Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

A Cricut would do that
I apologize Doctor Lunchables, PhD, but I do not know what that means :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Cricut is a branded design cutter than can cut designs on a various number of “papers” or sheets. They can do complex and complicated designs, but certainly can do a circle on transfer paper or sticker sheets. Could probably also be used to cut out the smile and all that.

Google cricut to see what I’m talking about.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

A cheaper option is probably a compass/circle cutter - I use one for cutting out wheel masks etc and it can go down to a few mm.

You'd need to do a bit of trial and error to get it to fit right, as masking around a compound curved surface is always tricky, but it's certainly doable.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
if you're willing to try free-handing it, there are cutting mats with various curves and circles printed on them so you can trace cut. if you want something more certain, there's the infini cutting mats here:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=infini+cutting+mat&crid=YGQUWX5DE5ZL&sprefix=infini+cutting+mat%2Caps%2C72&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

each one is about $20 and has cut grooves into them so you can stick the knife blade in and get clear, clean cuts every time. either mat type B or C would seem to do the trick i think

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

null_pointer posted:

Goons, I don't know if this falls into the purview of this thread, but my daughter has this little guy and she's super bummed that his face and belly are fading. I have some paints but don't want to try and approach this without being able to mask off the edges. Is there any method that would allow me to cut a circle out of some sort of tape material and apply it so that the circle is true and the edges are crisp?

How old is your daughter? Because if she's young enough where there's a risk she will put the toy in her mouth then I wouldn't recommend painting it.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Charliegrs posted:

How old is your daughter? Because if she's young enough where there's a risk she will put the toy in her mouth then I wouldn't recommend painting it.

For sure.

If that's not a concern, a simple circle template from an art store would allow you to cut a pretty much perfect circle.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Staedtler-Combo-Circle-Template-977/dp/B000KIBQ46

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Nah, she's 6 and wouldn't put it in her mouth. Though I appreciate the thought!

The cricut solution is just way too much gun for what I'm looking for. I think getting some sort of circle cut out of tape is a better idea, but as someone mentioned up thread, it's a circle on a sphere, so I'm not sure if be able to get the tape to lie flat, even if it's a perfect cut circle. Still considering solutions.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You can probably freehand it to close enough that she won’t notice.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Multiple circles of the same size that you just use the edges of so that they lay flat. The inner part of the circle can be a messy masking job, it doesn’t matter since you only care about the edges being lined up.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The circle template would be easiest. Just lay that sucker over the top of it to mask off the area you don’t want painted and paint it from the top or bottom. You could even use tape to hold it on while you do it

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Did I finish my Backlogtober project? No. Does that stop me from starting a huge new diorama with tons of figures? Also no.

The idea for this one has been kicking around since 2015 and originally I was going to have lots more guns in it, but I figured that I should reduce the scope considerably to ever have a chance of finishing it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I was able to finish my Backlogtober figures and also recently picked up and completed an Airfix 1/76 Mk. I "Male" heavy tank just to have some fun making something extremely dirty:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Fearless posted:

I was able to finish my Backlogtober figures and also recently picked up and completed an Airfix 1/76 Mk. I "Male" heavy tank just to have some fun making something extremely dirty:

The patina looks great, but I think we have until the end of the year for Backlogtoberfest.

Here’s hoping anyway ‘cause I have only gotten a few more things done with the Subaru rally car. November is looking better for hobby time though.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought backlogtoberfest ran till the end of the year. Still have kits to clear but I'm closing in on the second kit being done.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Not sure if railway modelling is welcome but I do try to err on the side of moving diorama rather than toy.

Here’s a plastic wagon kit of an LBSCR round end general merchandise wagon in 1:76:

Here’s one I’m working on now, an old (1864!) wagon from a whitemetal kit. Whitemetal is mostly old hat now but this is the last gasp/renaissance of the medium. I already have one in an early livery, so this is going to be in a later one. The dark panels are gloss varnish ready for transfers:

Can I use AK ultra Matt varnish straight over and oil pin wash once fry?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Southern Heel posted:

Not sure if railway modelling is welcome but I do try to err on the side of moving diorama rather than toy.

Model railroading has always been welcome in this thread. Post away!

Your train cars look very nice.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Model railroading is a beautiful hobby that I would probably sink an alarming amount of time and money into if I had the space to do it... though recently I heard about Inglenook layouts and that has the gears turning...

I absolutely would build a kit steam locomotive for a very small animated static display though.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought backlogtoberfest ran till the end of the year. Still have kits to clear but I'm closing in on the second kit being done.

Yep, end of December. I've been slammed with other stuff and haven't had much hobby time in general. So, thus my lack of updates. Keep plugging away, gang! :D

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Yeah it’s hitting the busiest time period at work in the lead up to the end of the year. Still trying to get a little time at the bench each day or two to keep the ball rolling.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

I'm not a railway modeller myself (maybe one day in N or T gauge) but I went along to our local (aberdeen) model railway show at the weekend and took some pics of a few of the layouts. My model club shares some members with the railway model club so it's always fun to see what 'the dark side' have been up to. Amazing scenery and scratch-building work, mostly!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Fearless posted:

Model railroading is a beautiful hobby that I would probably sink an alarming amount of time and money into if I had the space to do it... though recently I heard about Inglenook layouts and that has the gears turning...

I absolutely would build a kit steam locomotive for a very small animated static display though.

Inglenook seems cool, but it was John Allen’s timesaver layout that nearly got me. I downloaded layout software even!

http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/Timesaver/timesaver-trackplan.html

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Hi Thread, I want to build a model Spitfire plane for my father for Christmas. his father was a pilot of a Spitfire Vb that was shot down over northern france (he survived as a POW)

I am familiar enough with scale models from building model cars, but aircraft seems to have a ton of options on offer. I am mostly familiar with Tamiya kits but i am looking for a kit that includes the best detail - Internet/reviews seem to suggest the Tamiya is the one to pick but open to suggestions (eduard seems to get thrown around a lot too)

fine with adding a photo etch parts set to up the detail, if they exist. Ideally Id like to be able to get the same numbers as he had on his actual Spitfire but its hard to find pictures (the records are online at least, so I know what letters, just not how to source them or where they go)

Im going to hopefully mount it on a base along with a round from a Spitfire 20mm Hispano cannon that my friend found in his grandfathers shed (its no longer live, primer and powder removed etc) so if anyone has a suggestion for a display case/box similar to those for model cars, that would be good too.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Hey laserface, knowing you are Sydney based means I can point you in the direction of sites to get things from but can’t comment on the kit side as I haven’t built a spitfire before. Bna model world or frontline hobbies are probably your best bet for a display case with bna also having the wider range of aftermarket accessories like photoetch and decals so you can add whatever squandron numbers you need.
The other thing I guess you need to decide is scale cause there are a lot of options in 1:48 scale but less so in 1:32 scale as it’s rather large. I have seen the Tamiya spitfire in 1:32 built into an excellent looking display piece though.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Hey laserface, knowing you are Sydney based means I can point you in the direction of sites to get things from but can’t comment on the kit side as I haven’t built a spitfire before. Bna model world or frontline hobbies are probably your best bet for a display case with bna also having the wider range of aftermarket accessories like photoetch and decals so you can add whatever squandron numbers you need.
The other thing I guess you need to decide is scale cause there are a lot of options in 1:48 scale but less so in 1:32 scale as it’s rather large. I have seen the Tamiya spitfire in 1:32 built into an excellent looking display piece though.

Thanks, i forgot about those LHS's and Frontline is close enough.

was looking at 1/48 scale so its big enough for his boomer-eyes to see and small enough to leave on his desk. Im mostly looking to find out which kit assembles the easiest and has a good amount of detail, something I know I can rely on Tamiya for but I dont have much experience with aircraft models at all so I dont know the brands (although I want to avoid revell because I know how lovely some of their kits get)

looks like i should be able to keep the painting easy with some masking kits too which is nice.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

This guy has built a lot of Spitfires, and in his opinion for the Vb ion 1/48 the Tamiya and the Airfix are splitting hairs, but he stopped building them before the new Eduard kit came out, which is also well reviewed and getting it in the Profipack release means it comes with PE

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 2, 2023

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Thanks, thats actually a great help. guess I'll go pester the guys in Frontline to see what their opinion is and buy a kit, a bunch of paints and tools.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I like scratchbuilding - I have lots of books of old railway wagons and I built an 1864 coal wagon. Later on I got the whitemetal kit and annoyingly it ended up being exactly the same wagon I'd scratchbuilt!

Scratchbuild is on the right - I think they look quite reasonable, really?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

I like scratchbuilding - I have lots of books of old railway wagons and I built an 1864 coal wagon. Later on I got the whitemetal kit and annoyingly it ended up being exactly the same wagon I'd scratchbuilt!

Scratchbuild is on the right - I think they look quite reasonable, really?

Frankly I like the scratchbuild better, but I'm also not a model train expert.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The second kit of backlogtoberfest is complete. This only ended up on the list because on the first attempt the decals peeled off from under the clearcoat. The kit being a nunu Audi R8 GT3 wasn't bad but fitting the chassis to the body proved painful with more than a couple of pieces detatching themselves in the process.

Time to get back to the 787B which got put away again to get the audi sorted.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

The second kit of backlogtoberfest is complete. This only ended up on the list because on the first attempt the decals peeled off from under the clearcoat. The kit being a nunu Audi R8 GT3 wasn't bad but fitting the chassis to the body proved painful with more than a couple of pieces detatching themselves in the process.

Time to get back to the 787B which got put away again to get the audi sorted.

drat, that's slick. It often seems like the kits that fight you the hardest end up turning out the nicest. Decals of that magnitude terrify me.

That's why I mask everything I possibly can, as in...

Finally making progress on my Backlogtoberfest SBD-3 Dauntless. Got it together and got the base coat and insignias done this morning. I'm hoping to finish up the base coating and decals tonight after a family engagement, then maybe wrap the whole thing up by next weekend. I've realized through this build that the biggest "stall" for me in my builds is the filling and sanding phase. I'm seeing that I lose momentum every single time I hit that stage.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It’s decals for me, gently caress I hate decals.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
My backlogtoberfest backlogtoberfirst. IBG Tankietka TKS z NKM wz. 38 FK-A 20mm in 1:35 scale with a resin figure. It's an absolutely tiny little thing. The interior is full of tiny fiddly little pieces, but not as fiddly as MiniArt likes. There are also enough ports and hatches that you can actually see it. The kit comes with some PE but unfortunately no clear parts. The wheels are molded right into the tracks, which is nice, but the tracks themselves are really simplified. No decals are provided.

Rest of the album: https://imgur.com/a/fPoxd93

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Chuck_D posted:

drat, that's slick. It often seems like the kits that fight you the hardest end up turning out the nicest. Decals of that magnitude terrify me.

That's why I mask everything I possibly can, as in...

Finally making progress on my Backlogtoberfest SBD-3 Dauntless. Got it together and got the base coat and insignias done this morning. I'm hoping to finish up the base coating and decals tonight after a family engagement, then maybe wrap the whole thing up by next weekend. I've realized through this build that the biggest "stall" for me in my builds is the filling and sanding phase. I'm seeing that I lose momentum every single time I hit that stage.

Masking is what caused issues the first time around tbh. Despite most of the car being covered from head to toe in decals they weren't actually too bad to lay down. The martini liveried Lancia that I did involved far more work with decals cause the stripes that run down the bonnet took 8hrs to lay down because they where a split decal that need to fit on a compound curve. Decals are my jam though and I've built far more models covered in them than I have street cars with minimal decals.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm not sure if I posted this, but here was a freebie 1/700 generic 3rd Rate ship from the front of Wargames Illustrated with what I hope is a nice sea base and some EZ line - the rigging was great fun, but not sure I could handle it with deadeyes and blocks.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Those roundels turned out very nice. What did you use to create the masks?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

So I just got a pretty decent air spray booth as a birthday gift. The instructions have them throwing air basically back in your face, but my bench is right next to a window - would it be best to vent outside?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I just jam my hose between the sliding window and the frame when I use the booth.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Skunkduster posted:

Those roundels turned out very nice. What did you use to create the masks?

Thank you! I have a silhouette cameo cutter and cut the masks from oramask sheets. The cameo is probably one of the best modeling investments I've ever made. It allows me to do just about any marking scheme I want as long as I can find a decent reference. I think I have used it on every build I've done since I got it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

So I just got a pretty decent air spray booth as a birthday gift. The instructions have them throwing air basically back in your face, but my bench is right next to a window - would it be best to vent outside?

The instructions might just be showing the exhaust hose looped around but yes stick it out an open window or you will kill every braincell you have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Chuck_D posted:

Thank you! I have a silhouette cameo cutter and cut the masks from oramask sheets. The cameo is probably one of the best modeling investments I've ever made. It allows me to do just about any marking scheme I want as long as I can find a decent reference. I think I have used it on every build I've done since I got it.

Okay, I did almost the exact same thing, but used Tamiya masking sheets. On the advice of somebody (maybe it was you) I ordered some Oramask 810 stencil vinyl, but haven't tried it yet.

If you are looking for references for military insignia, wikipedia has almost everything you could need in .svg format. I had to upgrade silhouette studio to import .svg files directly, but it was worth it.

National military aircraft insignia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_aircraft_insignia

USA roundels:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_aircraft_national_insignia

RAF roundels:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force_roundels