Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Netdecks outside of straight aggro and good card soup are often just cool brews that are actually good. Look at Cephalid Breakfast, a glass cannon meme combo deck that was around for a decade or longer before someone combined it with a Stoneforge/Urza's Saga package turning it into a really hard to disrupt Tier 1 deck. I imagine a lot of netdeck haters roll their eyes if they get paired against it in the legacy queue, but at its core it's still an incredibly jank 4-card combo that some brewer came up with because it was fun and ridiculous. I imagine there are a hundred undiscovered combos like it out there and probably somebody is working really hard on turning one of them into the deck to beat of 2025 right now. I think that's a great thing about the game, but it's obviously harder in standard where the card pool is more shallow and the designers have presumably given a lot more thought to how the cards should interact.

I do think there's currently a problem with overpowered cards that just go into every deck that can play them. I was trying to come up with a viable UB faeries deck after seeing a lot of bad versions in the ladder, and my winrate went up a lot when I realised that playing a couple copies of Sheoldred, the Apocalypse was usually way better than Talion, Kindly Lord. The standard meta has quite a few decks that are viable right now, but a lot of shared cards between them so it can feel a bit samey. But I don't think it's quite as dire and stale as some, and the new set has only just released so I imagine we'll be seeing some innovation in the weeks to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think if you just want to Do The Thing, instead of winning, then you're probably not complaining about netdecking You probably know your deck isn't good and you're just doing it for fun and if you happen to win with your gimmick, even better. If you want to focus on winning more than Doing The Thing, and you're complaining about netdecking though, lol.

Explorer seems like the best format for doing the thing though. There are some strong tier 1 decks, but nobody seems to take it super seriously so people just play a lot of jank. Like you will still see mono-g karn and rakdos midrange but there's just so much fun jank. And some tier 1.5/2 decks that feel like jank, like enigmatic incarnation. It does feel like the most diverse format on Arena, even more than Historic Brawl.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Sorry, wrong thread

How! fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 15, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A Moose posted:

I think if you just want to Do The Thing, instead of winning, then you're probably not complaining about netdecking You probably know your deck isn't good and you're just doing it for fun and if you happen to win with your gimmick, even better.

When I was playing Arena a couple years ago that's basically how I was playing and it was fine. I never spent money, though, and what burned me out eventually was the same thing that burned me out of lots and lots of other games, which was the necessity of grinding away at dailies. I've got a really low tolerance anymore for just faffing away at something boring for a long time in order to unlock the good stuff that I want to do.

That said, the other thing I didn't like was that my favorite decks eventually became unplayable due to rotation. I think I logged in one day, looked at all my decks I couldn't play any more unless I did one of the brutal historic formats or whatever it is, and just sighed and logged off and that was it.

Vidmaster posted:

I really like Arena because it makes the level of effort to build lots of goofy decks minimal (wildcards and $$$ aside), and I don't need to spend hours digging through a box of junk, trading, or ordering singles for whatever I'm doing.

This was it for me, basically. I enjoyed doing fun things with magic cards and then playing them out to see how they went, fully cognizant that I was going to get beat a lot but you know, playing standard Bo1 at bronze or silver and not worrying about doing better than that I also faced plenty of janky weird decks too. I have to imagine living at platinum and diamond is a totally different experience but I didn't see the point in trying to do that with a free to play account that I was logging in to about two or three times a week.

I appreciated Arena for supporting a casual play style that I liked and that play style is viable to do on Arena, if you give up on trying to get achievements, climbing ranking ladders, or collecting all the stuff and just focus on fiddling around with whatever cards you happen to get... which is also the casual paper format experience that I enjoyed in the mid to late 1990s, but far more convenient.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

GoutPatrol posted:

play mono b in pauper, you've never win again

as I cry on my oubliettes

Black Devotion? 👎
Mono-Black Burn? 👍

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I wasn't really complaining about netdecking with my comments about black and/or the midrange multicolor morass. I netdeck. I do my own brewing. Whatever.

I'm just exceedingly tired of the same cards showing up in seemingly every deck, especially since we're stuck with some of them for an extra year. Like there's no punishment at all for just throwing Virtue in if you're already playing black. And you dont even have to be specifically "playing" black to just splash it in.

I dunno. As is often the case in this thread, I don't feel like I'm articulating what specifically annoys me very well. I will say, though, that I have no intention of, like, taking a break from the game or whatever. There's plenty of play in Explorer and Historic and limited and I usually keep it pretty well mixed up after I hit Plat in constructed. It was just an offhand comment about how much I'm less interested in Standard after their supposed improvement to the format.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I have one weird ask that's kind of related to netdecking (on arena) that I think they could fix pretty easily. I wish they would add a button in the options somewhere that makes the game ignore the supposed power level of your deck and just matchmake your games as if you were queuing up with one of the most powerful decks in the format.

I think they've ended up with a situation where the top decks are able to excessively load up on narrow answers for the other top decks, because they tend to not get matched up with lesser tier decks all that often. When you brew up a jank deck that you think has a novel way to deal with one or more of the top tier decks, the game then starts matching you up with lifegain angels or the like.

Playing in ranked helps a bit, of course. If your deck really is that good you'd rank up. Or if it's only good against meta decks you can just climb ranks with a top tier deck yourself until you get up to the ranks where you run into a lot of meta decks.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

A Moose posted:

Explorer seems like the best format for doing the thing though. There are some strong tier 1 decks, but nobody seems to take it super seriously so people just play a lot of jank. Like you will still see mono-g karn and rakdos midrange but there's just so much fun jank. And some tier 1.5/2 decks that feel like jank, like enigmatic incarnation. It does feel like the most diverse format on Arena, even more than Historic Brawl.

it is secretly the best constructed format on arena. it's also the least played according to wizards lol, there's probably a correlation between that and it being the brewer's format. if they do anything meaningful to make non-standard cards more accessible so it's not just people who got in on the ground floor, it will probably get really sweaty really fast

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah for quick quest wins i play Gyarados Combo in explorer lol

Edit wait that's a pokemon i mean this

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wish they had a bundle for old land cycles, I know why they don't but I'd slam that purchase to have access to more formats without playing a game of downgrading manabase first.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Khanstant posted:

I wish they had a bundle for old land cycles, I know why they don't but I'd slam that purchase to have access to more formats without playing a game of downgrading manabase first.

The entire arena economy seems to really does seem to work against what players want to do. Arena is fine, but it could have been loving awesome.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah for quick quest wins i play Gyarados Combo in explorer lol

Edit wait that's a pokemon i mean this

Post the dang list

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sheldon Menery was right, Elesh Norn Mother of Machines should be banned from all commander formats lmao, what a loving hoser

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Procrastinator posted:

Post the dang list

It is a modified version of a Pioneer deck that functions much better when you have Sylvan Caryatid instead of Llanowar Loamspeaker and Dragonlord Kolaghan insted of the Kaldheim "we have Kolaghan at home". It's very much spin to win, you can win by dumping your whole deck and hasting in, or by milling your opponent out, or you could just brick on the first Gyruda trigger and die lol

Companion
1 Gyruda, Doom of Depths (IKO) 221

Deck
2 Boseiju, Who Endures (NEO) 266
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
1 Darkbore Pathway (KHM) 254
1 Island (ANA) 4
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
3 Gyruda, Doom of Depths (IKO) 221
2 Llanowar Wastes (BRO) 264
4 Mirrorhall Mimic (VOW) 68
1 Otawara, Soaring City (NEO) 271
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
1 Port of Karfell (KHM) 265
1 Shipwreck Marsh (MID) 267
4 Spark Double (WAR) 68
1 Swamp (MIR) 340
4 Undercover Operative (SNC) 63
3 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
4 Wispweaver Angel (KLR) 37
4 Wolfwillow Haven (THB) 205
3 Yavimaya Coast (DMU) 261
1 Zagoth Triome (IKO) 259
3 Doomskar Titan (KHM) 130
1 Forest (ANA) 10
4 Llanowar Loamspeaker (DMU) 170

Sideboard
1 Gyruda, Doom of Depths (IKO) 221

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

I think that it's a combination of a ton of people being able to jam a ton of games on Arena meaning that the best cards and decks bubble up sooner, and the overall increase of power level meaning that the top end outliers, the best of the best cards, are so much better than 2 and 2.5 tier type cards that it gets frustrating.

Part of brewing is feeling like you have a punchers chance and between the two of the above, it quickly becomes apparent that you don't.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

kalel posted:

it is secretly the best constructed format on arena. it's also the least played according to wizards lol, there's probably a correlation between that and it being the brewer's format. if they do anything meaningful to make non-standard cards more accessible so it's not just people who got in on the ground floor, it will probably get really sweaty really fast

Seems to me that Pioneer on MTGO also has a fairly diverse meta where you'll regularly see oddball decks on the 5-0 trophy list. That translates reasonably well to Explorer.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN4Z5Jp2ZYQ&hd=1

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I want to see an inverse of the video where he tries it with transmogrant's crown.
"I have three cards in hand"

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Make Murdergoats Great Again or something or other.

Or make the power across rarities flatter.

Or make all cards cheaper.

All of these things really, Tymaret and Trading Post support in every standard.

Abolish the Reserved List

This is not a 100% serious post

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Make Murdergoats Great Again or something or other.

Or make the power across rarities flatter.
Jim McMahon approving

quote:

Or make all cards cheaper.
Jim McMahon excited

quote:

Jim McMahon falling out of his chair

quote:

This is not a 100% serious post
Jim McMahon cutting off the interview, emotionally.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

HootTheOwl posted:

Jim McMahon approving

Jim McMahon excited

Jim McMahon falling out of his chair

Jim McMahon cutting off the interview, emotionally.

Jim McMahon, the dril avatar lookalike?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Actually though.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

does, say: nicol-bolas, the ravager + everflowing well + new ixalan god, work the way you'd want it to?

ie, have nicol-bolas and myriad pools on the field -> cast Ojer Pakpatiq with the pools mana -> turn nicol bolas into a copy of pakpatiq -> legend rule keep the real one -> bolas returns to the battlefield as the planeswalker

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

ok I booted up sparky and it does work, looks like

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yes that works if I have you right.
You want Boals to be a copy of one of the new return gods, kill it to the legend rule, and then use the trigger to have it return to the battlefield transformed (PW side up?)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Lhazotep convert as one of the new gods also infinitely returns to the battlefield as lhazotep convert which you can pick that same god in the graveyard again. Need an actual sac outlet but once you've got one, it's infinite.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i wrote a huge effort post for something that's probably not that deep so i'll just post my shortened version. anyone's reply is welcome but it is about pauper.

i am playing mono blue faeries with no pump spells except a single saiba cryptomancer. i just have a bunch of bounce spells so i can bounce away my enemy's creatures or bounce my own. (snap, echoing truth, curfew, mistblade shinobi). i am still playing 3 brinebarrows for combat tricks.

my opponent is playing azorious caw gates splashing black to play suffocating fumes. i sideboarded in 4 hydro/bebs in game 2 thinking he would bring in pyro/rebs but i never saw a single red card. this is just to say he has none of those as a counter against me.

in the third game: after he has cast his first squadron hawk, he puts 3 hawks into his hand. i play my turn and i have 2 of my 4 islands untapped. i hold dispel and counterspell.

he untaps on his turn and plays brainstorm. playing i was pretty sure you counter this 100% of the time but thinking about it now with my deck, is it better to counter the hawk that he's going to cast this turn and get him for another extra turn when he has to draw the hawk he placed on top of his deck? or is giving this deck 3 cards too good for them? especially if they draw a counterspell or prismatic strands

back to brainstorm, if we counter, do we ever use counterspell over dispel?

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Depends on boars state and life totals, if you could counter two hawks then I'd be more likely to go for it. Do they play spell pierce? Do they have four mana? Cause if they can go hawk / spell pierce I would dispel the brainstorm and not try to get cute with countering the hawks

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
In a vacuum, I would say that I would counter the Brainstorm with the Dispel if the opponent has not yet found a Basilisk Gate, and think long and hard what your options are against a stream of resolved Hawks versus leaving yourself open to them sneaking in a Guardian in if your shields are down if they have. 4 Hawks is a lot of threats but depending on your hand and board you can beat 4 Hawks, even with Basilisk's Gate, but you're not beating a Guardian unless you can win the race. If you can avoid folding immediately to the known Hawks, I'd still hit the Brainstorm, otherwise I'd go for the Counterspell on the Hawk if the have your number just with Birds + Gate and you just gotta hope they didn't find something better to do off the Brainstorm.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Went to a release sealed event (6player) at an LGS that is pretty laid back, friendly and on the non competitive side of things. Got pairings and one guy had his name as first name CRUSHER OF WILLS last name in the companion app. Played against him in the first round and he played quick and silent but from what I could tell clean. Where the other pairing had a bit of banter he was all business. Ended up losing against him but whatever. Played the next 2 rounds had a good time and ended up winning going 2-1-0 overall.

Now that caused a 3 way tie with me, CRUSHER, and James that wouldn't be resolved until the entire tournament end which was going long (one player hadn't played in 20 years and the other had a very slow deck). The prize being the 30th anniversary atarka.

After 5 minutes James decided that since he lost to me he wasn't in the running and left. After another 15 the last game finished and turns out the standings were James, CRUSHER, me. CRUSHER says to the TO that oh since James left I guess I get the promo card. Before the TO had a chance to think I interjected and said "James signed up online right, so you have his email and phone number right". TO agreed. CRUSHER left dejected

What would you guys have done? I was out of the running so it really didn't matter to me who got the card but I'll admit his name and how he played influenced my response.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

If someone is putting a pseudonym up like that, my first assumption is that they're doing a funny bit, not being 100% serious. Also, I'm not one for mid-game banter personally, even in laid-back games at things like prerelease.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

When I was at the MOM prerelease I barely had enough time to talk about the game state let alone anything else and I still had multiple games go to sudden death lol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'd think I'd hold it if I thought they were coming back and give it i didn't

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

This plays better than it looks.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

This plays better than it looks.

It looks like a 1 mana luminarch aspirant

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

It looks like a 1 mana luminarch aspirant

Now that’s a hoot take

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

That thing with a turn 2 bloodthorn flail will murder someone. Speaking from experience.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I mean it looks really good so saying that it plays even better than that ... it's a strong statement.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Now that’s a hoot take

In modern?
When your fetch every turn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

MasterBuilder posted:

Went to a release sealed event (6player) at an LGS that is pretty laid back, friendly and on the non competitive side of things. Got pairings and one guy had his name as first name CRUSHER OF WILLS last name in the companion app. Played against him in the first round and he played quick and silent but from what I could tell clean. Where the other pairing had a bit of banter he was all business. Ended up losing against him but whatever. Played the next 2 rounds had a good time and ended up winning going 2-1-0 overall.

Now that caused a 3 way tie with me, CRUSHER, and James that wouldn't be resolved until the entire tournament end which was going long (one player hadn't played in 20 years and the other had a very slow deck). The prize being the 30th anniversary atarka.

After 5 minutes James decided that since he lost to me he wasn't in the running and left. After another 15 the last game finished and turns out the standings were James, CRUSHER, me. CRUSHER says to the TO that oh since James left I guess I get the promo card. Before the TO had a chance to think I interjected and said "James signed up online right, so you have his email and phone number right". TO agreed. CRUSHER left dejected

What would you guys have done? I was out of the running so it really didn't matter to me who got the card but I'll admit his name and how he played influenced my response.

My LGS regularly has people leave before the tournament is over in these situations, they just give you the prize when you next come back, I think that's fairly normal.

Also when people say a card is performing well they should mention the format they mean.