Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

smax posted:

Ok, I’m having issues and I’m looking for ideas on what’s going on. Prusa MK3S+, slightly modified but no mechanical changes.

I’ve attempted to print the moon lamp about 5-6 times and they’ve all failed, always due to random X axis shifts. They happen at random heights and the shift ranges anywhere from 1/4” to 3”, always in the same direction (to the left/toward the X axis driver).

I’ve been progressively removing variables, this is what I’ve done so far:
-Removed clip-on filament cleaner/wiper.
-Printed from SD rather than Octoprint.
-Removed filament guide, spool has always been centered over the print bed.
-Spool is a cardboard Inland spool with no snags, no tangles.
-Belt looks to be in good shape with all teeth intact, tension is 264.
-X axis pulley is tight on the driver shaft, I tightened and loctited the grub screws a long time ago.
-Crash detection is off, due to a history of false Y axis crashes.

I’m at a loss for what to look at next, any pointers? I don’t typically print things this big, but some of the layer shifts have happened in the first 0.5cm of height which would have been apparent when printing all of the other stuff I usually do.

A month later, I still can’t print the drat moon. I’m still getting random layer shifts on the X axis.

I’ve tried a couple different filament guides and spool holders, my current theory is it has to do with spools and/or filament randomly binding on the spool holder and/or filament guide. The moon has a lot of movement across almost the entire X axis width, which seems to be the big differentiator from other things that I print without issue. Inspecting the failed prints, it seems like there’s some random roughness in the X direction that seems like it’s from having tension in the filament as the extruder moves.

I now have the spool holder mounted 90* to its normal orientation with filament pointing straight down at the extruder, no filament guide. I’ve also printed some smooth sleeves to fit over the stock spool holder so the spool/sleeve slide freely. Moving back and forth quickly doesn’t cause any sort of binding or tension in the filament.

If I get layer shifts with this setup, I quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
How is tension on the belts? Skipping is the most common cause of layer shift afaik.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 28, 2023

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
This is really dumb but the leadscrews that stick up and end midway up the voron trident really bother me.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Cory Parsnipson posted:

This is really dumb but the leadscrews that stick up and end midway up the voron trident really bother me.

Why should they go further?

Amusingly, those leadscrews are one of the limiting factors of the Trident. They define maximum z.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
PSA: stay the gently caress away from the Armchair Engineering discord unless you want to go into debt.

Although this 1/2" bed that can hit peek temps with SmCo magnets is gonna be the last bed I will ever need.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

ilkhan posted:

How is tension on the belts? Skipping is the most common cause of prayer shift afaik.
Belt tension’s good. If I still have problems I might try to tweak it some, but it is about perfect.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

I agree with most of what you said, but there IS a smooth PEI sheet you can buy (for an additional $80). I bought one because I hate the satin sheet.

I also am not sure why you'd need a quick-change nozzle when you have a 5-head toolchanger.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Print Finished

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Should have taken a picture, but got a heater error, it's been more than a year since I fiddled with the extruder on that voron, saw that the microfit was a bit lose so I guessed I goofed the crimp and it finally came lose...

Turns out I had crimped the wrong connector, more than a year of male to male connection... Does that make my hotend bi since the other connection was correct?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bondematt posted:

Print Finished

Congrats, it's a spaghet!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Macichne Leainig posted:

Congrats, it's a spaghet!

Turns out I forgot to change the bed plate in OrcaSlicer.

Came out looking pretty neat though.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Bondematt posted:

Print Finished

I'm in this picture and I don't like it

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Bondematt posted:

In my house: "Congratulations, you made art."

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The Chairman posted:

It looks like a rebadged upgrade of the Trilab Azteq delta printer, and that currently goes for about US$7800

Yeah, the acquired Trilab Azteq only goes to 300C on the end. Hopefully it’s about the same price point at most, because that gets really compelling for 500C.

I’m gonna ask if it has any multi material capabilities as well. If it’ll take an MMU 3 that’s extra interesting.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Nerobro posted:

Why should they go further?

Amusingly, those leadscrews are one of the limiting factors of the Trident. They define maximum z.

Yeah it's perfectly functional I just think it looks weird.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Bondematt posted:

When I first read about the Bambu X1's "AI checks if you're using the right plate before printing" feature I thought who the gently caress would ever need that, but I too have done the same thing on the P1S :D

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I'm printing some flat walls, and I'm seeing a repeating pattern across multiple prints which is that texture that looks like bubbling/not a flat deposit.

I'm assuming this is actually an issue with the printer settings rather than the file. Is this just because of too much filament extrusion, or is it something askew with my Z offset?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
What kind of infill are you using? It looks like it could be buildup at places where the infill crosses itself.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

The Demilich posted:

I'm printing some flat walls, and I'm seeing a repeating pattern across multiple prints which is that texture that looks like bubbling/not a flat deposit.

I'm assuming this is actually an issue with the printer settings rather than the file. Is this just because of too much filament extrusion, or is it something askew with my Z offset?

Can you provide a photo that's focused better? That's a common side effect of over-extrusion and/or having the nozzle too close to the bed if the object is thin, flat and solid. Basically too much filament is extruded and the nozzle drags through bulging material from previous layers as it lays down new ones, typically leaving fine troughs behind (which is why a better photo would help).

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

That is called pillowing. You either don't have enough infill, or enough top layers. cooling can help compensate for it. You are also overextruding.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Nerobro posted:

That is called pillowing. You either don't have enough infill, or enough top layers. cooling can help compensate for it. You are also overextruding.

I agree that would also look like this, but the photo makes it look like these are flat and thin, such that they might just be solid?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Are those spots not sticking to the bed possibly? If that's a thin piece

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Also I saw an interesting comment about gyroid infill trapping air as it's building which could cause some spots to pillow up as it heats.

Switching to a more open infill changed some things for me, but only when I do long flat expenses

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Roundboy posted:

Also I saw an interesting comment about gyroid infill trapping air as it's building which could cause some spots to pillow up as it heats.

Switching to a more open infill changed some things for me, but only when I do long flat expenses

This seems pretty wild to me unless maybe your printing a crazy high infill or something

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Roundboy posted:

But gyroid is already one of the most open infills...

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
There's also no way a part that thin has enough infill (if any at all) to capture that much air in the first place (though hard to tell exactly with the blurry photo). Definitely something else going on.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
The gyroid makes closed capsules though as it prints? Vs cubic or whatever that is open until top solid. Either way use the infill appropriate to your application

I'm printing Trex shaped dicks, so ymmv

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I haven't printed much gyroid but from what I have printed I would bet money that it does not create "pockets" of air as you go. It looks open all the way through, just winding

Even Prusa's website says the infill is perfect for filling a print with a liquid like resin, it would have to be not sealed by nature to accomplish this

https://help.prusa3d.com/article/infill-patterns_177130#infill-types-and-their-properties

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Gyroid is absolutely not a closed geometry.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I guess the gyroid would form linear pockets in a very thin piece... still more open than a grid or cubic though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

One of the key features of the gyroid (in its idealized form) is that it explicitly is not individual pockets. It's a single connected closed volume.

Also I don't believe that an average 3d printed part is remotely close to being sealed against gas then the first top layer goes down, nor do i believe that the amount of expansion/pressure rise you'd see in the air (about 13% from room temperature to 60 C) would be significant if it was.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Just ordered an X1C. I’ve had a Creality CR-10 V3 for a few years now but it’s been non stop problems this last month. Looking forward to nice and fast prints with less effort.

Any accessories to get/print or filaments to get to really highlight its skills?

Mostly print functional stuff for around the house and recently designed/printed a custom jukebox for my 2yo that uses RFIDs inside of 3D printed game boy cartridges that trigger different songs to play through the overhead speakers in his play room.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Roundboy posted:

This thread is basically the best source of information on how to 3D print on the internet because hokum like that does not get posted here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triply_periodic_minimal_surface

Sagebrush is, as usual, completely correct and I hope you call out the person who posted that.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Opioid posted:

Just ordered an X1C. I’ve had a Creality CR-10 V3 for a few years now but it’s been non stop problems this last month. Looking forward to nice and fast prints with less effort.

Any accessories to get/print or filaments to get to really highlight its skills?

Load filament, press print. Apart from trying to print a RC plane, I have not had to adjust settings at all. (Also only currently using Bambu filament).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Opioid posted:

Mostly print functional stuff for around the house and recently designed/printed a custom jukebox for my 2yo that uses RFIDs inside of 3D printed game boy cartridges that trigger different songs to play through the overhead speakers in his play room.

If you have good ventilation in your printer area you can give ASA a shot. Surface finish and strength are crazy good, and didn't try to rip itself off the bed like ABS. It does have a distinctly petroleum vibe to it's odor, IMO.

The biggest thing with the X1C is it's out of the box speeds. Just figuring out what works well is half the hobby of this printer. And half the fun. The other half is sending videos to your friends with Enders and watching their heads pop.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Unlike Voron, where 100% of the hobby is tweaking/tuning/dialing it in, as I'm now discovering.

I'm upset at the moment because my 0.4 nozzle is doing some vertical banding at the moment, but when I switch to 0.25 one it's completely gone.
At first I thought it was some A/B belt slack, but the 0.25 nozzle results threw that theory out of the window.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I just received my X1C couple of days ago. Has been trouble free except for the PLA-CF sample that came with the printer which struggles to feed from the AMS. Flawless in my with PLA and ASA.

I was just looking at it on thermal camera while printing ASA to see where additional insulation could help to raise the chamber temperature for larger PAHT-CF prints. I have a roll of that but haven’t tried it yet.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
They don't make it super apparent but you should avoid putting abrasive filament in the ams. Carbon fiber, glow in the dark, etc will cause excessive wear on the internals.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
PLA-CF and PAHT-CF they list as AMS compatible. That still may not mean that they don’t cause undue wear. The PLA-CF certainly feels rather abrasive to fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

gbut posted:

Unlike Voron, where 100% of the hobby is tweaking/tuning/dialing it in, as I'm now discovering.

I'm upset at the moment because my 0.4 nozzle is doing some vertical banding at the moment, but when I switch to 0.25 one it's completely gone.
At first I thought it was some A/B belt slack, but the 0.25 nozzle results threw that theory out of the window.

Likely the backlash on your extruder. Or a bad hobbed gear.