to know that I appreciated this joke very much.

It is the biggest ominous plural since "Aliens"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Feldegast42 posted:

I'm gonna be the :corsair: but how did Taylor Swift get so overwhelmingly big this year? She has always been popular but all of a sudden she seems inescapable.

She's always been big, but she's turned an unfavourable situation into an unprecedented marketing strategy that has worked far beyond her wildest dreams, ah-ah, ha.

Somewhere just after recording her 6th album Reputation, she left the record label Big Machine and joined another one where she had more creative and IP control. Big Machine was subsequently bought by Scooter Braun in 2019, which meant that Braun holds the rights to her recordings in those 6 albums. She had had some run-ins with Braun (there's some allegation that he was partially responsible for her beef with Kanye West and the Kardishans) and she also discovered his purchase of those recordings meant that he would reap all profit from any replay of those songs. Braun's VC company offered her a deal where she would get ownership of those 6 earlier albums if she recorded 6 more new albums for them, which she rejected then publicly revealed to all her fans.

Arising from that she announced that she was going to take ownership of her songs by producing new versions of the 6 albums with "Taylor's version" attached to the titles, promising better production value, better vocals and also a more mature approach to the songs. So far she has reached the 5th album 1989 and all the fans have been eating all these up like crazy, critically some of them are actually better (including a much longer version of a song that revealed Jake Gyllenheal was the ex she was writing about in the original) but overall they are largely the same but with tighter production. She also call each of these albums specific "eras" because they were supposedly so different from each other, which is arguable, but also fans ate the poo poo out of all this.

It also made sense for companies to use the "Taylor's version" songs because of their higher production value and did you really want to piss off one of the biggest pop stars in the world. They actually chose to wait for a Taylor's Version to be released before they use her songs for advertising.

Braun has recently revealed he regretted the purchase but he still made some clean profit of a few hundred millions, and everyone has been treating this as a win of a singer against the goliath of PE/VC investment firms coldly purchasing recordings to gently caress over artists.

This is still Taylor though, she's one of the most calculative businesswomen and entrepreneurs in the world and she absolutely knew the risks and rewards she could reap out of what could be a lifelong legal nightmare that has plagued musicians before her. Anyway stream 1989 Taylor's Version right now.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Also studios pushing around their movies because of the strike meant she was able to release her concert film into theaters at a time when people don't have much other reason to go to the theater.

I'm sure record labels have learned from the "Taylors version" situation and are now writing into contracts that their artists can't just re-record their songs to regain some ownership of them.

But lets not forget the most important thing , Taylor Swift was in the movie Cats (2019). And her current success is just the waves from that catching up to her.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

$they Follow$

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Th€¥ Fo££ow

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The Saddest Rhino posted:

She's always been big, but she's turned an unfavourable situation into an unprecedented marketing strategy that has worked far beyond her wildest dreams, ah-ah, ha.

Somewhere just after recording her 6th album Reputation, she left the record label Big Machine and joined another one where she had more creative and IP control. Big Machine was subsequently bought by Scooter Braun in 2019, which meant that Braun holds the rights to her recordings in those 6 albums. She had had some run-ins with Braun (there's some allegation that he was partially responsible for her beef with Kanye West and the Kardishans) and she also discovered his purchase of those recordings meant that he would reap all profit from any replay of those songs. Braun's VC company offered her a deal where she would get ownership of those 6 earlier albums if she recorded 6 more new albums for them, which she rejected then publicly revealed to all her fans.

Arising from that she announced that she was going to take ownership of her songs by producing new versions of the 6 albums with "Taylor's version" attached to the titles, promising better production value, better vocals and also a more mature approach to the songs. So far she has reached the 5th album 1989 and all the fans have been eating all these up like crazy, critically some of them are actually better (including a much longer version of a song that revealed Jake Gyllenheal was the ex she was writing about in the original) but overall they are largely the same but with tighter production. She also call each of these albums specific "eras" because they were supposedly so different from each other, which is arguable, but also fans ate the poo poo out of all this.

It also made sense for companies to use the "Taylor's version" songs because of their higher production value and did you really want to piss off one of the biggest pop stars in the world. They actually chose to wait for a Taylor's Version to be released before they use her songs for advertising.

Braun has recently revealed he regretted the purchase but he still made some clean profit of a few hundred millions, and everyone has been treating this as a win of a singer against the goliath of PE/VC investment firms coldly purchasing recordings to gently caress over artists.

This is still Taylor though, she's one of the most calculative businesswomen and entrepreneurs in the world and she absolutely knew the risks and rewards she could reap out of what could be a lifelong legal nightmare that has plagued musicians before her. Anyway stream 1989 Taylor's Version right now.

Well drat then, good for her.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There’s also a weird part where TS’ father (a very wealthy man) may have had the option to buy the catalogue and passed on it.

Scooter is no doubt a scumbag but there’s more to it than “poor Taylor” imo

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My partner is a Swifty and as she lay in the hospital bed recovering from just having pushed out a baby without an epidural gasped

"Hey guess what, she was born the day Tswifts 1989 dropped"

I've been making fun of her about that for days

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

I didn't realize that the Ghostbusters Afterlife sequel had already filmed but they're talking about a trailer soon and I guess it comes out in March.
They were initially aiming for November or December of this year which seemed really unlikely. As it was only filmed in the spring and it will almost certainly be effects heavy. That takes a lot of time.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I wondered about the success of a concert movie, then read about a mom taking her young daughter and friends to see it, and realized it's a far more viable option than taking your kids to an actual concert.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

I wondered about the success of a concert movie, then read about a mom taking her young daughter and friends to see it, and realized it's a far more viable option than taking your kids to an actual concert.

Not to mention tickets for the Eras tour are very expensive, and sold out INCREDIBLY early (with one presale being so botched by Ticketmaster that Congress almost got involved), so for millions of people this is the next best thing.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think it's less impactful for horror movies

Like I imagine that if you wanted to watch the FNAF movie you are probably going to the theater to see it with someone

At this point it’s completely sporadic whether or not a film does well in theaters if it also came out on streaming same day to the degree that you can’t just point to it and blame it for financial woes. Dune, Godzilla vs Kong, Halloween Kills and Ends, and Mortal Kombat all came out on streaming the same day and did well (relative to other movies at the time) at the box office, and as we’ve seen lately, the entire theatrical box office is in a slump right now. At this point I’m starting to believe that the idea that simultaneous streaming releases kill box office exists because it’s what The Suicide Squad bombing got blamed on despite the million other factors as to why that movie flopped.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The other thing with Taylor Swift is that she had gotten into a pattern of doing a world tour for each album she released. But due to Covid, the last tour was Reputation in 2018. (There was supposed to be a Lover tour in 2020 that no one will ever see.) She also increased her release rate so there were four pretty diverse albums since Reputation. So lots of pent up demand, lots of songs she had never toured on.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Ccs posted:

Also studios pushing around their movies because of the strike meant she was able to release her concert film into theaters at a time when people don't have much other reason to go to the theater.

I'm sure record labels have learned from the "Taylors version" situation and are now writing into contracts that their artists can't just re-record their songs to regain some ownership of them.

There actually were movies lined up for the weekend of the concert movie. Exorcist Believer moved up a week to clear a path because presale tickets for the concert movie were absolutely nuts.

Also, Taylor did have a "you cannot re-record your albums" clause in her contract because copyright for music is more author focused so you can't be locked out indefinitely. The problem is before the standard was like 5 years because it was a loser to do. To make it work, you either needed to self-finance or get a different studio to back you, both of these are extensively expensive propositions. Then on top of that you'd need to get your fans to actually buy the new album (or in new media's case, stream only the new version). And from there, you'd still be screwed because the older versions still exist and if someone wants to use the song, they now have 2 competing sources that can be pit against each other for a much lower rate.

Then Taylor actually loving did it. I think her first re-record did ok but it was definitely seen as a novelty and streams were split pretty evenly between the two albums but it's definitely shifted progressively more towards Taylor's version as fans have stuck with her and gotten more on board with each subsequent album.

To get back to the original point, after Taylor basically went scorched earth with fan backing, studios have heavily increased the time limit for when you can re-record in new artist contracts.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I believe she also made (in the US at least) a distribution deal with AMC directly to show the tour film in cinemas, as regular distributors wanted too much of a cut - so she got more money out of it, and AMC also got a much larger share than they do for a regular film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Carpet posted:

I believe she also made (in the US at least) a distribution deal with AMC directly to show the tour film in cinemas, as regular distributors wanted too much of a cut - so she got more money out of it, and AMC also got a much larger share than they do for a regular film.

She did, which also allowed her to easily navigate the SAG/AFTRA strike since AMC is not a member of AMPTP and made the film basically instantly in compliance.