Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

How exactly do you counter cheap drones like that? I've heard talk of jammers but those dont seem to be in play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

punishedkissinger posted:

How exactly do you counter cheap drones like that? I've heard talk of jammers but those dont seem to be in play?

ion weaponry, or a special crystal in your lightsaber

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

YOSPOS methods only...

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

drone with a net cannon playing defense

mags
May 30, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

drone with a net cannon playing defense

guys with bats and moonshoes

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Well trained hawks.

The age of the falconer will come again!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
An umbrella

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Nasrallah take notes

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I know people hate clicking through links so it's worth reading that Israeli paper. Goddamn.

It confirms what Al-Saqr is saying about (Israel's assessment of) the Arab governments, the western media push, and aligns 1:1 with Israel's conduct of the campaign so far - leading me to believe this is what they've settled on.

Lmao, these fuckers.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
forreal tho, as i understand it "how do we counter cheap drones with grenades attached to them?" is a big ol unsolved question right now

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

forreal tho, as i understand it "how do we counter cheap drones with grenades attached to them?" is a big ol unsolved question right now

I have a solution for Israel: surrender

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So you can actually jam fairly easily.

The problem is that jaming works both ways, and western militaries are so used to being able to use GPS, radios and UAVs totally freely, down to individual soldier radio sets, that they can't imagine going without them. They would rather be harassed by enemy drones than go without their own toys.

Think of it like early, IR searchlight based night vision. The Americans were putting those lights on absolutely everything, they were fantasizing the future of one-sided war.

Then the Soviets got IR viewers, and searchlights of their own. Since the IR is now visible to the enemy, it then becomes shining a huge loving searchlight, with all of the downsides associated, and NATO had to invest in passive sets and thermal imaging.

With searchlights, like radar, sonar and radio signals, they can be detected from much further away than they can detect anything, since they rely on getting a return, and this causes a great deal of frustration to the gizmo crowd.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Nov 1, 2023

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

im sure they use jammers, you're just not going to see footage of a drone that got jammed and did nothing

afaik aa style airburst munitions have been one of the more effective anti small drone physical defenses but gl with that in an urban area

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

tunnels

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

i think its called a cope cage

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

the only real solution is distance

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Bring back the punt gun for anti drone warfare.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
you can also just hit the attack button + the direction the grenade is coming at you from and you should be able to counter it if you time it right

LiterallyTheWurst
Feb 5, 2015

Sendik's Original

What if they used mannequins of naked ladies on the ground to distract the pilot

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yes jamming works.

You just need troops trained in using radio location equipment that can spot the drone, spotting is the hard part since it might not be visible to the naked eye, and relay that information to the operator with the directional jammer or "drone gun".

The smaller jammers like drone guns usually operate on a specific set of frequencies and don't cover the whole spectrum, so you need to know the most commonly used frequencies by the opponent.

Yeah jamming works, you just need to have a workable drone/anti-drone doctrine so your guys know how to use the equipment and deal with the problem.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

New idf supersoldier tech just dropped

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

you fly a drone with a trampoline attached underneath it, both defeating them physically as well as spiritually with your top gun skills

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/TallBart/status/1719726240750620759?t=OFwR3zXStr5UM7mdall0eQ&s=19

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

you can also just hit the attack button + the direction the grenade is coming at you from and you should be able to counter it if you time it right

ahh, the olde 'perfect parry'

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Small-caliber SPAAGs with fuzed rounds seem to do well but western militaries have all but retired SPAAGs because they compete for dollars with the almighty tactical fighter

mags
May 30, 2008

lol it’s come back around to just dropping grenades from above like a guy riding shotgun in a biplane

mags
May 30, 2008

alarumklok posted:

you fly a drone with a trampoline attached underneath it, both defeating them physically as well as spiritually with your top gun skills

ah the arkanoid defense

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

what about large birds of prey? it worked in lord of the rings

mags
May 30, 2008

hey mom its 420 posted:

what about large birds of prey? it worked in lord of the rings

also Star Trek 4

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

they’re calling it the biggest freudian slip of the year

https://twitter.com/jordanuhl/status/1719787207232504098

C-SPAM > [P vs I]"We are not targeting anyone else in Gaza but civilians"

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Russia has had pretty good success jamming not just drones but other US made poo poo in the ukranian conflict. I dont know how susceptible things like the flying lawnmowers are to jamming though, since ukraine prefers expensive missiles that cost like 20x more to intercept them.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

bobtheconqueror posted:

It's ideological blindness. The scope is as broad as it can be while still justifying the elimination of the Palestinian population.

Yeah they just started with that and worked backwards

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

mags posted:

lol it’s come back around to just dropping grenades from above like a guy riding shotgun in a biplane

lol

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

straight out of the alt-right playbook

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

ahh, the olde 'perfect parry'

but what if I get lag out there? I heard there are no respawn points in RL

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

lmao

my first thought was "wow I can't believe some parody account owns the TheEconomist handle"

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Anyway the plan at the end of the Cold War, when the Soviets had radio controlled UAVs of their own plus the ability to jam NATOs, was that some future development in fibre optic cables would allow NATOs UAVs to flying (without getting tangled up in trees and power lines) whole combined NATO and Soviet jamming would ground Soviet UAVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
I don’t like people saying Iran/Hezbollah/Lebanon are scared when us is itching to burn the country down and are using a genocide as bait