Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Today's work. Will do the engines next week, then decals, then Final Fusion.

Peek of boo

will you post when you get to the engines? there's a piece that looks like venting that covers up where the hands are hidden and i could never get it on, to the point that i stopped my build in its tracks and never went back. would be curious if you run into any issues or if i was doing something wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Waffleman_ posted:

Today's work. Will do the engines next week, then decals, then Final Fusion.

Peek of boo

Don Gundam sends his regards

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

JoeGlassJAw posted:

will you post when you get to the engines? there's a piece that looks like venting that covers up where the hands are hidden and i could never get it on, to the point that i stopped my build in its tracks and never went back. would be curious if you run into any issues or if i was doing something wrong

I'll let you know. Definitely the helmet build was really fiddly lmao. It's still a fun build, but I can already tell the transformation gimmicks are holding it back slightly.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Waffleman_ posted:

I'll let you know. Definitely the helmet build was really fiddly lmao. It's still a fun build, but I can already tell the transformation gimmicks are holding it back slightly.

That's how I've felt about every single kit I've ever touched with a transformation gimmick, and almost all of those have been MS to MA gimmicks not full on super robot transformations like GGG. It's cool that they can do it! But it does make the build kind of frustrating at points, when you can see where they had to compromise the design so the transformation works.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Nuebot posted:

That's how I've felt about every single kit I've ever touched with a transformation gimmick

That's the reason I decided to skip those recent HG Macross kits.
The RG Wing was pretty great, though. Thinking of getting the RG Epyon too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Foglet posted:

That's the reason I decided to skip those recent HG Macross kits.
The RG Wing was pretty great, though. Thinking of getting the RG Epyon too.

Good news! The HG Macross kits "transform" by swapping parts, not by super fiddly (I have a VF-25 transformer with a broken post) mechanical contortions. You pull whole assemblies off and swap in the one for whatever mode you're transforming to. They look good, were fun to build, and unlike the VF-31 I have are not grenade kits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mllaneza posted:

Good news! The HG Macross kits "transform" by swapping parts, not by super fiddly (I have a VF-25 transformer with a broken post) mechanical contortions. You pull whole assemblies off and swap in the one for whatever mode you're transforming to. They look good, were fun to build, and unlike the VF-31 I have are not grenade kits.

Still waiting on a reprint of the HG Durandal :negative:.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Got my covid and flu shots last week, and the mall I was at had a hobby shop that had exactly one of these in stock.

Fun build, although setting up the stand for the Scrander and Zero was fiddly as hell to keep the bit holding Zero up from running into something.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Coming across my first kit with abs parts that will be painted rather than just internal skeleton pieces. Anything I should know about working with it? I want to paint them and they're body parts so they'll be clipped together and I'd like to do the usual stuff, i.e. glue/cement it together then erase the seams. I saw some posts about lacquer eating abs before? Are enamels okay?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

nthing the wire head on the GGG kit being mad fiddly.

also the engines look like this?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

lol oh no

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

whoops i accidentally ordered the PG rx-78 and a set of panel markers.

gonna practice on the HG, but whats the worst that could happen

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You could lose pieces in your carpet.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I still have to build the Driver, but I'm effectively done with the RG GaoGaiGar.

All the individual parts are solid, but there's a few frustrating parts about the Final Fusion. The mane parts that plug in from the Jet Gao are a pain to line up and even harder to keep in place. The fingers also love to pop out any time you try to pose them. I've had that problem with similar hands with other kits, but these are the worst. The joints are way too tight and the base sockets are too weak for that kind of resistance.

The biggest problem though is the helmet. For one, the back half loves to separate from the front. The joint piece has no lock nubs on either end, so it tends to separate when closing it up. The bigger problem is the faceplate. It will pop off with little to no effort. The tab and slots just aren't deep enough for a solid connection. I may just end up gluing it.

The easiest way I've found to attach it is to remove the helmet from the wired part and then close it around GaiGar's head. Then attach it to the jet, then attach the mask that has surely fallen off.

Other than those caveats, it's a great kit. The legs lock in very stably to the DrillGao legs and the treads for the DrillGao haven't separated at all, unlike say, the MG Guntank.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh.... using toothpaste to buff did actually polish the gently caress out of my clear plastic pieces and take scratches out of it. Eat poo poo tamiya, I cant even brush my teeth with your polishing compound!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Huh.... using toothpaste to buff did actually polish the gently caress out of my clear plastic pieces and take scratches out of it. Eat poo poo tamiya, I cant even brush my teeth with your polishing compound!

Ah, classic trick for reconditioning plastic car headlight assemblies as well. Makes sense lol

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Moai Ou posted:

I still have to build the Driver, but I'm effectively done with the RG GaoGaiGar.

All the individual parts are solid, but there's a few frustrating parts about the Final Fusion. The mane parts that plug in from the Jet Gao are a pain to line up and even harder to keep in place. The fingers also love to pop out any time you try to pose them. I've had that problem with similar hands with other kits, but these are the worst. The joints are way too tight and the base sockets are too weak for that kind of resistance.

The biggest problem though is the helmet. For one, the back half loves to separate from the front. The joint piece has no lock nubs on either end, so it tends to separate when closing it up. The bigger problem is the faceplate. It will pop off with little to no effort. The tab and slots just aren't deep enough for a solid connection. I may just end up gluing it.

The easiest way I've found to attach it is to remove the helmet from the wired part and then close it around GaiGar's head. Then attach it to the jet, then attach the mask that has surely fallen off.

Other than those caveats, it's a great kit. The legs lock in very stably to the DrillGao legs and the treads for the DrillGao haven't separated at all, unlike say, the MG Guntank.

I ran into the same issues with he hands and faceplate.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Finally got around to finishing the snap build on the RG Zeong. Such a loving cool kit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

starting on the giant zeon teddybear myself and god its so adorable :3

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I wish pbandai would at least make a conversion kit for the zeong into perfect zeong :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So it looks like acetone can be used to weld abs to abs and abs to styrene at a slightly weaker level. Any downsides to this besides having to make sure to use it sparingly and the fumes?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I cannot for the life of me figure out wher sticker 37 is supposed to go on these legs/drill gao piece for GGG. Anyone put that one on yet? tiny blue circular sticker for both legs?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Deviant posted:

I cannot for the life of me figure out wher sticker 37 is supposed to go on these legs/drill gao piece for GGG. Anyone put that one on yet? tiny blue circular sticker for both legs?

They go on the headlights on the outside of the legs. The manual's sticker guide clearly shows it.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Deviant posted:

In drill form, facing in the same direction as the drills, there are a sort of headlight extrusions on each side. They each have two spots for the blue stickers.
In leg form they end up pointing straight up, at the top part of the drill legs.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Skrillmub posted:

In drill form, facing in the same direction as the drills, there are a sort of headlight extrusions on each side. They each have two spots for the blue stickers.
In leg form they end up pointing straight up, at the top part of the drill legs.

Edit: oh, THERE they go. The picture could have made the orientation clearer.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 19, 2023

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Got my Rex fully done over a long weekend. I didn't like the green accents or brown frame so replaced it with gunmetal and chrome and gave it some little red running lights because it's Evil. Overall the kit is nice and I'm super-happy with the finished product but it was definitely frustrating at times. The way the upper and lower 'mouth' connects is an actual crime.

Back to gunpla after this probably going to chill out with my HG Woundwart.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

noice finished the legs on mine the other night

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Deviant posted:

Edit: oh, THERE they go. The picture could have made the orientation clearer.

Yeah, the picture isn't great. Would have been nice to be told to stick them on during assembly, but they were more concerned people would snip those bits off for some reason.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pierson posted:

Got my Rex fully done over a long weekend. I didn't like the green accents or brown frame so replaced it with gunmetal and chrome and gave it some little red running lights because it's Evil. Overall the kit is nice and I'm super-happy with the finished product but it was definitely frustrating at times. The way the upper and lower 'mouth' connects is an actual crime.

Back to gunpla after this probably going to chill out with my HG Woundwart.

Looks good!

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I originally posted this in the Armored Core thread in Games before wondering if there was a proper gunpla thread on the forums. Upon googling it, here I am! This is Kotobukiya's CR-Hogire kit, one of several released for the AC4 gen back on the PS3 and 360. This one was missing a few runners so I had to improvise a bit, including filing down the ball knee joints down to a somewhat flat edge so I could cement it into the top of the lower legs. Other improvisations included placing the back of hand pieces that I wasn't going to be using onto the forearms and feet to replace the missing panel elements. I used a metallic gold Gundam Marker on the gold accent bits because they were a crappy flat brass tone OOB. Other touches were black Tamiya panel liner, which looked way too dark so I cleaned up the lines with a scribing tool. Finished with Mr. Hobby deluxe matte. This and several other cool kits from back then are getting reprints next year, which I was only announced as I was wrapping this one up. No worries, happy with how it came out. The SUNSHINE and then SUPPLICE models are the others I bought and are next.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

My buddy in Vegas got me something called

"The Gundam Base Limited V Gundam (Titanium Finish)"

That's good, right? :smug:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

that's the original rex model right, I'm working on the black version I'll post photos when I'm done ofc

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Buck Wildman posted:

that's the original rex model right, I'm working on the black version I'll post photos when I'm done ofc

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I was talking to midjack sorry for not being clear

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Oh yeah I see that now my bad. Oh well! I always wanted a rex kit but if they're janky then I'll probably pass.

Has anyone built the square enix nier flight units?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Deviant posted:

Oh yeah I see that now my bad. Oh well! I always wanted a rex kit but if they're janky then I'll probably pass.

Has anyone built the square enix nier flight units?

it's not janky but I think I know what they're talking about when they say it's a difficult fit in places - the plastic is alternatively extremely stubbon and really fragile. I've had to do more repair gluing/etc on this one than I have on any other. it's impressively complex especially on the legs so I'm looking forward to seeing it all together - a lot of lining/decals to do

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Buck Wildman posted:

Nope mine is the black version too, just with changed colours.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Buck Wildman posted:

IIRC it's the black version, but you'll want to put paint on any version of Rex, triply so if you want the in-game camouflage scheme.

efb

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Pierson posted:

Nope mine is the black version too, just with changed colours.

got it, gj with the paint in that case

grassy gnoll posted:

IIRC it's the black version, but you'll want to put paint on any version of Rex, triply so if you want the in-game camouflage scheme.

efb

I'll be doing some touch up with my markers and the usual panel lining, for sure. I specifically didn't source an original because I thought doing the camo would be a pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've got the MGS 4 version of Rex. I'll do it eventually when I have the confidence to paint again.
I did the original Rex and painted it. But it was like the first time I painted a kit, so it didn't look great.