Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Koivunen posted:

Good morning parents! What time were you woken up this morning? I’ll start!

4:35am

6:00, by the cat.

Kid slept until 8, magnificently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Kids did great today. Slept until 6:45. (normally 7:45)

Me on the other hand? Awake and on the toilet all night after surely catching the stomach bug my daughter had a few days ago.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Wooo, was expecting the worst when kid woke up at 4am to go to the washroom. He did his thing and went back to bed until 630! That's a win in my book.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
4am :tootzzz:

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Koivunen posted:

I am shocked, because it was 7:30am for the 13mo (not counting his wake-ups where he went back down). He has been waking up at 7:30am more lately instead of his usual 6am, but I figured this would undo it. He did skip his second nap and get put to bed late (on purpose) yesterday, so we'll see if it sticks.

But I woke up earlier because we're dogsitting for my in-laws and their chihuahua mix whines to be let out at like...5 or 6am, and has had accidents in our house before (our chihuahua mix does too, so I take it seriously).

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
5am - runs out of room screaming “I’m out of breath daddy!!!”, drinks a sip of water, tosses and turns until having to go pee 30 minutes later and fully waking up

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Koivunen posted:

4:35am

7:15 and she always sleeps through the night :smugdog:

(Knocking on wood VERY HARD as I type this)

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Owlet cam software lacks a sharing feature for when we have parents or sitters watching the baby. Logging everyone into one account with a live stream into our house is less than ideal.

Easiest solution is to buy a dumb cam monitor for sitters to use, but any recommendations for a cam with a phone app that can grant temporary guest privileges?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
The toddler usually wakes up between 7 & 7:30. Today she was up at 5:15. I know because she cried for like a minute before deciding to entertain herself for two hours, which is great because the baby spent that two hours trying to decide if she wanted to eat or not.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...
Kiddo’s been sleeping until 8, and it was 7 this morning. So we’re doing okay!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Kiddo woke up at 630AM but wife woke me up at 2:00AM with an off the charts hypoglycemic episode. So I got to squirt glucose gel into her mouth while she screamed and thrashed around and refused to eat it, which was fun and not terrifying. Almost had to go for the glucagon injection. Then 15 minutes later when the sugar hits her brain and wakes her up she just asked “hey what happened?”

So I traded saving her life for sleeping in a little longer and she got to wake up with the kiddo.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

We got the daylight savings wildcard of puke at 2am!!! And 4am!!! And finally just up at 6am.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

DARPA posted:

Owlet cam software lacks a sharing feature for when we have parents or sitters watching the baby. Logging everyone into one account with a live stream into our house is less than ideal.

Easiest solution is to buy a dumb cam monitor for sitters to use, but any recommendations for a cam with a phone app that can grant temporary guest privileges?

I never got an Owlet cam because I heard bad reviews but the annoying account set up and the pain of using one with a different wifi is one of my biggest gripes about Owlet in general. I have a dumb monitor and it’s nice to have it just work.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Why would you go to the doctor over HFM? :confused:

Just give them something for the fever and let them rest.

Because we were going to check to see if his cold was gone or if something had moved into his ears. There already was an appointment.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

My kid slept until 8:45 but the tradeoff was getting up screaming at midnight and finding out her fever had climbed to 104-105 and having to give meds and sponge a screaming kid off in the bath until her temp came down for like 2 hours so whose to say if it is good or not

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
We lucked out. Our daughter normally wakes up around 6am and we go in there around 6:45-7. She woke up around 5am but we didn't go in there until 6:45 or so and she was just fine. (She usually crawls around, talks, and is now pulling herself up to stand, and never cries in that morning period)

Now we'll see how tonight goes...

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

space uncle posted:

Kiddo woke up at 630AM but wife woke me up at 2:00AM with an off the charts hypoglycemic episode. So I got to squirt glucose gel into her mouth while she screamed and thrashed around and refused to eat it, which was fun and not terrifying. Almost had to go for the glucagon injection. Then 15 minutes later when the sugar hits her brain and wakes her up she just asked “hey what happened?”

So I traded saving her life for sleeping in a little longer and she got to wake up with the kiddo.

You want cookie icing. https://www.bettycrocker.com/products/dessert-decorating-products/icing/betty-crocker-white-decorating-cookie-icing

29g carb in 2 TBSP, and it's sticky as hell. You can just squeeze the pouch to pipe it in and they can't spit it out (easily). Kiddo spit out the gel once and the next time I just went for the icing.

Awkwardly for me, it smells SO SWEET and associating that with treating him, I'm probably just going to have some plain Christmas cookies this year.

Hope you're all doing better. :)

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Both kids kept more or less to the same schedule, so up at 7 but we’re skipping naps for the toddler in the hopes that we can also kick her bedtime back to 730. In the summer it encroached till 815/830, and on top of a fussy baby meant we got maybe an hour of kids free time at night. I don’t even know what I’d do with myself if I could walk out of her room at 730.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Suddenly both my kids are demanding to watch Encanto over and over again. What year is it?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Homie slept until about 7AM or so today? He's usually up at around 5:45/6AM or so everyday but not always of his own choice. Since my wife works early at a hospital I end up getting up at around the same time and sometimes I end up having to wake him up, which I hate doing.

He does go back to sleep on the car ride to grandma's though so it works out.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
*kiddo poking at his balls in the bath*

THIS IS MY PENIS BRAIN

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We've been having a hard time keeping night time routine on track what with having a two week old and all so the time change landed at a good time. He was staying up an hour late and sleeping an hour in lately and hey that problem just solved itself.

I've been doing baby night shift, and I traded off with my wife around 6:30am. At 6:40 my older crawls into bed with me and asks to make a tunnel with my pillows. That's a no from me dawg.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Love the increasingly implausible stories about what hurts while trying turn bedtime stories into more time to run around wildly:

1. Belly (not outside the realm of possibility)
2. Leg (press X to doubt)
3. Hair (come on…)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

My wife went on a trip with a couple friends this weekend. As they were talking, she found out that both of her friends are getting evaluations for / already have their kids diagnosed with ADHD (3 kids total between the two of them). Their kids are pretty on-par with our kids, behavior-wise, so now my wife thinks we should talk to the doctor about ADHD in our kids.

In my opinion, our kids are fine. Our daughter may hit some of the "inattentiveness" bullets for ADHD, but she does well in life (school, social, etc). And our son hits several "hyperactivity" bullets, but he also does well in life. I, personally, don't think we need to ask a doctor about it if we weren't concerned about the kids before my wife found out this information. I don't want to be peer-pressured into diagnosing something we never had concerns about.

Am I minimizing things here? Should we ask for an evaluation?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Not treating your kids any differently is definitely the right approach, if everything is working out for you currently.

If you suspect that they might need some sort of accommodations in the future then it could be nice to have a diagnosis in your back pocket so that you don’t have to go through a lengthy waiting process to get one when you/they are already under stress.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

How old are they, out of curiosity?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Daughter is 8 and son is 5. The big thing that makes me think it's not a concern is that the CDC's diagnosis page uses the term "often" for every bullet point, and you have to hit 5 or 6 of them. Our kids hit a lot of the bullets at times, but I wouldn't call it "often" and never all the bullet points consistently. I'd classify it as "sometimes," "occasionally," or "infrequently." Heck, I hit the things in those bullet points every so often, but I wouldn't ever consider getting an ADHD diagnosis for myself. A lot of the bullet points just sound like typical age-appropriate behavior for my kids.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I personally wouldn’t rush to get an ADHD diagnosis for 8 and 5 year olds because of the overlap between ADHD symptoms and age-appropriate behavior but it’s certainly worth monitoring and considering as they get older.

I was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult in my late 30s and an earlier diagnosis would have been huge because I didn't realize how hard I was actually working compared to my peers for the same results, especially once I got to high school and college. I did fine, but there were a lot of little systems and random tricks I had to implement just to maintain order in my life. Basically what I'm saying is “doing well in life” doesn’t necessarily indicate a neurotypical individual so don't rely on external outcomes alone.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Yeah, the only reason we took our daughter to a psychologist was her behaviors were becoming hard to manage. She was doing okay in school, but she lost it at home. There was just a drop in our quality of life.

If you suspect they may have ADHD you might want to read up a little bit. I recommend Dr. Russell Barkley; there are some youtubes of some talks he's given that are extremely informative.

If you don't have any need or intention to get interventions at the moment then getting a diagnosis won't matter right now. It could even add a stigma to your child... On the other hand you could have it in your pocket if you do need interventions in the future.

Have you talked to their teachers? When we told our daughter's second grade teacher she'd been diagnosed she was like "yeah, that's not surprising, she just spent half a day organizing the class books, instead of doing class work."

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

One thing no one told about being a parent is what a work out this is. I’m a shlubby guy (big surprise), but I’ve gotten considerably more fit since they boy arrived 4 months ago.

I carry his 6kg rear end all the time, I carry the bath filled with water every evening, carry the car seat with him inside up and down the stairs in our building, fold and unfold the stroller and spend at least an hour a day out in the air pushing the stroller.

I had a slipped disk surgery two months before birth and couldn’t imagine getting back in shape fast enough to be able to carry all this, but honestly, it worked out great.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

killer crane posted:

Yeah, the only reason we took our daughter to a psychologist was her behaviors were becoming hard to manage. She was doing okay in school, but she lost it at home. There was just a drop in our quality of life.

If you suspect they may have ADHD you might want to read up a little bit. I recommend Dr. Russell Barkley; there are some youtubes of some talks he's given that are extremely informative.

If you don't have any need or intention to get interventions at the moment then getting a diagnosis won't matter right now. It could even add a stigma to your child... On the other hand you could have it in your pocket if you do need interventions in the future.

Have you talked to their teachers? When we told our daughter's second grade teacher she'd been diagnosed she was like "yeah, that's not surprising, she just spent half a day organizing the class books, instead of doing class work."

Their teachers have always said good things about our kids - no issues or concerns. Our daughter, specifically, has an extremely hyperactive classmate in her class. They have a trampoline in the room specifically for this kid to burn energy during class, so I think her teacher would let us know if she noticed problems.

I may have not made it clear in my OP, but we've never had concerns or suspicions about ADHD in our kids. The only reason it's being brought up now is because my wife's friends think their kids have it, and she is comparing their kids vs ours and thinking their kids' behavior is comparable to our kids'. But we don't see their kids every second of the day, so I'm sure there were flags we don't know about that prompted her friends to get evaluations.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 6, 2023

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
WRT ADHD diagnosis: it's never a bad thing to get them checked out. Worst case is that the doctor says they're fine. My albeit limited knowledge of ADHD is that the concern point is when the child's behaviors become extremely disruptive. My nephew has a diagnosis and in his case, it manifested as him being a colossal rear end in a top hat. He's a smart kid, so he got bored in class, and acted out because he didn't know what else to do with himself. The moment he got put on meds, he became significantly less of an rear end in a top hat.

What do their teachers say? As a parent, you can be incredibly biased since no parent wants to admit there's something wrong with their kids. I would trust their teachers, they see this poo poo all the time. If your teachers aren't worried and they're doing well in school then it's probably fine.

Mokotow posted:

One thing no one told about being a parent is what a work out this is. I’m a shlubby guy (big surprise), but I’ve gotten considerably more fit since they boy arrived 4 months ago.

I carry his 6kg rear end all the time, I carry the bath filled with water every evening, carry the car seat with him inside up and down the stairs in our building, fold and unfold the stroller and spend at least an hour a day out in the air pushing the stroller.

I had a slipped disk surgery two months before birth and couldn’t imagine getting back in shape fast enough to be able to carry all this, but honestly, it worked out great.

I once held my 9 month old baby up for the entirety of a 3 hour flight because he had a fussy take off and I was summoning every ounce of my dad energy to not disturb his peaceful slumber. I had nothing to lean or rest my arm on, the entire flight was done under my own strength. I have no loving idea how I pulled that off.

Dad mode is a real thing.

I have no idea how I'm going to pull through with #2 because I slipped a disc back in July that's mostly untreated so far, and am significantly more shlubby now than I was 4 years ago

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Am I minimizing things here? Should we ask for an evaluation?

N:th-ing the "wait" recommendation. Diagnoses are for people who are having a problem. No problem, no diagnosis. Re-evaluate regularly. Overdiagnosis is a Real Thing and can lead to real problems.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Renegret posted:

I have no idea how I'm going to pull through with #2 because I slipped a disc back in July that's mostly untreated so far, and am significantly more shlubby now than I was 4 years ago

Hey man, get that checked out. Mine was giving me discomfort for two years, but when it went, it went - within a month I went through annoyance to not being able to sleep to not being able to lie down or sit for longer than 15 minutes and walking for 20 hours a day until loosing consciousness and getting 4 hours of sleep that way and ending in ER with the worse pain in my life.

A lot of the slipped disc situations can be resolved with physio exercises or local anesthesia surgery. Sometimes a one day full anesthesia surgery is needed but it’s manageable.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah don't gently caress around with spinal injuries go get that poo poo checked out. Especially if it's become a chronic issue

Also there might be a statute of limitations of 6 months to get this injury on your work's insurance rather than your own. If you take too long to report it, you might be out of pocket

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 6, 2023

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here

Renegret posted:

*kiddo poking at his balls in the bath*

THIS IS MY PENIS BRAIN

This but "I want do balls"

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
One thing for ADHD, since you mentioned your daughter has a hyperactive classmate and you're comparing to that kid, is that inattentive type won't necessarily manifest the same, especially in a girl. Doesn't mean your daughter has it, just that I wouldn't use that as a benchmark.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Oh my god having breakfast with my niece in law and she’s officially the first person to actually be able to tell my daughters apart besides me and their mother/my spouse

How the gently caress is this grade schooler able to pick them out when like mom/mom in law/dad in law/sister in law/aunt/bestest friends/ no one besides us can tell them apart without colour coding?? They are small and identical but tbh already have personalities. 95% of it is « loves attention, bright colours, and boobs » (and hell same) but the 5% is everything.

My heart is breaking in a good way

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

3 year old has what is obviously gastroenteritis, but my stupid doctor brain won't stop screaming about appendicitis or meningitis or sepsis and whenever she gets more stomach cramps and screams/throws up I practically have a panic attack.

She's fine, this was all 12+ hours ago but gently caress me this sucks. Starting to think I actually have legit mental trauma from my job. I got virtually no sleep last night and I can't sleep now because I'm terrified she's going to wake up screaming again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Mokotow posted:

Hey man, get that checked out. Mine was giving me discomfort for two years, but when it went, it went - within a month I went through annoyance to not being able to sleep to not being able to lie down or sit for longer than 15 minutes and walking for 20 hours a day until loosing consciousness and getting 4 hours of sleep that way and ending in ER with the worse pain in my life.

A lot of the slipped disc situations can be resolved with physio exercises or local anesthesia surgery. Sometimes a one day full anesthesia surgery is needed but it’s manageable.

I actually have had it looked at and I have a script for PT sitting in my car that I need to follow up on. I went to the ortho a few days before this baby came, put off calling PT because I'm lazy, then a routine check up for my wife turned into an emergency C-section so it got pushed to the bottom of the priority list.

Funny enough it feels significantly better now that I'm not sitting in an office chair 10 hours a day.