Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I made the mistake of suggesting that if someone wanted Hulu without ads, they should pay for the ad-free tier. This made someone Big Mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
book stuff: I decided to look up to see if RJ had expounded on the callboxes any further, and it looks like the answer is "no". however I totally missed that the boxes had both a power icon and a telephone icon on them until I saw someone point it out:

quote:

“The smallest flow possible of Fire must be touched lightly there, on what looks like a twisted crescent moon,” she told them, “and another there on the top, on that mark like a lightning bolt.” Someryn straightened very quickly.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Yeah I'm totally fine with 2 year season cycles if it means CGI artists aren't being crunched

As am I, but it also means I'll be dead before the show finishes.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Soonmot posted:

As am I, but it also means I'll be dead before the show finishes.

In all likelihood, so will a non-zero fraction of the cast. 14 years between the filming of seasons 1 and 8 is a long time for life to happen.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grundulum posted:

In all likelihood, so will a non-zero fraction of the cast. 14 years between the filming of seasons 1 and 8 is a long time for life to happen.

Yeah, this is starting to feel like a "Uuh, did no one think of the logistics of this setup for even a second?" situation the longer it goes on.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Kinda implies they aren't planning on the full eight seasons either that or they're gonna film it all and release piecemeal.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

I mean, as long as they continuously shoot every year, then the year delay wouldn't be a problem. They have just finished most of the shooting for season 3 (only some shooting in South Africa left), so one year later would be late 2024 or early 2025.

We'll have to see and wait.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

there's a lot of weird decisions in this show logistically. why decide to make the moiraine/siuan relationship more important while also casting someone who apparently can't film more than 1-2 episodes a season?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That seems much more to do with logically fitting Siuan into the story of those early books rather than logistics

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Rarity posted:

That seems much more to do with logically fitting Siuan into the story of those early books rather than logistics
It's a mix of both. (Non-)Availability of Siuan's actor was a problem they worked around by only having her in two episodes. The reason Thom wasn't in season 2 was that his actor had clashing scheduling. For less important roles they've gone ahead and switched actors (Egwene's mother has been recast).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
All this season two stuff was also totally upended during the frantic covid re-writes following Barney Harris leaving, shutdowns, etc, as well, so it's not like what we saw in s2 was the ideal vision they had planned from the get go, in terms of character availability.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Starting to make sense why they cut out Thom, his actor wouldn't live long enough.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jeez yeah. It's Harry Potter all over again

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

All this season two stuff was also totally upended during the frantic covid re-writes following Barney Harris leaving, shutdowns, etc, as well, so it's not like what we saw in s2 was the ideal vision they had planned from the get go, in terms of character availability.

So S3 is when we can judge it fairly, got it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

His Divine Shadow posted:

Starting to make sense why they cut out Thom, his actor wouldn't live long enough.

Thom is in S3. There was a post recently about how his actor just finished wrapping on the season.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Rarity posted:

Yeah I'm totally fine with 2 year season cycles if it means CGI artists aren't being crunched

I'd be more happy to get 20+ episodes a year, every year.
Just reduce CGI until that is possible, tia.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Issaries posted:

I'd be more happy to get 20+ episodes a year, every year.
Just reduce CGI until that is possible, tia.

Yeah, it's the "I would like more games with worse graphics by better paid, less overworked artists" axiom, but for TV instead.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I want a tv series that leans into Avatar: The Last Airbender's "The Ember Island Players" motif, where they tell an epic story that features truly extraordinary magic represented by thrown paper streamers and such. But played 100% seriously, like that's the magic.

It'd be so cheap to film.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

80s style star trek forehead aliens for trollocs and 80s style phaser effects for spells would have been enough

then they could have ended the series before the dragon needs a walker

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

ChubbyChecker posted:

then they could have ended the series before the dragon needs a walker

The dragon rides again on the rascal of time

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

It'd be kinda cool if they took the extra-long production times into account and made the events of the series cover a longer period of time. The book time scale is less than 3 years, iirc? And most of that is in the first three or four books. Having time skips where Rand and Egwene consolidate their power and learn to rule, Mat builds up the Band, etc, would be great to iron out some of the very quick development they go through (it's taveren, I know) and also explain why these kids are in their thirties by the time the last couple of seasons come out.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Pleads posted:

I want a tv series that leans into Avatar: The Last Airbender's "The Ember Island Players" motif, where they tell an epic story that features truly extraordinary magic represented by thrown paper streamers and such. But played 100% seriously, like that's the magic.

It'd be so cheap to film.

Ember Island Players works so well because it's a clip show presented through an unreliable narrator in the guise of theater.

Watching 8 years of that would suck terribly.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I still can't believe how good the replacement Mat is. He absolutely nails the trickster character.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
The little fingers thing he did before drinking the tea.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

ManSedan posted:

"Mini-mini-Min!"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ManSedan posted:

He headbonks things. Like Rand or the stick.

He's like a cat.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

"Mini-mini-Min!"
That this was all actor, not writers makes it even better!

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

CainsDescendant posted:

It'd be kinda cool if they took the extra-long production times into account and made the events of the series cover a longer period of time. The book time scale is less than 3 years, iirc? And most of that is in the first three or four books. Having time skips where Rand and Egwene consolidate their power and learn to rule, Mat builds up the Band, etc, would be great to iron out some of the very quick development they go through (it's taveren, I know) and also explain why these kids are in their thirties by the time the last couple of seasons come out.

Maybe but I think you'd need to cut the Bowl of Winds/weather stuff for suspension of disbelief reasons. The books already have what, like a year of drought? Then an abnormally harsh over-correction winter followed up by a blight. Normally I'd ignore that kind of thing but when there are Perrin chapters on a quest for grain and Rand summoning manna for every town he passes through calling attention to it. I'm not a history buff but my impression is that a lot of the worst famines lasted like a season to a year tops.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

ragnarokette posted:

Maybe but I think you'd need to cut the Bowl of Winds/weather stuff for suspension of disbelief reasons. The books already have what, like a year of drought? Then an abnormally harsh over-correction winter followed up by a blight. Normally I'd ignore that kind of thing but when there are Perrin chapters on a quest for grain and Rand summoning manna for every town he passes through calling attention to it. I'm not a history buff but my impression is that a lot of the worst famines lasted like a season to a year tops.

I mean, would anyone really care if the Bowl of the Winds stuff was cut? Or just change what that whole quest was about so you still have the events surrounding it? The exact details of the drought/weather is not important to the story other than its effects on the characters, and you can replace it with something else.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I think there's still room to do the bowl of the winds stuff, but seeing how S2 went I can also see them rolling the search for the bowl into the search for the male a'dam as well. Since they've already introduced the a'dam.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

When the whole endless summer thing gets bad they'll mention that there's a legendary ter'angreal that affects the weather and just pull it out from under the Amyrlin Seat

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Just finished my first read, mostly loved it. What is everyone's thoughts on Taimandred? Did RJ really change the story because his message boards figured out his twist? lmao

Taim, Logain and Rand not really ever having a big moment together is probably my biggest bitch about the story, and Demandred being the Big Bad in AMoL felt a little out of left field. Seems like Taim being Demandred would have made some of this make a lot more sense.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I think it was pretty obviously changed. If it was because people were figuring it out or he wanted to include more of the Shara stuff and thought that'd be a better way to do it I dunno. Could go either way on that.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I prefer to assume that he changed it because it was a really lazy and stupid idea, personally. Taim not being one of the original Chosen fits far better because it allows Rand to start making the same kind of unthinking mistakes LTT did.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Gnoman posted:

I prefer to assume that he changed it because it was a really lazy and stupid idea, personally. Taim not being one of the original Chosen fits far better because it allows Rand to start making the same kind of unthinking mistakes LTT did.

But Rand does that almost from the first time he meets Taim. It’s doubly funny if it’s to the same person, because he isn’t even drawing consciously on LTT’s memories at that point. It’s just apparently part of the Dragon’s soul that Demandred/Taim/the #2 best person is ignored and guided toward the dark due to irritation/jealousy.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I see value in both ways, either Rand doing LTT's mistakes all on his lonesome or Rand doing LTTs mistakes to the guy LTT did them to 3000 years ago.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

There should have been more forsaken from the current era. It just makes sense. It was never supposed to be an exclusive title

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s fine either way. He’s pretty imposing when he does show up but there is a lot little hints early on Taim is Demandred. If he was Demandred he wouldn’t do much anyways so it’s kinda moot, just a little weird when you read LTT scream at Rand because he recognizes Demandred.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s fine either way. He’s pretty imposing when he does show up but there is a lot little hints early on Taim is Demandred. If he was Demandred he wouldn’t do much anyways so it’s kinda moot, just a little weird when you read LTT scream at Rand because he recognizes Demandred.

I always thought (after the fact) that I remembered LTT raging more about specific Asha'man and that it was supposed to be an indicator that they had maybe been turned already. I thought at first his rage at Taim was from some ability to see his connection to the shadow, like those wires of darkness Rand saw and severed around Ishamael and Asmodean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s been a while but I think he’s much more pointed when he’s talking to Taim early on. He wants to fry all Ashaman but he specifically goes pretty crazy about Taim. Like much more so than when he’s around Logain for instance.