Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Pettersson does look sick this year. Playing with a lot of jam. I do worry that he's almost playing too chippy/dirty, but there's not many guys left in the league to stop a bully. I would be a bit cautious on that though. I also worry because he's playing like he's always wanted to be a New York Ranger for like 15 million a year as the cap goes up. Needs to stay healthy and lose more hair if he wants that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Jfresh posted: "Did not have them pegged for powerplay merchant"

Uh... The gently caress did you think was going to be the case?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Diet Crack posted:

the PRIMA Strategy Guide hosed it up. they have them listed as mostly an herbs and potions merchant

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'll buy it, Jack Hughes is an elixir after all

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
https://theathletic.com/5018550/2023/10/31/paul-stastny-nhl-retirement/?source=user_shared_article LeBrun: Why Paul Stastny has decided to call it a career and what comes next

Stastny and his wife and two kids, aged 8 and 6, are currently at their home in Summerlin, Nevada, a place they kept from their time in Vegas, but the plan is to eventually move back to St. Louis.

A smart man.

Hiekkakauppias
Mar 26, 2008

OJ's humble beginnings in acting helped prepare him for the media spotlight in Calgary

Duckman2008 posted:

https://theathletic.com/5018550/2023/10/31/paul-stastny-nhl-retirement/?source=user_shared_article LeBrun: Why Paul Stastny has decided to call it a career and what comes next

Stastny and his wife and two kids, aged 8 and 6, are currently at their home in Summerlin, Nevada, a place they kept from their time in Vegas, but the plan is to eventually move back to St. Louis.

A smart man.

Wasn't Stastny one of the convoy/Maga-Dudes in the winnipeg locker room.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

The Devils? Why would you expect that? They had the best even strength offense and an average powerplay with below average opportunities last year and none of the changes they've made should move the needle in the other direction

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Diet Crack posted:

I just saw the video of that Johnson incident, how the gently caress is that not an intentional kick?

Also Chicago bad, let's stop talking about Bedard

No. That Bedard goal was sick and he's the only sports excitement in this city

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/capitals/status/1719723592366088699

I'll be a lot more sad if he's looked so bad this year because he's still in pain and the surgery didn't end up working for him, so I hope they're using the underlying injury as cover for coming to terms with just being too slow to play anymore.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm glad he's finally retiring. It was really painful and sad watching him skate gingerly around way off the pace :sigh:

e: at least I assume and I hope he will retire, he did not actually say so in the release

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I believe Carl Hagelin and Patrick Kane had the same type of hip surgery that Backstrom did, and they’re all around 35. Backstrom tried to come back but couldn’t skate at NHL speed, Hagelin retired, we’ll see which dumbass GM signs Kaner

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The Devils? Why would you expect that? They had the best even strength offense and an average powerplay with below average opportunities last year and none of the changes they've made should move the needle in the other direction

I dunno I think you could have predicted Toffoli replacing Tatar would be an upgrade. I mean he's not gonna score 6 goals every week but having another finisher on the PP is balancing it nicely

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Obviously if Pierre lied to McCrimmon about Dadonov not having a NTC that’s greasy as hell and deserves punishment, but it’s funny to me that his contract was publicly available on capfriendly and the trade still went through. Feels like hfboards posters put more research into these trades than the GM of a pro sports team

Also why the 18-month delay in punishment?

Everyone knew he had a modified NTC, the problem is the modified bit which isn't public. So everyone knew he has a list of x teams he can't be traded to but not which teams. I don't remember if the process was player/agent sends list to the team and the team is supposed to keep it confidential and and not gently caress around or if they are supposed to forward the list to the league. I think they changed it to agent sends it to both the team and the league after this mess.

The accusation, which is probably true since the trade didn't go through, was that the Sens either lied and said they didn't get a list from Dadonov or were incompetent and lost it. Either way, when the league/Vegas looked/asked for a list Ottawa said "it's cool. there's no list". And Vegas can't ask the agent directly since that's tampering (and I'm guessing Ottawa would not give permission in this case).

There's even reasonable reasons for wanting to do it that way. If the team doesn't try to trade a guy it never comes up and there's no real upside in making deatils officially accessible since it just leads to stories like "90% of people with M-NTC/NMCs have X team on their list (the other 10% are on X)". And dumbass baby fans who go after players for having their team on their list. So the pros would be a little privacy for the player while the con is that a team can try to screw around, but no team would be stupid enough to gently caress around with something that is easily verifiable by the player, right?

Not sure why there'd be a delay other than maybe they found some evidence of intentional deceit on the Sens part rather than incompetence? Like if the original investigation was something like Dorion saying he personally didn't know Vegas was banned and that they fired the AGM that M-NTCs get run through, the league might have accepted the firings of some scapegoats because they didn't have enough hard evidence to counter plausible deniability.

I wonder what could be damning enough to reopening the books but not obvious enough that it didn't come out instantly. Like it can't be something super clear cut like a signed, notarized letter from Dorion to the agent confirming he got the list and promising not to trade him to Vegas.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm glad he's finally retiring. It was really painful and sad watching him skate gingerly around way off the pace :sigh:

e: at least I assume and I hope he will retire, he did not actually say so in the release

It’s probably better for him financially to not formally retire till the offseason to keep getting a gamecheck or something. I don’t know how it works. I was ready to healthy scratch him each game the rest of the season, sounds like Carberry was too.

He’ll probably formally retire this offseason though.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Its November 1st and all but 1 team (San Jose 1 point lol) is within 4 points of the playoffs. So Eliotte Friedman can claim that his 4 point range still works for making the playoffs. It'll be 100% this year!!!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's intuitively obvious to anyone who cares and has a functional brain which teams are on a player's limited no-trade list. Like if a guy has a 12-team no trade, it's going to include the current sad-sack franchises that have lots of cap space (Arizona, Anaheim, San Jose, Ottawa, Columbus), the cities no one wants to live in (Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary), both (Buffalo). That's 9 that are on pretty much everyone's no-trade list right now. The other 3 can be player specific depending on whatever the hell he wants to prioritize. But mostly what every player prioritizes is making it as difficult as possible to trade him. Being traded sucks.

But if you're a Winnipeg fan and don't realize your team's on every no-trade list then you're too delusional for help.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 1, 2023

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The thing I noticed with Backstrom is that the skill is still there, but he clearly just couldn't skate and move like he wanted to. That's gotta be frustrating for a world-class athlete.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

glynnenstein posted:

https://twitter.com/capitals/status/1719723592366088699

I'll be a lot more sad if he's looked so bad this year because he's still in pain and the surgery didn't end up working for him, so I hope they're using the underlying injury as cover for coming to terms with just being too slow to play anymore.

It does sound like a not-retirement retirement. End of an era. Nicky B was my favorite Cap.

With Dowd out we might get to see both McMichael and Lapierre get looks at center. Not sure either one has a ceiling much higher than Top 9 tweener, but I guess we'll finally see.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Also McAvoy got 4 games which seems about right based on the other suspensions this year compared to what he did

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's intuitively obvious to anyone who cares and has a functional brain which teams are on a player's limited no-trade list. Like if a guy has a 12-team no trade, it's going to include the current sad-sack franchises that have lots of cap space (Arizona, Anaheim, San Jose, Ottawa, Columbus), the cities no one wants to live in, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary), both (Buffalo). That's 9 that are on pretty much everyone's no-trade list right now. The other 3 can be player specific depending on whatever the hell he wants to prioritize. But mostly what every player prioritizes is making it as difficult as possible to trade him. Being traded sucks.

But if you're a Winnipeg fan and don't realize your team's on every no-trade list then you're too delusional for help.

I object to Ottawa on this post

It should be in both with Buffalo.

Signed someone who lives in Ottawa

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's intuitively obvious to anyone who cares and has a functional brain which teams are on a player's limited no-trade list. Like if a guy has a 12-team no trade, it's going to include the current sad-sack franchises that have lots of cap space (Arizona, Anaheim, San Jose, Ottawa, Columbus), the cities no one wants to live in, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary), both (Buffalo). That's 9 that are on pretty much everyone's no-trade list right now. The other 3 can be player specific depending on whatever the hell he wants to prioritize. But mostly what every player prioritizes is making it as difficult as possible to trade him. Being traded sucks.

I think that actually there's alot of strategy that goes into the no trade list.. if you are a good player with term remaining on your contract you can leave off the worst teams San Jose or Chicago because you can safely assume that they would have no reason to ever trade for you this season. In the olden days you could also leave off your division rivals even if you didn't want to go there because teams wouldn't trade good players inside their own division but I don't know if that's as much of a thing anymore.. anyway with some good strategic use of the 10 team no trade list players can usually narrow down the field of potential trade destinations to only a couple actually viable options.

But yeah most players having Edmonton / Calgary / Winnipeg on their list goes pretty much without saying, no matter what the quality of those rosters actually is.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/sportsnet/status/1719734873148043282?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

If there’s a garbage product harmful to society to make sponsorship money off of, this motherfucker is all over it

The Dirty Burger fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 1, 2023

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm not convinced Edmonton is even on all that many no-trade lists anymore. Like yeah it's probably not the most fun place to live but they look like a team with a very real chance to win the Cup, and who wouldn't want to play with Connor or Leon?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm not convinced Edmonton is even on all that many no-trade lists anymore. Like yeah it's probably not the most fun place to live but they look like a team with a very real chance to win the Cup, and who wouldn't want to play with Connor or Leon?

Spoken like someone who's never spent more than a few days in Edmonton

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/sportsnet/status/1719734873148043282?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

If there’s a garbage product harmful to society to make sponsorship money off of, this motherfucker is all over it

To be fair this Prime Sports drink is probably on the balance of things less harmful to society in general and the consumers in particular than sports gambling is.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Backstrom seemed like an alright dude on the ice and I liked watching him despite his being a capital

Fare ye well

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Prime is illegal in Canada.

Edit: Oh they make a Canada compliant one now.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_(drink)

Prime Drink Wiki posted:

Gordon Ramsay reviewed the drink on Heart radio, describing it as "like swallowing perfume", and giving it 0/10.

--

Prime Energy has been banned in New Zealand. The drink has also been banned in schools in many countries, including some in Australia, Canada, South Africa, the United Kingdom and the United States.

--

On July 9, 2023, Senator Chuck Schumer urged the US Food and Drug Administration to investigate Prime due to its high caffeine content, and that it uses unclear marketing that targets young people which leads to their parents purchasing a "cauldron of caffeine" for them.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Starsfan posted:

To be fair this Prime Sports drink is probably on the balance of things less harmful to society in general and the consumers in particular than sports gambling is.

lol if you think the two chuds behind PRIME aren't involved in the latter. Just another reason to discredit the Leafs as totally irrelevant in everything

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ok so maybe it is more harmful to the consumer than gambling is, but on a societal level I maintain that gambling is still the bigger evil.. probably

**ok this paragraph from the Wikipedia article is particularly funny to me for a reason I can't quite place my finger on

quote:

In July 2022, Premier League club Arsenal announced a joint marketing agreement with the company, with Prime becoming the official sports drink supplier for the club.[24] In 2023, KSI had plans to make an Arsenal-flavored bottle if they were to win the Premier League.[25] However, after a loss to Nottingham Forest, which led to rivals Manchester City winning the Premier League, the flavor was shelved and plans were cancelled.[26]

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 1, 2023

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I don't know... Logan Paul is a pretty big stain on society

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I thought Auston Matthews wanted me to drink milk?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I thought Auston Matthews wanted me to drink milk?

I know, I wish he'd make up his mind. Gross liquid that comes from cows or gross liquid that will give me a heart attack. Just pick one.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/sungarrioch/status/1719754189826400286?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Can they fire this dumbass now

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
This summer at the beach I saw a father purchase his ~8-10 year old sons Primes and I did the surprised Pikachu face.

I really don't think a balding NHL star from Arizona is moving the needle much for that demo though.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
What a loving pathetic league. Taking away a first for that poo poo but letting Chicago keep theirs is just inexcusable.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oof, losing a first feels real steep for the Ottawa fuckup.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/vgk_pr/status/1719755135809884308?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Apparently McPhee/McCrimmon were pushing for this really hard. The Mark Stone trade and winning the cup weren’t enough :smith:

Ruthless org lol

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Bettman read The Giver and understands the importance of precision of language above all else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ottawa gets to choose which pick to forfeit, so it could be worse. If Dorian groped someone in the process, maybe there would be no punishment

But this story is weird. Vegas was mad about this rightfully, but the NHL didn't do much at the time until this story pops back up with a vengeance a week ago. What changed?