Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
If you're like me and missed out on the 4k supercop, it looks like a normal edition is coming out in mid January. Amazon has a listing for it but I'm sure it's up elsewhere too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
It's on sale from 88 Films right now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
anybody tried out those new Janus Contemporary releases?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

https://twitter.com/SeverinFilms/status/1721950084441751712

They're gonna leave a Cemetery Man announcement for last, right? Why ya gotta string me along? :saddowns:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Gripweed posted:

anybody tried out those new Janus Contemporary releases?

I will next week with the release of Godland

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Seriously, I have bought The Church easily six or seven times. VHS, DVD multiple times, I have it on Blu-ray like three or four times, I can't remember. The only movies I've bought more copies of are Halloween and Black Christmas. What I'm saying is, I'll be buying that UHD.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
They're probably gonna release a stupid expensive LE of Cemetery Man with a 3D skull puzzle and the syringe from the chemical castration scene and you better believe I'll be buying that dumb poo poo.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I'd definitely buy a stuffed Gnaghi if that were too happen.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Origami Dali posted:

They're probably gonna release a stupid expensive LE of Cemetery Man with a 3D skull puzzle and the syringe from the chemical castration scene and you better believe I'll be buying that dumb poo poo.

I recently found the highlighter Syringe that came with the Anchor Bay DVD release of Re-Animator.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Thanks, picked it up!

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Best Buy just canceled and refunded my Lawrence of Arabia 4K steelbook 😢

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

SeductiveReasoning posted:

Best Buy just canceled and refunded my Lawrence of Arabia 4K steelbook 😢

The reprint made them fairly easy to get again, hopefully you should be OK before people start attempting to scalp it again

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Kingtheninja posted:

If you're like me and missed out on the 4k supercop, it looks like a normal edition is coming out in mid January. Amazon has a listing for it but I'm sure it's up elsewhere too.

Anytime someone mentions that movie I get the reading from Nick Frost in Hot Fuzz, "meet the cop....who can't be stopped"

And then I get the urge to just open palm slam Hot Fuzz into the blu ray player and lose more of my limited time on earth watching movies

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

Anytime someone mentions that movie I get the reading from Nick Frost in Hot Fuzz, "meet the cop....who can't be stopped"

And then I get the urge to just open palm slam Hot Fuzz into the blu ray player and lose more of my limited time on earth watching movies

Hahaha I do this too! Every time! Also hot Fuzz is super rewatch able.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Origami Dali posted:

I was planning to hit the Criterion sale until you posted this, 'cause you're probably right. Gotta save up.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/severinfilms/status/1722314358653698368?s=46

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I just watched that a couple weeks ago and thought it was a blast, blind buy with confidence!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Umbrella is going all out on their Talk To Me release. Never saw it, so no idea if it's any good, but if anyone wants a hand in their blu-ray shelf, here's your chance.

Also at long last, the Beeb is putting out Blackadder.

Unfortunately, it won't have the pilot episode. gently caress's sake.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Talk To Me is great. It’s relatively unique for modern horror, it’s genuinely unsettling at times, and the cast all give pretty solid performances.

It is extremely brutal in unexpected ways though, I wouldn’t recommend it if you get squeamish with violence.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

yeah its a very mean horror movie, but definitely why it stands out so much.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Very glad I didn't blind buy that. Maybe the first thirty minutes were good but after that it just spun its wheels then ended on a wet fart.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Ready for this - are these going to be pre-orders, or available on Black Friday, or???

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
If like last year, pre-order on BF for shipping in the next week or two after. That was how it went with Four Flies on Grey Velvet.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Good enough. I'll be ready.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Big Mac posted:

Ready for this - are these going to be pre-orders, or available on Black Friday, or???

Up for order on 11/24

Please don't be dumb expensive. I think the Arrow Hellraiser box set was $73 shipped, I'm hoping this is much less.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

their last big LE set was The Last Horror Film and that was $73 shipped. I dont think this'll be as limited as that, but I'm not expecting $50 minimum for Cemetary Man.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

Up for order on 11/24

Please don't be dumb expensive. I think the Arrow Hellraiser box set was $73 shipped, I'm hoping this is much less.

It'll probably be around 40 marked to like 35, or something

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Their bundles for Nov are usually around 200 for just discs I think

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i probably don't have to post this, but please, someone remind this thread about cemetery gates going on sale whenever it does! that's holiday time and i'll be crazy busy but HAVE to buy that.

thanks!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Talk to Me was good, definitely worth a watch. Not sure it warrants a big spend on a special edition unless you really want the hand.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
There's a much better hand directly from the A24 shop.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

To be honest, I'm more excited about Blackadder and I'm bummed out that it's missing the first episode.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TheMopeSquad posted:

There's a much better hand directly from the A24 shop.

https://shop.a24films.com/products/talk-to-me-party-hand

https://shop.umbrellaent.com.au/pro...rds-poster-2023

So yeah your choice is $110 either way if you want hand. From A24 you just get hand; from Umbrella you get hand, film (in 4K and in Bluray), a 48 page book, 8 artcards and a poster

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
The A24 one is superior because you can smoke weed out of it

or for the authentic Talk to Me experience, smoke salvia

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

OK, I picked up the discounted Christmas Story 4K. It will replace my Steelbook Blu-Ray copy.

Now sometimes, it's pretty obvious that I'm gonna keep the steelbook and swap discs.

But these are both pretty mid-looking cases

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Christmas-Story-4K-Blu-ray/323012/

vs

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Christmas-Story-Blu-ray/57333/

I got the steelbook for like $10 on sale, so I was never particularly in love w/ the art.

Tell me, Physical Media nerds: which is the least worse of the two?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
When it's a close call I always just go with the steelbook because for me a lot of the reason I like steelbooks is the way the spine looks and how it feels when I pull it off the shelf, the heftiness of it. So unless the art on the steelbook is garbage compared to the standard edition, I go steelbook.

Just based on art alone though, I'd have to go with the standard edition art. I don't remember the movie all that well, how much does that cowboy outfit that's on the steelbook really feature? Doesn't he only wear that for like one scene?

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 9, 2023

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I went with the standard case on A Christmas Story.

For me it comes down to 1. is this a series and do I have previous entries already as a standard/steelbook? I'll go with whatever I have, but... 2. if its the first entry of a potential series and I REALLY liked the movie then I may take a stronger look at the steelbook, but... 3. Is this a one-off? I'll lean steel unless the art sucks then I'll not pay the usual $10-$15 extra for a steel and get a standard. Even if the art sucks on the standard I'll look at it most a handful of times until it lives on my shelf until I pull it out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Well keep in mind though that this is a situation where they already have the steelbook, they're just trying to decide whether or not to keep using it and just swap the UHD in for the blu ray. The money is already spent.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'd ditch the steel for the standard. I tried the 4K in a blu-ray steel once and for some reason it made my brain itch.

Also the cowboy outfit is like 2 scenes total in the movie and they're fantasies of Ralph about what he'd do with the Red Ryder BB Gun (stop a bunch of thieves in a shoot-out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Honestly, that helped. And I’m keeping the standard.

Just watched the Fargo UHD tonight. Movie is still insanely good, and the picture was perfect!