Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

Laguna is just the goofy dumbass that Squall could have been if he wasn't so traumatised and insecure

Ironically the same reason people like Zack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Bro its crazy how Answers still goes the hardest out of all the main themes of the FF14 expansions. I guess that's what you get when your song is the theme of the apocalypse.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

and then they circled back around and made it relevant to Endwalker too

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

Laguna is just the goofy dumbass that Squall could have been if he wasn't so traumatised and insecure

Counterpoint: Squall is traumatized and insecure because Laguna is a goofy dumbass.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

ImpAtom posted:

Both those statements are true but in a sense Laguna is far more like Cloud. The Shumi Elder basically spells it out for you - Laguna is not a man who is particularly good at anything. He's not a great speaker, he's not a great fighter, he sure is poo poo isn't super smart. And yet he has an undeniable charisma backed up by a good heart. Laguna never would have gotten into SOLDIER or even SeeD probably. Zack and Squall are both prodigies while Laguna and Cloud are far more normal and what makes them heroes is nothing other than their willpower and their inherent ability to lead others.

But other than that, FFVII and FFVIII are just wildly, wildly different stories. I like Cloud because I see a lot of Fei in him, which is unsurprising because of Xenogears being a early draft of FFVII. I've always felt Cloud has far more in common with Fei than he does any of his fellow FF leads. I really like that finding your true self message that is so central to them both. (maybe this is why P4 is my favorite Persona game. Never really thought about it)

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 14, 2023

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Laguna, a man not entirely built of traumas and insecurities. Just no PTSD at all and an absolute lady killer.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Gologle posted:

Bro its crazy how Answers still goes the hardest out of all the main themes of the FF14 expansions. I guess that's what you get when your song is the theme of the apocalypse.

a shame about the person who sung it

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Squall still has 'don't leave any hot dogs for the enemy' so he's not immune to being goofy.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If Zell simply eats all the hotdogs there will be none left for the enemy

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Zell was the glizzy goblin all along

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

The ending of FF7 is amazing, I've never forgotten the feeling of sitting and watching it, left wondering if humanity had done enough to survive, wondering if Midgar was green because we were doing better.

The final dungeon wasn't as good as VI or VIII, but the ending never left me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I like Zack because I'm also a Zach

I was devastated to learn that his name is "Zacks" in the original Japanese

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Ytlaya posted:

I like Zack because I'm also a Zach

I was devastated to learn that his name is "Zacks" in the original Japanese

Zack's what?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Zacks deez nuts

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

shoeberto posted:

Zack's what?

It's short for Zack Is Babygirl

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cavelcade posted:

The ending of FF7 is amazing, I've never forgotten the feeling of sitting and watching it, left wondering if humanity had done enough to survive, wondering if Midgar was green because we were doing better.

The final dungeon wasn't as good as VI or VIII, but the ending never left me.

Everything made after FF7 only diluted the setting and made FF7's ending worse.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

actually FF7R is good and hell so is crisis core

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

dirge of cerberus is funny therefore it is good

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

This is a dumb opinion.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nah it's all rear end up until Remake

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Crisis Core is good and cool, and my friend

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

No Dignity posted:

Nah it's all rear end up until Remake

Remake contains and is made up of all the parts before it. It's all good.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Are you counting the Japanese or Western releases? Trying to determine whether Men in Black or Event Horizon made FF7s ending worse.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I kinda miss the debate over whether humanity survived FFVII’s ending, which got immediately shut down as soon as Advent Children was announced.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Mordiceius posted:

Dilly-dally, shilly-shally

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HD DAD posted:

I kinda miss the debate over whether humanity survived FFVII’s ending, which got immediately shut down as soon as Advent Children was announced.

It was interesting but honestly it was always going to come down on "humanity survives." The context of the ending is that Holy and Meteor are BOTH about to go off, and the Lifestream comes up and pushes them away from the planet, with the final shot being Aerith looking up and smiling. It was ambiguous enough you could argue since we didn't see any humans in the post-credit scene but I think even before AC most people just assumed humanity survived (the children laughing at the end being the popular argument.)

(To be honest I remember a lot of the arguments from that time period and they tended to involve people assuming Holy and Lifestream were the same thing because most of us were dumb teenagers arguing about a poorly translated game.)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Remake contains and is made up of all the parts before it. It's all good.

sorry but i played dirge of cerberus all the way through multiple times on purpose so I have first hand evidence that this is not true

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
If it was bad why'd you play it repeatedly?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

welcome posted:

Brotha this is not the thread to ask this question

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

welcome posted:

I was 12 and my mom wouldn't rent me another game from blockbuster until the rental period expired

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

cock hero flux posted:

I was 12 and my mom wouldn't rent me another game from blockbuster until the rental period expired

Condolences.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ojjeorago posted:

Dilly-dally, shilly-shally

The actual story behind that line is really interesting (to me at least.) In the original Japanese, the line is (something like) "zuru-zuru zuru-zuru", which apparently is a Japanese idiomatic onomatopoeia of the sound of dragging a heavy object across the floor - think of the scraping sound of moving something in a Resident Evil game. In context, Tifa is bitching at Cloud for dragging all that emotional baggage behind him. I remember watching a bootleg of the Japanese dub of Advent Children and wondering how the gently caress they were going to translate that, so while "Dilly-dally silly shally" is kind of a stupid line, it's also a heroic effort in localization.

jokes posted:

welcome posted:

Brotha this is not the thread to ask this question

Final Fantasy Megathread: If it was bad why'd you play it repeatedly?

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 14, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
the thing about zack, especially in all his appearances after the original, is he's just a typical goofball anime protagonist. there's no complexity or intrigue to him at all.

and that's fine because he's just supposed to be a role model cloud is desperately trying to live up to and can't, that's what makes him work as part of cloud's story. he's the guy you'd expect to be the hero of FF7, and one of the reasons it's a good story is that he isn't.

so i dunno about making him a more important standalone character in rebirth. i definitely don't think he should be replacing cloud cos he's whitebread.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'd put good money on part 3 being called Reunion and at least as much about Cloud and Zack being reunited as the whole Jenova thing

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Final Fantasy Megathread: If it was bad why'd you play it repeatedly?

:emptyquote:

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
If there were a VIII Remake I'd want the Garden campus to be HUGE. Dozens of classrooms with the walls detailed with everything from elementary school age colors and posters all the way up to stuffy college lecture halls. A gigantic library and expansive dorms with different zones of kids hanging out. Multiple tiered parking lot. Of course the admin floors would be just as detailed as the classrooms and dorms. Just give me a whole huge school full of character and history. And then make it fly later.

Of course all the rest of the locations would be like four little zones each but who cares? Make Garden a place to really love.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cafeteria worker minigame where you have to serve hot dogs at the lunch rush

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The lunch rush is just a Dynasty Warriors style beat-em-up

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

RareAcumen posted:

The lunch rush is just a Dynasty Warriors style beat-em-up

No, it's a light gun game where you fire hot dogs into Zell's mouth.

(This serves as a tutorial for the same controls later being used for Angelo Cannon.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
In the JP script for FF8, was it still hot dogs? Or was it something like yakisoba pan?