Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Eiba posted:

"You should live without regrets," is a very interesting line coming from someone who has a small child they seemingly abandoned. Generously, he does regret choosing duty over his kid, and doesn't want Kuma to suffer in the same way.

dragons being slandered enough about this chapter but to add to the pile, leaving luffy is him living without regret.
Full Ging here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Whitebeard:

Waffleman_ posted:

One Piece is good

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

mabels big day posted:

dragons being slandered enough about this chapter but to add to the pile, leaving luffy is him living without regret.
Full Ging here

Maybe Garp was actually a really great parent the first time around and the *leave them in the woods with bandits* style was a new tack he was taking after Dragon went Revolutionary.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Timeline indicates that Dragon had Luffy while he was starting to build his reputation and probably figured that it was for the best if Luffy wasn't seen running around with Public Enemy Number One.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Eiba posted:

There's something more to this sun and moon sensitivity. It feels like there's a parallel between that kind of elemental weakness and Devil Fruits having the sea as their weakness. I wonder if it was the opposite curse given to two different waring factions in the Void Century or something, considering the Celestial Dragons (heaven themed, live up high) were fighting the people whose dreams created devil fruits. Perhaps they were linked to the sea somehow and cursed to be unable to live in the sea, and the Celestial Dragons were cursed to be unable to live in the sun. Wild speculation, I know, but it feels significant!

... the sun god nika?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
This chapter made me sad.

Found family again. It's like it's a theme or something.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

watch Kuma give the terminal disease to that shithead king.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I guess Bonney being part-CD is why Blackbeard thought he'd be able to trade her for a ship, huh

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

I guess Bonney being part-CD is why Blackbeard thought he'd be able to trade her for a ship, huh

You'd get a lot more for a CD, but more likely you'd get dead. If he knew he'd probably have just left her alone, not worth the hassle.

Also hopefully if he'd of known he wouldn't have asked her to be his "woman".

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

bobjr posted:

watch Kuma give the terminal disease to that shithead king.

oh man that would be so good

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

good ch

we know bonney has been to egghead Island before so a deal with vegapunk seems right. the world nobles only breed among themselves, blue blood, blue disease, etc. kumas body/blood can resist the disease I guess. probably why the WG wants her. that's all I got.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
so we know a couple of things:
- kuma is labeled a tyrant
- kuma becomes the king of sorbet kingdom
- bonney poses as the queen of sorbet kingdom after kumas rule

so my hunch is:
kuma disposes of the king (disease or otherwise). my bet, however, is that the king kills a LOT of people before kuma disposes of him. this gives the celestial dragons the excuse to label him as a tyrant king. all of those houses burning? blamed on kuma. this is propaganda that hurts the revolutionary army and makes the celesial dragons rule seem better in comparison.
kuma is no longer able to serve as king, so bonney fakes being queen to ensure that the people still living there are okay. she uses this disguise later on. that or one of the old people becomes queen and bonney just impersonates her.

that or, i think this might be really interesting too: kuma actually goes into a rage and betrays his people as he kills the returning king. he is so, so, so upset with himself that he repents by turning into a cyborg.

one last possibility is kuma takes bonneys disease and spreads it out among the old people, who are willing to die for him/her. this cures bonney but dooms the elderly to their death.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
To people asking why Kuma didn't teleport to save Ginny - remember that he doesn't teleport in the first place. He sends himself and others flying very fast and very high but not higher than the red line. Presumably he's on his way to Egghead now but in order to do so he had to smack into the red line and climb it, and as others mentioned even though Kuma was taking the shortest conceivable route, in the brief amount of time it took he still got Akainu'd pretty loving hard. Given what we know about Iva, Dragon, and Kuma I'm sure they discussed all possible rescue plans extensively and realized it was simply hopeless.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

anime was right posted:

so we know a couple of things:
- kuma is labeled a tyrant
- kuma becomes the king of sorbet kingdom
- bonney poses as the queen of sorbet kingdom after kumas rule

so my hunch is:
kuma disposes of the king (disease or otherwise). my bet, however, is that the king kills a LOT of people before kuma disposes of him. this gives the celestial dragons the excuse to label him as a tyrant king. all of those houses burning? blamed on kuma. this is propaganda that hurts the revolutionary army and makes the celesial dragons rule seem better in comparison.
kuma is no longer able to serve as king, so bonney fakes being queen to ensure that the people still living there are okay. she uses this disguise later on. that or one of the old people becomes queen and bonney just impersonates her.

that or, i think this might be really interesting too: kuma actually goes into a rage and betrays his people as he kills the returning king. he is so, so, so upset with himself that he repents by turning into a cyborg.

one last possibility is kuma takes bonneys disease and spreads it out among the old people, who are willing to die for him/her. this cures bonney but dooms the elderly to their death.

So I have one more theory to add to yours: the CDs have punished Sorbet Kingdom for some as of yet unknown reason. The punishment is to require of them a much higher tribute than normal. The king has been painted as heartless and cruel but this is all from secondhand accounts, he might actually be desperate to meet the tribute by any means necessary, with the extermination of the entire island hanging over his head. Kuma will depose him and then find himself no better equipped to solve the issue of the unfair tributes, leaving him no choice but to be seen as a Tyrant to keep everyone alive.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Welp, the Kuma's agony marathon somehow manages to get worse and even more bleak in its implications. I wonder how many more chapters of barrel proof despair we have to get through. This one has also made some prior events in the story way more sinister and disturbing.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

drat, one of the first things Bonney does in the series is tell Zoro to ignore the dude that got shot for protesting his fiance being turned into a CD's slave wife

kinda cold, Bonney! Kuma would be disappointed in you.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

anime was right posted:

luffy defeated arlong with an axe-themed move that started high and landed on his neck, destroying all of arlong park with it. luffy's supposed to destroy fishman island, which would involve destroying mary geoise from above. HMM.

actually, holy poo poo. imagine if like all the subjugation of fishman was resolved with luffy sending imu all the way to the bottom of the ocean.

Claiming the One Piece will sink the red line, and fishman island will be collateral damage

Ronnz
Mar 6, 2010
Some people on Reddit pointed out that Sapphires get associated with Saturn which.. yeah, could mean even a whole nother level of hosed up.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
coworker pointed out that Kuma asked the strawhats where they want to go. My heart

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oddium posted:

the art is rough because oda was crying the whole time he was making this chapter

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Arist posted:

Saw someone point out that apparently Bonney has never seen Gear 5 yet, which given that she wanted to go to sky islands to see Nika is... wow

There was a comment by Bonney earlier on that she and the other Supernovas saw Luffy's new wanted poster and wondered why the heck his hair turned white like that, and Luffy replies "that's when I feel the most free".

I think it's intentional that Luffy doesn't know that's his Nika form yet which brilliantly dovetails into Bonney not recognizing it either. From what I can tell, Kuma never explained what Nika looks like, just that he's associated with the sun and freedom and music/dancing. It's going to be super cathartic when Bonney realizes that Luffy is the Nika savior figure she's been looking for.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Guess there’s now also the possibility that Shanks came into being in the same way that Bonney did :(

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Didn’t shanks materialize in a treasure chest like uta? They might be grown or just like spontaneously pop out as devil fruits do

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Lpzie posted:

we know bonney has been to egghead Island before so a deal with vegapunk seems right. the world nobles only breed among themselves, blue blood, blue disease, etc. kumas body/blood can resist the disease I guess. probably why the WG wants her. that's all I got.

Considering; MBD pointed out that it's certainly A Thing that there's the one devil fruit that turns you into a blue scaled dragon and now there's a disease that turns you into a scaly blue (dead) person.

Vegapunk was studying the former, and we know he was close friends with someone whose daughter had the latter.

What if Vegapunk's copy dragon fruit being pink wasn't a failure just for the comedy of it - what if he needed it to be blue for very specific reasons?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bleck posted:

Considering; MBD pointed out that it's certainly A Thing that there's the one devil fruit that turns you into a blue scaled dragon and now there's a disease that turns you into a scaly blue (dead) person.

Vegapunk was studying the former, and we know he was close friends with someone whose daughter had the latter.

What if Vegapunk's copy dragon fruit being pink wasn't a failure just for the comedy of it - what if he needed it to be blue for very specific reasons?

ODAAAAAAA

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

oddium posted:

the art is rough because oda was crying the whole time he was making this chapter

He said in an early sbs that he makes all the faces his characters do, no wonder.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Oh that's a good point Bleck. Didn't even consider the blue scale / dragon aspect. A lot of things Oda can do here it seems.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm begging you Oda, stop doing it again. I don't think I can take the next level of ever more depressing backstories for characters.

I hope we at least end this with Kuma getting to hear the drums of liberation.

No Wave posted:

Some of the supernovas (apoo, hawkins, x drake) fit so awkwardly with the overall narrative that I believe it. But I do imagine a lot of them were designs that he'd had around and was looking for a place to use.

I think he came up with a bunch of cool new dudes for his editor, and then went and merged future characters with all of them. Which is why some Supernovas get way more page time, because they were merged with bigger characters. Urouge not doing anything yet is most likely because whichever plot he got tied into doesn't come back until Enel does.

Funky Valentine posted:

Timeline indicates that Dragon had Luffy while he was starting to build his reputation and probably figured that it was for the best if Luffy wasn't seen running around with Public Enemy Number One.

Garp more or less says as much at Marineford. All things considered, even if Garp treated Dragon the same way he treated Luffy, leaving baby Luffy with Garp is all but certainly the safest possible action for Dragon.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
imho leaving your infant son with your grandpa so you can be an abolitionist, saving thousands of other little kids who got the kind of life Kuma had where his dad died for singing too loud, is maybe not the worst thing in the world.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Scholtz posted:

Wait have we seen a devil fruit user die by drowning yet?

I think the only Devil Fruit users we've seen get killed onscreen in general are Rosinante, Whitebeard, Ace, Monet, Kanjuro, and Orochi, right?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Does Cesar Clown's pet salamander goo thing count

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Endorph posted:

I think the only Devil Fruit users we've seen get killed onscreen in general are Rosinante, Whitebeard, Ace, Monet, Kanjuro, and Orochi, right?

Luffy died (but then he got better)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

I absolutely had to look this up, but you forgot... uh... Toki

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

What an insane pair to introduce together. One born a slave who wanted to end Imu one born a celestial dragon who wanted to become Imu.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Bisorocchi....

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/sagaftra/status/1722441050651078912?s=20

The best part of this is that the Netflix cast is finally Unleashed

Please god tell me about making the show

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I could have swore I saw Kuma with some marks on his face at one point, but I’m not sure anymore. And I’m not thinking of post cyborg tortured Kuma either (I don’t think)

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Endorph posted:

Enel died too. And then he got better.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

No Wave posted:

What an insane pair to introduce together. One born a slave who wanted to end Imu one born a celestial dragon who wanted to become Imu.

This is also the chapter where we meet the Elder Stars and Luffy destroys Bellamy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Tekne posted:

Welp, the Kuma's agony marathon somehow manages to get worse and even more bleak in its implications. I wonder how many more chapters of barrel proof despair we have to get through. This one has also made some prior events in the story way more sinister and disturbing.

I mean, we already know what the Celestial Dragons are capable of ever since Saobody, which is where they were first introduced and also with the Boa sisters' backstory. This latest chapter just made it more explicit.