Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Remulak posted:

Thr incredibly original and compelling Gears of War IP: “what if aliens came like from the ground man instead of the sky”?

Spielberg did it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Honestly I think the GOW aesthetic of neoclassical architecture in decay along with smudginess and brown with bright gold highlights is a really on the nose match for Snyder's whole... thing.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

lol wasn't that one of the Speilberg/Cruise War of the Worlds concepts at one point, like the Martians buried the weapons millions of years ago?

That's what happened in the movie, yes.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's in all of them, the Torque Bow.

I enjoy the games, story is a barebones

Military Industrial Complex does something bad
PC's work to clean up the mess while civilians pay the price
MIC gets replaced with new leaders that swear they're honest
Go to 10

The campaigns are brisk 6- 7 hours of fun set pieces and the special PVE multi-player is a good time for a few hours.

I kinda want to play them again. reloading the sniper was satisfying

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

lol wasn't that one of the Speilberg/Cruise War of the Worlds concepts at one point, like the Martians buried the weapons millions of years ago?

Something that doesn't get brought up much is that Gears doesn't take place on Earth.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

kalel posted:

DIBS

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I would rather watch an Unreal Tournament movie

You could have a scene that's like the training montage from Edge of Tomorrow except it's the main character getting owned by a contestant who memorized the powerup spawns

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ChickenHeart posted:

I would rather watch an Unreal Tournament movie

You could have a scene that's like the training montage from Edge of Tomorrow except it's the main character getting owned by a contestant who memorized the powerup spawns

Unreal Tournament but it's a drama about the M-M-M-MOOOONSTER KILLLL guy trying to re-connect with his estranged daughter in between recording his iconic lines.

He seeks help at a friend's place, the FLAWLESS VICTORY guy.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
UT should be 90 minutes of Facing Worlds and the DNB soundtrack. And maybe 30 mins of whatever else you guys want

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alan Smithee posted:

UT should be 90 minutes of Facing Worlds and the DNB soundtrack. And maybe 30 mins of whatever else you guys want

Highrise, Instagib, 200% air control

kalel posted:

I recently did since all 6 games and the Xcom clone are free on gamepass. They're still fun. The most recent one has a multi-player Left 4 Dead mode that's a blast with a good team.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 3, 2023

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Highrise, Instagib, 200% air control

I recently did since all 6 games and the Xcom clone are free on gamepass. They're still fun. The most recent one has a multi-player Left 4 Dead mode that's a blast with a good team.

Is it actually like XCOM with a geosphere and base building or is this another time where it's just turn based combat?

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Argus Zant posted:

reminds me of stories that have come out about the spider-man musical and how much of a hot mess it was behind the scenes. Apparently the lead writer felt that the story should be focused on their original-character-do-not-steal, and that Spider-Man should just sort of have more of a supporting role in the musical called “Spider-Man: Subtitle” and which had been pitched to the public as “the Spider-Man musical”

If anyone's even remotely interested in the story of the clusterfuck that was the Spider-Man musical (and how it kept killing people), read "The Song of Spider-Man", it's really good.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17571716-song-of-spider-man

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

muscles like this! posted:

Something that doesn't get brought up much is that Gears doesn't take place on Earth.

Yeah we showed up to take over this planet but didnt check that there was already someone living on the planet

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah we showed up to take over this planet but didnt check that there was already someone living on the planet

No the actual explanation I kid you not, is that “Planet Sera” just evolved regular people and mole people on it naturally, and it is in fact fossil fuels that are the actual aliens. Here to kill both the regular and mole people and blow up the planet. The fact that fossil fuels come from outer space and are alive and want to kill us is the third games big plot twist.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The third game was my least favorite and I barley remember it to be honest.

1 and 2 were amazing

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Literally nothing better back when they were new than playing Gears online and having your giant meathead character turn another character into giant chunks of hamburger with your stupid loving video game chainsaw gun while John DiMaggio and his buddies scream and grunt and go WOOO when you gib an enemy. Just the epitome of “this game is incredibly loving dumb and we know it” while also not disappearing completely into its own rear end in a top hat.

People who’ve never played them love to write off those games as garbage, and that’s fair but also totally wrong. I don’t know how the gently caress you turn them into a movie or tv show though. The appeal is in playing them, the actual plots are nonsense.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They’re sinking cities with a giant worm!!!!

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Is it actually like XCOM with a geosphere and base building or is this another time where it's just turn based combat?

It's just combat and building your squad, but those are on par with nu-XCOM.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jim DiGriz posted:

It's just combat and building your squad, but those are on par with nu-XCOM.

Xcom 1 and 2 both have a geoscape and base building though?

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Xcom 1 and 2 both have a geoscape and base building though?

Sorry, probably a language barrier thing. The GoW game is just combat and squad development, it does not have base building and geoscape. Combat and squad dressup however is about as good as in the nu-XCOMs. Hope it's clearer now.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
still funny they haven't made a halo movie

that writeup by wired about how microsoft tried to hustle studios is so good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They did the tv show and it kinda stinks. Some of it was alright tho

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jim DiGriz posted:

Sorry, probably a language barrier thing. The GoW game is just combat and squad development, it does not have base building and geoscape. Combat and squad dressup however is about as good as in the nu-XCOMs. Hope it's clearer now.

Thats disappointing ): I don't know if it's a language barrier thing or just me being overly pedantic tbh. People like to call turn based games xcom and I always think of the full xcom package and they just mean that combat is handled like xcom

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GoW is as far from turn based as you can get lol

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

CelticPredator posted:

GoW is as far from turn based as you can get lol

There was a turn-based spinoff that came out early 2020, I think, around the same time as the XCOM turn-based spinoff of a turn-based game

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
yeah, there was a brief spate of games that were sorta based around cutting the base-building and geoscape management of modern FiraXCOM in favor of just doing a shitton of battlescape missions. usually they also gave you more uniquely-ID'd plot characters and maybe a smattering of disposable redshirts instead of XCOM's parade of meat dummies to send into a woodchipper. Chimera Squad was one of them, Gears Tactics was another. I think you could maybe classify the Mario + Rabbids games as being like that? At one point there was a Metal Slug game in that style under development; not sure what became of that because that was around the same time I found out that modern SNK-Playmore is just a front for saudi money laundering and that killed my interest in it.

Argus Zant fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 4, 2023

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Solasta had some Xcom influence too but in D&D 5e

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think the comparison's been made between XCOM and Persona, where the real special charm isn't just the tactical combat/dungeon crawling nor the geoscape/high school dating sim parts of the game, but that they exist as layers of the same experience that constantly interact with each other, giving thematic and mechanical depth and tradeoff. You take out one half of the formula and the other half doesn't have the same charm, at the very least requiring a very different approach. Especially when both have the themes of progress and discovery, exploring the minds of people you interact with and/or feel the presence off in the real world, and encountering different kinds of aliens that you gradually learn more about, putting together the pieces of a larger whole. XCOM has never been very well balanced and that's kinda the point, you're meant to try to tilt the odds as much in your favour as possible on the geoscape level before heading into the tactical combat.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Karen Traviss (i think it was her) wrote some absolutely insane GoW tie in novels where the humans have horrifying breeding camps (that's how they produce so many beefcake soldiers) and she wrote this seemingly unaware that she'd written the nominal good guys as having rape camps.

The moral of the story is that Gears of War works as games and as soon as you ask writers to expand on it you go down some extremely stupid and awful paths.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Karen Traviss (i think it was her) wrote some absolutely insane GoW tie in novels where the humans have horrifying breeding camps (that's how they produce so many beefcake soldiers) and she wrote this seemingly unaware that she'd written the nominal good guys as having rape camps.

The moral of the story is that Gears of War works as games and as soon as you ask writers to expand on it you go down some extremely stupid and awful paths.

I think this is more an illustration of how as soon as you ask Karen Traviss to expand on your games you go down some extremely stupid and awful paths (see also Halo, Republic Commando).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Karen Traviss manages to inject fascist beefmen into basically every franchise she touches, it’s kind of her kink.

That and calling people who criticize her “Talifans”

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm pretty sure she is extremely into the whole "genetically engineered or bred beefcake supersoldiers" thing, so I doubt she meant to portray them as bad. Just a hunch though, based on all the poo poo she wrote that I didn't read.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Was Traviss also the one who decided that the "3 million soldiers" line in Attack of the Clones was actually the entire size of the grand army of the republic? Making it substantially smaller than, say, the US forces in Europe at the end of WW2. I know 'fantasy numbers are too large, science fiction numbers are too small' is it's own trope but that seemed especially egregious to me.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I remember rumors that the 6 million number was one of those Canon edicts from George Lucas, which is why it was so consistent despite the fact that you would think every EU author would be fighting it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is it Traviss that came up with the idea that the Spartan suit Master Chief wears also sexually satisfies him

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is it Traviss that came up with the idea that the Spartan suit Master Chief wears also sexually satisfies him

This sentence should be in the hague

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Was Traviss also the one who decided that the "3 million soldiers" line in Attack of the Clones was actually the entire size of the grand army of the republic? Making it substantially smaller than, say, the US forces in Europe at the end of WW2. I know 'fantasy numbers are too large, science fiction numbers are too small' is it's own trope but that seemed especially egregious to me.

mycot posted:

I remember rumors that the 6 million number was one of those Canon edicts from George Lucas, which is why it was so consistent despite the fact that you would think every EU author would be fighting it.

Yes, the 3 million units = 3 million clones came from Lucas, and Traviss wasn't even the first author who brought it up. Matthew Stover in Shatterpoint mentioned it, and when fans pointed out that 3 million soldiers was absurdly low, his response was basically just to say, "That number came from Lucas, my hands were tied," and people moved on.

Traviss on the other hand when people brought it up, doubled down, said that 3 million were all you needed with her genetic supermen, and talking about how she wanted to kill anyone who challenged her on it and that fans were unhappy because they wanted to have as much sex as her fictional characters would have if they were real.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Karen Traviss manages to inject fascist beefmen into basically every franchise she touches, it’s kind of her kink.

That and calling people who criticize her “Talifans”

I remember she got super upset when the Clone Wars depicted the Mandalorians as anything other than some genetically-homogenous and -superior supersoldiers.

I am certain she would not like the direction The Mandalorian took where they're a species-inclusive warrior order.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Yes, the 3 million units = 3 million clones came from Lucas, and Traviss wasn't even the first author who brought it up. Matthew Stover in Shatterpoint mentioned it, and when fans pointed out that 3 million soldiers was absurdly low, his response was basically just to say, "That number came from Lucas, my hands were tied," and people moved on.

Traviss on the other hand when people brought it up, doubled down, said that 3 million were all you needed with her genetic supermen, and talking about how she wanted to kill anyone who challenged her on it and that fans were unhappy because they wanted to have as much sex as her fictional characters would have if they were real.

Traviss feels like a rejected character from that episode of Brooklyn 99 where they infiltrate a fantasy/sci-fi convention. I can imagine Kathryn Hahn or Kristen Wiig defiantly yelling that dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t think so; Traviss was brought into Halo only relatively recently (post-Bungie/Halo Reach, inside the era of 343i) to make bad plot novels trying to explain the backstory for Halo 4. I’d swear the “the suit jacks him off” stuff is older than that, though it’s extremely possible that I’m wrong.

Also I think just summarizing it as “beefy supersoldier dudes” is putting too simple a spin on her shtick. Traviss is extremely in love with this idea of stoic, honorable warrior cultures that other people look upon with reverance and awe that comes across as her being way too enamored with Gurkhas, and with an unironic pseudofascist idea soldiers are a state’s only “true” citizens. You get the former with the way she wrote the Mandalorians during her stint writing Star Wars, the Pesang hill-folk (which are never seen or even mentioned in the games) in the Gears novels, and the way she wrote the Sangheli/Elites in the one Halo book I read. The latter just sort of pervades the way she writes the CoG & UNSC as being completely in the right despite all the horrid poo poo they commit; it comes across like she’s one of those people who read Starship Troopers way too many times in high school and doesn’t get that Verhoeven’s movie is meant to be satirical.