Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I was watching chickam outside but I came inside and put it on my TV instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

^^^ LOL :) ^^^

Pearl *really* loved the pumpkin today.
So much so, that she unwisely climbed in...and, well...

https://youtu.be/ikita-hpUgI?si=0Q6uyeq7TSpaRjl6

...it rolled away with her inside.
She wasn't hurt, and Bobbie guarded her until the kid ran out and emptied an embarassed hen out of a pumpkin. She stayed away from it after that, though, silly chicken.

Spork and Popcorn going spelunking inside the pumpkin:

Also, Eggroll is roostering out quite nicely, and is beginning to grow lovely saddle feathers and a proper dinosaur frill over his eyes. And a BIG deep voice, tho no crowing yet.

Still no tail...

And yes, we're keeping his crossbeak trimmed. As you can see, it doesn't interfere with him eating.

Derp...

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Pearl! LOL

Our mama hen is still on her eggs. They should begin hatching within a couple days so she got the pasta box today. It’s just the right shape to be accessible for mama hen and I can turn it around at night so any hatchers won’t fall out of the nest. When they are hatching I’ll move the whole shebang into one of the coops that’s more chick-accessible.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
We have chicks!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Joburg posted:

We have chicks!

Momma bird don't like you near the chicks.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Joburg posted:

Pearl! LOL

Our mama hen is still on her eggs. They should begin hatching within a couple days so she got the pasta box today. It’s just the right shape to be accessible for mama hen and I can turn it around at night so any hatchers won’t fall out of the nest. When they are hatching I’ll move the whole shebang into one of the coops that’s more chick-accessible.

Great box for new babies!

This weekend Oct. 21-22 during daylight hours (PST) we'll be running Chickam again, broadcasting the wonderful Wheel of Food!
Join us as the flock stares in consternation at FOOD hung from a bicycle wheel so it spins when they peck it.

What the heck is Wheel of Food?
Here: https://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2015/01/wheeloffood.html

Go here and click the Jack's Henhouse icon on the left above the description, Chickam will start around 8AM (PST) both days.
https://www.youtube.com/cha.../UCr7ICWyIMhWSp0UUJpAeTCw/live

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chickam is live!
Today we have Wheel of Food.
Go here to watch, click on the Jack's Henhouse icon above the description, then click on the live feed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWFx0ZLMT3U

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
One of the roosters in the hen pen, Striper, just lost his goddamn mind and started scalping the girls, hurting about 5 in the course of 2 hours. He's never done anything like this before, so we're pretty dang stunned. Don't know what set it off but he is incredibly lucky that he's not the main course for dinner tonight. We moved him and Frankie out of the hen pen and moved Mouse, a younger, chiller, and prettier rooster, in to replace them. The injured hens are inside and only one is in dire shape, but we're keeping them calm, clean, warm, dry.

Then we heard Tiamat making the weeeeep-weeeeeep-weeeeeep-weeeep alarm call and sure enough, a 3-4 foot black racer smelled the blood and was trying to get in the hutch. The snake was gently relocated. Zapdos, the senior rooster, marched along the walls of the run the entire time, keeping himself between the hens and the snake (even though there was no way the snake could get through multiple layers of hardware cloth).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/K4urAgM.mp4

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Dienes posted:

One of the roosters in the hen pen, Striper, just lost his goddamn mind and started scalping the girls, hurting about 5 in the course of 2 hours. He's never done anything like this before, so we're pretty dang stunned. Don't know what set it off but he is incredibly lucky that he's not the main course for dinner tonight. We moved him and Frankie out of the hen pen and moved Mouse, a younger, chiller, and prettier rooster, in to replace them. The injured hens are inside and only one is in dire shape, but we're keeping them calm, clean, warm, dry.

Then we heard Tiamat making the weeeeep-weeeeeep-weeeeeep-weeeep alarm call and sure enough, a 3-4 foot black racer smelled the blood and was trying to get in the hutch. The snake was gently relocated. Zapdos, the senior rooster, marched along the walls of the run the entire time, keeping himself between the hens and the snake (even though there was no way the snake could get through multiple layers of hardware cloth).

Update on this: The girls inside are all recovering well. S'Blood is almost completely normal, we think she may have bonked her head trying to get away from Striper. I don't think Windlord's wing is broken, just a sprain or something; some cage rest should set her right.

Cinnamon Garbage's head wound was the smallest and she's totally normal today; just a few days inside for that to heal up so Zapdos or the inexperienced Mouse don't try to mate with her and inadvertently tear the skin on her neck. Voltrarr is pretty much the same but with a slightly larger scab.

Peepachu got the worst of it with a partial scalping. Once she calmed down we were able to clean out the wound thoroughly and I knitted the skin back together with skin glue. She'll need to be inside for probably 2-3 weeks based on past injuries, but I'm pretty confident she'll recover fully as long as we keep it from getting infected.

They're such fragile little birds, but they're also really resilient.

No further drama outside since rearranging roosters. Striper and Frankie weren't mobbed by the other roosters (a legit fear since they were in the hen pen for having been scalped by the other boys), being removed from the ladies did the trick. Mouse is still a bit timid and uncertain, but Zapdos is a good rooster who hasn't messed with him. Honestly it's Trinket and Cheesy Gordita Crunch that gave him poo poo and pecked at him some, but that seems to have settled for now.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dienes posted:

One of the roosters in the hen pen, Striper, just lost his goddamn mind and started scalping the girls, hurting about 5 in the course of 2 hours.

That’s just crazy. I’m glad things are settled now.

Mama hen is now named Lucy and is in Mama jail. After a couple days in the pen to bond, I let her and the chicks out and she promptly took them to the edge of the woods and misplaced one… by the time I found it, probably a half hour later, it had given up calling for her and was just laying on the ground. It survived the ordeal and perked right up when it was back with her. So she and her chicks are back in the pen until they are a little bigger and can keep up with her. I sure miss having experienced mama hens who limited their wandering while the chicks were little!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Joburg posted:

That’s just crazy. I’m glad things are settled now.

Mama hen is now named Lucy and is in Mama jail.

Crikey, that was an ordeal for you! Glad tiny one is back home.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Doom Rooster posted:

With winter coming up, how do y’all keep your chickens’ water from freezing?

We’ve got one of the big inverted bucket looking fountains, so the submersible heaters don’t seem to be compatible.

We got one of the inverted bucket looking one with an integrated heater. Seems to be fine, but it doesn't really fit up in their coop so I'm not sure how exactly to handle water in there, or if we even need to.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I have a plug-in warmed water bowl in the run and then a water bowl inside the coop on the sand near the warming pad.

Speaking of the warming pad, I actually got my daughter’s old thermostat plug from her old terrarium out of storage this year so I can make the warming pad operate itself. Seems great so far even though they’d likely be fine just snuggling up on the sand inside without any heater.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I have some stuff coming today to heat our small coop as its forecast to drop to 30 F tomorrow night.

Also:

In other news all 3 of our birds are now egg laying machines!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Elder Postsman posted:

We got one of the inverted bucket looking one with an integrated heater. Seems to be fine, but it doesn't really fit up in their coop so I'm not sure how exactly to handle water in there, or if we even need to.

freeedr posted:

I have a plug-in warmed water bowl in the run and then a water bowl inside the coop on the sand near the warming pad.

Speaking of the warming pad, I actually got my daughter’s old thermostat plug from her old terrarium out of storage this year so I can make the warming pad operate itself. Seems great so far even though they’d likely be fine just snuggling up on the sand inside without any heater.

We ended up finding a big metal disc that’s designed to have a water bucket style fountain just sat right on top of it. It plugs in and is rated to 10f. We got down to 12f this week and it worked great. No idea yet how much electricity it’s using.

It’s likely to get down below 10f this winter though, so we’ll probably end up moving it inside the coop, which stays much warmer than outside.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

freeedr posted:

I decided to go all in on some smart home bullshit for this - got some temperatures/humidity sensors and outlets coming today.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Elder Postsman posted:

I decided to go all in on some smart home bullshit for this - got some temperatures/humidity sensors and outlets coming today.

Smart plugs are great. When we have a long streak of super cold days and the chooks are stuck inside I light their coop from sunup to sundown automatically with a smart plug. I also have smart lights tending my overwinter plants I brought in.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

how it started:

how it’s going:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
That is terrifying!

We tried to do something similar. This started out as your standard triangle-features jack-o-lantern:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

After finding two soft shelled eggs over the weekend, we got our first real actual egg this morning! Our birbs are 20 weeks old so we weren’t really expecting any until spring. Exciting!

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Elder Postsman posted:

After finding two soft shelled eggs over the weekend, we got our first real actual egg this morning! Our birbs are 20 weeks old so we weren’t really expecting any until spring. Exciting!

They’re paying rent!

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

We have one hen who is apparently on strike. She hasn't dropped an egg in almost two months. She's the only olive egger, so it pretty obvious she's the one falling down on the job.

She had molted back then, but has been re feathered for a month and a half. She's not the lowest on the pecking order, and there's little conflict in the flock besides an occasional "my worm! Beat it!"

We did have another olive egger who had to be rehomed months ago. The other was really abusive to the lowest ranked hen, so she's now off living the life in the country with a bigger flock and roosters (before you say it, we have video of her new life!). All the hens were bought at the same time as chicks. Could she be missing the other olive egger?

Everyone else is now in some stage of molting, so the run looks like a pillow exploded and everyone else's production is way down, but they still manage an occasional egg. Absolutely nothing from her.

Any tips on what to do? Is there anything?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
More bad news from our flock. We lost Gwaihir, the Windlord, on Sunday morning. We thought she had been turning the corner, but she passed peacefully not an hour after the last time one of us checked on her.

She was majestic af, one of our largest hens by far. Peanut Hamper is the matriarch of the flock, but Windlord was one of Zapdos' favorite hens, second only to Lucky I think.

We'll remember her every day seeing her nearly identical daughter:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Her Magesty, RIP

MrUnderbridge posted:

We have one hen who is apparently on strike. She hasn't dropped an egg in almost two months. She's the only olive egger, so it pretty obvious she's the one falling down on the job.

I haven’t had an Ameraucana-based Egger for a while but I remember mine didn’t lay between Oct/Nov and springtime, and they were not great layers in general after year 1.

If she’s a Legbar-based Olive Egger then I’d expect some pretty good laying but maybe she’s taking early winter off and will start again after the solstice.

The other half of the Olive is probably a Maran and I don’t know how they lay over the winter.

I doubt it’s related to the other hen leaving.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Not sure what her parentage is. She's pretty much all red, with orange/black hackles and a smallish comb.

Edit: ok, looking at the breeds, she's deffo an americauna cross.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Gross https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/08/food/perdue-chix-mix-launch/index.html

Chickens aren't vegetarians!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

@HeneralPoppy

I "domesticated" this big featherless in my market. He may have had a name but whatever. He drove me around on a Truck. Many adventures. Needed to be given constant directions and alerts. Some of the food offerings were tasty but I've had better.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

If a pigeon can pilot a missle I guess a chicken can man a gun turret.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Of course the first chick of this hatching popped out while Dienes was on campus teaching.

https://i.imgur.com/RnUlsL6.mp4

Welcome to the world, little one!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Of course the first chick of this hatching popped out while Dienes was on campus teaching.

What a cute little baby!

My babies are about 4-1/2 weeks old now. Mama Lucy is doing great, no signs of weaning them yet so hopefully she will continue mothering well into “winter”. (In the new zone map we are 9a, so we never get too cold.) Looks like we have 2 cockerels and a pullet which is fine by me. I’ll probably keep the boys as flock roosters for next autumn.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Joburg posted:

What a cute little baby!

My babies are about 4-1/2 weeks old now. Mama Lucy is doing great, no signs of weaning them yet so hopefully she will continue mothering well into “winter”. (In the new zone map we are 9a, so we never get too cold.) Looks like we have 2 cockerels and a pullet which is fine by me. I’ll probably keep the boys as flock roosters for next autumn.

Oh they all are SO adorable!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It's the miracle of life!

https://i.imgur.com/LyEAmIP.mp4

I happened to check on the incubator just in time to see this one was ready to bust out any time, so I was able to rush upstairs and finally catch a hatching on video.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Lost two of our girls, think a raccoon got them based on the camera footage.

Afterwards:

So meet the newest additions:
Garlic

Parmesan

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 20, 2023

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Sorry for your loss

Welcome Alfredo and Parmesan!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
That sucks, Mustache Ride. I'm so sorry.

Parmesan is a particularly gorgeous bird.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks guys, we had some issues with possums coming into the roost to eat eggs and stay warm. They scared the girls who refused to go back in at night the following evening and I think a coon got them then. Never found one of them, might be in a neighbors yard.

We tore the roost apart again looking for holes, and got some possum stakes installed along the perimeter to keep them out. But we didn't want to leave Sandwich alone for too long so a friend let us have Parm and Alf. We're going to keep them all locked up until they figure out the pecking order and then only let them out supervised moving forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

One reason my girls are behind full-perimeter ½” hardware cloth any time I’m not with them