Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
What is a reputable place to buy cocoa powder and what should I buy? The last few times I've bought it, I've bought Rodelle or Cacao Barry, but I bought them from Amazon and these days I try to avoid buying foodstuffs from Amazon because I don't trust them. I would like to buy a reasonably large quantity -- the last time I bought it was a 2.2 pound bag of Cacao Barry -- and I would like to be good quality. I just made brownies and didn't realize until it was cocoa time that all I had in the house was Hershey's; it worked, but even in the package it looks just a little bit sad. My local groceries also carry Ghirardelli but I think I can probably do better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Huh. Didn’t know there was an actual distinction until today. Everything I see in Los Angeles is just chicken

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

Huh. Didn’t know there was an actual distinction until today. Everything I see in Los Angeles is just chicken

The other difference (the one you can verify in a store) is weight. I don't remember the specifics but I think the cutoff is 3.5 lbs - below that, it's a fryer, above that, it's a roaster. It's an inaccurate measure, but that's how I've always checked.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Out of curiosity I just looked at the whole chickens at my grocer and the ones they have are labeled as "young chickens" so I presume these are synonymous with "fryer chicken"?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Which makes sense I guess

I always use big 6lb chickens to fry and they end up a little too dark on the outside by the time the inside is up to a safe temp

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Idk if they even still exist in groceries anymore but your stew birds will be ex layers. I imagine they just get processed into other stuff now.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

guppy posted:

What is a reputable place to buy cocoa powder and what should I buy? The last few times I've bought it, I've bought Rodelle or Cacao Barry, but I bought them from Amazon and these days I try to avoid buying foodstuffs from Amazon because I don't trust them. I would like to buy a reasonably large quantity -- the last time I bought it was a 2.2 pound bag of Cacao Barry -- and I would like to be good quality. I just made brownies and didn't realize until it was cocoa time that all I had in the house was Hershey's; it worked, but even in the package it looks just a little bit sad. My local groceries also carry Ghirardelli but I think I can probably do better?

The Ghirardelli cocoa rouge is perfectly good natural cocoa.

If you are looking for a replacement for the Rodelle baking cocoa that is Dutch processed, the only one I have ever seen in a store is Droste, which is pretty good, but both not as good, and also usually super old and close to its expiry date. I assume a paper box with a picture of a nun on it tends to put people off.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Out of curiosity I just looked at the whole chickens at my grocer and the ones they have are labeled as "young chickens" so I presume these are synonymous with "fryer chicken"?
Depending on the store, that could be the opposite of a stewing hen. I see those around here sometimes. If you’re looking for one, I would start at a Hispanic market, but stewing hens are truly tough as hell

mystes
May 31, 2006

guppy posted:

apparently it all has lead anyway probably regardless of where you buy it

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

guppy posted:

Chefshop.com They have quality stuff in bulk for reasonable prices

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

The Ghirardelli cocoa rouge is perfectly good natural cocoa.

If you are looking for a replacement for the Rodelle baking cocoa that is Dutch processed, the only one I have ever seen in a store is Droste, which is pretty good, but both not as good, and also usually super old and close to its expiry date. I assume a paper box with a picture of a nun on it tends to put people off.

Not only is it a picture of a nun, it’s a nun holding a box of droste cocoa powder (and that box presumably has a nun holding a box of droste cocoa powder, etc).

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Eeyo posted:

Not only is it a picture of a nun, it’s a nun holding a box of droste cocoa powder (and that box presumably has a nun holding a box of droste cocoa powder, etc).

Nunception!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

mystes posted:

apparently it all has lead anyway probably regardless of where you buy it

And cadmium!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Soul Dentist posted:

And cadmium!

I have a bag of shichimi powder that has like 1 line in English on it, warning about lead, cadmium, and cobalt :v:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Annath posted:

I have a bag of shichimi powder that has like 1 line in English on it, warning about lead, cadmium, and cobalt :v:
Seaweed has small amounts of heavy metals and there isn't really anything that can be done about that but the levels in cocoa powder appear to be higher and also it's apparently a result of contamination during processing or shipping rather than the actual cocoa beans containing heavy metals so it's more frustrating

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

mystes posted:

Seaweed has small amounts of heavy metals and there isn't really anything that can be done about that but the levels in cocoa powder appear to be higher and also it's apparently a result of contamination during processing or shipping rather than the actual cocoa beans containing heavy metals so it's more frustrating

Interesting! I'm glad to know that it's expected, and that I (probably) didn't buy inferior spices.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
That reminds me of glyphosate in old fashioned oats, appearing not because it's used in growing them, but because adding it makes it easier to separate the oat from the hull during post processing.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Annath posted:

Interesting! I'm glad to know that it's expected, and that I (probably) didn't buy inferior spices.

The EU restriction is 0.60 mg/kg, not sure what it is in the US.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

guppy posted:

FWIW, I like the Hershey's Dark/Dutch process for about everything cocoa powder related. Regular Hershey's powder is garbo. I think Ghiradelli is a little overpriced, but still good.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I know its been a week but I finally made that chicken. Thanks goons for the spice suggestions, these are fire

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'm making lunch for some friends next week, at their home, and I need ideas for a starch.

The main will be miso glazed salmon, the vegetable will be broiled asparagus with balsamic vinegar reduction. Normally I'd do some sort of mildly seasoned rice, but I'd prefer to bring the raw ingredients to their house and prepare everything fresh. Rice, taking somewhat longer to cook than the other items, would not be ideal.

Any suggestions?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Leal posted:

I know its been a week but I finally made that chicken. Thanks goons for the spice suggestions, these are fire

Glad to hear it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Annath posted:

I'm making lunch for some friends next week, at their home, and I need ideas for a starch.

The main will be miso glazed salmon, the vegetable will be broiled asparagus with balsamic vinegar reduction. Normally I'd do some sort of mildly seasoned rice, but I'd prefer to bring the raw ingredients to their house and prepare everything fresh. Rice, taking somewhat longer to cook than the other items, would not be ideal.

Any suggestions?

Not tons of starches are gonna be faster to make vs rice imo. Maybe some Israeli couscous or spatzle.

Id just pre-roast some winter squash and heat, butter, mash and season there imo.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Annath posted:

Any suggestions?
There are a lot of potato-based sides that you could do ahead of time and reheat for serving, from humble mashed potatoes to fancy poo poo like pommes dauphinoise or pommes pavé.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I quite like winter squash, so I'll probably go with that. I don't make enough squash as it is tbh.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I made a delicious Irish stew last week, with shredded cabbage in it for the last hour of cooking and it was lovely. I have a load of brussel sprouts in my veg box this week, and I was wondering if I could do the same thing, or will the sprouts get gross?

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 10, 2023

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Scientastic posted:

I made a delicious Irish stew last week, with shredded cabbage in it for the last hour of cooking and it was lovely. I have a load of brussel sprouts in my veg box this week, and I was wondering if I could do the same thing, or will the sprouts get gross?

Sounds tasty to me! If it was me, I'd have the stew pretty much completely cooked before adding the sprouts and just keep it simmering 'til they are just done.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Scientastic posted:

I think it would work in a similar way but way less than an hour for them.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I live in a Nice Cheese desert and would like to order some Nice Cheese for the holidays. Anyone have a favorite internet cheese shop? I'm in the SE US so somewhere East coast would probably be better for shipping.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Anyone have any idea where I can get poppy seed hotdog buns in England? I found a bakery place in Whitechapel, but it would be cool if there was just a store that did them.

Long shot, I know, and yeah, I should just bake my own... Sigh.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I live in a Nice Cheese desert and would like to order some Nice Cheese for the holidays. Anyone have a favorite internet cheese shop? I'm in the SE US so somewhere East coast would probably be better for shipping.

Murray’s does online orders for delivery everywhere in the US, and has a very solid selection.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I personally don't like my brussel sprouts boiled. If I were using them in a stew I'd roast them first and mix them in when my stew is finished.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

!Klams posted:

Anyone have any idea where I can get poppy seed hotdog buns in England? I found a bakery place in Whitechapel, but it would be cool if there was just a store that did them.

Long shot, I know, and yeah, I should just bake my own... Sigh.

By no means an expert on supermarket bread, but I honestly can't say I've ever seen seeded hotdog buns over here, in any store. No poppy, no sesame, nothing. Just basic bitch ones, and occasionally in summer, M&S do a decent size one for outdoor food.

Is there any particular reason you can't just get some basic ones and milk wash them and add your own poppy seeds?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

I personally don't like my brussel sprouts boiled. If I were using them in a stew I'd roast them first and mix them in when my stew is finished.

Yeah, nor do I really, but I feel like roasting them first and mixing them in would miss the overall point of the dish, which is one big pot of deliciousness that you might have in the oven while you’re out tending the sheep

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Roasting veggies and then turning them into soup can work fantastically. Roast butternut squash soup is one of my favorites, and I could see a roast brussels sprout soup working well. It'd probably have to be pureed, though.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Torquemada posted:

Is there any particular reason you can't just get some basic ones and milk wash them and add your own poppy seeds?

Yeah, the reason is that I'm a loving dumb rear end.
This is a really solid answer, thanks!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
One of the things that I have learned to always keep in my pantry these days is a couple tubes of Cento tomato paste.

Is there a similar such product for mushrooms? Because this is the fifth goddamn time I've forgotten to buy mushrooms for dinner.

Any considerations between freeze-dried or regular dried?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They make mushroom paste in tubes, or there’s mushroom Better than Bouillon

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always have dried shiitakes in the pantry. They will take a few hours to hydrate though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Aligot… is it possible in a stand mixer