Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

big mean giraffe posted:

This is definitely a skill issue, never had this happen once

Same

I don’t think anyone here is advocating to rely on modern safety features a la “self driving” on a Tesla unless you want to die.

But to discount stuff like proximity sensors, cross traffic warnings, blind spot assist, 360 overhead view, LTA, adaptive cruise control, etc, which offer data far in excess of what a human can pay attention to at one time is ridiculous. I don’t even drive “my” car any more because the RAV4 is so much better with all the bells and whistles

shazbot fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Car safety is a bunch of workarounds for the inescapable fact that cars are inherently dangerous and in a sane world only professional drivers would operate them.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

naem posted:

“may I hand you money for a car now?” ok sign here boom done

I think they need to do some back and forth with the DMV and your bank if you’re using one but they’re totally deluded about their place in the process. I suspect they think we’re challenging hard cases and they can win us over by being ultra charismatic as they waste yet even more time.

But no if I had prions in my pocket they’d be going straight into your coffee.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

naem posted:

I bought a car for cash after watching the price drop on some random website, cargurus.com

then I went in and said hello I’d like to buy this car for this price please and they said ok

then they made me sit around for an hour and a half for no reason whatsoever until three different guys came to say “ok I’ll go get the sales manager” who was a weird a-hole to me again for no reason

they made zero extra dollars making me sit and no one else was in the dealership

“may I hand you money for a car now?” ok sign here boom done

Classic putting the customer on ice because the deal is too good. I bought a used car from a dealer that doesn't negotiate, so the only thing I could ask for was a reduction in the interest rate which they were able to do. From test drive to driving off the lot was maybe 45 minutes?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

If you have to pay for a real search engine that is just further proof of the advance of enshittification and the retreat of the consumer society upmarket. Poorer people are ceasing to be consumers and being turned into surplus population.

I think about this a lot in regards to news. All the old school investigative journalism is behind paywalls these days but rage bait is free and all over social media (and my browser start page at work for some reason).

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

wash bucket posted:

I think about this a lot in regards to news. All the old school investigative journalism is behind paywalls these days but rage bait is free and all over social media (and my browser start page at work for some reason).

This is quite effective at obliterating what little political power poor people had. It doesn't matter how mad you get or how much you want to change things if you cannot afford to know what is even going on. Nihilism is all the poor have left.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

This is quite effective at obliterating what little political power poor people had. It doesn't matter how mad you get or how much you want to change things if you cannot afford to know what is even going on. Nihilism is all the poor have left.

Nihilism is almost as nourishing and warm as the blood spraying against your face as you rip out an investment bankers throat with your teeth.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Biplane posted:

Nihilism is almost as nourishing and warm as the blood spraying against your face as you rip out an investment bankers throat with your teeth.

Killing investment bankers won't dismantle any of the systems that require authorities to coercively control the distribution of resources and the means of production so you'd just end up having to appoint new oligarchs or become them yourself. Your post is a prime example of how screwed industrial society is

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I have a rav4 and it loves to scream at me and slam on the brakes if there's a steel construction plate or some paint splashed in the lane. Actual obstructions like a mattress? Not so much. The lane drift warning is beyond obnoxious and has never done anything remotely helpful ever

Blind spot indicators and adaptive cruise are nice though

Real talk, check the settings and you can probably fix the issue. You can adjust the strength and sensitivity of the assists. I have them on very light, but they've saved my butt from other people several times.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Cerekk posted:

Old cars suck poo poo. Get something that drives itself and you will never go back. If you hate cars that don't have physical buttons for important stuff, get a Mazda.
I 2nd this. My Mazda has the "command knob" and the screen isn't touch capable.
It took some getting used to but it is much less distracting and my eyes don't ever have to leave the road.

The lane assist stuff is also gentle instead of aggressive so you can still miss potholes and debris none of the features are annoying enough for me to turn anything off.

The only thing I have turned off is auto parking brake when in drive and auto brights are off because the regular LEDs are brighter than my wife's brights already. (I'll turn them on if I need them but they have to be visible/annoying for a mile or more)
Even though they are scary good at detecting cars and auto dimming quickly.

The cruise control loses or gains 2-5mph occasionally only on hills, unlike older models, but it's probably just a more fuel efficient algorithm.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DrPossum posted:

I've not done it, but I'd rather take that process where I don't have some dipshit hardselling me on stuff and he's deliberately making it difficult to focus and think and can say things I won't have evidence to be able to hold him accountable for later.

Once you do have an option to do this online, the process is going to get worse in person as they get more desperate.

I'm probably going to buy my next car through carmax unless anyone has experiences they want to share against that idea

Don’t forget costs they deliberately hide until the last minute since bait and switch is industry standard

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

If you have to pay for a real search engine that is just further proof of the advance of enshittification and the retreat of the consumer society upmarket. Poorer people are ceasing to be consumers and being turned into surplus population.

I don't think through a lens, this is probably correct. 'Free' services these days tend to exist on the premise that the user is the product. Google definitely makes you feel like the product. Kagi makes you feel more like the customer.

I think you could argue that 'free' increases net accessibility to the service, especially among those without money, but I think you could argue that it still isn't a net good in many cases (Even before we get into the consequences of social media etc.).

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

rafikki posted:

I’ve been trying out Kagi for a bit, seems fine.

DrPossum posted:

:wrong:

I've been using kagi for the last month and it's like 2002 again (good)

It's even got a search filter for recipes that aren't 1000000000000000 lines of text

do you have a coupon code or something I could use? would be appreciated.

btw here's some JavaScript to put in a bookmarklet or Userscript to jump to a recipe

javascript:( function() {
const selectedRecipe = document.querySelector([
'.recipe-callout',
'.tasty-recipes',
'.easyrecipe',
'.innerrecipe',
'.recipe-summary.wide',
'.wprm-recipe-container',
'.recipe-content',
'.simple-recipe-pro',
'.mv-recipe-card',
'.recipe',
'div[itemtype="http://schema.org/Recipe"]',
'div[itemtype="https://schema.org/Recipe"]',
'[attribute*="container-recipe"]',
'.wprm-recipe',
'.wprm-recipe-simple',
'.cookbook-recipe',
'.food-card',
'.recipebody',
'#wpurp-container-recipe-10155',
'.recipe_card'
].join(", "));
if (selectedRecipe) {
console.log(selectedRecipe.tagName);
selectedRecipe.scrollIntoView();
}
}(); )

you can click/run this on a page manually or just put it in a global userscript if you don't care about a minuscule processing time so that whenever you surf to a recipe page it jumps to the place automatically.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

Killing investment bankers won't dismantle any of the systems that require authorities to coercively control the distribution of resources and the means of production so you'd just end up having to appoint new oligarchs or become them yourself. Your post is a prime example of how screwed industrial society is

Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed :haibrow:

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I haven't used Spotify in a while. Tried it out at work today. I counted six ads in a row before they played two songs and then played more ads. I am so sick of advertising. I don't have any money, I'm not buying your poo poo!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

ghost emoji posted:

I haven't used Spotify in a while. Tried it out at work today. I counted six ads in a row before they played two songs and then played more ads. I am so sick of advertising. I don't have any money, I'm not buying your poo poo!

Spotify account locked.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Biplane posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed :haibrow:

I would then have to kill myself at the sheer horror of it all so nah

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

My audio is broken on Linux for the first time since the 2000s

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I bought a Chevy Bolt when they could not be sold due to the battery recall. They lied to me about the timelines of the battery recall multiple times.

hosed me around on the trade in value of my car for no reason and in the end I got more than I estimated despite them expecting me to just accept the lowball offer.

But the cherry on top was when they attempted to charge me $120 for a tank of gasoline. I jokingly asked if it really took that much fuel and they replied with a straight face something about gas being expensive right now.

Just a lot of behaviour that had me pissed off for no reason and made me seek out other dealers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

big mean giraffe posted:

This is definitely a skill issue, never had this happen once

Are you saying your rav4 is more skilled than other cars

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

mawarannahr posted:

btw here's some JavaScript to put in a bookmarklet or Userscript to jump to a recipe

javascript:( function() {
const selectedRecipe = document.querySelector([
'.recipe-callout',
'.tasty-recipes',
'.easyrecipe',
'.innerrecipe',
'.recipe-summary.wide',
'.wprm-recipe-container',
'.recipe-content',
'.simple-recipe-pro',
'.mv-recipe-card',
'.recipe',
'div[itemtype="http://schema.org/Recipe"]',
'div[itemtype="https://schema.org/Recipe"]',
'[attribute*="container-recipe"]',
'.wprm-recipe',
'.wprm-recipe-simple',
'.cookbook-recipe',
'.food-card',
'.recipebody',
'#wpurp-container-recipe-10155',
'.recipe_card'
].join(", "));
if (selectedRecipe) {
console.log(selectedRecipe.tagName);
selectedRecipe.scrollIntoView();
}
}(); )

you can click/run this on a page manually or just put it in a global userscript if you don't care about a minuscule processing time so that whenever you surf to a recipe page it jumps to the place automatically.

You get 100 free searches initially to try it out. I just signed up for the $5/month plan that gives 300 searches and I’ve used 95 of them since 10/22 so I’ll probably wind up with the $10 unlimited plan.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
300 searches for $5? Lmao get out of here

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, I generally don't pitch that plan. When someone asks me how much Kagi costs, I usually just skip right to '$10 / month'.

But Kagi does indeed own.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

It's not totally online, but if you have a Costco membership I used their auto buying program, they give you a price and the dealer has to stick with it no matter what or they get blackballed from Costco and penalized.

Sure you could save $500 or even $2000 by aggressively haggling and playing dealers against each other but I just wanted to walk in and pay and go and I did.

Does this work for used cars or only new?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Woolie Wool posted:

you are 100% correct

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

rafikki posted:

You get 100 free searches initially to try it out. I just signed up for the $5/month plan that gives 300 searches and I’ve used 95 of them since 10/22 so I’ll probably wind up with the $10 unlimited plan.

Everything is a subscription service these days. I'm not buying any more monthly plans. Especially not for only 300 searches!

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

mawarannahr posted:

I would but it doesn't seem like they have a program like that unfortunately. Not sure if they offer trials or initial refends, but they do have a $5 for 500 searches for a month if that's a low enough barrier.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't do that for regular service. it's just the cheapest. $10/mo unlimited is the norm

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
If we're on a "you have to pay for basic rights like privacy" screed, back when lowtax was pushing nordvpn I bit and used that for a long time. They are a masters class in managing online opinion with partnerships with the parasocial mediatypes to do sponsorships and build trust. They clearly have people who look out on major social hubs like reddit and news.ycombinator.com to immediately smooth over any dissent or poking around some of their business practice allegations . This is in the already poo poo VPN marketing space.

Aside from that, one day they started pushing ads for their own dumb irrelevant features in the app and then started opting me into stuff, adding garbage into the context menus on the one Windows machine I have. That is the fastest way to get me to uninstall anything.

If you're looking for a VPN, I switched to proton (same folks as proton mail) and I've been happy and they are quiet. Speeds are close to whatever I can push on my GB fiber without a VPN. The one customer support thing I put in with them was handled helpfully by someone who seemed competent.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Oh, Linode. You were the darling of these forums and then you got bought by Akamai and then doubled your prices to almost the same as AWS when you don't offer all the features of AWS. What will you do next :allears:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

DrPossum posted:

Oh, Linode. You were the darling of these forums and then you got bought by Akamai and then doubled your prices to almost the same as AWS when you don't offer all the features of AWS. What will you do next :allears:

They'll go out of business

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

ghost emoji posted:

I think if you use it in the browser, ublock origin will block the ads.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Nettle Soup posted:

I think if you use it in the browser, ublock origin will block the ads.

Nope, used it in-browser with Ublock Origin and Ghostery both installed. Still an endless parade of ads. I now remember why I don't use Spotify anymore. (That and the horrible business practices)

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

DrPossum posted:

Does this work for used cars or only new?
Costco auto buying program is mostly but not entirely for new cars, sorry I should have specified.

They do offer some last year models or even the year before and possibly some factory certified rebuilt ones.

At the time I purchased used cars spiked up a ton so I took the 0% interest for 3 years on a new, first new car ever.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

ghost emoji posted:

Nope, used it in-browser with Ublock Origin and Ghostery both installed. Still an endless parade of ads. I now remember why I don't use Spotify anymore. (That and the horrible business practices)

Works for me with uBlock. Could running Ghostery at the same be conflicting with it?

And yeah, if I try to use Spotify without adblocking sometimes it gets stuck playing ads literally endlessly. As in, it will happily keep playing ads for hours. They don't even seem to target them anymore, it's all services that don't exist in my area and stores that are hundreds of miles away.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Costco auto buying program is mostly but not entirely for new cars, sorry I should have specified.

They do offer some last year models or even the year before and possibly some factory certified rebuilt ones.

At the time I purchased used cars spiked up a ton so I took the 0% interest for 3 years on a new, first new car ever.

Still worth looking into. Thanks! This is a nice angle. Costco has its own decline, but it still ain't something to gently caress with.

naem
May 29, 2011

I worry we will remember now 2023 as the good ol’ days soon

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

naem posted:

I worry we will remember now 2023 as the good ol’ days soon

You mean in a year lol

naem
May 29, 2011

gather around, children, and I’ll tell you a tale of the days when you could buy boiled animal in a can

you could purchase several cans all at once and save them and there weren’t any raiders to take them or burn your village

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Sometimes they had football players on the label of the can

YES THOSE ASSHOLES THAT RAID US