Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'd still like to see the movie though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Castle Rock s2 was a really fun take on Salem's Lot, with a lot of other King tales thrown in for good measure

drat that show was good

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

alf_pogs posted:

Castle Rock s2 was a really fun take on Salem's Lot, with a lot of other King tales thrown in for good measure

drat that show was good

Should I maybe give that a shot? I’m not super into King, but I do love Liz Caplan.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Castle Rock is a really fun remix of a bunch of different King properties but most of them are Easter egg / reference level at best and the real strength is in the stories it is telling underneath those trappings. It’s very much more “King vibes” over “King adaptations”. We liked both seasons a lot.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I haven’t gotten around to s2 yet but s1 of Castle Rock was fun. Can’t say much of it has stuck with me except that one Sissy Spacek episode that is extremely good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Technically Castle Rock isn’t even King. It’s just a King tribute.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Also we settled into our post-Halloween groove with the new Hell House. It was no great art but I really liked how much of it was just back to spooky clowns!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

For the October Challenge I watched Hell House LLC and Digging up the Marrow, two documentaries that turn into found footage horror movies. Both of which I had criticisms of. Just now I watched the first episode of Documentary Now! comedy series which was a Grey Gardens parody and did the same thing but significantly better than either of the serious horror movies

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I don't get the fuss about X or Pearl. Both seemed aggressively mid. Ending shot of Pearl was cool though.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hell House Origins is ostensibly three really good scares spread across an hour and a half. I enjoyed it, but I would have liked more spook per minute (SPM) from my HeHoOr.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Do NOT Google "muscle vampire". Or do if you like shiny abs and whatnot, I guess.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Should I maybe give that a shot? I’m not super into King, but I do love Liz Caplan.

yes! me too. and she's great in it - s2 is also worth it for Tim Robbins revisiting Shawshank Prison, he's terrific the whole season

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I don't get the fuss about X or Pearl. Both seemed aggressively mid. Ending shot of Pearl was cool though.

now THIS is a hot take, normally people who didn't like X at least agree Ti and Mia were onto something with Pearl

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Stephen King longs for the days when movies had 5-10 minute scenes of people driving silently.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly I'm not sure if any of those scarse scares in Hell House Origins were even that effective or memorable for me

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 2, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Grendels Dad posted:

Do NOT Google "muscle vampire". Or do if you like shiny abs and whatnot, I guess.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

8one6 posted:

Stephen King longs for the days when movies had 5-10 minute scenes of people driving silently.

Hey, you stay away from Solaris he's my friend :mad:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Pearl is extremely good. I mention this every time but Mia Goth captures that feeling of desperation when the mask slips after a meltdown perfectly. Its very relatable despite all the murderin'.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Pearl was good but the ending monologue felt like Mia Goth was doing some capital 'A' acting. It wasn't scenery chewing, but it felt like it was trying a bit too hard. Tbh I think I preferred her chewing scenery in Infinity Pool.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

T3 looks good. Art’s gonna kill some kids lmao

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

muscular and involving

Seconding the love for the Castle Rock tv series, I enjoyed both seasons a lot.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Doltos posted:

The worst discovery to make as a fan of the genre is framing. The second I figured out that if someone is on one side of a shot and there's an empty spot to the other side something def is gonna happen on that side things no longer became scary. Same whenever someone walks away from the group of people and there's blocking on one side of them. 10 times out of 10 they get dragged off to that side of the shot.

Yeah, you’ve made it not fun.

e: now I’m seeing people saying Pearl was no good or that Mia Goth’s monologue in the film was try-hard.

It’s time for me to dip out of here for a bit because honestly even though this is all subjective, still at times I just do not understand people at all or why they even watch horror

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 2, 2023

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Doltos posted:

The worst discovery to make as a fan of the genre is framing. The second I figured out that if someone is on one side of a shot and there's an empty spot to the other side something def is gonna happen on that side things no longer became scary. Same whenever someone walks away from the group of people and there's blocking on one side of them. 10 times out of 10 they get dragged off to that side of the shot.

It's funny to read that because for me my obnoxious brain gets all excited going "Oh, you know they're getting dragged down the steps." Same thing during a good action movie where you just know somebody is going over a railing or through a window.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's funny to read that because for me my obnoxious brain gets all excited going "Oh, you know they're getting dragged down the steps." Same thing during a good action movie where you just know somebody is going over a railing or through a window.

my favorite is getting a six sense on when a car bomb is going to go off in a movie. makes me laugh every time it happens.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'm the same way, but for the moment where two people are talking back and forth in the front seat of a car, and one side of the car gets t-boned out of nowhere.

Also, that particular shot has been done to death in the last 20+ years, and it might be time to retire that poo poo.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

I think we watched like three things in one day a little while back where that exact t-boning happened lol.

Also the secret to enjoying horror spooks even if it doesn’t spook you much anymore is to have a partner who IS still easily spooked so that you can extra spook them by say, standing in the darkness like some kind of clown when they go to bed early but aren’t quite asleep yet after watching Hell House Origins as a purely hypothetical example.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, you’ve made it not fun.

e: now I’m seeing people saying Pearl was no good or that Mia Goth’s monologue in the film was try-hard.

It’s time for me to dip out of here for a bit because honestly even though this is all subjective, still at times I just do not understand people at all or why they even watch horror

I ask this question a lot in this thread sometimes.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I like some horror and dislike some horror. "Horror" means a lot of things.

Mia Goth is great and I'm always pleasantly surprised when she pops up in something (like High Life). Carried Infinity Pool too imo

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Pearl is extremely good. I mention this every time but Mia Goth captures that feeling of desperation when the mask slips after a meltdown perfectly. Its very relatable despite all the murderin'.

:agreed:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

This is interesting because it's the exact opposite of what preview screenings are saying. Most people are saying it's fine but incredible slight on characters and rushes to get to the vampires.

Maybe King has seen an earlier cut.

I'd love a good Salem's Lot adaptation but everything points to this not being it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Saw Come True, this scifi flick Altered States experiment about dreams and the unconscious. Most elements to make it a cult hit seem there, creepy surreal sequences, a emotional non rational dream logic that bleeds into the awake world, but the ending is dogshit but conversely only there and then the filmmakers almost reach a poignant image about dreams and reality but it's too little too late. The sequences also lose their charm, they got too much of an austere Villeneuve's vibe without hitting as hard.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Pearl owns, Come True owns

Actual picture of me getting ready to rank horror movies:

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

CelticPredator posted:

Art goes to Washington

Silly clown, Chucky already did it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I hated the whole thing with Riff so much in Come True, maybe I need to rewatch

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm pushing my way thru the first VHS hoping to eventually come away with a single decent segment in this series if I watch enough of it but so far it's all just white boy cringe

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm pushing my way thru the first VHS hoping to come away with a single decent segment in this series but so far it's all just white boy cringe

skip to Safe Haven in VHS2 it's the franchise high point

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I want to think this is semi self aware but so much of it is directed with one hand so far. It's crazy that David Bruckner's bit is such bad Eli Roth bullshit considering I gently caress with his features well enough. Guess I'll push through the first one and watch the second one for Safe Haven and then presumably there's nothing else worth seeing even with the 90s/80s ones?
I guess I'm enough of a found footage sucker that I'll watch one of these if they've at least got one good segment each.
I've watched a lot of bottom barrel found footage on tubi so I have a high tolerance for this poo poo and a lot of curiosity but somehow this is already a pain.

If "Viral" is all screenlife I'm onboard for a series of mediocre Unfriendeds though.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 2, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Actual picture of me getting ready to rank horror movies:

:same:

It's why last month stood out for me when I actually saw four things I couldn't say much if anything positive about. If it wasn't my worst month of film-watching this year, it's close. And that's despite having Killers of the Flower Moon and When Evil Lurks, 2 releases already secure in my top 10 for the year

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Was I off the mark in being turned off by Come True, because the girl seemed to be coded way way way younger than the dude and when the sex scene happened it felt super creepy? Or maybe I wasn't paying attention and they were much closer in age?

That ending though, woof.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Guess I'll push through the first one and watch the second one for Safe Haven and then presumably there's nothing else worth seeing even with the 90s/80s ones?

Wrong!!! They all have at least one hit. Now granted they’re all-timers for this particular series, but still.

Viral is by far the worst one and contains no screenlife at all for some reason, literally the only screenlife one in the whole series is “The Sick Thing That Happened to Emily…” in the first one (which my friend Liz Harvey is in lol hi Liz). But even then, Viral has “Parallel Monsters” which is fun and “Bonestorm”; which is Benson/Moorhead in Silly Mode. Still skippable tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I saw the Terrifier 2 re-release in theaters last night and it owns. Got a little teaser for #3 at the end and a cool promo poster. Art for President.