Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

You win multiple Cups with Lemieux-Jagr in the 90's, suck for a bit and rebuild, and then win multiple Cups with Crosby/Malkin through a 16 year playoff streak. The Pens notoriously start slow and then turn on the heat late and either make the playoffs or barely miss (last year) and the same is likely to happen again this year considering their core is still going to be very effective.

The fact that some people in here actually believe they will be a lottery team is truly delusional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Especially when the league is doing poo poo like this for them

https://twitter.com/ginohard_/status/1719153066518409414?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If they miss the playoffs by 1 point they will absolutely win the lottery

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I've been trying to make sense of that call and I've got nothing

Admittedly the rules around being in the crease are loving arcane at the best of times so maybe that's it? Is it disallowed if the offensive player is entirely in the paint before the puck or is it entirely predicated on the nudge he gives to Karlsson?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

fawning deference posted:

You win multiple Cups with Lemieux-Jagr in the 90's, suck for a bit and rebuild, and then win multiple Cups with Crosby/Malkin through a 16 year playoff streak. The Pens notoriously start slow and then turn on the heat late and either make the playoffs or barely miss (last year) and the same is likely to happen again this year considering their core is still going to be very effective.

The fact that some people in here actually believe they will be a lottery team is truly delusional.

what, you think the next generational player is going to just walk into the pens dressing room one day?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Diet Crack posted:

If they miss the playoffs by 1 point they will absolutely win the lottery

(pushing glasses up nose) with the new lottery rules, they’d have to finish no worse than 11th to have a chance to win the lottery since teams can’t jump up more than 10 slots anymore

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

It's just me. And it's the rest of you that are delusional. :colbert:

What you see is what you get from this team. They are exactly what they look like. There is no hidden dragon here. There is no defense and no goalie. Sullivan has gone stale and the team will probably get a good dead cat bounce when he goes. They won't finish bottom five. But they'll most likely finish bottom ten.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Admittedly the rules around being in the crease are loving arcane at the best of times so maybe that's it? Is it disallowed if the offensive player is entirely in the paint before the puck or is it entirely predicated on the nudge he gives to Karlsson?

I'd be okay with a "No non-goalies in the crease, ever" rule if it would help clarify these things. But then we'd end up with more agonizing slow motion reviews the an offsides review where they scan the recording back and forth until they finally determine that an atom of the skate was over the line, and I'm not sure having multiple of those every game is going to be less frustrating than nebulous interference calls.
Might be less frustrating than a non-call when a player is literally lying on top of your goalie, though.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Dear god no, that was so fuckin bad.

Then they let Brett Hull do it anyway because he's just that cool! And they were right.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

This poo poo was unbelievable. Then the thinskinned piece of poo poo ref got his feelings hurt when Cronin went off on him and handed out a bench minor and an ejection as well.
What a roller coaster this game was

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

They aren't a lotto team. They're more akin to a number of the Flyers circus acts that provided unending entertainment to everyone but their fans with the ways they find to lose and under perform. Yes PAS says this every year then the team 'turns it on', but of course we saw how last year went and this year they have every single issue they had last year, thus far, and more! It's been a multi-year trend that the Pens have blown huge leads, have questionable special teams, and gigantic brain farts/sections of games that cost them wins. At this point there is absolutely no one you can point to other than Sullivan. Will firing him improve the team? :shrug: probably not maybe? If they just hand the reigns to Reirden welp :suicide: they are going to suck harder. He is an unbelievably bad coaching assistant.

Jarry has, so far, fully answered his critics....that he absolutely is not worth half his contract. Dubas absolutely needs to do something immediately to address this situation before whatever shreds of capability left in Jarry disappear to either salvage the player or vague 'value' left in him. The other thing loving someone has to do is shake the loving lines up. It's the same 4 lines they've had all year minus the loser they rewaived because, it turns out, using a guy that has never scored to try and score means they don't score. 9 games into the season and only 1 goal from not the top 6. Forget not being good enough that is just flat out really really bad.
Edit: I think the Pens really messed up signing White over Wagner. You can't even pretend that White can play in the top 6. Wagner....eh maybe? Probably not. But, as it stands, there isn't anyone in the bottom 6 you can say 'yeah put them up with Geno and move people around/up/down'. It's really bad roster construction again. Of course having Carter and his 3.2 million dollar anchor plus the 1.5 million in Petry money retained and 900k in Jack Johnson buy out really really pinching your cap. 5.5 million dollars in dead cap only makes it even harder to pretend to be competitive.

tl;dr - Rejoice the Pens are a circus of under achieving and exciting ways to lose games they shouldn't.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 31, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Pens have a bad bottom six, bad defensemen and terrible goaltending, but they're a good team that's just underachieving

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Okay but are you aware that we are only 9 games into the season? Frank Vatrano has 9 goals. I have been shown throughout the years that nothing really matters until December starts. That's when enough of the season has gone by and you can get a fair read on the team. Anyone can have a bad 9 games.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
More like the Pens are, currently, a top 5 spreadsheet team at 5v5 and all situations sunk by their weaknesses in goaltending and allergic reaction to scoring.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Pens have a bad bottom six, bad defensemen and terrible goaltending, but they're a good team that's just underachieving

Karlsson, Letang, Graves, and Pettersson has time to get there. Those are not bad players. The overreacting seems ridiculous honestly. It should certainly be good enough to have the Pens be in the playoff mix like they are every year. People have been saying "this is the year they finally start to suck" for 5 years now and they always find a way to make noise in the second half.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Okay but are you aware that we are only 9 games into the season? Frank Vatrano has 9 goals. I have been shown throughout the years that nothing really matters until December starts. That's when enough of the season has gone by and you can get a fair read on the team. Anyone can have a bad 9 games.

It looks like you're saying Frank the Frank isn't going to win the rocket with 82 goals, but I'm sure that's not what you meant

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah. The Pens are bad in unique ways that the fancystats are unable to deal with. That's what I've been saying.

We'll see. It is early. I hope I'm wrong. But I've been dead right about them for several years, including that they'd be a playoff bubble team last year and that they'd be a solid non-playoff team this year. They are the oldest team in the league. Even if they're better than they've looked so far, there are going to be injuries that will more than make up for that.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

People have been saying "this is the year they finally start to suck" for 5 years now and they always find a way to make noise in the second half.

Ahh but have you considered that if they say this every year eventually they will be right and then they can say "see? I knew it"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oshie’s company is sold out of the slash resistant neck gear and are racing to keep up with demand.

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.c...on/#more-466204

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Karlsson, Letang, Graves, and Pettersson has time to get there. Those are not bad players. The overreacting seems ridiculous honestly. It should certainly be good enough to have the Pens be in the playoff mix like they are every year. People have been saying "this is the year they finally start to suck" for 5 years now and they always find a way to make noise in the second half.

PAS is going to post expansive complaints about depth forwards nobody knows or cares about whether they are winning or losing, so it's kind of moot IMO

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

There was probably (see: was) a time when people thought helmets didn't look cool

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

The rules about the crease are perfectly sensible. Inside the crease, the goalie has the right to move freely, and if an attacking player in the way prevents him from making a save it's interference (except of course when he's bulldozed into the goalie by a defender or whatever)

Outside the crease, goalies are no more special than any other player -- contact or a moving pick is still interference, a player parked there first is not.

Looks like clear interference to me. lol pens

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

PAS is going to post expansive complaints about depth forwards nobody knows or cares about whether they are winning or losing, so it's kind of moot IMO

Woah woah woah someone brought up skater speed and I didn't even mention.....

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

We might be talking past each other a little, because "in the lottery" is not actually very far out of the playoffs. I'm not expecting the Pens to be bottom five this year. (Next year? Absolutely.) I do expect them to be comfortably outside the playoffs, between a distant 5th and a close 7th in the Metro, which would put them... in the back end of the lottery. It baffles me that this is seen as controversial.

It's also bewildering that you all assume the oldest team the NHL has seen in years should be expected to finish strong. They collapsed down the stretch last year. As you might well expect, since the season is long and they are ancient. If they're going to go on a tear it had damned well better be soon.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

fisting by many posted:

The rules about the crease are perfectly sensible. Inside the crease, the goalie has the right to move freely, and if an attacking player in the way prevents him from making a save it's interference (except of course when he's bulldozed into the goalie by a defender or whatever)

Outside the crease, goalies are no more special than any other player -- contact or a moving pick is still interference, a player parked there first is not.

Looks like clear interference to me. lol pens

Right the issue is the attacking player makes no direct contact with the goalie there. He brushes into Karlsson who stumbles and cross-checks Jarry
I've seen dozens of instances of more direct interference called as incidental contact

not that I would mind it getting called this way more often, goalies are fragile enough with their hips exploding that they shouldn't have to worry about people getting in their space

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/unfortunatehky/status/1719174590994219496?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

The Pens having a 5-on-3 with 22 seconds left and losing in regulation fuckin rules, sick clapper from the point, Geno

I like how there are two Pens set up on either side of the net, both on the wrong side to take a one timer or really any shot.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

There was probably (see: was) a time when people thought helmets didn't look cool

I cannot imagine being one of the last remaining NHLers to hold out on wearing a helmet (IIRC there was a grandfather clause when they were made mandatory and it'd be like 12 years before the last helmetless player retired)

Never mind the low chance of being hit with a puck or stick, you could easily bounce your head off someone else's helmet trying to throw a hit, or the glass, or whatever. Not to mention all the players trying to throw head hits. It's crazy.

Never mind the goalies who didn't wear masks either

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Right the issue is the attacking player makes no direct contact with the goalie there. He brushes into Karlsson who stumbles and cross-checks Jarry
I've seen dozens of instances of more direct interference called as incidental contact

not that I would mind it getting called this way more often, goalies are fragile enough with their hips exploding that they shouldn't have to worry about people getting in their space

Yeah, he doesn't have to make any contact. Jarry only needs to attempt to make the save (which he does.) Can't appeal that you were interfered with if you weren't actually trying to go that way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Geekie got a penalty for being launched into Bobrovsky by a Panther last night too so actually they were consistent about it across games.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
rooting for the Oilers this year apparently

https://twitter.com/CJTDevil/status/1719009165501170015

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/NHLAdamK/status/1719134580840546420?s=20

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The shrug at the end is :discourse:

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

fisting by many posted:

I cannot imagine being one of the last remaining NHLers to hold out on wearing a helmet (IIRC there was a grandfather clause when they were made mandatory and it'd be like 12 years before the last helmetless player retired)

And we saw the effects of it firsthand with the Edmonton Oilers from 2000-09

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

FuturePerfect VideoGames posted:

I like how there are two Pens set up on either side of the net, both on the wrong side to take a one timer or really any shot.

It is extremely difficult to describe how insanely bad Todd Reirden is. One of the other 5 on 3s basically had Rakell and Malkin direction on top of each other in the high slot for reasons I can not comprehend.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

rex rabidorum vires posted:

More like the Pens are, currently, a top 5 spreadsheet team at 5v5 and all situations sunk by their weaknesses in goaltending and allergic reaction to scoring.

I mean I'll say something dumb here but some of the whole metrics at 5v5 and expected goals etc etc has to be taken with a bit of context of who is putting up the numbers and how it's being done. Like...putting up fantastic expected goals numbers doesn't always mean you're due to start scoring a ton of goals. It can also mean that you're playing well but you're bad at finishing. That can be a temporary thing...some guys you know won't shoot poorly all season, or it can be an expected long term thing with guys who have never scored a lot but are generally "good players" and generate a lot of those chances.

It's possible in the Pens case that they're "playing well" but age and roster construction also means that there's no turnaround waiting for them where they'll suddenly start living up to those numbers (especially if goaltending remains a weakness and they can't outscore it because they're not actually good as good at scoring as their expected numbers might suggest)

Then again I'm dumb and maybe don't understand poo poo

I do understand that the Rangers 4th line is somehow the worst in the whole loving league though and gets caved in every night and is dragging down the team overall numbers and I'm not even exaggerating when I say they're the worst lol

loving Bonino and Goodrow

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
The Pens just haven't been the same since being eliminated by the 24th seed habs on Sid's birthday 3 years ago.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Sean Monahan (29 years old) 9gp 5g-3a-8p

Traded for

1st round pick in order to sign Nazim Kadri (33 years old) 9gp 1g-1a-2p

Jesus christ Treliving I hate this team

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
said it before and i'll say it again: mason mctavish fuckin rules

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I watched the Flyers from 2012 to present , you all will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

T-Bone posted:

rooting for the Oilers this year apparently

hell yeah this is definitely sustainable

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1719391579348086986