Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

X1C + PETG + Bambu slicer: Can anyone help me figure out why this went from matte to shiny (what I want) about 1/5 of the way up? I've watched a couple videos on this and they've pointed to speed and flow changes, but there are none here. The closest thing is fan speed. Would that do it, too?

Speed

Flow

Fan Speed

Easiest way to deal with it is to turn down max volumetric speed in the filament profile, below where you change bed temps per filament.

If you turn it down to 3 or 4mvs you will get much more even and cleanly stacked layers. Granted you will also print way slower but that's just how it goes with faster print speeds and most materials. You may also get the max flow view to even out at a bit higher MVS but I have found good results with 3 or 4 on petg and PLA.

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Tiny Timbs posted:

Here’s what it looks like:

Let us know if fiddling MVS as suggested helps. That's a very clear shift in the look of the filament, all right.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I think I'm gonna give Mean Green a go in my resin setup. I really, really hate having so many litres of isopropyl alcohol.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

i want to print a jet engine model for a gift and i'm still so new to 3d printing (using an x1c), what's the best way to learn how to use supports to print? and should i be using a different material just for the supports or...?

If you have the AMS (you should), then you can print in PLA and use PETG for your support interface material.

Under the filament for supports, you can make that change.

It's recommended to use the primary filament for the base, and the PETG for the interface. This will reduce the PETG that gets thrown away just for supports, and should reduce filament swaps, depending on the model geometry.

If you do this, make sure you set the interface spacing to zero and z distance to zero.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I have some models that I was going to share for free and was wondering which site would be the "best"; I'm fully aware that the content will likely get scraped and rehosted by other unscrupulous actors but as far as a good semi-permanent home would be, is Printables leading the pack now? Most of the links to models that I see nowadays seem to be going there.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I like Printables. MyMiniFactory and Cults3D I never really go to anymore unless a search sends me straight there.

Thingiverse is functional, at least :shrug:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Printables is number 1. Failing that I use yeggi as it's a nice search engine that greatest all of them

Myminifactory/Patreon for miniatures

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Listerine posted:

I have some models that I was going to share for free and was wondering which site would be the "best"; I'm fully aware that the content will likely get scraped and rehosted by other unscrupulous actors but as far as a good semi-permanent home would be, is Printables leading the pack now? Most of the links to models that I see nowadays seem to be going there.

You should upload it to Thingiverse, Printables, and Thangs, at minimum. Under YOUR name, and crosslink. Maybe Bambu's site too? Don't give people a place to upload in your stead.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Nerobro posted:

You should upload it to Thingiverse, Printables, and Thangs, at minimum. Under YOUR name, and crosslink. Maybe Bambu's site too? Don't give people a place to upload in your stead.

That's a good point actually, don't know why I didn't think about it. What do you mean by crosslink, link to the other hosted locations in the model information?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Printables has a good description of the different license types you can select. I mostly use CC w/ attribution and share-alike (meaning derivatives are allowed but have to abide by the same license)

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 15, 2023

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Listerine posted:

That's a good point actually, don't know why I didn't think about it. What do you mean by crosslink, link to the other hosted locations in the model information?

Yeah, link back to your github, link to the other hosts, or be sure to link back to you "main" site. If someone finds you on cults, they should be able to get to you on printables, or thingiverse. Or at minimum back to your homepage or github page.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Re: low power, the dlp resin printers are under 15W at full tilt.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Listerine posted:

as well as what other people have said, Printables lets you import models from your Thingiverse account, Cults also supports Thingiverse imports, and Makerworld supports imports from both Printables and Thingiverse, so you can upload the model once to Thingiverse and then share it across to the other sites with a minimum of effort

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 16, 2023

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The Eyes Have It posted:

Thingiverse is functional, at least :shrug:
Is it? It really almost wasn't the last time I tried uploading there. It kept doing things like loading a description from some other random upload. But that was like a year ago.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Just set up my X1C and ran a test print of this bionic mesh hand thing. Turned out amazing. So worth the price with how easy it is to get rolling and printing.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Scarodactyl posted:

Is it? It really almost wasn't the last time I tried uploading there. It kept doing things like loading a description from some other random upload. But that was like a year ago.

mostly functional

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I requested a quote for the Prusa PRO SLX nine days ago. Here's what I received today:

quote:

Dear customer,

This is an email confirmation that we have received your price quote request and it is currently in progress. We will respond as soon as possible.

Please take in consideration that we’re facing an increased number of price quote requests due to recent new product releases and reply times might be slower than usual.

Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any possible inconvenience caused.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Classic Prusa

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Just post the price on the product page cowards

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Price by quote only is very common for professional equipment. (Unusual for Prusa I suppose)

But if Prusa were following existing professional vendors' best practices, they'd not even acknowledge your request :v:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's also basically still a hard concept at this point so the BOM cost is probably not even fixed, it's a bit difficult to put a real hard price out there when you're still developing the thing

But yeah it doesn't matter because Prusa :v:

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
What value do you get from the tilting vat in the Pro SLX? Just using the dregs?

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

It's also in their consumer-grade SLA printer.

It supposed to help reduce the suction force when raising the print after a completed layer, which in turn theoretically reduces the amount of supports you need to stop the print from being dislodged from the build plate. At least I think that's the case.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried Resione for UV resin? I'm looking for a white, flexible resin that I could dye.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Snackmar posted:

I requested a quote for the Prusa PRO SLX nine days ago. Here's what I received today:

lol I got the same for the HT90

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A friend is looking at getting into printing for him and his kid. I only have experience with my venerable Rostock that I’ve been happily running and upgrading for a decade now. I still love it. But because of that, I can’t really help advise him too directly.

Is anyone able to recommend a few sweet spot printers at whatever price points there are running up to $1k? Like if there are community favorites at 300, 600, 900 or whatever?

If that notion is readily available. I really don’t know. I just don’t track it.

e: FDM. Build volume unknown because he’s not sure, but hopefully something they won’t outgrow immediately. Seems like that’s usually one of the first things to wish for more of.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 17, 2023

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Bad Munki posted:

A friend is looking at getting into printing for him and his kid. I only have experience with my venerable Rostock that I’ve been happily running and upgrading for a decade now. I still love it. But because of that, I can’t really help advise him too directly.

Is anyone able to recommend a few sweet spot printers at whatever price points there are running up to $1k? Like if there are community favorites at 300, 600, 900 or whatever?

If that notion is readily available. I really don’t know. I just don’t track it.

e: FDM. Build volume unknown because he’s not sure, but hopefully something they won’t outgrow immediately. Seems like that’s usually one of the first things to wish for more of.

Honestly Bambu Lab A1 Mini is very hard not to recommend as a starter printer. Then after that…just more of their line. I think it’s around $450? The P1S is great as well.

There are first party filaments and good documentation, and they’re basically good to go out of the box without hassle.

I think there are a lot of great options as well from types like Sovol and Elegoo, I just don’t have experience with them. Not sure how plug and play they are compared to Bambu Lab.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bad Munki posted:

I guess the best question is how old is the kid, and is this dad's project the kid is interested in, or the kid's idea that the dad is being supportive of?

Any of the Bambu printers are going to be pretty great in a 'I want a printer to print things' aspect. If this is going to be a hobby project where building it yourself and fiddling with things is more the goal, with neato plastic dinguses as a nice side benefit, the Prusa printers are pretty nice. If you want the latest in endless upgrade opportunities, and build costs doubling every month or two, Voron seems to be decent?

The Bambu P1p is $600 currently. The Prusa Mk3S+ kit is $650 currently. I had fun putting my prusa together over the course of a weekend, and it was a reliable 'I need a plastic dingus' printer for years before I upgraded to an X1C.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

I agree with Methylethylaldehyde! As an owner of a few printers, I'd recommend one of the Bambu offerings as mentioned. P1S or P1P probably would be ideal, especially with an AMS for ease of use/quality of life improvements.

My X1C+AMS has been working away for over a year now and I love it. I do love my Prusa Mk3s+ and Mk4 but they are vastly overpriced for the feature sets they provide over Bambu's current offerings!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The kid’s the driving factor but the dad also sees the opportunity here, for sure.

The kid’s in 6th grade at the moment and has a growing interest in tinkercad.

Knowing the kid, time to first print would ideally be minimal. Knowing the dad, messing with it down the road is not a bad situation. But also if it Just Works that’s fine too. I’ll have him give the bambu line a look.

Are those the ones that only like their own branded filament or will they take whatever? Also, any slicer lock-in with those?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Bad Munki posted:

The kid’s the driving factor but the dad also sees the opportunity here, for sure.

Knowing the kid, time to first print would ideally be minimal. Knowing the dad, messing with it down the road is not a bad situation. But also if it Just Works that’s fine too. I’ll have him give the bambu line a look.

Are those the ones that only like their own branded filament or will they take whatever? Also, any slicer lock-in with those?

They’ll take whatever filament, the slicer is called Bambu Studio which is great and there’s another open source slicer called Orcaslicer that folks really seem to like.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Awesome, thanks!

Still never gonna give up my Rostock v2->v4 though. I’ll be buried with that thing.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The best printer is the one that works and that you gave!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

If the kid's really into the idea of printing, see if there's a middle school robotics team in your area. The more advanced programs do a lot of custom 3d printed parts, and that's a great way to make the logical leap from trinkets to functional technology.

If you're in Michigan FIRST's FTC (FIRST Tech Challenge) is a middle school program, and outside of Michigan it's high school.

Not sure what the grade levels are for the Vex competitions, and not sure how much custom parts they allow.

I'm currently printing the redesigned midplane for my kid's team's bot because I am the only parent with an X1C and we don't have 40+ hours to spend on essential parts.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

NewFatMike posted:

The best printer is the one that works and that you gave!

It’s also nice knowing every inch of the thing inside and out. The initial 20-hour build, countless upgrades, the full tear down to put a completely new print head assembly along with a controller upgrade, and so on. No surprises.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I just bought a sovol sv06 after a multi year break from printing. It's excellent value and was printing the benchy gcode it came with after some very easy assembly in no time. But I found the open source software side of things a bit daunting and not completely obvious intially - ended up using cura which again took me a bit of time to work out how to use.

So for a beginner it's good but not perfect. Haven't used the bambu stuff but I think it has it's own software, which would definitely be easier for a beginner.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bad Munki posted:

In that case, whatever Bambu the budget will allow for will be the best bet. Almost all of the 'well, the Prusa can do that, if you buy X and spend time setting up Y' features are just baked into the Bambu. The camera and wifi cloud printing are the biggest quality of life features ever, since you can model the thing, slice it, send it, and watch it put down the first few layers so you know it'll be a good print, all without getting up from your computer desk.

The AMS is almost criminally handy to have, and actually works really well in my experience. Also it lets you do Hueforge https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmlI_8wOpE0 prints, which are incredibly cool for how easy they are to make once you figure out the trick to them.

P1S and AMS is about a grand shipped, which gets you a LOT of really cool printer features to grow into, instead of the prusa system of 'a lot of cool printer features you wish you had, but can't justify the time or money on now'.

No filament lock-in or slicer lock-in. There's even a phone app so you can check on your 10 hour 3d printed starwars lore accurate space 'sword' from work or school.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Splode posted:

I just bought a sovol sv06 after a multi year break from printing. It's excellent value and was printing the benchy gcode it came with after some very easy assembly in no time. But I found the open source software side of things a bit daunting and not completely obvious intially - ended up using cura which again took me a bit of time to work out how to use.

So for a beginner it's good but not perfect. Haven't used the bambu stuff but I think it has it's own software, which would definitely be easier for a beginner.

I see it sorta like this these days:

A user that wants an easy out of box experience and just print with not a lot of thinking: Get a Bambu
A user that wants an affordable printer with little or no tinkering: Get a Sovol SV06 or other similar Ender 3 clone of equal quality (rare)
A user that wants an affordable printer with much tinkering: Whatever Ender puts out
A user that wants a workhorse printer with unrivaled post-sales support: Get a Prusa
A user that wants balls to the walls speed and want to build it all themselves: Get a Voron or other similar DIY CoreXY kit

Of course I'm not really considering print farm users because they sorta have different needs, but lately from what I've seen it's been between Bambu for speed and Prusa for uptime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What's in the Sovol SV06 equivalent range?