Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I want Kuma to explode Saturn into a mess of pencil scratches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I want Kuma and Bonney to get 90 percent of the way there and Luffy finishes the job for them.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Nika is gonna give Kuma a VIP Express Pass to Sun God Heaven after all this is done

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Either way I wouldn't be surprised if this arc ends with one of the Elder Stars getting taken out (which would obviously cause another major shakeup in the world)

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Larryb posted:

Either way I wouldn't be surprised if this arc ends with one of the Elder Stars getting taken out (which would obviously cause another major shakeup in the world)
Do they have a succession plan? Feels like Garling could step up into one of those spots

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Cat Machine posted:

Do they have a succession plan? Feels like Garling could step up into one of those spots

That sounds like a pretty good opportunity to naturally get some key exposition.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

if the age-age fruit doesn't stop the disease and Kuma took it into himself, I hope they tag-team kill Saturn by Kuma slamming him with the disease and then Bonny using her powers to speed up its progress, statueing him instantly
The thing is, villains tend to not die in One Piece. Saturn can suffer a lot more if he stays alive.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Supersonic Shine posted:

The thing is, villains tend to not die in One Piece. Saturn can suffer a lot more if he stays alive.

Though in terms of Im and the Elder Stars I’m not sure what a good alternative would be (they literally rule the world, would they really just give up after being beaten once?). That said, just giving him Bonney’s disease could work

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Supersonic Shine posted:

big mom and kaidou are just holding their breath. we can't prove otherwise

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Supersonic Shine posted:

Villains who are people don't get killed off casually. As broken and misguided as they are, they have (or at least had) relatable human hopes and dreams. Saturn is a monstrous symbol of the ruling elite. He needs to be destroyed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
People die sometimes in One Piece and we’re near the end of the series, it’s ok if one of the big bad bosses behind everything is one of them

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Saturn's dream is subjugation

copy
Jul 26, 2007

whats this dream stuff people are talking about? like a metaphor for the devil fruits or something?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

TheKingofSprings posted:

People die sometimes in One Piece and we’re near the end of the series, it’s ok if one of the big bad bosses behind everything is one of them

oda has made a point of off-screening or killing the previous generation of pirates. given the themes around inherited will and generations picking up where their predecessors left off, i really think odas gonna wipe out a lot of the old guard in the final saga, villains included.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

My predictions for immediate events on Egghead once flashback is over:

- Kuma arrives to save Bonney, he kills/hurts/delays Saturn enough that all the good guys are able to escape, but is mortally wounded in the process
- The ancient robot that was just awakened simultaneously goes on a rampage; this allows the good guys to get away and also recover Kuma's body
- VP having special knowledge of devil fruits explains how to extract Kuma's, with the intention of giving it over to the Straw Hats for safe keeping/use to fight the WG
- Catarina and Laffitte show up and snag Kuma's fruit and/or grab something else valuable from Egghead (we saw that one of Blackbeard's ships was arriving to Egghead and these two are both unaccounted for AND happen to be the stealth experts among their crew)

Sketchier speculation from here but this maybe sets up a chase or battle over the fruit, in any case I am starting to agree with the theory that Vivi will end up eating it. It's also possible that Blackbeard has realized he needs to capture Robin as the only person on the planet who can read the poneglyphs (I'm wondering too if VP has this ability having been to Ohara and having insane stores of knowledge, and if so if Blackbeard is savvy enough to know this; maybe Blackbeard's guys are there for either devil fruits or VP or both but are forced to compromise on what they get since the Straw Hats are there)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though when all is said and done I wonder if the WG is going to stick around in a more people friendly form without all the stuff like the Celestial Dragons and the like or if they’re just going to tear it all down and build a new government (or just let the local rulers govern their own countries)

I doubt Luffy will ever stop being a pirate though (once he finds the One Piece and achieves his dream he’ll probably just sail off again on a new adventure).

I could see the Strawhats being cleared of all charges thanks to their help in toppling the old regime but then Luffy purposefully doing something at the end to earn himself a new bounty

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 10, 2023

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

It is amazing that it was over a decade ago that someone speculated that Kuma should join the Strawhats because his fruit fits in with the crew based on numerology and now we're in a position where his ability might actually be passed on and the Strawhats are right there with the world's leading Devil Fruit expert.

I still don't see how it will go down. Even if the Strawhats got the fruit, who would eat it? Franky rejected the idea of eating a fruit entirely on Dressrossa, and he's the only one tangentially related to all this. And no one else would make any more sense.

But it's weird how close this all is, considering how long ago that speculation was highlighted by Oda (Volume 59 SBS, August 2010).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Larryb posted:

Though when all is said and done I wonder if the WG is going to stick around in a more people friendly form without all the stuff like the Celestial Dragons and the like or if they’re just going to tear it all down and build a new government (or just let the local rulers govern their own countries)

I doubt Luffy will ever stop being a pirate though (once he finds the One Piece and achieves his dream he’ll probably just sail off again on a new adventure).

I could see the Strawhats being cleared of all charges thanks to their help in toppling the old regime but then Luffy purposefully doing something at the end to earn himself a new bounty

It definitely seems to me like we are getting a setup where the WG is pretty much entirely parasitic to the rest of the world, and should just be destroyed forever. We see over and over that these "lesser" kingdoms basically get along fine, but countless problems are caused by the fact that they have to pay tribute and allow CDs to do whatever they want, at any time. The Marines are even positioned as being more of a separate entity than directly part of the WG, I could see an ending where they still exist to protect the common people from pirates but the WG ceases to exist.

Every single thing we learn reinforces the message: The WG/celestial dragons do absolutely nothing for the world except make it worse. Frankly I hope it continues that way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eiba posted:

It is amazing that it was over a decade ago that someone speculated that Kuma should join the Strawhats because his fruit fits in with the crew based on numerology and now we're in a position where his ability might actually be passed on and the Strawhats are right there with the world's leading Devil Fruit expert.

I still don't see how it will go down. Even if the Strawhats got the fruit, who would eat it? Franky rejected the idea of eating a fruit entirely on Dressrossa, and he's the only one tangentially related to all this. And no one else would make any more sense.

But it's weird how close this all is, considering how long ago that speculation was highlighted by Oda (Volume 59 SBS, August 2010).

Nami maybe? Or perhaps Vivi could officially join the crew and take the fruit

But yeah, Kuma joining up with them makes sense honestly

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
kuma in the giant robot body joins the crew

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Eiba posted:

Dr. Vegapunk’s green blood. Franky will get Kuma’s powers by sipping it like Mountain Dew.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Eiba posted:

I think Vivi is the last chance for a "new" crew member and the paw paw fruit would be a sorely needed upgrade for her...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's going to be Vivi because she's already a crew member actually, she's just returned to the story after like half a decade at least, and the Nefertari line has been given major relevance with Lily and the fact that Vivi is technically a D.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Vivi piece that I'm still hung up on is, assuming she is going to meet back up with the Straw Hats, what interest Morgans and Wapol have in getting her there.

Actually, never mind, Morgans is probably just chasing a hot scoop

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And I don't think Wapol entirely knows what's going on other than that very important people are probably mad at him

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Begemot posted:

It definitely seems to me like we are getting a setup where the WG is pretty much entirely parasitic to the rest of the world, and should just be destroyed forever. We see over and over that these "lesser" kingdoms basically get along fine, but countless problems are caused by the fact that they have to pay tribute and allow CDs to do whatever they want, at any time. The Marines are even positioned as being more of a separate entity than directly part of the WG, I could see an ending where they still exist to protect the common people from pirates but the WG ceases to exist.

Every single thing we learn reinforces the message: The WG/celestial dragons do absolutely nothing for the world except make it worse. Frankly I hope it continues that way.

So long as the Marines exist as a global anti-piracy organization and have to get funding from somewhere, some sort of world government will exist, even if it’s nominally a different entity from the current World Government. While I don’t expect Oda to go into too much depth about it, I suspect that the world order at the end of the story will still leave the sort of people who joined the Revolutionaries after Sabo’s “assassination” of Cobra complaining that the World Government wasn’t really overthrown.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Eiba posted:

Nika replaced Kuma's fruit in the numerology

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Could Wapol's devil fruit allow him to eat other devil fruits without dying? Other devil fruit users?

I never got why suicide-happy Kaido never bothered trying to eat any other random devil fruit he came across.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
While Vivi is the natural contender for the last spot, this sequence could be set up for Bonney to join. Since Kuma does have a relationship with the strawhats and she is his daughter. If he is unable to help because of his injuries or he dies here, then she is likely to want to go in his place. Especially If/when she finds out that Luffy is the person her dad and everyone else has been waiting for all this time.

Also if the Blackbeard pirates do end up stealing his fruit, then she would have a grudge against them as well as the world government. So Luffy's enemies are also her enemies in that case, which helps.

Not saying this will for sure happen or anything, but it doesn't seem impossible.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i mean i think bonney is in the grand fleet regardless

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Desumaytah posted:

Could Wapol's devil fruit allow him to eat other devil fruits without dying? Other devil fruit users?

I never got why suicide-happy Kaido never bothered trying to eat any other random devil fruit he came across.

My impression of Kaido is that he didn't want to die to something that would guarantee his death, if that makes sense. He wanted to be defeated or overcome in some way, not just kill himself.

I dunno if that actually tracks because the seeds for it were so long ago, but that's how my brain reconciles it, anyway

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mikeycp posted:

i mean i think bonney is in the grand fleet regardless

It would be nice to have a lady captain in the Straw Hat fleet.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Eiba posted:

Kild posted:

Luffy will eat it by accident and we'll get an explanation of how someone can have two fruits.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
it makes sense for vivi to get it because somehow lili spread the poneglyphs all over the world. this is borderline impossible through normal sailing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arist posted:

The Vivi piece that I'm still hung up on is, assuming she is going to meet back up with the Straw Hats, what interest Morgans and Wapol have in getting her there.

Actually, never mind, Morgans is probably just chasing a hot scoop

If the WG wants your rear end the safest place to be is probably in the care of a friendly emperor

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kild posted:

That's true. Oda was probably doing his whole bit because Nika fit in with the last two missing digits and there was nothing significant about Kuma's fruit.

... but here we are, conceivably close to that prediction in a scenario that undoubtedly has been planned out for a long, long time. Of all the fruits, how crazy is that?

I don't think it's very likely that anyone on the crew will get the fruit, but it's weird that it's so close and it's fun to speculate about.

anime was right posted:

it makes sense for vivi to get it because somehow lili spread the poneglyphs all over the world. this is borderline impossible through normal sailing.
Oh drat, I forgot about that! Okay, there's one Strawhat who has a strong connection to the fruit.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Arist posted:

My impression of Kaido is that he didn't want to die to something that would guarantee his death, if that makes sense. He wanted to be defeated or overcome in some way, not just kill himself.

I dunno if that actually tracks because the seeds for it were so long ago, but that's how my brain reconciles it, anyway

If you outlast two dream devils while they're having a last-man-standing match in your soul, is that not a victory worth celebrating?

I mean, gently caress, he went ahead and fell from the sky. Why not try it? Why not just eat one devil fruit and walk into the ocean and see if your lungs can win the war of attrition?

Kaido was a coward who romanticised getting his rear end kicked to death when he'd already given up on life, and this stems from his fear of intimacy :umberto:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
kaido wasnt committing suicide he was doing self-harm out of depression

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

If the WG wants your rear end the safest place to be is probably in the care of a friendly emperor

Especially one that’s tangled with the Celestial Dragons, multiple emperors/big name pirates/high ranking Marines, and probably an Elder Star before long and not only lived to tell the tale but came out on top pretty much every single time

Plus with everything going on Vivi’s got a good reason to join the Strawhats now (the WG killed her dad after all). I’m particularly curious how her reunion with Robin is gonna go down and what she’ll think of Franky, Brook, and Jinbe

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Larryb posted:

Especially one that’s tangled with the Celestial Dragons, multiple emperors/big name pirates/high ranking Marines, and probably an Elder Star before long and not only lived to tell the tale but came out on top pretty much every single time

This reconciles Shanks being raised by Roger, as well as Shanks successfully taking a whole shitload of oppressed/weak crews under his wing. Maybe he's a good guy after all!

Or maybe he's just setting up the biggest Celestial hunt ever to prove his worth to his real dad!

Maybe you can even bag a Sun God, if you're strong enough!

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 10, 2023