Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

I think it will really depend on whether or not he hurts Taiga in the fight since the block happened after hurting his brother.

The explanation of why there's an evil Roboco was pretty funny. As well as "knee prism stone"

Roboco’s storyline was lit from start to end.

MMA: I assume he’s going to be disqualified and hurting the guy.

Undead: I can honestly say sitting on the sun wasn’t what I expected.

Sakamoto: very cool twist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
UNDEAD UNLUCK: Lmao, Andy sitting on the sun and blocking Master Rules with his rear end soul is sick. The chapter also provided a nice setup for Negators vs. Master Rules war. And something like that was needed, since in previous loop basically all conflict stemmed from the issues between Negators and Fuuko solved them all already.

Kagurabachi: Ok, this one was quite cool actually. I like the trope of villain just cleaning the house and cutting to the chase. RIP Daruma bomb guy. That was hosed up way to go.

MamaYuyu: So we have an introduction of the main villain and main conflict. Neat. I'm also liking Minerva more and more ,with how she just constantly proves that she is a good gal, despite being technically a demon lord(lady). I predict that the Hero who is supposed to slay her will be a major rear end in a top hat.

My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!: Uh, so this went there. Ok. :stare:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Roboco’s storyline was lit from start to end.

MMA: I assume he’s going to be disqualified and hurting the guy.

Undead: I can honestly say sitting on the sun wasn’t what I expected.

Sakamoto: very cool twist!

apparently downward elbow strikes are illegal under mma rules.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

MMA is really good. Red Blue is another really good punchman manga that's around chapter 80 or so but the fan translation is progressing really slowly, hope they get a chance to pick up the pace because I'd love to read more.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jesus christ, finished Chapter 131 of UU, the end of the loop, and SJ's servers died or something and I can't keep reading. I'm so pissed right now lmao

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 6, 2023

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'm in a similar boat, I went to go reread Dr Stone after the new chapter came out today.

Website says it's in maintenance mode right now. Just gotta hunker down and wait I guess.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Arist posted:

Jesus christ, finished Chapter 131 of UU, the end of the loop, and SJ's servers died or something and I can't keep reading. I'm so pissed right now lmao

you're in for a ride

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Only on chapter 77 of Undead Unluck, but things have really begun to kick off. I especially like how my expectations were subverted wrt negater powers, at first I thought it was kinda lame how there were three characters in a row whose powers manifested in an almost comically tragic way, but then with the artist who finds the pen and effectively becomes erased from existence it turns out that it’s literally because God likes seeing children suffer when he turns them Negators at the worst possible time and gaslight them into thinking they murdered their friends and family, when really its God.

Which, you know, is going to be real funny eventually when he gets Unlucked to death, because it’s just the “well well well, if it isn’t the consequences of my actions” meme brought to life.

poo poo rips, definitely behind Sakamoto Days and post-Wano One Piece for my favorite Jump series rn. Oh, and I guess Marrigetoxin and Dandadan if Jump+ counts?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Ranger Reject's story jumped the shark many chapters ago but at least the author is still having fun.

I'm a few chapters behind, looks like I got some catching up to do.

Edit: lmao what the gently caress is this series (positive)

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 6, 2023

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mamayuyu: I think I'm done with this. It's been 9 chapters and the plot just keeps happening around or at Corleo. It keeps telling us he's meant to be a hero without ever showing a good reason for the reader to root for him as the main character. This was better off as a one-shot.

And maybe it's just me, but it kinda feels weird about women? Like his mother figure being a 38-year old demon lord but looking like a pre-teen, who gets worfed right off the bat. Or the grown woman becoming emotionally-dependent on Corleo even though she's 24-years old. Or the idol demon emphasizing she's older by introducing herself by saying she's 20.

Kagurabachi: For the love of god, do something, anything, to make your main character interesting. Stories about revenge usually have the main character be emotionally hosed up, even if they appear placid on the outside. They're like a powder keg ready to explode with the right spark, and that's usually when confronted with their target. The MC of Kagurabachi just got told that two of his father's swords, and his killers by extension, are within reach in about a month and he doesn't even react. Hell, one of the sword wielders just outright sought him out; the MC should be having a crazy grin right now or something.

MMA: As someone who skims the Ippo thread, it's really funny how Nito's superpowered mode is unlocked through a concussion. The main conflict with his brother having all these layers makes for some very good drama, too. And I know someone was worried that Nao wouldn't get any fights, but the best friend character's the one who seems superfluous at the moment.

Kill Blue: Ogami's hitman partner is cool with how he goes above and beyond to help Ogami out. If it were a lesser series, it'd make a joke about how badly he looks in drag, so it's nice to see that he's rocking the clothes. And yeah, it is weird just how not-weird Noren's mom is. Noren herself doesn't act like there's anything wrong either, so maybe it's just her dad who's a huge weirdo for wanting her to get engaged so young?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, just read Chapter 141 of Undead Unluck, which is the chapter that ends with Fuuko cutting a promo to challenge Void

This manga loving rules, easily one of my new favorites

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I'm kinda admiring your self-control to read Undead Unluck in chunks, because once I got over the initial hump of early chapters, I devoured the whole manga in a day. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

I'm kinda admiring your self-control to read Undead Unluck in chunks, because once I got over the initial hump of early chapters, I devoured the whole manga in a day. :v:

That is just because you awoke to your Negator ability, Unrestraint.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

this final (?) act of undead unluck being fuuko's loop speedrun any% is such top-tier stuff, i can't get enough of it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lt. Lizard posted:

Don't forget Viz has a 100 chapter limit even paying the $2.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Undead Unluck Chapter 133: well gently caress. gently caress. Cant say when I started reading this and we got to the reveal that God is real and a dick that we’d actually see Ragnarok happen and Fuuka would the sole survivor. Or that she’d take center stage, not that I’m complaining though since I’m vibing with “still nice but definitely seen some poo poo” timeskip Fuuka.

poo poo rules, said it before but I’ll say it again, one of the biggest turnarounds in quality I’ve seen in a Jump series.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just caught up with UU a minute ago and hoooooly poo poo, this series rules

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The SJ app and Mangaplus just added Dogsred to their libraries. It's a hockey manga by the guy who did Golden Kamuy.

11 chapters so far, and it might just fill the sports manga void in my life.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Alacron posted:

The SJ app and Mangaplus just added Dogsred to their libraries. It's a hockey manga by the guy who did Golden Kamuy.

11 chapters so far, and it might just fill the sports manga void in my life.

Look into Medalist if you haven't already. It's up to nine volumes.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://x.com/WSJ_manga/status/1722119921596088615?s=20

Hey, it avoided the U20 club!

Isra the Great
Apr 5, 2009

A pleasure to meet you, my good bro.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here hopes MMA lasts.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I did not read a single chapter of ice head gil because the main characters design is so offputtingly generic shounen protagonist, so I am glad he is going away. Begone!!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The manga was pretty generic. I was expecting an axe soon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know if it got better but I dropped it after a couple of chapters just because it wasn't doing anything interesting and was just a Demon Slayer copycat.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I didn’t read a single chapter because the title is very dumb.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I gave up after chapter 3, and that was 3 too many.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I don't know if it got better but I dropped it after a couple of chapters just because it wasn't doing anything interesting and was just a Demon Slayer copycat.

It never did. It just speedran the plot. Gil never had any sort of development, he got a super-power that allowed him to use water and just... spun his axe some more. His dad got possessed by an evil spirit and became the final villain. One dude who looked like a member of Buggy the Clown's crew got killed... I think? And that's it. It's the worst SJ new series in a long time, in large part because it's not even funnily bad.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I gave it more chapters than I should've, but it was definitely boring. I was waiting for it to find itself I guess, but it never did.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here hopes MMA lasts.

It doesn't feel like it's close to being cancelled to me. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see any of the newer 3 go before MMA does.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

It came off more like Seven Deadly Sins copycat than a Demon Slayer copycat.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Dogsred is awesome and about Hockey, the best sport. Go read it now.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I forgot how good noda is at depicting prodigious idiots

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I love Rou already, he's so good.

I really need to catch up on Golden Kamuy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Flair posted:

It came off more like Seven Deadly Sins copycat than a Demon Slayer copycat.

See, I saw some early One Piece in the first few chapters. Only, you know. Crap.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
Series like Gil are always fascinating since a lot of times you see the plot speed runs on what the author thinks would have been important moments. Like the bad king plot. You know the author wanted to drip this out over a long series to where the reveal the king was not on Gil's side would have been a huge twist and then a big emotional redemption at the end. Another is Gil's water power up which would have been a big thing.

Course none of this will come to pass like the author wanted because I still couldn't tell you what the actual driving force of this manga plot was suppose to be, only a list of plot points.

Vise the Stompy fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 9, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Every cancelled WSJ manga makes me sad, because you always know there's an author despairing over all their work and ideas coming to nothing, their one (well, sometimes there's a couple) big chance at success disappearing. Back to the manga assistant mines.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Didn't ever touch this one but it didn't give me particularly good vibes. In some cases it's probably better to just cut things off and come back another time. We've seen several authors with cancelled series cycle back in, at least.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

Every cancelled WSJ manga makes me sad, because you always know there's an author despairing over all their work and ideas coming to nothing, their one (well, sometimes there's a couple) big chance at success disappearing. Back to the manga assistant mines.

I remember the Umaru-chan author writing about this since he had a few runs before hitting it big with Umaru-chan that got axed. It was pretty cool that his famiky was super supportive of his dream. Fun fact, the hoodie that Umaru wears is based on his sister's pet hamster that she asked be put in the comic.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Whenever one of my friends starts getting into multiple Manga series I always recommend they watch or read bakuman to get a (relatively) decent idea of the industry and how crazy it can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Jump aren't the only publisher, and getting in even for a while is a big boost to your resume.