Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

:blastu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

weve hit the part of frieren where it gets pretty boring for a long while

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

did you think this reflection on life and death and grief needed a training arc? well you're gonna get one.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i wasn't loving asking

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

did you think this reflection on life and death and grief needed a training arc? well you're gonna get one.

honestly I'm okay with that considering i've already got investment in the main trio, and also Madhouse has been hitting it out of the park with dynamic animation

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Frieren is going Demon Slayer mode.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
So is Zom 100 probably never coming back? Just curious. I liked the show a lot, but I don't know enough about anime to understand what happens now that the show dropped its schedule.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Also should I read frieren? I have a SJ sub but never know whether to spoil by reading the manga or waiting 9 years for the animes to conclude the arcs.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm way behind on the Frieren anime but from what I hear it's better

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Which one has hot sexy anime women in it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you want to read it, read it. You're not "spoiling" it by reading the original work lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Taima posted:

So is Zom 100 probably never coming back? Just curious. I liked the show a lot, but I don't know enough about anime to understand what happens now that the show dropped its schedule.
they ran out of available time slots to air the show in because they had to postpone so many episodes

at this point in an anime season, time slots on japanese tv to air anime on are limited (due to so many shows running at once), and with them doing so many postponements no channel or network is gonna go out of their way for them

however it'll come back at some point, the episodes were at least somewhat done and the funding for them was already allocated and spent. and it was doing its job of promoting the original manga.

but it likely wont be until the gap between anime seasons. that is, when stuff airing this season starts to end but before next season's stuff starts airing.

so around december.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Endorph posted:

it's the secret sauce that allowed the manga to be licensed in english a year after it started while like ykk had to wait 20 years or w/e

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

zom100 was running in the sunday afternoon timeslot which is supposed to be a big deal and also has less flexibility because its a daytime slot. if the producers are insistent that the rest of the episodes run in that slot rather than throwing them into a random late night slot then they may have to wait a while, shangri-la frontier currently has it booked until March.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

having read all of frieren my conclusion is that it simply is too long and got really padded for probably editorial reasons. like the current arc involves frieren getting sent back in time to do adventures with the old party which completely undercuts the whole theme of the comic in the most wheel spinning way. the whole point is that those times are gone forever! only seeing them through flashbacks is so much more poignant! gently caress!!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Stexils posted:

having read all of frieren my conclusion is that it simply is too long and got really padded for probably editorial reasons. like the current arc involves frieren getting sent back in time to do adventures with the old party which completely undercuts the whole theme of the comic in the most wheel spinning way. the whole point is that those times are gone forever! only seeing them through flashbacks is so much more poignant! gently caress!!

Yeah, the current arc would be cute as a 1-2 chapter deal but agreed since it’s a Whole Thing now.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Rinkles posted:

As my crunchy trial draws to an end, I'm finding a lot of shows I'd like to watch.

Anything You think I should prioritize?

With the utmost affection, I'm currently suffering through Bocchi.

Kyosogiga is one of my all time favourites, and it's short, so that.

If your trial is running out and you don't wanna renew, don't watch Freiren, it's ongoing

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 2, 2023

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Failren

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://twitter.com/ShitpostGate/status/1720048115900637347

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

Which one has hot sexy anime women in it

Bleach

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

If you want to read it, read it. You're not "spoiling" it by reading the original work lol

Oh is that an unpopular opinion?

I find that one spoils the other, and tend to prefer anime if available, so I usually wait to read a manga until after the anime is done. That isn't always possible because for some series, you would be waiting forever.

Don't get me wrong though I also love manga and actually bought a bunch recently because I got unemployed. I'm going to post them later to hopefully get more recommendations.

Endorph posted:

Good info

Oooh poo poo ok I get it now, thanks!

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 2, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hey so I just got let go at work and so I bought a bunch of manga. Half of it I got on Offerup used, and the other stuff was mostly discounted volumes on Amazon:

Could anyone give me some recommendations? I have subs to Shonen Jump and VIZ, so no need for those.

I tend towards deluxe editions so mostly I'm just wondering if there are any deluxe and/or hardcover manga I should get?

No hate on paperback manga but I find that it's really annoying to read the whole page because of how close the panels are to the spine, if that makes any sense. The deluxe ones always have more room on the spine so you can read them easy. For example, the Flowers of Evil complete are technically paperback but they have tons of space and are a joy to read.

Current Mangas, I have every volume in the series unless otherwise stated:

Berserk
Silent Voice Complete
Soul Eater Perfect
Parasyte colored
Flowers of Evil Complete
Vagabond - I guess this is never getting finished? I think that's all the volumes that exist so far
Blade of the Immortal - only the first 5, waiting on a sale to complete it

What else should I get? I have read almost nothing on this shelf yet, but nows the time, since I'm unemployed!

Also open to manga subscriptions to read on an ipad because I have no idea what's good besides viz/SJ. Nothing expensive though, or based on paying for single volumes or a set of volumes- I am only interested in services like Shonen Jump where you can more or less read whatever for a monthly fee.

e: oh oops I also have this:

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 2, 2023

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/ShootaCat/status/1715087240244900346

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Rinkles posted:

As my crunchy trial draws to an end, I'm finding a lot of shows I'd like to watch.

Anything You think I should prioritize?

With the utmost affection, I'm currently suffering through Bocchi.

March Comes In owns

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the smrpg remake is getting previews today

was talking with a friend about how they changed mack's name to claymorton and i found this article about the pop culture references in japanese smrpg that was really interesting - ton of evangelion and gundam references that got missed as well as cool info about old comedy bits and weird puns

personal fav is if you use psychopath on the jailed donkey kong knockoff enemies you get a legal disclaimer in japanese

https://legendsoflocalization.com/the-pop-culture-obsessed-monsters-in-japanese-super-mario-rpg/

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Southern Cassowary posted:

the smrpg remake is getting previews today

was talking with a friend about how they changed mack's name to claymorton and i found this article about the pop culture references in japanese smrpg that was really interesting - ton of evangelion and gundam references that got missed as well as cool info about old comedy bits and weird puns

personal fav is if you use psychopath on the jailed donkey kong knockoff enemies you get a legal disclaimer in japanese

https://legendsoflocalization.com/the-pop-culture-obsessed-monsters-in-japanese-super-mario-rpg/

Jesus that's a lot, I feel bad for the translator

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Imagine trying to piece all those references together without being able to Google anything

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5khm-VjEu4

I do not know whether I want to actually watch this trailer or not

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Didn't ted woolsey translate smrpg? He did really good with what he was given but iirc he was given almost no time or resources to do it in so he often had to pull things out of his rear end to get a coherent translation down. I can't imagine he could know even half of those cultural references.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Woolsey was not good at the cultural references, no. He did the best he could with the time he had which was often not a lot. He had a particular style that is very familiar to players of Final Fantasy games on the SNES which he also translated.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

the funsize trick or trick candy pieces seem smaller than ever this year

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5khm-VjEu4

I do not know whether I want to actually watch this trailer or not

RPattz is doing the best, weirdest voice in this, lmao

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the smrpg tl is fine and there's a few bits in the new tl i'd say are actually going a bit too literal (i get wanting to keep the reference to a weapon but man speardovich is a monumentally worse name than yaridovich) but yeah there's a lot of weird stuff and some item descriptions are flat-out incorrect

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

The Colonel posted:

the smrpg tl is fine and there's a few bits in the new tl i'd say are actually going a bit too literal (i get wanting to keep the reference to a weapon but man speardovich is a monumentally worse name than yaridovich) but yeah there's a lot of weird stuff and some item descriptions are flat-out incorrect

yeah speardovich is worse than yaridovich i think you just keep the original there

i sort of hope they give it a spitshine and keep some of the funnier stuff like bowser's haiku (idk if this is in the original or not)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

GateOfD posted:

the funsize trick or trick candy pieces seem smaller than ever this year

They are.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah inflation strikes again and candy bars are like a tenth of an ounce smaller, which doesn't sound like much but when the candy bars are already only like an ounce to begin with that's a lot.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If the candy bars are inflating wouldn't they get bigger

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

No because inflation is when costs go up. So candy bars get smaller at the same or increased price, which is some bullshit.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcJVMP74Ua0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Kwyndig posted:

No because inflation is when costs go up. So candy bars get smaller at the same or increased price, which is some bullshit.

"Shrink-flation" is the bullshit term some use for this crap. Just give us the same size at the new cost, dammit.