Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

CainFortea posted:

I mean, the evil of shadae logoth hates the shadow, so it being less effective when being used by a dark friend makes sense

That feels like a stretch. When Fain grazes Rand in the books, Rand drat near dies before someone has the bright idea to pit his two wounds against each other. I can’t imagine how effective that knife would have been if wielded by anyone other than Fain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grundulum posted:

That feels like a stretch. When Fain grazes Rand in the books, Rand drat near dies before someone has the bright idea to pit his two wounds against each other. I can’t imagine how effective that knife would have been if wielded by anyone other than Fain.

Okay but rand also uses shadar logoth to destroy the taint in the power so I don't think that it's a stretch.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Loial survived the dagger because they had to scramble to finish the episodes due to covid/losing a primary actor. Chalk it down to him being an ogier.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Loial survived the dagger because they had to scramble to finish the episodes due to covid/losing a primary actor. Chalk it down to him being an ogier.

Yeah I mean this isn't a mystery lol, there's no need to try and reach for lore reasons, it was just a scrambled re-write rear end pull.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I understand they really wanted the shocking "we stabbed a dude with the instakill dagger" visual for the ratings or whatever but I'd have really preferred they just wrote the stab part out. It lead me to the impression that getting stabbed by the dagger is no worse than being stabbed with a regular dagger, which is clearly not the angle they're going for.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Real weird how many hoops folks are jumping through to explain "uhhh...we had to write this real quick don't think about it too hard it's fine", to be honest.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The only reason Rand survives getting slashed by Fain in the books is because he gets hit exactly over his True Power wound. Any other time we see someone get so much as nicked by the SL dagger, they immediately corpse-ify.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nihilarian posted:

I understand they really wanted the shocking "we stabbed a dude with the instakill dagger" visual for the ratings or whatever but I'd have really preferred they just wrote the stab part out. It lead me to the impression that getting stabbed by the dagger is no worse than being stabbed with a regular dagger, which is clearly not the angle they're going for.

The worst part is that they had to redo that bit because Covid, but Fain doesn't seem to understand covid protocols, Mat did his stabbing from a much safer distance

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

I don't think an Ogier ever got stabbed by the dagger though, so maybe they're different?

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Devorum posted:

Real weird how many hoops folks are jumping through to explain "uhhh...we had to write this real quick don't think about it too hard it's fine", to be honest.

Everyone knows why they bungled the poo poo out of the end of last season. We’re just speculating how (or even if) they’re going to patch this plot hole because the persistence and unhealability of the knife’s wounds is about to become important. Harder for them to ignore this going forward than it was during season 2 where it didn’t really matter.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
A mysterious evil magic dagger can do different things to different people in different circumstances, it's fine.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I actually thought someone had asked Judkins in an interview about this already and he was effectively just like uh.... Ignore it. Or something like that. Like it is an acknowledged plot hole kind of thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've just decided to view the series as a 4th age telenovela retelling of the events in the books

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
In episodes 1.08 and 2.08 when Padan Fain and Mat have the Shadar Logoth dagger they use it to stab two people yet they produce two clearly different wounds. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is a magic dagger or something? Haha boy I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Why would a person whose shirt says "Ta'varen At Work" spend all of their time reading a children's harem anime?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've just decided to view the series as a 4th age telenovela retelling of the events in the books

I'm viewing the show as a different turning of the Wheel than the books. This isn't the same 3rd Age that we read about. Maybe it's the previous 3rd age. Maybe it's the next one. But who cares. Either way, any changes are easily explained away that way, and I'm perfectly happy, as long as the show itself is good. Which it is.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I mean it seems pretty obvious that if they'd had their ducks in a row they would've just had agelmar or whatever get vaporized by the dagger while loial just caught Mysterious Shadow Sickness from fain's nefarious behavior or just like, got beat up. having him get stabbed by the dagger even as a desperate writing decision was pretty obviously an error, he should have just been knocked to the side by a trolloc or something, but I assume you start to run into covid nightmare/cgi not being cheap there. so with that in mind I assume we'll just never talk about it again because...why would we. or it'll get one line about how the dagger was unpowered that time for reasons. Either way it's an obvious thing to ignore and never think about because why would you? The vast majority of the audience is not gonna care and remember about it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

How is "mashadar hates the shadow" a hoop? It's not even an arc. It's barely even a bent line

Future Me Hates Me
Sep 27, 2018
Has no one considered that maybe Loial's just a fuckin' badass?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If I got stabbed with a magic evil dagger I'd simply recover from the wound. Sorry to hear about your instant death but I'm different

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Why would a person whose shirt says "Ta'varen At Work" spend all of their time reading a children's harem anime?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

El Grillo posted:

I actually thought someone had asked Judkins in an interview about this already and he was effectively just like uh.... Ignore it. Or something like that. Like it is an acknowledged plot hole kind of thing.

Future Me Hates Me posted:

https://twitter.com/rafejudkins/status/1707077972132261949

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I hope that when the Sharan army shows up at the Last Battle, every one of their leadership is an actor/actress selected to look like an Amazon Prime executive who has given Rafe notes/instructions about what needs to be included/left out/changed/etc. from the books.

There doesn’t appear to be space in the Wheel of Time for direct jokes about the media conglomerate the way Family Guy and Futurama used to poke fun at Fox. But I do still want Rafe to get a bit petty at the very end, after it’s too late to pull the plug.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
It's never too late to pull the plug these days.

This show was deleted for *reasons* and sadly we'll have to take a nice tax write off instead of showing it

(reference to hbo deleting entire shows and a movie that was completed and ready to debut)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Future Me Hates Me posted:

It's because Loial's the narrator, and you can't kill the narrator or the story ends :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Resdfru posted:

It's never too late to pull the plug these days.

This show was deleted for *reasons* and sadly we'll have to take a nice tax write off instead of showing it

(reference to hbo deleting entire shows and a movie that was completed and ready to debut)

It's not just HBO/Warner Brothers. Disney and Paramount have also gotten in on the game of erasing shows and movies from their platforms for tax kickbacks too, so I'm actually kinda surprised Amazon hasn't tried it yet either so that Bezos can save even more money on the $0 in taxes that he pays every year.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Grundulum posted:

I hope that when the Sharan army shows up at the Last Battle, every one of their leadership is an actor/actress selected to look like an Amazon Prime executive who has given Rafe notes/instructions about what needs to be included/left out/changed/etc. from the books.

There doesn’t appear to be space in the Wheel of Time for direct jokes about the media conglomerate the way Family Guy and Futurama used to poke fun at Fox. But I do still want Rafe to get a bit petty at the very end, after it’s too late to pull the plug.

Some brief cutaway in one of the Age of Legends scenes with a vaguely Amazon-ish logo on a skyscraper and a throwaway line that all the Forsaken used to work there.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
drat, good memory. That was the one.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

El Grillo posted:

drat, good memory. That was the one.
I vaguely recalled having read that somewhere in a Rafe Q&A, and luckily we have fansites that gather ALL THE DATA making it easy to find it from there.

In other news, filming in the Czech Republic has wrapped, some filming still to be done in South Africa:

WoT Series posted:

The Wheel of Time Season 3 Wraps in the Czech Republic

The Wheel of Time has finished filming in the Czech Republic for season 3. While there is still further filming planned for the season in South Africa, this marks a significant milestone for the production, which started filming the season in the Czech Republic on April 17, 2023.

To celebrate, a wrap party was held this past Saturday for cast and crew. Cast member Priyanka Bose shared photos taken at the event and stated “We just wrapped Season 3, with this epic cast and crew.” Included in a now-deleted photo were actors Zoë Robins, Kae Alexander, Ayoola Smart, and Isabella Bucceri. Other photos featured Taylor Napier and showrunner Rafe Judkins.

Other actors have also shared on social media that they were leaving Prague. One such actor is Alexandre Willaume, who said “And that’s a wrap on Thom Merrilin for this time. ” The filming in the Czech Republic for season 3 likely focused on events in the Two Rivers and The White Tower as well as new locations such as Caemlyn and Tanchico.

It is currently unknown when filming will commence in South Africa, though “summer” was mentioned as a rough time frame by hair and makeup designer Davina Lamont on a social media post. (Note: As a reminder, it is currently spring in the Southern hemisphere.) Given Rafe Judkin’s mention of Rhuidean during NYCC (in addition to our reporting on Couladin’s audition), South Africa will likely be home to filming scenes involving the Aiel.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Is the timeline for production on this show unusual at this point? I have no idea what is normal for something like this (if there is such a thing). Obviously s1 and s2 were COVID-affected but it seems interesting that filming would take from spring 2023 (apparently this was when they started) all the way past summer 2024? I know there have been strikes but from what I've read they haven't been hit by those due to being essentially a foreign production but that may be wrong.

Anyways over a year for filming a season of any TV seems wild. GoT seems to have usually been about a 10 month hiatus between seasons though tbf that also seems kind of short to me so what the hell do I know.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
South Africa's summer is Dec-Feb

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can tell where they're shooting since the lazy gently caress producers didn't reverse whirl pools or shoot mirrored when in the southern hemisphere. Randland is all in the northern.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You can tell where they're shooting since the lazy gently caress producers didn't reverse whirl pools or shoot mirrored when in the southern hemisphere. Randland is all in the northern.

Weirdly the only "weird" editing I noticed was in episode 8 they mirrored when bornholds and valda come through one of the arches in Falme. I have no idea why, but having asymmetrical pauldrons makes it really obvious.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

El Grillo posted:

GoT seems to have usually been about a 10 month hiatus between seasons though tbf that also seems kind of short to me so what the hell do I know

I looked it up once and GOT released a new season every year except the final one, which was 2 years.

I have no idea why WOT is almost 2 years in between seasons :shrug:

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

When looking at the Q & A for the Loial question, I also read this tweet again:
https://twitter.com/rafejudkins/status/1707083009176842256
So that reads to me like the two year thing is basically set. My guess is that it is all related to post-production being quite extensive. And we know that all the post-production, CGI, visual effects, etc companies are swamped and overworked due to the large amounts of shows being produced for streaming in addition to all the movies.

We've seen in episode 8 of season 1 what happens if you don't have enough time to do what is necessary. This has also hit huge movie productions like the Flash movie, the Black Widow movie and other movies and shows. Everybody is doing so much post-production that it has become the bottleneck.

As another example, One Piece on Netflix had filming from January to August 2022 and was released one year later in August 2023. Rings of Power finished filming in August 2021 and was released in September 2022. Gen V finished production in 2022 and released in September 2023.

It seems like one year between finishing filming and releasing is the new norm for shows with visual effects.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 3, 2023

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah I'm totally fine with 2 year season cycles if it means CGI artists aren't being crunched

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Rand gonna have grey in his hair by the time Tarmon Gaiden rolls around

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Logain gonna need some Rogaine

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Thom gonna give up the harp and join the aarp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
lol man where did your title come from?