Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The gore, while fun, wasn't really why I enjoyed Terrifier 2 so much. I enjoyed it because of how utterly weird and funny it was. From Art hallucinating a second weird clown girl to the costume shop scene, and then the big climax taking place in a title drop and the main character becoming a crazed Valkyrie that was supercharged with fantasy lightning - that's exactly my jam. All the splatter is fun, and I'm sure they'll use it as the gimmick like they did the second, but as long as they don't forget the wild fun of the second one I'll be up for the third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also the film wasn’t advertised as a barf bag movie. People just kept barfing and fainting and it was hilarious. The world did the marketing for them

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The gore, while fun, wasn't really why I enjoyed Terrifier 2 so much. I enjoyed it because of how utterly weird and funny it was. From Art hallucinating a second weird clown girl to the costume shop scene, and then the big climax taking place in a title drop and the main character becoming a crazed Valkyrie that was supercharged with fantasy lightning - that's exactly my jam. All the splatter is fun, and I'm sure they'll use it as the gimmick like they did the second, but as long as they don't forget the wild fun of the second one I'll be up for the third.

Yeah I agree with this. This is what won me over. I thought the first was very mid with good effects but it had little charm.

The gore in 2 was more fun in that it was so over the top it became cartoony.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

David Howard Thornton being a legitimately really good mime goes a long way too, the whole costume store scene was brilliant because of him.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm very behind because of the challenge but we watched House of Usher this week and it owns. I enjoyed the earlier Flanagan stuff but only really liked Midnight Mass, but thought this one was great and a very cool concept.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I started The Curse. While it isn't outright horror yet, it's one of the most uncomfortable, dread-inducing things I've seen. My girlfriend could barely finish it from cringing so much.

re: Horror Adventure Games, Amnesia: The Dark Descent is basically that with a first-person perspective. No combat or weapons, you just have to run if poo poo gets bad. Very fun game. Played it over the spooky season and it's thankfully pretty short.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
My main takeaway from watching that first episode of The Curse was Fielder could totally make a killer horror movie, yeah.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

a while back people were talking about getting scared by horror movies. I don't get scared very often but once in a while something will get under my skin and give me the willies, usually found footage of people in isolated places.

What I like about these times is the afterglow when the movie is over, when I can sit in a darkened room and enjoy the residual spookiness. It's a mood I enjoy and it takes a scary movie to put me there. I watched the new Hell House movie last night and it gave me the creeps and afterwards I sat there and basked in it

Yeah, I have watched way too much horror and most of it fails to get a reaction out of me, but found footage can still spook me out a bit sometimes. It’s mostly a dumb genre but I like it for that reason.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I hate that I can be like oh Horror movies don't scare me anymore that's something I've seen a million times here comes the trope and then get terrified by some stupid rear end analogue horror on youtube.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Have u watched the Japanese horror series "Q" that poo poo rocks

On the youtubes

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I hoped for a moment that the trailer for T3 would have Art attacking Santa and the movie is about the protagonists racing Art to all the holiday beings to protect them from being horriffically butchered.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

a good jump scare still makes me grin when it gets me

but yeah that deep soul-deadening terror is harder to come by in cinema these days. just lookin out the window will do it though!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I felt more tension and general unease and ick watching Priscilla than I have with any recent horror movie, Elvis is a great monster but I'm not quite ready to call it a horror movie

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I felt more tension and general unease and ick watching Priscilla than I have with any recent horror movie, Elvis is a great monster but I'm not quite ready to call it a horror movie
:same:, though I'd call it one. Maybe psychological horror is a more appropriate term for it, but I definitely felt horrified watching it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

:same:, though I'd call it one. I definitely felt horrified watching it.

:agreed: completely

Also speaking of new horrors: coming to VOD services tomorrow are two festival-buzzers. Onyx The Fortuitous And The Talisman Of Souls, which I wanted to see but didn't have the chance to

and Wintertide, which I got to see in summer for Chattanooga and really liked! A volunteer watch person during a zombie plague in a city that hasn't seen sunlight in over 3 months. A neat and beautiful-looking tense mystery with a zombie take on the 30 Days of Night setting. In a festival I loved, one of the more interesting surprises

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Just watched Five (1951), the first film made about a post nuclear apocalyptic world. It got under my skin way more than I expected it to, but it was funny to see how much of the genre was established right here at the very beginning. Way bleaker than I expected!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Just watched Five (1951), the first film made about a post nuclear apocalyptic world. It got under my skin way more than I expected it to, but it was funny to see how much of the genre was established right here at the very beginning. Way bleaker than I expected!

It is a rough watch.

And on a positive note, my theater's getting Godzilla Minus One.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

M_Sinistrari posted:

It is a rough watch.

And on a positive note, my theater's getting Godzilla Minus One.

Oh my, so jealous of your ability to watch Godzilla. I finally, finally watched Shin Godzilla over the weekend and absolutely loved it. My teenage son was surprisingly engaged and my girlfriend thought it was just OK, but she is more of a fan of the "Godzilla fights monsters" era of the movies. I want to see Minus One so bad!

We went on kind of a tear this last weekend watching or rewatching some favorites. We did a long afternoon of Hellraiser and Hellraiser 2, followed by the new Hellraiser movie on Hulu. That was a fun, goopy ride. The OG Hellraiser was really far superior to the sequel, which for years I thought was the better of the two. But on rewatch I found the first to be really perfectly paced in comparison. The reboot/re-imagining/whatever is also a great little movie. It doesn't really serve as a replacement for the OG Hellraiser but works as a modern take on the concept. It's really well shot and doesn't overstay its welcome at all. I hope we get another one.

We tried a movie called The Tower on Shudder as well that definitely wasn't our cup of tea though. It's a french movie with a neat concept (blackness envelops a building, ostensibly killing anyone that goes into it) but it veers and stays into "man is the real monster, don't you think?" territory and stays there. I was hoping for something a bit more supernatural tbh. There are some good performances but like a lot of recent, modern horror it's kind of missing the last part of its third act. It just....ends. Maybe it's thematically appropriate but it was deeply unsatisfying. I'm find having questions when a movie is done but it just didn't do it for me. I've noticed that trend in recent movies where they end with entire plots just dangling. Arctic Void was another recent one that did the same thing. It's hard for me to recommend but it's a bleak, human survival movie with some brutal scenes so it might be for someone.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I mean, I'm down to clown again as much as the next Art aficionado but I don't know that I want to see Art graphically killing a kid, if that's what the teaser was implying.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Levantine posted:

We tried a movie called The Tower on Shudder as well that definitely wasn't our cup of tea though. It's a french movie with a neat concept (blackness envelops a building, ostensibly killing anyone that goes into it) but it veers and stays into "man is the real monster, don't you think?" territory and stays there. I was hoping for something a bit more supernatural tbh. There are some good performances but like a lot of recent, modern horror it's kind of missing the last part of its third act. It just....ends. Maybe it's thematically appropriate but it was deeply unsatisfying. I'm find having questions when a movie is done but it just didn't do it for me. I've noticed that trend in recent movies where they end with entire plots just dangling. Arctic Void was another recent one that did the same thing. It's hard for me to recommend but it's a bleak, human survival movie with some brutal scenes so it might be for someone.

That's too bad about The Tower. I've been eyeballing that one, but if it's going the 'man's the real monster' angle, I'll skip it. I've seen enough in life, especially during my stint as a 911 operator to know very much that humanity can be the real monster to where when it pops in a film it's like the equivalent of the artist painting with her menstrual blood acting like this is something new when it's been done since the 60s. It's not really shocking or something that makes you think beyond 'oof, that had to reek'. And I agree with you on the abrupt ending thing. I'm forgetting the name, but it was a short French film where this kinda agoraphobic work from home tech support guy goes to a party and something happens where people are turning into Lovecraftian tentacle shadow monsters. It was really good, but the end just drops off and left me wanting more.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I kept squirming in my seat during large parts of it, and Elvis throwing a chair in a fit of rage was right up there with my favorite horror moments ever. Wouldn't call it a horror movie by any stretch but now I want to see Sofia Coppola tackle a horror movie.

I also watched Wolfen this weekend and loved that. I don't want to spoil anything in case you haven't seen it, but about halfway through I thought it was going for some weird racist stuff, but it veers in an entirely different direction and thankfully is much smarter than I'd expect from an 80s movie tackling some of the themes that it did.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, I'm down to clown again as much as the next Art aficionado but I don't know that I want to see Art graphically killing a kid, if that's what the teaser was implying.

He’s gonna turn that kid into a stocking lmfao

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Levantine posted:

We tried a movie called The Tower on Shudder as well that definitely wasn't our cup of tea though. It's a french movie ... It just....ends. Maybe it's thematically appropriate but it was deeply unsatisfying. I'm find having questions when a movie is done but it just didn't do it for me.

I have solved the mystery.

I like French cinema, I've seen a good chunk, but for whatever reason they love that poo poo. Not a crafted ambiguous ending that gives you some questions to ponder, no ; it just feels like the camera ran out so they stopped there. It's common enough that I just call it a "french ending" (which, yeah, sound like it means a different thing).

Not a movie and not really horror, but if you want harrowing weird survival stuff : I just started Scavengers Reign and that poo poo is amazing.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I appreciate this FvJ script just being like gently caress THAT HOUSE AND THAT STUPID SUMMER CAMP. BLOW EM UP

quote:

Nightmare 13 would have assuredly pleased fans of both franchises with its pilgrimage back to classic locations we have long known. The only catch is that the script obliterates the two most iconic venues from each story. We are talking Amityville 3-D/Halloween Resurrection levels of fiery landmark destruction here. Make no mistake, Nightmare 13 is playing for keeps.

Following Meagan’s opening nightmare, the script travels to a rundown 1428 Elm Street where Freddy’s followers have barricaded themselves inside. As a SWAT team storms the house, the cultists set fire to the ground floor with molotov cocktails. A moment later, they detonate a bomb in the basement, causing the burning structure to then explode. Fortunately for the cult, the remaining membership escape through a secret subterranean passageway beneath the house (speaking of Halloween Resurrection). This early scene marks the first and only appearance of Elm Street in this version of the crossover. At scene’s end, the house at 1428 is still ablaze.

Abernathy’s script also makes a return trip to an abandoned Camp Crystal Lake, which is where the heroes transport Jason’s blown-apart remains to be reassembled and reanimated. The hockey-masked titan spends little time here, however, as Captain Murdoch calls in an airstrike on the area. More specifically, he orders a military jet to drop a laser-guided napalm bomb on the campgrounds.

speaking of napalm

quote:

The Fred-heads of the Reiff/Voris draft are also not above suiciding for their cause by way of self-immolation. Cult members are equipped with “concentrated napalm capsules” that explode when bitten.
lol

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

I like French cinema, I've seen a good chunk, but for whatever reason they love that poo poo. Not a crafted ambiguous ending that gives you some questions to ponder, no ; it just feels like the camera ran out so they stopped there. It's common enough that I just call it a "french ending" (which, yeah, sound like it means a different thing).
gently caress, Man Bites Dog and High Tension do that poo poo too, gonna start calling it that

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

gently caress Man Bites Dog

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I couldn't finish The Tower, seems like after the initial rush of finding out they were stuck in a matter eating death cube and trying to escape they just accepted the situation and it became a poor man's Aniara.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This is a very subjective question but are there are GOOD adaptations of Junji Ito's work? I did not really enjoy the Netflix animated series that just came out; the animation was pretty crap and the pacing was way too frantic.

Are any of the live action films worth watching? I saw there's like a dozen Tomie movies, and I really enjoyed those original comics.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh yeah they did like a series for his shorts huh. Not surprised it sucks. Still waiting on that adult swim uzumaki. Maybe it'll be released when I'm like 60 years old

I always heard the live action Uzumaki is like...OK. never dared to try.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, live action Uzumaki is...fine, which probably makes it the best Ito adaptation by default.

I suppose it's because the original material is just so loving good that anyone else getting their hands on it feels like a step down.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

A Fancy Hat posted:

This is a very subjective question but are there are GOOD adaptations of Junji Ito's work? I did not really enjoy the Netflix animated series that just came out; the animation was pretty crap and the pacing was way too frantic.

Are any of the live action films worth watching? I saw there's like a dozen Tomie movies, and I really enjoyed those original comics.

Long Dream (2000)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Not a movie and not really horror, but if you want harrowing weird survival stuff : I just started Scavengers Reign and that poo poo is amazing.

I'm stealing that for the next time I want to complain about a movie.

I saw something on Scavengers Reign recently and thought it looked really good. I'll try to catch it when I re-up Max to binge 30 Coins season 2.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
There was an animated version of GYO though I've never seen it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, live action Uzumaki is...fine, which probably makes it the best Ito adaptation by default.
Uzumaki plays with the formal presentation in a way a still comic page never could; it's not a great movie but it's pretty good (obviously the source material helps do a lot of the heavy lifting), but there's some neat things going on in the frame that make it its own thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

Long Dream (2000)

Jeffree star?

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Unironically me when I'm sleep deprived

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
It's not technically horror but Red Rooms is the most unsettled and uncomfortable a film has left me in a while.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

I'm not sure there is.
I watched the first three Tomies and lost steam there.
The first one is solidly OK.
The "second" one is a made for TV anthology that's watchable but still very made for TV.
The second feature film is like the Ringu sequels. It features characters who don't know anything about Tomie spending the whole movie discovering Tomie but the audience already knows all this so it's kinda pointless.

I'll watch the whole Tomie series and report back to the thread if someone can point me to somewhere to watch them with subtitles.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the long-awaited adultswim Uzumaki adaptation still looks absolutely unreal, but it's been a long time coming so i hope it's not overcooked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRrqvjjKlOs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

TheMopeSquad posted:

There was an animated version of GYO though I've never seen it.

It had it's moments.