Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

SeductiveReasoning posted:

TMNT 1 is way near to the top of my 4K wishlist.

Yeah desperately need that in 4K. Same with Sorcerer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The effects in the black and white 4k of The Mist blend so much better

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Kingtheninja posted:

Looks like there's criterion 4k coming soon?

I think the US gets the Criterion, UK gets the Second Sight release. Looks like there is a standard edition for a more reasonable price, but the special still shouldn't cost that much.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

magiccarpet posted:

The effects in the black and white 4k of The Mist blend so much better

Yep that was the first noticeable advantage I saw. It felt filmic and seamless comparatively.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Commissar Canuck posted:

All I want is a UHD of the original TMNT movie so I can watch Casey Jones commit 2nd degree murder with a garbage truck in front of 50+ people in 4k, as god intended it.

Hey whoa, hey whoa, hey. I don't know if you mute that part but it was clearly indicated to be an accident.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Carpet posted:

I think the US gets the Criterion, UK gets the Second Sight release. Looks like there is a standard edition for a more reasonable price, but the special still shouldn't cost that much.

Apparently, the restoration was a joint project between Criterion, Second Sight, and Warner.

Might see this more often. Warner started letting outside entities handle restoration a few years ago (the guys who did the Cinerama travelogues worked on The Wonderful World of Brothers Grimm), Criterion isn't doing in-house restoration anymore, and the UK labels have already been partnering with US labels (Arrow, Indicator, and Eureka have been partnering with Synapse and Flicker Alley).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is there a dedicated Plex thread? Ever since I transferred my library to a new NAS my movies all match totally fine but my tv shows are a complete coin toss as to whether they’ll actually match properly and show up in the library. They’re all the exact same naming conventions, file type, everything but some work fine and some never even show up at all.

Absolutely baffling poo poo and a problem I literally never had in the older versions of Plex.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Watched exorcist for the first time last night. Great movie, and most of the scenes on the 4k copy are absolutely stunning in their clarity.

Of course my x700 player froze up a couple times at crucial moments, seems to be happening more these days.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is there a dedicated Plex thread? Ever since I transferred my library to a new NAS my movies all match totally fine but my tv shows are a complete coin toss as to whether they’ll actually match properly and show up in the library. They’re all the exact same naming conventions, file type, everything but some work fine and some never even show up at all.

Absolutely baffling poo poo and a problem I literally never had in the older versions of Plex.

SA is spectacular for tech support on occasion but, you'll likely want to scour the depths of reddit for help with this.

That said, you can manually match stuff. I don't know how big of a task that'll be for you, but it's possible.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

So, Synapse is releasing a 4K of the 1986 heavy metal horror movie Trick Or Treat, and the new transfer just got released on Screambox ahead of the physical release. It looks and sounds amazing! I had never watched this movie prior and it's a blast.

Also, it looks like the Best Buy 4K/BD steelbook for American Graffiti will be a new 4K transfer so hopefully it won't be the weird DNR version on the 4K disc that's on the BD. I'm assuming it's the one they're showing in theaters right now.

Also, there is a Plex thread, I think in IYG? I remember seeing it but didn't bookmark it. I use filebot to organize all my media and rename it, and I've never had a problem with the new metadata matcher.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Have you checked thetvdb.com ? Sometimes the shows don’t have the years you expect, and that will help with the name of the folder to get it to match. But if they’re showing up in your library with the wrong name or something, you can right click on them, and choose “Fix Match” to select the proper movie it site without changing the file path. Otherwise you can change which DB it scrapes the info from.

I finally started to migrate from Kodi, which I used for two decades, to Plex recently. So I feel your pain.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

IUG posted:

Have you checked thetvdb.com ? Sometimes the shows don’t have the years you expect, and that will help with the name of the folder to get it to match. But if they’re showing up in your library with the wrong name or something, you can right click on them, and choose “Fix Match” to select the proper movie it site without changing the file path. Otherwise you can change which DB it scrapes the info from.

I finally started to migrate from Kodi, which I used for two decades, to Plex recently. So I feel your pain.

I wish it got as far as just fixing the match, with this I’m adding the folder to the new library and it just never shows up.

It’s totally inconsistent too, because stuff like MST3k showed up fine but Columbo will not. And that’s despite both having the exact same naming and organization schemes:

[Show folder]/[Season folder]/[S01E01.mkv, etc]

I really don’t want to have to edit my entire file system just get them to show up in Plex, it’s super annoying. Especially when the older version and agent never gave me this issue.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The site folder should “Columbo (198?)”. I also have MST3k, and you have to have the years as well, because that show has been rebooted twice. So for me, those folders look like:

Mystery Science Theater 3000 (1988)
Mystery Science Theater 3000 (2017)
Mystery Science Theater 3000 (2022)

That’s because you have the original run, the Netflix run, and the Gizmoplex run. They don’t do the latter seasons in the 1988 run of the show in theTVdb.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I really recommend Filebot. I name TV folders based on what it gives me and it can batch rename shows and I've never had an issue. Haven't had to add release years at all except for shows that are separate but have the same name - GamesMaster vs. GamesMaster (2021) for example. You could have some kind of server caching error too where it's just not scanning everything.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

So, Synapse is releasing a 4K of the 1986 heavy metal horror movie Trick Or Treat, and the new transfer just got released on Screambox ahead of the physical release. It looks and sounds amazing! I had never watched this movie prior and it's a blast.

Also, it looks like the Best Buy 4K/BD steelbook for American Graffiti will be a new 4K transfer so hopefully it won't be the weird DNR version on the 4K disc that's on the BD. I'm assuming it's the one they're showing in theaters right now.

Also, there is a Plex thread, I think in IYG? I remember seeing it but didn't bookmark it. I use filebot to organize all my media and rename it, and I've never had a problem with the new metadata matcher.

The reason American Graffiti looks rough on Blu-ray is that it's a very early 2K master (from 1998) and Universal tried to salvage it with extra processing. Pretty much all those Universal masters with edge enhancement and weird digital stuff are the result of them using masters made between 1998-2001 that were only ever intended for SD downscaling on DVD and TV.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I really recommend Filebot. I name TV folders based on what it gives me and it can batch rename shows and I've never had an issue. Haven't had to add release years at all except for shows that are separate but have the same name - GamesMaster vs. GamesMaster (2021) for example.

This was a massive help, thank you! Some shows still took a little finessing, but this fixed 90% of the issues I had.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Big Mean Jerk posted:

going to just recommend this real quick

https://www.filebot.net/

does an auto-search on any files you drop in there and finds the correct tags. You might have issues with combined cartoon shorts (like spongebob), but most of the time it gets it right.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Powerhouse (Indicator) is having a 3 for $15 and a boxset sale: https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/collections/sale

Their product pages will have the bluray region at the bottom, lots of their stuff is region free.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CRAYON posted:

Powerhouse (Indicator) is having a 3 for $15 and a boxset sale: https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/collections/sale

Their product pages will have the bluray region at the bottom, lots of their stuff is region free.

And don't forget to use your Ph points, if you've got some; they expire at the end of the year. I already picked up a trio of titles for £15 this morning, using my remaining points and with shipping they came out to just under $10 each. Not bad for three LEs. I was tempted to get Santos but I am trying to save SOMEthing for the Criterion sale later in November.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Is there just the KL 4k of the original Italian job? I'm considering getting it on sale at some point but the review on blu ray isn't fantastic.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CRAYON posted:

whoops my finger slipped

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

you know, i bought that vampires film last time they had a sale. thought it'd be some fun carpenter, but it is...really bad. like, not even fun for carpenter or whatever. it's cheap so whatever, but i wish i had the 90min back.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I can’t bring myself to completely hate it because that opening is legitimately good. It’s definitely bottom of the list though, right above Ghosts of Mars and The Ward. Those two are just boring slogs though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Mostly just looking to complete my Carpenter film collection on the cheap

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Any other fans of Cigarette Burns? That was a really great later-period Carpenter. Udo Kier was perfect for his small role.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I liked it, but man Norman Reedus was so terrible in that.

I found Masters of Horror could be so hit-and-miss.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

PinkoBastard posted:

Any other fans of Cigarette Burns? That was a really great later-period Carpenter. Udo Kier was perfect for his small role.

Udo is..an interesting guy.

I finally saw flesh for frankenstien, great release but a real bad film..at least he was entertaining enough even if his delivery is just fast yelling

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

zer0spunk posted:

Udo is..an interesting guy.

I finally saw flesh for frankenstien, great release but a real bad film..at least he was entertaining enough even if his delivery is just fast yelling

That’s hilarious because I LOVE that film and his performance in it…. to me that is absolutely top-tier exploitation film. Different strokes!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

PinkoBastard posted:

That’s hilarious because I LOVE that film and his performance in it…. to me that is absolutely top-tier exploitation film. Different strokes!

The technical aspects (the 3D, the location, the sets) all very cool..the college theater stage play style of line delivery just kinda killed it for me. Weirdly enough I somehow already sort of knew the ending shot, I vaguely remembered my dad talking about the craziest 3D movie he ever saw specifically the pole organ thing, but didn't connect that as this until then since it was "Frankenstein 3D" when he saw it and this has the alternate title. I like weird and culty, this one just didn't do it for me, but it does have some fun goofy poo poo (the snipping scene in the first act is just ridiculous)

What's her face's lack of eyebrows was also too much for me. Way to commit to the creepy factor though

e: i don't know if he saw it in the 70s or the re-release in the 80s but i do remember being confused that "frankenstien" in 3d was the wildest thing he had seen, but, now i get it, this movie is really fuckin' weird

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 31, 2023

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Flesh for Frankenstein (and Blood for Dracula) are insane and wonderful films

I also urge anyone who enjoys either or both to go see Poor Things when it comes out because it's very similar.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
wrong thread

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
It probably didn't help that I did the routine binge of Darkplace for Halloween before watching FFF..I don't know if you can top that for intentional bad exploitation/video nasty satire, it's a hard act to follow

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
It was delayed for two months but my bumper sale purchases from the BFI Shop have arrived - I just need time to watch all of them now. I've got a few that would be good Halloween watches tonight, but I'm already going to the cinema for some mystery screenings.

Also does The 400 Blows go at the start of my shelf with 2001: ASO, or under F for Four?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Q for quatre cents

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

It goes in the "T's" because of "The" :haw:

Nah, that goes up front because of it being a number, IMO.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Carpet posted:

It was delayed for two months but my bumper sale purchases from the BFI Shop have arrived - I just need time to watch all of them now. I've got a few that would be good Halloween watches tonight, but I'm already going to the cinema for some mystery screenings.

Also does The 400 Blows go at the start of my shelf with 2001: ASO, or under F for Four?

Reverse alphabetical by the last name of the Key Grip, as god intended.

Nah you put it with the numbers, before “A”.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I respect the stylization of numbers. If Arabic numbers, then it’s #s. If it’s spelled out, treat it alphabetically.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Boywhiz88 posted:

I respect the stylization of numbers. If Arabic numbers, then it’s #s. If it’s spelled out, treat it alphabetically.

I do the same thing. ‘47 Meters Down’ is with the numbers, ‘The Seventh Seal’ is with S.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

The question is whether you sort those numerical numbers alphabetically, or numerically.
eight, eighteen, eighty, eighty-eight, eighty-five, eighty-four, eighty-nine, eighty-one, eighty-seven, eighty-six, eighty-three, eighty-two, eleven, fifteen, fifty, fifty-eight....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
if pi isn't sorted under 3.14 what are you even doing