Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Big Mac posted:

This Best Buy sale is pretty hardcore, there's a lot of stuff I'm seeing in the sub $10 range that I'm gonna struggle not to buy.
I snagged 4Ks of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Creed III and Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse and saved like $59 in the process lmao. I also wanted to get The Godfather and The Exorcist but held off on those 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Fast X and D&D for me. I had a lot of the stuff that was on deep discount, and a few things I wanted were sold out. That’s what I get for not lollygagging on the forums!

I may try and save 4 bucks on a Christmas Story pricematch though.

Thanks for posting, CTS!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I did not have $46 to spend, most of it was on credit but it's not like that's free money or anything.

But i will never have another chance for those Warner 4ks at $10. WITH slips.

I am gonna miss going into that store.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

everything i want is not available for shipping. why even bother showing it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Sadly the only ones I would have definitely grabbed, Ferris Bueller and 10 Cloverfield Lane, aren't on sale, but that Rebel Without A Cause is a steal. Unfortunately, I already own it!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

dorium posted:

probably something to know about that Goodfellas 4K

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/GoodFellas-4K-Blu-ray/161258/

this is the one to get currently in HD

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/GoodFellas-Blu-ray/139078/

what I'm not gonna do is read that

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

TheScott2K posted:

I have the 4K of Goodfellas and I thought it was fine, you'll probably be okay.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

Lol for some reason

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

PinkoBastard posted:

Lol for some reason

finally replaced my hddvd of goodfellas I'm not taking that poo poo back to the store

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there a way to tell if I received a countefeit copy of a disc from Amazon? I got Past Lives, but it was packaged in its own plastic separate from the other disc in the order and it doesn't have the digital code slip inside, which makes me concerned that it's a counterfeit or at least repackaged somehow. Any tips?

To follow up on this, I got another copy of the film from Amazon and it contains the digital code. The covers are also color balanced differently, with the counterfeit being a bit more red. Now I wonder how many of my discs are counterfeit.

loving dumpster rear end Amazon, man. Aside from directly from a boutique, where's a good reliable online vendor? I would rather pay a bit more for peace of mind than to doubt the authenticity of my purchases.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

GrandpaPants posted:

To follow up on this, I got another copy of the film from Amazon and it contains the digital code. The covers are also color balanced differently, with the counterfeit being a bit more red. Now I wonder how many of my discs are counterfeit.

loving dumpster rear end Amazon, man. Aside from directly from a boutique, where's a good reliable online vendor? I would rather pay a bit more for peace of mind than to doubt the authenticity of my purchases.

The disc publishers themselves and... well, Best Buy.

For however long such a thing can last.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

pwn posted:

I did not have $46 to spend, most of it was on credit but it's not like that's free money or anything.

But i will never have another chance for those Warner 4ks at $10. WITH slips.

I am gonna miss going into that store.

I also grabbed Casablanca, hard to turn down a $10 Bogie classic. And nothing but love for Howard the Duck yes indeed.

I am offended Wrath of Khan and the Gamera trilogy weren't on sale, outrageous.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Use Orbit DVD, Diabolik, Grindhouse Video for your movie purchases. They will treat you right. Hamilton Books is good too. Mostly limited stock but they end up with oop titles a lot of the time, which is great if you slept on the release when it originally came out and don't want to pay second hand market prices. There are some good eBay sellers too, like Valhalla Group and Goodie Emporium. They are more expensive, but usually have some titles that are sold out at the other distros I mentioned above or titles that aren't carried by them for reasons (licensing deals) so I use them in a pinch. As for Amazon, unless it's sold directly by Amazon, there's a decent chance that it's a bootleg, so watch the seller information before dropping some money on a title. Otherwise Amazon is trash. Aside from those places, you can use Target, Barnes & Noble and (for the time being) Best Buy.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/thedigitalbits/status/1724804397912457307?s=46
https://x.com/jordanmaison/status/1724805227021480390?s=46
Start saving your pennies. Box art is…. Fine

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ultraviolence123 posted:

As for Amazon, unless it's sold directly by Amazon, there's a decent chance that it's a bootleg, so watch the seller information before dropping some money on a title. Otherwise Amazon is trash.

The bootleg was sold by Amazon.com Services, LLC, so being sold by Amazon is NOT an indicator of the authenticity of the disc.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

GrandpaPants posted:

The bootleg was sold by Amazon.com Services, LLC, so being sold by Amazon is NOT an indicator of the authenticity of the disc.

Yes, Amazon just dumps their own stock with stock from third party sellers so you never know if what you’re getting is a bootleg or not.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
reminder that if the best buy low price is in-store only (kinda useless) and you miss the small windows amazon price matches, check ebay sellers, usually someone is price matching there too.

or how i stopped worrying and bought strangelove

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

dorium posted:

https://x.com/jordanmaison/status/1724805227021480390?s=46
Start saving your pennies. Box art is…. Fine

Yeah I don’t get the choice for this box art. It’s just boring.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

Seriously, I hate Amazon.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Wait are they releasing in December or March?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kingtheninja posted:

Hard to believe it would be December, that would mean only about a month between announcement and release. March sounds more reasonable.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Basebf555 posted:

Hard to believe it would be December, that would mean only about a month between announcement and release. March sounds more reasonable.

I hope so, December (5th specifically) is already crammed for me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s almost certainly December, I’m guessing that first tweet is just using the day/month/year date format.

They’re doing screenings of the Aliens remaster on December 6th and these have been rumored to be December releases for a while now.

edit: nevermind, the actual answer is even worse!

https://twitter.com/jordanmaison/status/1724812662515605683?s=46&t=YuqSROOCXrcRx1gn_5vV7Q

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kingtheninja posted:

Digitally out in December (with a 1 time screening of The Abyss theatrically the same month) then out on physical in March.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

zer0spunk posted:

reminder that if the best buy low price is in-store only (kinda useless) and you miss the small windows amazon price matches, check ebay sellers, usually someone is price matching there too.

or how i stopped worrying and bought strangelove

oh my god I somehow didn't realize Strangelove was on sale. picking that up after work

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

God damnit I want to upgrade my From Dusk Till Dawn DVD to Blu-ray and the baseline catalog release bluray is like $10, but the specific foreign steelbook I’d rather have is $200+ on eBay, fuuuuuck :rodimus:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/Criterion/status/1724835695494123999?s=20

THE HEROIC TRIO (IN 4K) IN THE CRITERION COLLECTION THIS IS NOT A DRILL!!!!!!

pwn
May 27, 2004

ultraviolence123 posted:

Use Orbit DVD, Diabolik, Grindhouse Video for your movie purchases. They will treat you right.

And Bullmoose.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

dorium posted:

:hellyeah:

Day one purchase for me.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
What the gently caress I just saw the full post. What the gently caress Jim!?!! Let’s go!

It sounds like at least one of ‘em will be a dud from someone in this thread or Twitter. Can’t recall. But yooooo!

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 15, 2023

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I want all of these except avatar in 4k but the box art is pretty bad. I'll probably stick the Aliens 4k in my quadrilogy set anyway.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

True Lies has aged like cookout potato salad but the current North American physical release is a non-anamorphic DVD so that's great.

Alien$ and The Abyss, insta-buys.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Anyone have a recommendation of which version and/or collection to buy of the six original Star Trek films? I'm not interested in the other seven.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mr E posted:

I want all of these except avatar in 4k but the box art is pretty bad. I'll probably stick the Aliens 4k in my quadrilogy set anyway.

That’s exactly what I’m going to do.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

LiterallyATomato posted:

Anyone have a recommendation of which version and/or collection to buy of the six original Star Trek films? I'm not interested in the other seven.

I’m not a 4K expert or anything, but I think the newer 4K set looks really nice. They fixed the color grading from the old lovely blu-rays and they have a ton of special features.

There’s also a stand-alone 4K set just for The Motion Picture that iirc has some extra stuff the box set doesn’t have.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 16, 2023

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wow, I never expected Jim would actually make that sort of payoff with The Abyss and True Lies, plus Aliens!

And we're almost certainly getting The Terminator next year for its 40th anniversary. Now if we can finally get a proper ultimate Terminator 2 with both a decent master AND all the extras...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m not a 4K expert or anything, but I think the newer 4K set looks really nice. They fixed the color grading from the old lovely blu-rays and they have a ton of special features.

There’s also a stand-alone 4K set just for The Motion Picture that iirc has some extra stuff the box set doesn’t have.

Worth pointing out the only exclusive for the gift set of TMP is a Blu-ray with the home video version newly remastered/reconstructed and a featurette on the versions. The 6-film 4K set includes both the theatrical and director's cuts of TMP, as well as DCs of II and VI.

dorium posted:

For once Criterion is going to get overshadowed, but I cannot recommend Nothing But a Man enough. I saw it in film class almost 20 years ago and it's one of the best films I've ever seen that nobody talks about now.

Likewise, The Roaring Twenties is an essential 30s Warner noir and worth a blind buy, especially with the new restoration and 4K disc. Cagney and Bogart are so loving good in it.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Stoked but that Aliens box art sucks complete rear end. Looks like a Farscape episode

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Aliens and the Abyss finally.

Agreed the covers look like rear end. Is there a site that does custom inserts for films with just the poster art?

pwn
May 27, 2004

(Taps the sign)

pwn posted:

Every time a layout artist attempts to save a .psd using original poster art their hdd corrupts. This is why they are so careful to never ever use original poster art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

There you go

Never doubted