Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

symbolic posted:

no one thinks 6 is the worst but you

i feel like if there's one thing yakuza 6 is it is not one of the more popular ones. like i dont like 4 either but i at least mostly see people enjoy that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

symbolic posted:

There's like one guy in the Yakuza thread that thinks it's the most racist game ever made too

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
now that guy i dont quite get. it's stupid but in that sense yakuza 2 is way more bizarre, the korean and chinese guys in 6 are weirdly written but, at least feel vaguely sympathetic. it's more that nothing about how they're used is really coherent that gets wild

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

symbolic posted:

I think it's the worst of the kiryu games.

It's not that bad but it's probably the weakest.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't like what that sentence implies about Like A Dragon

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't like what that sentence implies about Like A Dragon

I don't rank them together personally because they're different beasts in terms of overall tone and what they're accomplishing. Same with the Judgement series

If forced I'd probably put seven like 3rd-ish behind 5 and 0, at least in story.

Gameplay 7 is probably my least favorite. It's a DQ game without the bits that make DQ games even a little involved. Just too simple for my tastes but ti was their first try so, here's hoping for 8.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

7 is one of the better stories in a series largely differentiated by the stories for each entry, so I rank it pretty high

Judgment is maybe the best story in any of those games though

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Isnt the samurai Yakuza coming to the US

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

verbal enema posted:

Isnt the samurai Yakuza coming to the US

--posts from one year ago today

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Shinada is probably my favorite of the player characters writing wise. His plot in 5 has some really amazing and low-key moments of characterization. Some really amazing bittersweet moments.

He's also the only character who had scenes and moments that make daigo seem cool.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it is absurd how much that one part of yakuza 5 does for daigo, and then they never brought shinada back again

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Shinada finished his plot, I'm fine with him retiring from the hero spot.

But he's still all timer #1 right in front of Akiyama.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yakuza 5 is cool i think the main thing that drags down my opinion of it is that haruka's chapter is. really not as good as it could be. but yakuza 3 is my favorite game and there is basically a massive pit in the center of that game in between the extremely good beginning and ending so i can't knock 5 too much for having a part that kind of sucks. 4 is on worse terms to me for having a thoroughly pretty bad main story but it at least mostly feels okay to play and has some fun sub stories. yakuza 6 is on the thinnest ice for, having a pretty good like fraction of the entire game overall and the rest, being both a pretty bad story and not being that fun to play after i'd already played a dragon engine game that had fixed all its problems.

i am not counting spinoffs cause i've yet to play the fotns one or of the end or kurouhyou or kurouhyou 2 or kenzan or ishin or judgment or lost judgment

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 10, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

https://twitter.com/PancakeMixMK/status/1722663139391783308?s=20

Fighting games are truly the best

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/LandofObscusion/status/1722606268488016382?s=20

Somewhere in Florida, a light is flashing at Discotek HQ, for there is an obscure mecha anime longing for a blu-ray

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
platinumhugen ordian

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
is birdy the mighty: decode cool? the sakuga blog guy said it was an inspiration for the newest jjk episode (which was cool)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

yakuza 5 is cool i think the main thing that drags down my opinion of it is that haruka's chapter is. really not as good as it could be. but yakuza 3 is my favorite game and there is basically a massive pit in the center of that game in between the extremely good beginning and ending so i can't knock 5 too much for having a part that kind of sucks. 4 is on worse terms to me for having a thoroughly pretty bad main story but it at least mostly feels okay to play and has some fun sub stories. yakuza 6 is on the thinnest ice for, having a pretty good like fraction of the entire game overall and the rest, being both a pretty bad story and not being that fun to play after i'd already played a dragon engine game that had fixed all its problems.

i am not counting spinoffs cause i've yet to play the fotns one or of the end or kurouhyou or kurouhyou 2 or kenzan or ishin or judgment or lost judgment

Both Y3 and Lost Judgement would be twice as good if they just consisted of hanging out and helping out the kids you're taking care of/helping for the whole plot IMO.

Loved learning about all the clubs and every member of them and their issues and interpersonal drama in Lost judgement. Then I had to go back to the kind of boring main plot.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Big Leg posted:

is birdy the mighty: decode cool? the sakuga blog guy said it was an inspiration for the newest jjk episode (which was cool)

its ok

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

lol at the $25 season pass

also this game performs like poo poo on switch and ps4 apparently (30 fps from what i've heard)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Big Leg posted:

It is ok, as Namtab said, but I definitely remember the animation studio having a little bit of fun in the second season. The overall story is whatever--prrrrobably the best its source material is ever going to get treated?? But I enjoyed the ride.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
birdy the mighty decode s1 is mediocre, it has a few fun moments but it's generally a bit weak as a story with neither the charm of the ova or the smarter writing of season 2. decode season 2 is a really cool smaller stakes sci fi action show with a stronger emphasis on the more interesting side of birdy's cast, but you wanna watch the original version of the show cause they did an "enhanced" release that completely reanimates a few of its coolest action scenes to look way more on-model and less weird and dynamic and it completely ruins the vibe

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Big Leg posted:

it's pretty good and has a lot of fun loose animation

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

symbolic posted:

I do

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The early RGG Engine stuff is dreadful to play imo

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
sounds cool, i'm going to watch birdy decode. thanks for the warnings about stupid newer releases

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The Colonel posted:

platinumhugen ordian

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Big Leg posted:

I think it’s really cool. Fun story with great action beats. S2 is definitely better than season 1, but it’s all good stuff.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/GrePre_anime/status/1722826020737478838?t=K4qEKMbTtOr3-bgdvp8TGg&s=19

Lmao what more Great Pretender? Not complaining!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Buschmaki posted:

The early RGG Engine stuff is dreadful to play imo

Even in 6 I preferred it to the incredibly stiff combat in the earlier games. Shame they nerfed the drop kick after that though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the drop kick was like the only thing that made yakuza 6's combat bearable, the glow up between then and kiwami 2 is absurd

i think more than anything though 6's engine switch suffers incredibly badly from way stiffer cutscene direction, every in-game cutscene in that game is just people standing stock still and turning their heads at each other

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Kiwami 2 is stunning. I think 7 was actually a down grade, graphically, in some areas (though I haven’t played it, just looked at some footage).

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Big Leg posted:

havent watched it but kiseki is a good song

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Rinkles posted:

Kiwami 2 is stunning. I think 7 was actually a down grade, graphically, in some areas (though I haven’t played it, just looked at some footage).

it, is not.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The characters (not the main cast) I saw looked worse than the standard Kiwami 2 set

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Megamissen posted:

havent watched it but kiseki is a good song

Hell yeah it is

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Big Leg posted:

Arguably might be the best action anime I've seen

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I liked it. a yugo kanno scored show as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WyYOmTHUeM

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Rinkles posted:

The characters (not the main cast) I saw looked worse than the standard Kiwami 2 set

ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think the back half of birdy decode s1 is alright. its good once it gets going it just takes like the last 3 eps to get there.

s2 owns