Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Shockeh posted:

I'm stuck.

I read Solar War, and was soundly not disappointed, just 'Well, this is OK, I guess - It's certainly not the drama of the Siege of Terra I was hoping for'.
Then I started Lost and the Damned, and I don't want to skip it because I want to read The Siege Of Terra, capitalisation intended, not the highlights. But it's just... dull. It's loving dull, sorry.

Skip ahead to Saturnine, Saturnine owns. You can finish Lost and the Damned later (or not, if you don't feel like it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Volume II basically confirms an older plot line the star child and I want to revise another theory I have with the Bequin trilogy based off of it.

The star child is what Valdor is up to in the pocket dimension/warp. He’s either fighting to recover it or defending it, probably the former. I also think the ending confirms my theory about Sanguinius being corrupted somehow

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Demiurge4 posted:

Volume II basically confirms an older plot line the star child and I want to revise another theory I have with the Bequin trilogy based off of it.

The star child is what Valdor is up to in the pocket dimension/warp. He’s either fighting to recover it or defending it, probably the former. I also think the ending confirms my theory about Sanguinius being corrupted somehow

What's you're argument for the latter, its stated that Horus tried to get nurgle to make a deal with old sangy boy, but the end is basically him saying "gently caress you, even if I die, and I know I am going to die" to Horus

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

(TEATD2 spoliers)

I appreciate how, even in moments of victory, Chaos can't be triumphant, or elegant, or beautiful in any way. It's just ugly. Ugly like a man beating a dog to death. Ugly like handling a corpse.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I can't wait to go back in the thread and check out my dumb speculation for EatD2.

I'm about 1/3 through it and it's loving awesome.

Also echoing that Mortis is worth skipping. Everything in it is a waste, and the best thing I remember from it was actually in Warhawk.

Rabidsamba
Sep 1, 2011
Just to give an alternative view of the less enjoyed Siege books, I read Warhawk and Saturnine first (it’s what my library had) and then decided to go back and read through the whole thing. Solar War was fun for the scale of things and seeing Horus just smash through the system while still leaving room for some great Loyalist pyrrhic wins. Lost and the Damned may not have had the best primarch action but it did endear me quite thoroughly to Katsuhiro. It’s not the best book on is own but I think the rest of em build on it quite well. The First Wall was the first Gav Thorpe book I’ve read after repeatedly hearing how bad he is and honestly it was fine? He’s no Abnett or ADB, and it was a very “marines smashin into each other repeatedly” story but I still enjoyed the journey, especially for continuing to add to Fafnir Rann’s frustrations that he eventually gets to let out later in the series.

Saturnine is just insanely good I got nothing else to add that hasn’t already been said.

Mortis is another one that I went into after hearing nothing good about it but similar to Lost and the Damned I actually really liked what it did with one of the side factions of the siege in how it showed the smaller loyalist Knight houses. I know lots of people were disappointed with the Dies Irae but to me it felt like a decent depiction of an otherworldly engine just kinda doing its own thing including ignoring some basic laws of the universe.

Warhawk and Echoes also both just absolutely great, though I think they both also benefit a lot from all the previous books, sometimes just in little throwaway lines, sometimes to get a better idea of a character’s motivation.

I’m halfway through EatD volume 1 right now and I’m really glad I read all the books beforehand. Abnett is blazing through seemingly every character that has even a single moment in the series and I am here for it.

All that said, it’s your leisure time so spend it however you want to. Saturnine and Warhawk were such good reads for me that I went through them twice, so if you do need to skip to one of the more beloved entries do it, but I highly recommend going back afterwards to get the full picture.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Grilled Beef posted:

Man Maximus Thane old af if he fights in the Great Crusade, Heresy, Siege, War of the Beast, and The Beheading.

Or is this a “same name different guy” situation?

They keep making a point out of Archamus being "Archamus, second of his name" so I'm guessing the Fists pass down their important/historic names. So there's always a Maximus Thane.

Also not really a spoiler but I'll cover it just to be safe, I absolutely love the line He does know that the final hours of Terra's fall are not a teaching moment. As someone who encounters this phrase a lot, it's very :haw:

Kylaer fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 6, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I loved all the siege books so far except Mortis, which squandered so much potential, and saturnine. Everyone else loves Saturnine but to me it felt like the book Abnett had to push out inbetween the books he wanted to write, ie Bequin. The prose is just not as good as his other works imo.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That Horus guy is a real jerk.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Don't forget the Novellas as well. Sons of The Selenar was meh, I really enjoyed Fury of Magnus, and Garro was a good end to his storyline throughout the siege if that is something you are interested in. I thought we were supposed to get one more but unless they surprise release between now and Volume 3 in January I don't think it's happening. I guess they could release one after volume 3 that deals with the aftermath?

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

D-Pad posted:

Don't forget the Novellas as well. Sons of The Selenar was meh, I really enjoyed Fury of Magnus, and Garro was a good end to his storyline throughout the siege if that is something you are interested in. I thought we were supposed to get one more but unless they surprise release between now and Volume 3 in January I don't think it's happening. I guess they could release one after volume 3 that deals with the aftermath?

I think we're supposed to get a Horus primarch novel in between EATD2 and 3 but I'm not 100% on that.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

wiegieman posted:

(TEATD2 spoliers)

I appreciate how, even in moments of victory, Chaos can't be triumphant, or elegant, or beautiful in any way. It's just ugly. Ugly like a man beating a dog to death. Ugly like handling a corpse.

Sanguinius beaten to death LIKE A DOG :chaostrump:

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I'd say that even the bad Siege books (Last Wall and Mortis) are worth reading as long as you just really, surgically cut out and skip past about a third to a half of each. It's easy to do, because those parts are really pretty chunked together and discrete.

For Last Wall, just skip the parts where the Imperial Guard army is trying to get to a train. It's all stupid and goes nowhere.
For Mortis, skip everything involving Knights and Titans (literally the point of the book, but it's all terrible). It's almost like a separate, awful, predictable, and boring book bolted onto a decent "hey here's what's going on with the main characters" novella.

In both cases, you still get some great primarch dynamics, and some interesting smaller characters who recur, and you don't have to slowly slog through about 120 or so pages per book that just make your eyes glaze over.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Mortis's build-up:payoff ratio is astoundingly bad.

It's also the series debut of the Ordo Sinister who all get killed in three to five pages.

Mortis feels like an afterthought, like someone remembered Adeptus Titanicus and decided to give it some inconsequential screen time.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
EatD2: Man, it’s nice to see Abaddon have his poo poo together. So much of Horus Heresy, and even most of Siege, he’s been a mad dog, just your standard hyper violent brute at the villains elbow. Nothing particularly interesting about him, just “angle bargle bad guy roar!” Here even in a situation he is not in control of, he’s a thinking character with goals, focus, drive, and foibles. He’s actually realized as a character. It’s such a welcome change from his usual garbage depictions.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

For Last Wall, just skip the parts where the Imperial Guard army is trying to get to a train. It's all stupid and goes nowhere.
For Mortis, skip everything involving Knights and Titans (literally the point of the book, but it's all terrible). It's almost like a separate, awful, predictable, and boring book bolted onto a decent "hey here's what's going on with the main characters" novella

don't do this it's more effort than it's worth and the train sections of the first wall are fun

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I've skipped the entirety of the Siege except for Saturnine, which I'm about to finish. I really want to get into The End and the Death, but I'm starting to wonder if I should actually read Echoes of Eternity. How skippable is Echoes if I generally like ADB's stuff, but just can't keep up with every single BL release even though I want to (unless it's written by Gav Thorpe :v:)?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Badly Jester posted:

I've skipped the entirety of the Siege except for Saturnine, which I'm about to finish. I really want to get into The End and the Death, but I'm starting to wonder if I should actually read Echoes of Eternity. How skippable is Echoes if I generally like ADB's stuff, but just can't keep up with every single BL release even though I want to (unless it's written by Gav Thorpe :v:)?

Echoes is really good, especially if you like ADB's previous Heresy stuff. I actually liked it more than Saturnine.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I spent some time now reading The End And The Death 2 and I can confirm without a doubt that it is a book

I'm loving how batshit insane the esoteric nonsense gets. I don't even care if the book is good at this point. This trilory is a one time event in the history of BL books. I hope Abnett goes ballsdeep with the LSD eyedrops by book 3 and the warp fully bleeds over into realspace when his psychotic rear end is transported off to a psych ward.

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 6, 2023

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Experience The End and The Death the way it was intended: as a audiobook, while tripping balls on psychedelics :hmmyes:

(May require a trip to Colorado to perform legally)

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Echoes is really good, especially if you like ADB's previous Heresy stuff. I actually liked it more than Saturnine.

I looked through the Heresy novels I've read and which ones I liked the most, and immediately felt stupid for getting so caught up in the EatD hype that I was going to skip Echoes of Eternity. Crisis averted.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Badly Jester posted:

I looked through the Heresy novels I've read and which ones I liked the most, and immediately felt stupid for getting so caught up in the EatD hype that I was going to skip Echoes of Eternity. Crisis averted.

Saturnine, Warhawk, and Echoes are considered must reads ITT generally.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
I would add the Solar War on the list of must reads, not because of the quality of writing but it does set up the entire series and is one of the few 40k/30k books that gets the scale right.

Good lord tEatD is currently a perfect cap stone to the Hersey series. It is a completely overblown gothic drawn out end to a completely overblown series.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

OPAONI posted:

Saturnine, Warhawk, and Echoes are considered must reads ITT generally.

I generally like Wraight's books too. Don't do this to me - at this rate I'll never find out if the Emperor and Horus make up in the end.

Fake edit: I just bought it

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 6, 2023

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I would add the Solar War on the list of must reads, not because of the quality of writing but it does set up the entire series and is one of the few 40k/30k books that gets the scale right.

Good lord tEatD is currently a perfect cap stone to the Hersey series. It is a completely overblown gothic drawn out end to a completely overblown series.

I agree.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

What's you're argument for the latter, its stated that Horus tried to get nurgle to make a deal with old sangy boy, but the end is basically him saying "gently caress you, even if I die, and I know I am going to die" to Horus

Because Sanguinius hasn’t shown any sign of the black rage before or after the fight. He’s dead now so whatever it is, Horus is about to inflict it on his dead body and ghost. I’ve also had the dumb idea that Eisenhorns pet daemonhost is a piece of Sanguinius. But that’s only based on its name being Cherubael.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I'm genuinely sad that EatD is so locked up behind genre fiction reluctance and a massive wall of content/context you have to climb to appreciate that the wider non-40k scifi and even literature fandom isn't able to appreciate it in any real way. It''s truly a singular fever dream of a book that I know a lot of people would really enjoy but only if they decided to care about 40k and also put in the massive time to read enough other books to get the context. Like I have several friends who I know would absolutely love it but they'd never take the time to get to it in the first place and I don't blame them at all.

It's so drat good but nobody but us gets it. Abnett has done something unique and I love it.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

Because Sanguinius hasn’t shown any sign of the black rage before or after the fight. He’s dead now so whatever it is, Horus is about to inflict it on his dead body and ghost. I’ve also had the dumb idea that Eisenhorns pet daemonhost is a piece of Sanguinius. But that’s only based on its name being Cherubael.

The Black Rage never affected Sanguinius himself, IIRC, it was something specifically that affected his gene-line starting with his death. And it's foreshadowed that it's about to hit, in Fafnir Rann's last fragment. The book stops at the moment of Sanguinius' death so I'm guessing the Black Rage will hit at the opening of Volume 3.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kylaer posted:

Experience The End and The Death the way it was intended: as a audiobook, while tripping balls on psychedelics :hmmyes:

(May require a trip to Colorado to perform legally)

Highly recommend this btw. Well not via audiobook as I hate them, but reading on psychedelics owns.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

D-Pad posted:

I'm genuinely sad that EatD is so locked up behind genre fiction reluctance and a massive wall of content/context you have to climb to appreciate that the wider non-40k scifi and even literature fandom isn't able to appreciate it in any real way. It''s truly a singular fever dream of a book that I know a lot of people would really enjoy but only if they decided to care about 40k and also put in the massive time to read enough other books to get the context. Like I have several friends who I know would absolutely love it but they'd never take the time to get to it in the first place and I don't blame them at all.

It's so drat good but nobody but us gets it. Abnett has done something unique and I love it.

One of the more literary posters on one of the other threads abruptly found himself reading dozens of Halo and Warhammer books all of a sudden. If a guy who shits on Discworld for being common trash can come around, anyone can.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

FPyat posted:

a guy who shits on Discworld for being common trash

What the gently caress

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm calling the inquisition and you'd better be drat sure I'm getting a puritan.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Chelys galactica is a native species of the Ultima Segmentum and is common enough there as to be unremarkable. Seeing one in Solar or Pacificus would raise some eyebrows but they're not unheard of.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

FPyat posted:

One of the more literary posters on one of the other threads abruptly found himself reading dozens of Halo and Warhammer books all of a sudden. If a guy who shits on Discworld for being common trash can come around, anyone can.

Got a link to their post about it? I love when that kind of thing happens. Like I understand why a lot of people aren't interested in or hold their noses at something like 40k, and to be fair more books are dogshit than not, but the best ones are every bit as good as the best scifi classics and it's sad to me Abnett doesn't get recognition as one of the scifi pantheon when he absolutely should. The man can write.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Kylaer posted:

Chelys galactica is a native species of the Ultima Segmentum and is common enough there as to be unremarkable. Seeing one in Solar or Pacificus would raise some eyebrows but they're not unheard of.

I mean they were but turns out their shells make good void shield components so

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kylaer posted:

The Black Rage never affected Sanguinius himself, IIRC, it was something specifically that affected his gene-line starting with his death. And it's foreshadowed that it's about to hit, in Fafnir Rann's last fragment. The book stops at the moment of Sanguinius' death so I'm guessing the Black Rage will hit at the opening of Volume 3.

Horus is literally about to crucify him, it's definitely going to be a ritualistic desecration that triggers it. Horus described the altar and everything.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Demiurge4 posted:

Horus is literally about to crucify him, it's definitely going to be a ritualistic desecration that triggers it. Horus described the altar and everything.

Now I’m wondering how much of the black rage will be a consequence of Big E’s reaction to what he finds rather than a direct “channeling” of sanguinius in his last moments

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

0konner posted:

Now I’m wondering how much of the black rage will be a consequence of Big E’s reaction to what he finds rather than a direct “channeling” of sanguinius in his last moments

Maybe the black rage is spread across all the angels to prevent its power from going into in one single being?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Finished. Superb. January can't come soon enough for Vol 3.

Demiurge4 posted:

Spoilers for Dawn of Fire series in relation to the TeatD 2 in the quote above:

The star child is a plot point in the Dawn of Fire series and has been born as of the end of the last book (or maybe the one before that?) He's born on a beach on a paradise planet at the very end. The Hand of Abaddon is searching for him throughout his appearances in the series.

Demiurge4 posted:

Demiurge4 posted:

Sanguinius does not ever have the black rage himself. It is an echo of his death suffered by his sons. Abnett foreshadows its about to happen in the final Fafnir Rann paragraphs. Also Sanguinius is stone cold dead at the end, the demons scurry out of the darkness to crucify him but it's not like he is alive to be affected by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So here's a question. I know it might be a moot point given they're Warp entities and don't exactly "age" like astartes but how old would the primarchs have been during the Crusade and the Heresy? At least in terms of how long they inhabited realspace in a physical form.

Are we talking decades, centuries, millennia? Is it possible that there are current day Marines who have been on active duty longer than Rowboat was around prior to his 10000 year stasis nap?