Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

so ive been reading the black company books, which i heard of before but i always assumed they were a warhammer thing, and the first three are pretty good but man almost all of the returning characters in the silver spike get done dirty like 5 pages from the end of the book i guess just for grimdark reasons except raven, he got what he deserved

i was a little annoyed in the white rose when like three quarters of the way through the book they reveal that everybody in the black company apparently has the hots for darling which wasnt hinted at before at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

So, thanks to this thread I picked up Adrian Tchaikovsky's "Children of Time" series, and... oh my god. Devoured all 550+ pages of each book ( Children of Time and Children of Ruin, with Children of Memory to go ) in a day each.

10/10, absolutely recommended. It has cured any lingering arachnophobia I may have had.

And We are going on an adventure!

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 5, 2023

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire #1) by Naomi Novik - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GCFBQA/

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Burned through a couple older SF books the last few days. The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester goes like a mile a minute and deals in Big Ideas. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and unlike the last book I read with a terrible protagonist (Gateway) this one didn’t bother me as much probably because he was so clearly not a real person but rather a vehicle for Bester to get his ideas to the reader. I also thought the world was really cool, Bester did a good job explaining how jaunting would completely flip society on its head and because of that it felt pretty modern.

After finishing it last night I picked up Le Guin’s Planet of Exile and got through it in a pretty quick sitting. It’s got some basic racism allegory stuff but it’s also just a tight little romance with just enough SF to be interesting. I didn’t realize that she was building the Hainish Cycle world up so early in her career, I thought it was like a retcon thing or something like Asimov did.

Stars is wild. How much Bester gets across in such a short novel is truly impressive. The new aristocracy, the labyrinths people create to avoid being jaunted upon, the techno luddites, the people who remove their pain receptors, jaunting itself. All could be its own sci Fi story and Besters just tossing 'em off willy nilly.

If you haven't read it The Demolished Man is almost as good. A man wants to commit a murder in a world where mind reading is common.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Gaius Marius posted:

Stars is wild. How much Bester gets across in such a short novel is truly impressive. The new aristocracy, the labyrinths people create to avoid being jaunted upon, the techno luddites, the people who remove their pain receptors, jaunting itself. All could be its own sci Fi story and Besters just tossing 'em off willy nilly.

If you haven't read it The Demolished Man is almost as good. A man wants to commit a murder in a world where mind reading is common.

But he never wrote any novels other than those two. It's very important you remember this. HE DIDN'T.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Remulak posted:

Hate the way the publishing business runs, there have been wildly complementary quotes on Tor.com for like a year, why bother giving away free ones and delaying the actual release? Lemme pay money and buy the damned book!
You need to build word-of-mouth, because word-of-mouth causes preorders, which causes bookstores and Amazon to take the book seriously. :capitalism: This is also assuming a physical book, which does need substantial lead time even in these electronic days.

pradmer posted:

His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire #1) by Naomi Novik - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GCFBQA/
If you like Daring Tales of Sea Life, you might enjoy this. It's no Patrick O'Brian, mind, although nothing is.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I started A Player of Games recently and I feel like it's just gonna be "look how dumb and evil this thinly veiled equivalent to modern society is! Doesn't it make you think?" Like, I want to know more about the games and the Culture, I don't need a book to tell me that capitalism, racism, and sexism is bad.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

0 rows returned posted:

i was a little annoyed in the white rose when like three quarters of the way through the book they reveal that everybody in the black company apparently has the hots for darling which wasnt hinted at before at all

I swear there’s a scene early on where Croaker is dreaming of being in bed with two underage girls, which kinda sets the stage.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I don't think it gets that bad but I too have a slight hesitation in most Culture books. Say the Affront have a horrific society based on genetic mutilation and deliberate cruelty - it's that Banks might just be waiting behind a bush to go "aha, got you, this society is actually exactly the same as the United Kingdom in the year 2013, furthermore..."

the affront are absolutely an eton dining club

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

But he never wrote any novels other than those two. It's very important you remember this. HE DIDN'T.

I honestly had no idea he had written anything besides, I figured the man got his payday and moved on from the genre.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I started A Player of Games recently and I feel like it's just gonna be "look how dumb and evil this thinly veiled equivalent to modern society is! Doesn't it make you think?" Like, I want to know more about the games and the Culture, I don't need a book to tell me that capitalism, racism, and sexism is bad.
It's a little of "this society is dumb and evil and just like modern society", but the revelation is more about how the Culture works, and particularly that the whole thing was a very long plot by Special Circumstances to blackmail him into joining the mission.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Yeah, player of games is neat but it doesn't have much actual culture stuff going on, and I think people suggest it as an entry point because of that. I don't remember it being overly moralistic in the sense of people learning Important Lessons or anything, but there's a lot (which you've already seen) about this one culture guy (who is himself a weirdo by Culture standards) just seeing people being jerks and not getting it.

There's one overarching culture question it gets into, particularly at the end: What is even the point of people in the AI driven society? In player of games, it becomes clear that the AIs wanted Jerk City to fall apart, so they picked one person out of their unthinkably huge society, and manipulated and managed him over the course of years into knocking that society apart. Any anxiety or personal growth was just some friction in this larger machine, which the main character doesn't really care about, he was just there to play a game.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Gaius Marius posted:

I honestly had no idea he had written anything besides, I figured the man got his payday and moved on from the genre.

You're right. He didn't. I was mistaken. Look! Squirrel!

vvv Absolutely. He wrote some terrific short stories. vvv

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 5, 2023

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Runcible Cat posted:

I do recommend his shorts though, both Starburst and Dark Side of the Earth have some stories that have stuck with me for a long time (coupled with a bunch of duds, but oh well that's what short stories are for)

5,271,009 / Flowered Thundermug / Oddy and Id / The Men Who Murdered Mohammed all have the manicness of Stars My Destination in a tighter package.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

TLM3101 posted:

So, thanks to this thread I picked up Adrian Tchaikovsky's "Children of Time" series, and... oh my god. Devoured all 550+ pages of each book ( Children of Time and Children of Ruin, with Children of Memory to go ) in a day each.

10/10, absolutely recommended. It has cured any lingering arachnophobia I may have had.

And We are going on an adventure!

I absolutely devoured the entire trilogy. Pick up the first book in his other series, Shards of Earth, and woof. I'm 30% into the book and I don't like many of the characters and came specifically to this thread to see if it gets any better.

If someone has read this book, does it get more interesting?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Someone asked me if Lem’s Memoirs of a Space Traveller was the book that inspired Tarkovsky’s Solaris. So close and yet so far…

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I absolutely devoured the entire trilogy. Pick up the first book in his other series, Shards of Earth, and woof. I'm 30% into the book and I don't like many of the characters and came specifically to this thread to see if it gets any better.

The book does get more interesting and ends up one hell of a crazy ride as soon as the Essiel show up, and the next books get even better from there. Also all the characters grew on me over time. Yes, even Ollie. Especially Ollie :colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

StumblyWumbly posted:

Yeah, player of games is neat but it doesn't have much actual culture stuff going on, and I think people suggest it as an entry point because of that.

The Player of Games is the best Culture novel because it has the least of the Culture in it. The Culture as a society is not something that stands up to close examination because as utopian liberals they're inevitably completely up themselves.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Or rather the sort of culture citizens who are worth the attention of Contact who are therefore are in the story are yeah insufferable blowhards of a sort entirely consistent with rich British crust punks

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Eh, I really like Look to Windward and I'd argue it's the most Culture book because its just a bunch of (non-Culture) folks farting around in Culture Utopia, but just being in Utopia doesn't mean their problems are solved, but it does mean that the idea of "accomplishment" is very different.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I loved the trilogy and thought Shards was dumb all the way through, for what it’s worth. The characters did not improve. Wish I’d just given up.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

ulmont posted:

I swear there’s a scene early on where Croaker is dreaming of being in bed with two underage girls, which kinda sets the stage.

It's not Croaker, it's another character, but yeah, it's a... thing. I can't remember his name, but he's a minor character that I believe gets offed later in the book.

[fake edit]: I went back and checked Wikipedia and you're probably remembering Smeds in the Silver Spike.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Nah Croaker dreams about underage threesomes in the first book.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Finished Gene Wolfe's Shadow of the Torturer and loved it. First time I've finished a book in a few days in years probably. Was really badass when it clicked who the dude on the cover of the book is and really adds to why people in the book find him intimidating if not downright terrifying. For the curious it's the book cover from on of my recent posts.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mustang posted:

Finished Gene Wolfe's Shadow of the Torturer and loved it. First time I've finished a book in a few days in years probably. Was really badass when it clicked who the dude on the cover of the book is and really adds to why people in the book find him intimidating if not downright terrifying. For the curious it's the book cover from on of my recent posts.

Gotta get those Japanese Covers

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TLM3101 posted:

[fake edit]: I went back and checked Wikipedia and you're probably remembering Smeds in the Silver Spike.

Found it. Croaker in the Black Company, page 284/320 in the version I have:

They sent Goblin to waken me. I was my usual charming morning self, threatening blood feud with anyone fool enough to disturb my dreams. Not that they didn’t deserve disturbing. They were foul. I was doing unspeakable things with a couple of girls who could not have been more than twelve, and making them love it. It’s disgusting, the shadows that lurk in the mind.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I liked Shards of Earth a lot, but if they've arrived in the Essiel worlds and it's still not grabbing you it might not ever.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I had a really hard time with it up until the last 40% or so, but it grew on me. It's definitely a slower read than the Children books. I'm about 20% into book 2 now.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

On the second book of the latest Ken MacLeod (Lightspeed) trilogy, I'd recommend the series to anyone who felt he kinda dropped off after the Fall Revolution books - interesting premise too

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

StumblyWumbly posted:

Yeah, player of games is neat but it doesn't have much actual culture stuff going on, and I think people suggest it as an entry point because of that. I don't remember it being overly moralistic in the sense of people learning Important Lessons or anything, but there's a lot (which you've already seen) about this one culture guy (who is himself a weirdo by Culture standards) just seeing people being jerks and not getting it.

There's one overarching culture question it gets into, particularly at the end: What is even the point of people in the AI driven society? In player of games, it becomes clear that the AIs wanted Jerk City to fall apart, so they picked one person out of their unthinkably huge society, and manipulated and managed him over the course of years into knocking that society apart. Any anxiety or personal growth was just some friction in this larger machine, which the main character doesn't really care about, he was just there to play a game.

Huh I only actually got just now that he is a game piece and the player of games is actually the culture itself and the game he cheats on is a metaphor for the entire book

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sebmojo posted:

Huh I only actually got just now that he is a game piece and the player of games is actually the culture itself and the game he cheats on is a metaphor for the entire book

quote:

What is even the point of people in the AI driven society?

That's actually answered in Use of Weapons. The strategic decisions moving Zakalwe and his handler around aren't being made entirely by Minds. Out of, I'm vague on the numbers but this is close, 17 trillion human-standard people in the Culture, about a dozen can make strategic forecasts with a higher success rate than any Mind. Maybe it's still strictly utilitarian on the part of the Minds, where keeping 17 trillion pets is worth the effort to get the dozen prodigies, but I hold that it means we are still valued. After all, they can't know in advance which dozen in each generation it will be.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Also, they both (usually) legitimately like humans, and hold them to have moral worth, so.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Gaius Marius posted:

If you like this kind of thing I recommend The Zen Gun which I just finished. Very much in the style of "a dozen-odd brilliant ideas crammed into a tiny book". The first chapter alone has a galactic empire that extracts tribute by abducting writers and artists to supplement its own cultural decay; military space cruisers that are also nonstop drug parties (because pleasure is considered a basic human right); and robots who've been on strike for 100 years to gain recognition as sentient beings.

In some ways it feels like a parody of the Culture novels despite being written before them.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

0 rows returned posted:

so ive been reading the black company books… the first three are pretty good but… which wasnt hinted at before at all
Authors gotta make a living, but it really feels like he told a story perfectly in the first 3 books then needed to pump more out and didn’t know where to go.

Chairman Capone posted:

This is a really fun collection. Really all of Martin’s space operas are great. Highly recommend Dying of the Light and Windhaven also.

Tuf Voyaging is great, I just bought it and read it for the first time since I think middle school. I remembered it being light an amusing, but is it? I’m till not sure and I finished it a few hours ago. It’s billed as a novel though! I really miss that “fix-up” style when sci-fi was sold as short stories then incorporated into novels rather than sold as trilogies that keep authors in the same style for a decade.

I grew up reading my father’s voluminous sci-fi magazine* and paperback collection collection, and a most of my favorites were in the same fix-up form as Tuf Voyaging, stories sold one-at-a-time to magazines then pieced together into a novel. The Stainless Steel Rat and other Harrison stuff, Vance, Lieber, v on Vogt, Riverworld, early (good) Niven and a bunch of others stuff I can’t think of since it’s been 30 years.

It’s basically a predecessor of pretentious TV; shorter satisfying stories that are part of the larger arc of the novel proper.

Just realized what it was about Aetheria by goon S. Hutson Blount that made me SO HAPPY; despite not actually being a fix-up and being contemporary in style the rhythm is that of a fix-up.

*Astounding/Analog editor John Campbell, well known as a racist that got retroactively blamed for among others Heinlein’s racist fix-up novels was such an AMAZING sucker, everybody knows about Dianetics but his multiyear plugging of the reactionless Dean Drive (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_drive) was unbelievable even to 12-yo me.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

ulmont posted:

Found it. Croaker in the Black Company, page 284/320 in the version I have:

Welp! I had completely scrubbed that from my mind! And now I'm going to do it again. Augh.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

TLM3101 posted:

Welp! I had completely scrubbed that from my mind! And now I'm going to do it again. Augh.

It's worth keeping in your mind, because it's one of a few times in Black Company where Croaker is telling the reader that the reality of the Company is different from the text we're reading. Remember, these books are part of their historical records, and the chroniclers are unreliable: they omit some important details, embellish others, probably straight-up lie about some. Croaker has these occasional moments where he wants to let the reader know, "Hey, these people I'm doing my best to portray in a positive light? There's a reason they're in the Black Company, and it's probably not a great reason."

Meanwhile, turns out I had Dark Eden in my Kobo already from god knows when, and it was a quick read, so after it being recommended re: alien ecosystem books I knocked that out over the weekend. I am... Conflicted, on this one.

The pitch for the setting is great: a tiny technologically-regressed human society trapped on an alien world in permanent darkness, which has developed a bioluminescent ecosystem that is in the process of terraforming an ice world from within. But because it's all told from the first-person perspectives of natives who don't know anything is unusual about their environment, we get precious few details about what any of this actually looks like, or how it's weird and different from Earth norms. And the strangeness of the world ultimately doesn't matter, because it's actually a story about The Most Incestuous Society Possible (all 500+ peoplee are descended from the same man and woman) and the consequences of a terrifyingly small gene pool. It could have taken place anywhere as long as the people involved were sufficiently isolated.

I am admittedly kind of a prose snob, so take this with a grain of salt because I'm probably being overly critical, but man, for a veteran social worker and "manager of a children and families social work team for ten years," Beckett seems to have no idea how to write dialogue for kids and teens, which is kind of a problem when nearly the entire cast is 15 or less. You could argue that it's because every character is borderline-to-actually-intellectually-disabled thanks to 160 years of turbo-incest, but if that was the intent, it reads less like that and more like mediocre YA dialogue / internal monologues.

All that said, it's a quick read and there are some neat SF ideas in there.

Started on The Night Lands tonight and, uh, wow. Yeah, I can see why someone might fall in love with this story but decide to write it from scratch. This is very likely going to defeat me in the original version, but if it does I'll give Stoddard's rewrite a shot. I'm convinced that the devs of Cultist Simulator and Book of Hours read this, and if they haven't, they need to.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Gaius Marius posted:

Gotta get those Japanese Covers

Is that "Terminus Est" in katakana? Awesome!

Kestral posted:

Started on The Night Lands tonight and, uh, wow. Yeah, I can see why someone might fall in love with this story but decide to write it from scratch. This is very likely going to defeat me in the original version, but if it does I'll give Stoddard's rewrite a shot. I'm convinced that the devs of Cultist Simulator and Book of Hours read this, and if they haven't, they need to.

Yeah, once you get into the rhythm of the prose it's great, but if you can't...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FPyat posted:

Someone asked me if Lem’s Memoirs of a Space Traveller was the book that inspired Tarkovsky’s Solaris. So close and yet so far…
this is incredible because Memoirs is like, one of the much more comedic of Lem's books too

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Sailor Viy posted:

If you like this kind of thing I recommend The Zen Gun which I just finished. Very much in the style of "a dozen-odd brilliant ideas crammed into a tiny book". The first chapter alone has a galactic empire that extracts tribute by abducting writers and artists to supplement its own cultural decay; military space cruisers that are also nonstop drug parties (because pleasure is considered a basic human right); and robots who've been on strike for 100 years to gain recognition as sentient beings.

Oh, it's by Barry Bailey, that explains that.

Runcible Cat posted:

2 & 5 are the weakest, with 8 a probable runner-up, but yeah 3 is amazing, 4 is hilarious and appalling picaresque with a protagonist who may or may not be learning to be a better person than Cugel by the end, 6/7 are my favourites because Shabble. And Codlugarhia. And Empress Justina. And terrifying therapists lurking underground. And my unholy love of footnotes.

Oh, and 9 and 10 are both great too. Dorgis! The demon Jocasta and its previous career! Embarrassing sisters joining Darwinist cults!

Chronicles of an Age of Darkness is terribly even but the best bits are amazing, really some of the best sword and sorcery around, as undisciplined as it's brilliant. Even the weakest aren't bad, just not Cook pushing himself. And can I be the only person in the world who enjoyed The Wormlord and the Werewolf? Here's my favourite description of them: https://web.archive.org/web/20150926102726/http://eithin.com/cirw/2010/02/17/chronicles-of-an-age-of-darkness/

fez_machine posted:

Hugh Cook's self-published work is also worth checking out. To Find and Wake the Dreamer is perhaps the best response to 9/11 and The War On Terror that Fantasy produced. Ignore the copy that says how edgy the book is and how triggered you'll get. The book is fine, it just deals with some tough subject matter. Cook was very very bad at selling himself.

https://www.lulu.com/shop/hugh-cook/to-find-and-wake-the-dreamer/ebook/product-1m4jyn77.html?page=1&pageSize=4

I'm surprised his stuff's still available. He was an awful salesman, though, makes the book sound precisely on the nose and unimaginative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Safety Biscuits posted:

I'm surprised his stuff's still available. He was an awful salesman, though, makes the book sound precisely on the nose and unimaginative.

I think it's on Lulu only out of inertia now; god alone knows where any money goes to.

And he was terrible with titles too, viz his W&W obsession, though I admit I can't think of any better ones.