Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

mikeycp posted:

The 4kids dub is bad BUT the rap is immaculate

Zelo flaws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Looks like (:pray:) next week's anime episode is the debut of Cross Guild :hellyeah:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

meh

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 5, 2023

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I cannot call the rap flawless for the simple reason that it lies to you, the listener

He's made of rubber? He took a bite of Gum-Gum? Bullshit

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's amazing to see, like, 90k viewers minimum on the One Piece official broadcast.

Right now it's like 200k.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

they want shady posted:

I don't know a lot about American fans, but do you really think it's popular enough to become passé? Like, maybe the Live Action series has been a real hit over there, but down the border I've talked to a couple of people who've been interested but that's about it

Could. But probably is held back by being a comic and a fairly kid-friendly one to boot. Game of Thrones got where it is by being scandalous soap opera drama (...and great writing, yes, but 'hey did you see those siblings doing it in a tower and then murdering a kid makes for immediately engaging office cooler chat), whereas One Piece you have a guy who fights using cooked noodles coming out of his nose.

I've had a fair amount of people who I've tried to convince to read the series over the years finally giving it a shot (and half that are in it now) following the Netflix release. The barrier of entry is still HIGH, as no one wants to commit to a 1000+ chapter series. But poo poo GoT was also a stupidly long book series too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019276

Of-fish-al

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

Robin's entire vibe post-timeskip is clearly knowing much more than she lets on but she doesn't talk about any of it because Luffy does not give a gently caress.

Also she already knows Luffy would be pissed and quit the entire adventure if she told him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Could. But probably is held back by being a comic and a fairly kid-friendly one to boot. Game of Thrones got where it is by being scandalous soap opera drama (...and great writing, yes, but 'hey did you see those siblings doing it in a tower and then murdering a kid makes for immediately engaging office cooler chat), whereas One Piece you have a guy who fights using cooked noodles coming out of his nose.

I've had a fair amount of people who I've tried to convince to read the series over the years finally giving it a shot (and half that are in it now) following the Netflix release. The barrier of entry is still HIGH, as no one wants to commit to a 1000+ chapter series. But poo poo GoT was also a stupidly long book series too.

It's because we humans are absolutely loving terrible at comparing non-visual things. People look at GOT and say to themselves, "Oh, only 5 books" that's definitely less than 1100 chapters. Despite almost any person being able to read all of One Piece quicker than they do A Song of Ice and Fire.

It doesn't help that for some reason a lot of the fandom like to hype up how long it is when talking about it. Trying to sell "25 years and over 1,000 chapters" isn't nearly as effective as "It's got about 10 main arcs". Especially when most people are going to think it's book chapter length, when we're talking much more like comic book issues.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i mean the best point in one piece's favor is that it will almost certainly actually have an ending

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

They need to give it the Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood treatment and start over now, with better animation and no filler.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Yeah the Wano animation teams have all proved themselves, let them loose on redoing the East Blue stories at least and see what comes of it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The problem with that is not just that it's a MASSIVE undertaking but also that One Piece, especially in the back half, is dense enough to support its current non-seasonal structure. The cuts would get less and less substantial.

e: on the other hand, maybe they could fix Reverse Mountain so that a bunch of it isn't inexplicably taken up by a filler villain

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, at this point it might be easier to just give it the Kai treatment rather than reanimating everything from scratch

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Redoing One Piece from the beginning would mostly just be changing the aspect ratio for the first almost 6 years of it's run. I think even the Loguetown filler is fully quarantined in it's own episodes.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah i think a one piece kai would work better. basically everything in the manga has a 1:1 counterpart in the anime. that said, god i wish theyd reanimate dressrosa.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

anime was right posted:

yeah i think a one piece kai would work better. basically everything in the manga has a 1:1 counterpart in the anime. that said, god i wish theyd reanimate dressrosa.

Didn’t Dressrosa drag a bit in the manga as well (though the anime version made it worse)?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Larryb posted:

Didn’t Dressrosa drag a bit in the manga as well (though the anime version made it worse)?

it did yeah. my problem with the anime version of dressrosa is the animation is easily the worst in the entire series.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
couldn't tell from the manga that Shanks was sending out actual Haki beams. I guess he is a Hockeyman after all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UCRUvw3Ltw

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

hatty posted:

couldn't tell from the manga that Shanks was sending out actual Haki beams. I guess he is a Hockeyman after all
The storyboarders and animators are suffering from withdrawal after spending three straight years drawing haki brain lightning, let them have this

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
shanks as a celestial dragon makes a lot more sense now that i know he's char. how long did they have to wait for that bit to become apparent

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

hatty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UCRUvw3Ltw

It looks like Shanks uses his Haki to stop Greenbull from moving and then suppresses his fruit somehow? I didn’t get that from the manga at all

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wish they could spare some budget and animate those cover stories. Maybe give them to people new to animation to help them get a start.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Arist posted:

The problem with that is not just that it's a MASSIVE undertaking but also that One Piece, especially in the back half, is dense enough to support its current non-seasonal structure. The cuts would get less and less substantial.

e: on the other hand, maybe they could fix Reverse Mountain so that a bunch of it isn't inexplicably taken up by a filler villain

G-8 can stay, but please get rid of Rainbow Mist.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
con d. oriani is im

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

It looks like Shanks uses his Haki to stop Greenbull from moving and then suppresses his fruit somehow? I didn’t get that from the manga at all

I think greenbull was deactivating his power to indicate he didn't want to fight the enormous haki presence he was sensing but its hard to say for sure.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I have this feeling that Kuma is not Bonney's biological father.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Flair posted:

I have this feeling that Kuma is not Bonney's biological father.

Kuma thinking of his father makes me believe he never intended to have biological children at all

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Desumaytah posted:

I was worried that Coby would capture Boa off-panel to show how strong he'd become post timeskip. Instead, she wrecked his poo poo but also there were Blackbeard shenanigans. Then, just when I thought that pink-haired nerd was gonna end up a chump, he punches the arm of an island off. I love this series.

ye. one cool thing w boa is that she was introduced as a master of haki and has largely not been expanded upon since, so oda can realistically make her as competent in a fight as he wants and it won't seem wacky

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Eiba posted:

I guess that's fair, but kind of weird from my perspective. Kid was a bad dude, but he wasn't weak. We saw that in his fights with Kaido and Big Mom. My takeaway from that wipeout was that Shanks was really strong. It was really cool and well deserved and all that, but not because Kid was all talk. Shanks did that to someone who was in fact Luffy's near-peer. That's way more hosed up and crazy cool than Kid actually just being "useless Craptian Mid".

my takeaway was that oda didn't feel like drawing a longer battle and is pretty relaxed about power scaling stuff tbh

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Gologle posted:

I cannot call the rap flawless for the simple reason that it lies to you, the listener

He's made of rubber? He took a bite of Gum-Gum? Bullshit

tbf the wg doesn't say the nika fruit is necessarily it's only name, but rather that it's "also" that, so the gum gum still exists i guess.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
He is in fact still made of rubber.

That's just how Sun God fruits work.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Luffy has both the properties of rubber and fun.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

He is in fact still made of rubber.

That's just how Sun God fruits work.

maybe this is just pedantic, but isn't it the Hito Hito no Mi Model : Nika (as in, NOT Model : Sun God Nika)?

i ask cuz if skypeia is anything to go by, the story seems to come down on the idea that ther aren't really "gods" at play, it's just how people think of things

side note but i slightly curious if Joy boy ends up doing something oden-esque when we finally learn his story. he's SO emphasized at "making people laugh", but oden did this with a funny dance as well.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Being a cartoon is a property of rubber, because you can put silly putty over the funny pages and then it transfers over to the silly putty. Mash it back up and being a cartoon is now an intrinsic property of that silly putty. Very straightforward.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I see, so it's a mystery power :):coffee:

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I wonder what Oda's perspective on Jesus/Christianity is. Even from early days there's been references (Sodom/Gomorroah as names of Franky's King Bulls) or Kuma carrying a bible. Now Kuma is literally taking on the pain of others which is a Jesus parallel if ever there was one let alone him being a "pastor."

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Apocron posted:

I wonder what Oda's perspective on Jesus/Christianity is. Even from early days there's been references (Sodom/Gomorroah as names of Franky's King Bulls) or Kuma carrying a bible. Now Kuma is literally taking on the pain of others which is a Jesus parallel if ever there was one let alone him being a "pastor."

one of the bad guys is jesus

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
is Jesus Burger's name pronounced Jee-zus or Hey-zoos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ジーザス・バージェス