Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The dry shake will aerate better than stirring, and the aeration will bring out more of the complex flavors in a drink with so many herbal properties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Bittercube Trinity bitters can be transformative for a basic cocktail. Baking spices and warm herbals abound. It's my favorite for Manhattans now, but for anything with Ango by default it should give something more thanksgiving-ey.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Anyone have any thanksgiving/holiday themed cocktails they like? I've been press-ganged to be the drink guy at this year's. I've got some options picked out (gonna go 1 boozy and 1 sweet) but figured it'd be good to ask. We all have SUPREMELY unrefined palates, like, I made Alabama slammers once and was treated like a king

I like Lost Souls punch for Thanksgiving. It's got a deep autumnal element.

Kenning posted:

I made a punch for my girlfriend's workplace party thing on Wednesday and it was exceedingly well-received. It's an original that was designed to evoke the harvest and the sometimes gloomy chill of autumn (even though I live in the Bay Area and it's been 70 degrees all week). I call it

Lost Souls Punch

2 750 ml bottles Calvados
1 750 ml bottle Belgian-style quad (use something brewed with plums or the like – I used Judgment Day Ale by the Lost Abbey, which uses raisins)
1 lb. turbinado sugar
16 oz lemon juice
Optional: the peels of 2 or 3 citrons
1 oz. absinthe (I used Mansinthe by Marilyn Manson, which is 66.6% abv.)
2 qt. water

Muddle the citron peels (or just use lemon peels it will be fine) with the sugar and let sit as long as possible. Bring 2 cups of the water to boil and then use to dissolve the sugar. Strain out the peels and allow to cool, then add the lemon juice, Calvados, and Belgian quad. Pour into a 7 quart bowl over a large block of ice and add the remaining water to taste. Allow to chill before service if possible.

If you want to do it up, a bit of dry ice chucked into the bowl makes it fog over and sizzle mysteriously.

A few years ago there was also a mania for the Legend cocktail in this thread, which also fits the bill, although it's much stronger.

vlad3217 posted:

I got some Nonino a little while back and this is the best one I found in my death & Co book using it so far

Legend
1 ounce Pierre Ferrand 1840 Cognac
.5 ounce Appleton Estate V/X Rum
.75 ounce Lustau Amontillado Sherry
.5 ounce Amaro Nonino
.25 ounce Rich Demerara Syrup
1 dash Bitter Truth Aromatic Bitters
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Comb Your Beard posted:

This punch post has been getting some buzz, positive and negative. https://punchdrink.com/articles/dons-mix-zombie-cocktail/

Basically it says use grapefruit essential oil and extract the cassia yourself in high proof alcohol for Don's mix, important part of a Zombie. Then super dilute and just make syrup. I like to use all the peel myself when I make a grapefruit preparation. Where you get the oil from.

Anybody ever worked with food grade essential oil? I have some lemon, it's better than extract imo.

I will say the youtube it links Art of Drink is amazing. I want a proper lab setup now with a separatory funnel hooked up to a vacuum. Also just bought his book.

This looks really interesting, but also I get leery when a recipe says poo poo like "NB: For safety reasons, the quantity and ratio of grapefruit essence should not be adjusted." for at home use. It's probably fine, and tbh it's not like bars are necessarily better (see all the bars using actual tobacco steeped in alcohol as bitters back when). But would make me nervous I think.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

barposting

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made a Coin Toss, which was Phil Wards bartenders choice cocktail at Death & Company. Base spirit could be anything, but I went with Rye

2 oz Old Overholt BiB 100 proof rye whiskey
.75 oz Carpano Antica Formula sweet vermouth
.25 oz Benedictine
.25 oz Yellow Chartreuse
2 dashes Peychauds

Stirred for a while and strained into a chilled rocks glass since I own no coupes.

Very nice. Maybe a bit sweet for some, but I like sweet cocktails if they have a boozy base.

Edit: nice bar

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 12, 2023

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Nice setup, Kostritzer out of a can is incredible.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

it's like $6.99 for 4 500ml cans too lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Koestritzer was the first beer I ever liked.

Currently having a Silver Monk without mint or cucumber since I didn't have any. Bit sweet for me, think I'll try again with those and lose the syrup. Conceptually on board though.

Last couple weeks I have discovered the Paloma and have been hard on those when not drinking hiyaoroshi sakes.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 12, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My place was built in 1978 and came with this minibar nook. I sometimes chuckle to myself and picture a guy with a handlebar moustache and bell bottoms offering to make a girl a drink here

Almost put a second fridge here but I guess liquor store turned out to be more important

Added IKEA cabinet up top

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 12, 2023

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
What is magic berry?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It’s a supernatural force. And don’t call me Barry.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Peeps ITT have a lot more booze than me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s a pill that tricks your tastebuds into perceiving sourness as sweetness for half an hour. Lemons and limes taste like sugar! Mainly a party trick

Nobody ever wants to try the powder that prevents you from tasting any sweetness for an hour. Pure sugar tasting like sand doesn’t quite kill at parties

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Anyone in Los Angeles/Orange County that would be interested in this bar? My friend is selling her house soon and trying to sell everything in it. It’s a custom made piece using whole birch

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
We doing bar posting? I inherited quite an extensive bar with my house, do really like it for this most part. I would change the brown mosaic backsplash tile, I think my wife would change way more, but that costs money, not a priority. Like to keep just my core bottles up top. When I moved in I took out a third shelf to actually make the cabinets usable for bottles.

Decided to do a rum tasting since I have some different stuff in the same category. Everything was neat.

Funky Jamaican - Smith and Cross vs Hamilton Pot Still Gold. Hamilton was much more pleasant. Not a fair fight neat with a 10% alc differential. Still surprised how harsh the Smith and Cross was neat, thought I liked it more. Apparently the Hamilton Black is not that different beyond the color.

Dem/Guyana - Lemon Hart vs. El Dorado 5. El Dorado by a hair. I think it might be literally the same rum and it's dosed more. It carries it more. Still would gladly buy either.

White Rum - El Dorado 3 (white) vs. Plantation 3 stars. El Dorado actually had more character. It goes in a different direction though than Plantation or even Probitas that I have had in the past. Think I'm converted. I like to mix with W&N Over white 1:1 for my house white.

The 2nd and 3rd pairings practically tasted like water after starting with the Smith and Cross.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 17, 2023

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made a Penicillin

1.5 oz Abelour A’bunadh Speyside Single Malt cask strength Scotch (59% abv)
.25 oz Ardbeg Wee Beastie Islay Single malt Scotch (47.4% abv)
.75 oz lemon juice
.5 oz 1:1 honey syrup
.25 oz Portland Syrup Ginger

Shaken in a tin, double strained.

I didn’t float the Ardbeg on top, which I’ll try next time. This is a great scotch cocktail in the vein of a sour, just like a Bobby Burns is like a manhattan. Would drink again.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Penicillins are great, but most people use cheaper blended scotch in them and then float or atomize something fancier on top. I use Johnny black and spray Laphroiag on top.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
has anyone tried Torani brown sugar cinnamon syrup, and if so, how is it? Their orgeat is pretty good.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Chemmy posted:

Penicillins are great, but most people use cheaper blended scotch in them and then float or atomize something fancier on top. I use Johnny black and spray Laphroiag on top.

I’m out of blended scotch and don’t really drink single malts neat anymore so I’m just using what I have in the bar. Made an other penicillin and floated the wee beastie on the top, I think I prefer it that way.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like making a Penicillin with Benedicine subbed for the honey syrup. It's plenty sweet for me and Benedicine has a distinct honey note so it works well.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I’d never gone for a Boulevardier despite liking both rye and Negronis, but went for Anders Erikson’s 2-1-1 ratio and it’s a much more balanced drink that way than 1-1-1 or even 1.5-1-1.

Doubtful a negroni is also better that way as he said, but got the rye down.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I finally got around to trying that milk powder milk washing technique. First try was a vieux carre, and it is definitely different. It certainly feels like it's been milk washed, also it tastes almost. Like a confection or butterscotch, but on top of a vieux carre. It's certainly very cool, I don't know if I like it more than the og cocktail but it's a fun trick and works well enough for me.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

has anyone tried Torani brown sugar cinnamon syrup, and if so, how is it? Their orgeat is pretty good.

We go through that one a lot in our household for espresso based drinks.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

I like making a Penicillin with Benedicine subbed for the honey syrup. It's plenty sweet for me and Benedicine has a distinct honey note so it works well.

I love this idea. I don't use honey syrup regularly enough to keep it on hand and I find it annoying to make honey syrup for 1 or 2 drinks.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I always just make the amount of honey syrup I need on demand. I have an electric kettle, so it’s trivial to boil some water and dilute down a half ounce of honey or whatever.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Horn posted:

I love this idea. I don't use honey syrup regularly enough to keep it on hand and I find it annoying to make honey syrup for 1 or 2 drinks.

Liber has a “fiery ginger syrup” that works great in a penicillin, it lasts a while in the fridge.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I tasted Benedictine and Drambuie side by side recently and I think they would both be excellent in a Penicillin. Drambuie is sweeter and less herbal though. Honey syrup is a pain in the rear end, I only make it an ounce or two at a time.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I don't have a fantastic taste for Scotch but I found that subbing the blended scotch with barrel strength bourbon and the islay with Rye makes for a really approachable and delicious variation.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
A Gold Rush with a rye float sounds awesome.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Take a 3oz piece of ginger and wash well. No need to peel. Rough chop and blend with about 4oz of hot water. Strain out the juice, pressing hard to get as much liquid out as possible. Measure the volume of ginger juice - looking for 5oz of ginger juice. Add more water if necessary. Add 8oz of honey by weight to ginger juice and stir well to combine.

Ratios I use are 2:5 ratio of whole ginger by weight:honey by weight. Then the juice:honey ratio is 2:3. I do 2lbs of ginger, 5lbs of honey, and that ends up being 52oz of ginger juice with the 5lbs of honey.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's that time of year, so I made both Alton Brown's aged eggnog and Greg from HTD's fat-washed buttered rum. For the latter, this year I used Plantation original dark and I skipped the immersion blender which gave me trouble last year, and just gave it a good whisk instead. So I was able to properly do the whole thing where there's a puck of butter and you pour the rum through it. I haven't had it hot yet, but good gosh this stuff is amazing already.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
After a not-fun experience being the designated bartender last year, I'm doing batch cocktails for the first time. Here's one I settled on from Batch Cocktails by Maggie Hoffman.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I love that book, I’ve made every recipe in it. They are sort of inconsistent because they are all from different bartenders but they tend to run pretty sweet across the board. Unchained Melody and Addison St are consistent crowd pleasers this time of year and aren’t super expensive.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

This is a decade old grudge, but she got rid of one of Will Gordon when she was an editor at serious eats, he was one of my favorite writers. It's silly and honestly I should get over it.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I finally got my hands on some citric acid to make Jeffrey Morgenthaler's lime cordial and fixed myself up a gimlet with it. Good stuff!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Now you can make some super juice. Get some malic acid too. Start peeling your citrus and freezing them to make citrus juices.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Lord Hydronium posted:

I finally got my hands on some citric acid to make Jeffrey Morgenthaler's lime cordial and fixed myself up a gimlet with it. Good stuff!

Haven’t used it yet, but I have a bottle of Leopold Bros sour lime cordial, which I’m plan to use in a margarita or a mai tai or maybe even a daiquiri.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Any cocktail suggestions that use ruby port so I can finish off this bottle I opened about a year ago? I’ve kept it in a dark cool place with wine preserver gas in the bottle, so it drinks fine but I wanna finish it off before it goes off and/or to clear some space in the bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Any cocktail suggestions that use ruby port so I can finish off this bottle I opened about a year ago? I’ve kept it in a dark cool place with wine preserver gas in the bottle, so it drinks fine but I wanna finish it off before it goes off and/or to clear some space in the bar.

The Coffee Cocktail rules:

https://www.liquor.com/recipes/coffee-cocktail/