Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my actual name is Firstname Lastname @gmail.com. which trips a lot of people up because Lastname is actually my middle name. and I can't even tell you all the crap Google has been giving me about my last name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Goon email lore was solved by IZ some years ago

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i was really into mafia and pokemon back in the late 90s and my username was charizardscumhunter@aol.com it wasnt until i signed on that i immediately realized how it could be misread and i started getting flamed in the america online chatrooms i begged my mom to let me change my name but she told me that sometimes we have to live with our poor life choices

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Atjimail family emigrated from India centuries ago and Google won't leave them alone

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I once used mail.info@post.com as a junk mail address. Wish I still had it, it was so perfectly generic.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

for a long time I had addresswithheld@gmail.com and I will never forgive myself for letting it lapse

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Rockman Reserve posted:

for a long time I had addresswithheld@gmail.com and I will never forgive myself for letting it lapse

why on earth would you ever let that go lol

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Data Graham posted:

And I'm still using a username that I thought was a funny pun in 1994 but is completely nonsensical now. Oh well nothing is to be done

We still use the OSI model and refer to the transmission units generally as datagrams, though the word itself IME is rare to come up in the day to day or outside educational materials

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Grassy Knowles posted:

We still use the OSI model and refer to the transmission units generally as datagrams, though the word itself IME is rare to come up in the day to day or outside educational materials

I didn't even mean my SA username, I meant my primary email address which is a DIFFERENT obsolete and impenetrable pun. My track record is awesome

e: I should go back to my 1992-era one, Ray Tracey :pcgaming:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Calling myself Tokin ring and everyone thinkin I misspelled Tolkein

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

do you ever invoke a layer 8 error?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

PYF Naming Conventions

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

do you ever invoke a layer 8 error?

Yes Layer 8 and PEBKAC are evergreen

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Grassy Knowles posted:

Had to Google layer 8 because I'm not a computer touching pervert but pebcak is a classic

Along with GIGO error

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

always seems a 50/50 shot someone's gonna "get" layer 8 ime

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

I wanna hear more stories about how goons' email addresses are formatted. Does anyone use periods or other special characters? What about goons who have a common name or were the first to get a common word as an email address? Does that ever come with any whacky hijinks with unexpected emails? What hosting providers do y'all use? :kiddo:

Yeah, I was the first to sign up for gmail with my particular firstname.lastname and it happens like once a year. So far I've gotten
- questions about when I was going to chip in for some birthday dinner of a few Dutch boomers
- an accidental family therapy appointment for father & daughter (I don't have kids)
- a lady e-mailing "me" to say how much she enjoyed our date and that she was looking forward to the next one
- someone asking me whether "I was already in the caravan" (?!)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just signed up as lastname@gmail.com during the early beta waves and I get a lot of random stuff for other people, it's remarkable how bad everyone is at emails. So many airline/campground/hotel/rental car reservations, endless mails from Sunday schools, vacation photos, etc

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I found an old article the other day... for context, Dutch postcodes are 4 digits followed by 2 letters, and are precise enough that a postcode + house number combination uniquely identifies an address, and if the street name is invalid, as long as the postcode + house number is correct, mail will still be delivered.

The article was about someone who apparently actually lived at postcode 1234 AB and house number 123, which was perfectly fine when it was assigned back in the 1980s.

But, about 10 years ago, they kept getting more and more weird stuff. Letters about basically anything. Power suddenly shut down because someone testing the form at the power company's website used 1234 AB. And so on.
Since then, it looks like they reassigned the postcode region and reserved 1234 AB as permanently unused.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Reminds me of the guy who thought he was smart by getting the license plate "NULL" thinking they wouldn't be able to ticket him. Turns out by doing that, he was on the hook for every ticket that had an invalid or blank plate.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Little Bobby Plates

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Should’ve filed a namechange

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

BonHair posted:

I use my work email. I have zero relations outside of work, so I just replace my entire social circle when I change jobs.

:mods: this is perversion!

I'm continually amazed at how many people use their work email for things like online gambling, subscription sites and job hunting.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Radio Paranoia posted:

I'm continually amazed at how many people use their work email for things like online gambling, subscription sites and job hunting.

lol owns

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Azhais posted:

I just signed up as lastname@gmail.com during the early beta waves and I get a lot of random stuff for other people, it's remarkable how bad everyone is at emails. So many airline/campground/hotel/rental car reservations, endless mails from Sunday schools, vacation photos, etc

When I was in grad school, I got messages meant for a prof with a name similar to mine but not exactly mine. It was mildly irritating but it didn’t happen often. Until the guy’s kid thought he used his dad’s email to sign up for some Disney mobile gaming thing, but used mine instead. God dammit.

Not sure if this counts as a meme, but it’s A Thing

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

BonHair posted:

I use my work email. I have zero relations outside of work, so I just replace my entire social circle when I change jobs.

This is the way.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Why? Fuckem, that's why :rad:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Radio Paranoia posted:

To be fair, cutting ties with your gambling habit every job change seems good, and generally speaking, your job hunting stops being relevant for a while when you're starting a new job.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm firstname@firstnamelastname.com

So technically I could probably set it up to be anything at all @firstnamelastname.com and, like, give out different email addresses for different signups

If you have a Gmail account, you can do that now without managing a bunch of inboxes. Just add "+whatever" after you email before the "@gmail" part. It will all go into the "base" inbox.

So, with myemail@gmail.com you can sign up with myemail+facebook@gmail.com and this email will still go into myemail@gmail.com, but show up as myemail+facebook@gmail.com.

That way you can see who has been selling your data since their db will capture the full email, and will alsobe able to create labels to easily filter out garbage.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Velocity Raptor posted:

If you have a Gmail account, you can do that now without managing a bunch of inboxes. Just add "+whatever" after you email before the "@gmail" part. It will all go into the "base" inbox.

So, with myemail@gmail.com you can sign up with myemail+facebook@gmail.com and this email will still go into myemail@gmail.com, but show up as myemail+facebook@gmail.com.

That way you can see who has been selling your data since their db will capture the full email, and will alsobe able to create labels to easily filter out garbage.

Less importantly, periods are removed from gmail addresses. myemail@gmail.com and my.email@gmail.com go to the same place, in the event that whatever site you are signing up to doesn't allow plus addressing.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

shazbot posted:

Less importantly, periods are removed from gmail addresses. myemail@gmail.com and my.email@gmail.com go to the same place, in the event that whatever site you are signing up to doesn't allow plus addressing.

This was not true at the onset of gmail so there at least were at one point legacy accounts that only differed by . Placement

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Lol stfu nerds

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://i.imgur.com/X6c3J6X.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/2l4qJnW.mp4

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

hey did anybody ever have an aim away message haha what was that like haha

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

root beer posted:

When I was in grad school, I got messages meant for a prof with a name similar to mine but not exactly mine. It was mildly irritating but it didn’t happen often. Until the guy’s kid thought he used his dad’s email to sign up for some Disney mobile gaming thing, but used mine instead. God dammit.

My personal highlight was when a professor in Florida got the email wrong on a handout and I got ~600 resumes for a medical scribe internship

https://i.imgur.com/L0H1HVK.mp4

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

gently caress@you.cum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

But... why?