Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

nonathlon posted:

CinemaSins suffers from the inevitable fate of any mocking format: you start out making fun of genuinely stupid or ridiculous things, then eventually you mine out your source material entirely, have nothing left but your outrage, and so just have to make things up. See any number of mock threads on these forums.

Yeah I used to like Cinema Sins when it was new because each was just a short little video making fun of a well known dumb and bad movie. But there are only so many movies that are both 1: Exceptionally dumb or bad in a notable way, and 2: Also fairly well known so people will actually click on the video. Sure there are infinite bad movies out there, but no one’s going to click on a video mocking some random some low budget direct to vhs film no one knew existed. So the quest for driving up user clicks eventually steers you to just doing every big release that just came out, because your out of material otherwise and that drives the most clicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Grillers of the Flour Moon was good, felt as long as it was though. Really wrenched my gut from the middle on. Didn't care all that much for how Scorsese decided to end it.
It looked very nice and the music was cool.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

happy Halloween. I am partway through my annual relisten/catch-up of the knifepoint horror podcast. the episode lockbox is a good one if you want to check it out.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tagra posted:

We watched Christine (1983) tonight.

You are being chased by a possessed car. Do you:

A: Stand in the middle of the road
B: Stand literally anywhere else at all

We've been watching a lot of old movies for Halloween and it's been making me do a lot of reading on the special effects.

In Christine, they filmed the car regenerating by fabricating rubber bits then using hydraulics and vacuum to crumple it, then reversed the film.

Little Shop of Horrors has absolutely amazing puppetry, filmed at low framerate then sped up to be more realistic. Rick Moranis acted a bunch of the scenes in slow motion to match the speed.

In Arachnophobia, they used real spiders from New Zealand, all chosen for their friendliness. The cast loved them so much they adopted a bunch of them, which sounds exactly like something the PR department would make them say for this film. "The spiders were so friendly and we didn't hurt any of them and we took them home as pets afterward!"
The spiders hate lemon pledge, so they sprayed lines of pledge to act as walls and then sprayed air at the spiders to make them scurry along set paths.

The loving bees scene from Candyman!

Really making me think about how all of these movies would use CGI nowadays, and they'd probably go over the top with the "OOGILY BOOGILY"s when animating and it's simply not as interesting.
Christine kicks rear end. i cannot help but think the Marxist themes were deliberate.

mawarannahr posted:

Christine is more interesting than I thought. it’s covering commodity fetishism, identification with and alienation from the product of your labor, and how there are roads loving everywhere so you can have a hard time running away from cars.

wasp bourgeois ideals making it an embarrassment for the nerd to take shop class

fear if the machine coming alive. the dead labor embodied within, hinted at in the beginning with the assembly line scene, coming back to haunt you.

e: the solution really is:

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 12:59 on Oct 31, 2023

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I watched Predator 2 yesterday. Best movie about LA.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
my favorite part of Christine is when Henry Dean Stanton shows up as the detective at the end and is like "classic case of haunted car, nothing more to see here"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The killer car dude in Christine is super hot and that doesn't get talked about enough.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Riot Bimbo posted:

I don't like mr. beast's gimmick at all, but he seems alright.

until it comes out the nicer side of his gimmick is pure facade and he's some kind of actual demon

what even is his gimmick?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

indigi posted:

wasn't there an interview about Christine where the actor asked the director why he'd be running in the street instead of running into the woods and the director replied "because it's a movie"

I noticed this on Wikipedia:

quote:

According to Carpenter, Christine was not a film he had planned on directing, saying that he directed the film as "a job" as opposed to a "personal project." He had previously directed The Thing, which had done poorly at the box office and led to critical backlash. In retrospect, Carpenter stated that upon reading Christine, he felt that "It just wasn't very frightening. But it was something I needed to do at that time for my career."

So he might have been phoning it in, somewhat.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

my favorite part of Christine is when Henry Dean Stanton shows up as the detective at the end and is like "classic case of haunted car, nothing more to see here"

lol yeah

We also watched Carrie and drat, John Travola is ridiculous in that. And the greaser dude in Christine was basically the same character except not John Travola this time.

[edit] My favourite part of Carrie was when they spent five minutes zooming in on the bucket and the rope leading the bucket as if the audience wouldn't realize the bucket is there or what it was for after we had just spent like half the movie watching them set up the bucket.

Tagra has issued a correction as of 14:26 on Oct 31, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tagra posted:

My favourite part of Carrie was when they spent five minutes zooming in on the bucket and the rope leading the bucket as if the audience wouldn't realize the bucket is there or what it was for after we had just spent like half the movie watching them set up the bucket.

That's the best part of the film though!

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

your periodic reminder that freaked is on youtube ad free in hd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbFfhcDmFJY

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Tagra posted:

I noticed this on Wikipedia:

So he might have been phoning it in, somewhat.

lol yeah

We also watched Carrie and drat, John Travola is ridiculous in that. And the greaser dude in Christine was basically the same character except not John Travola this time.

[edit] My favourite part of Carrie was when they spent five minutes zooming in on the bucket and the rope leading the bucket as if the audience wouldn't realize the bucket is there or what it was for after we had just spent like half the movie watching them set up the bucket.

Stephen King must have had some bad run-ins with greasers during his childhood because evil greasers are a theme throughout his body of work.

Carrie's a good movie. Brian De Palma might not be a consistent director, but he has a lot of good moments in his filmography.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

C-Euro posted:

What's Ninja up to these days, that's the only other A-list streamer who I can remember.

hes making more money than lebron

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

is Christine "rockabilly?"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Christine is a cautionary tale about the dangers of Rockabillyism and car culture

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

hes making more money than lebron

LeBron makes 100m a year just from Nike

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

C-Euro posted:

What's Ninja up to these days, that's the only other A-list streamer who I can remember.

Playing and posting about fortnite

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

indigi posted:

LeBron makes 100m a year just from Nike

Ninja makes more than that

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Ninja makes more than that

unlikely but that's still only ~half of lebron's publicized income

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

indigi posted:

unlikely but that's still only ~half of lebron's publicized income

Prove it

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

is Christine "rockabilly?"

it's a psychobilly freakout

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

as far as I can tell the most ninja made in a year was 75mil in 2019, so no. LeBron beats that with just his NBA and endorsement deals

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

indigi posted:

as far as I can tell the most ninja made in a year was 75mil in 2019, so no. LeBron beats that with just his NBA and endorsement deals

Citation?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...sh=7971f3bbee31

a simple search reveals the nba part isnt even right @_@

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

why is the burden of proof on indigi

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

google.com/what+did+ninja+earn+most+highest

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

There we go. Irrefutable proof.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

you missed the "and" operator. NBA + annual endorsement earnings ~103/yr @_@

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

indigi posted:

you missed the "and" operator. NBA + annual endorsement earnings ~103/yr @_@

its okay to be wrong man

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it is?? gently caress

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
More like LeBroke

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

More like LeBroke

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lebroke crying some mickey mouse tears while making less money than ninja

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

no wonder his vanity project elementary school is a shambles. he's out of money to pay the teachers

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

More like LeBroke

AnimeIsTrash posted:

lebroke crying some mickey mouse tears while making less money than ninja

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

He was really banking on Space Jam 2 having a bigger box office return but somehow managed to be less charismatic than Michael Jordan in the first one

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

More like LeBroke

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Stephen King must have had some bad run-ins with greasers during his childhood because evil greasers are a theme throughout his body of work.

see also: Sometimes They Come Back and The Dark Half

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Stephen King must of had a bad run in with cum-encrusted sheets cause it's also a theme throughout his body of work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ninja is better than LeBron at Fortnite and basketball