Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

marumaru
May 20, 2013

homeless snail posted:

doing the calculus to determine if I should get way into scott pilgrim so I can appreciate the anime version of the thing I don't know anything about (except for playing the video game)

You only need to read the 6 comics + watch the movie (and optionally look into the references the comics and movie make) to be able to partially enjoy the scott pilgrim anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah. but I could be watching fuwamoco instead

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

homeless snail posted:

yeah. but I could be watching fuwamoco instead

what if scott said bau bau

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

does he do that

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You'll have to watch and find out

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

scott pillsgay (epic)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Scott the Woz

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Scott-pilled (I have not watched the anime)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Scott-pilled (I have not watched the anime)

Its good and Im still loving all the silly Toronto references.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think you'd really have to watch the scott pilgrim movie to get an understanding of what the anime would be working off given the movie doesn't really focus on anyone but scott and its version of scott, ramona and knives is kind of different from the comics. it's an okay edgar wright movie if you like those though

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Bones is going to be announcing a new project at Anime NYC at a panel on the top of the hour

looks like its the magical girl series by the inu x boku mangaka, who passed away in 2015. apparently they were going to adapt it back then and it got put on hold until now?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the scott pilgrim video game is genuinely the poo poo tho

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 18, 2023

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
if youre going to watch an edgar wright movie i suggest baby driver

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Weird way to spell Hot Fuzz.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i love stunt driving op

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

baby driver is his worst film imo

ok actually i haven't seen soho and i hear that's worse

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Weird way to spell Hot Fuzz.

Or Shaun of the Dead

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
that's incorrect, because scott pilgrim vs. the world is much worse

marumaru
May 20, 2013

cornetto trilogy, losers

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i should take the time to see hot fuzz and shaun of the dead and id love a suggestion, of which has more stunt driving

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont love baby driver or the scott pilgrim movie that much but between the two at least one isn't taking material with some relatively interesting aspects and mostly shaving off all the parts that make it interesting. scott pilgrim is a lot more boring to me because scott is just, the most boring character in scott pilgrim, and when you remove everyone else from the equation you don't even get to the parts of him that are kind of neat. you need the focus on everyone else to highlight the fact that scott feeling like everyone else is a part of his life that he is the main character of and everyone should be focusing on him at all times, and not other people living their own lives, is his main problem

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 18, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ohtori Akio posted:

i love stunt driving op

So watch Hot Fuzz it's got high speed car chases and swans.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i didnt like baby driver much, felt like the music gimmick gets increasingly weaker in execution after the opening sequence and it didnt have much else going for it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ohtori Akio posted:

i should take the time to see hot fuzz and shaun of the dead and id love a suggestion, of which has more stunt driving

how do you feel about swans

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

drat, beaten

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Runa posted:

how do you feel about swans

theyre alright.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tales of Woe posted:

i didnt like baby driver much, felt like the music gimmick gets increasingly weaker in execution after the opening sequence and it didnt have much else going for it

The music gimmick feels like it should be the whole point and it's just not, there's no real moment of catharsis with it and only a couple of sequences truly take advantage of it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Peter Ian Staker.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a big part of why i kind of hate the end of the scott pilgrim movie honestly. having it shaved down so hard, plus making it explicitly him saving ramona at the end and ramona being at gideon's mercy, and scott's big cool moment is him going from being a lame pushover to being cool and confident, kind of completely belies how his exact problem in the comic was always fooling himself into thinking he was hot poo poo because he felt incapable of existing without someone to make him feel special or important and when he loses that he turns into a pathetic sniveling wreck desperate for affection, trying to get it out of all the women he's known who he thinks have ever given it to him, and ramona separates from him for a bit because she entirely recognizes that's what's happening and feels bad about it

marumaru
May 20, 2013

finished scott pilgrim anime. it was seriously good. much much better than what i expected (i expected it to be bad)
they actually address the movie being not that good as a canon event with in-universe explanations. it's a great twist on the series
disclaimer: scott pilgrim holds a special place in my heart because i followed it through my formative ya years AND i love edgar wright's work, so,

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

no but the staff did go on to work on symphogear

That's amazing. Who specifically

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Willo567 posted:

That's amazing. Who specifically

Thomas Romain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Romain

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

nice

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

neat!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have seen enough... the captain tylor OVA... is fail

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Scott pilgrim is gay (in the bad way)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have the book of him reinterpreting his kids' doodles into top shelf professional watercolor paintings and it's super super good, everyone should get it. It's one of my favorite books I own
https://a.co/d/9E8YCJ7

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Watched three episodes of the new Scott Pilgrim anime, very interested to see how this goes with the whole Ramona focus thing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The 7th Guest posted:

i have seen enough... the captain tylor OVA... is fail

It's basically a part one that never got a part two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it doesn't deserve one