Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jedit posted:

Oh, sure, being a nepo baby doesn't automatically mean you're bad. Nicolas Cage is a nepo baby if we come to it. So are Christian Slater, Patrick Schwarzenegger and Jamie Lee Curtis. But offhand I can't think of any nepo director who is better than their parent.

Nic Cage, Jason Schwartzman, and Sophia Coppola are the least likely first-cousin nepo babies I can imagine.

But I think Rob Reiner probably qualifies as a better director than his father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

Nic Cage, Jason Schwartzman, and Sophia Coppola are the least likely first-cousin nepo babies I can imagine.

But I think Rob Reiner probably qualifies as a better director than his father.

Arguable. Carl Reiner was no slouch in the chair, he directed several of Steve Martin's best comedies. He's as close an example as I've heard yet, though.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Oz Perkins.

Tony Perkins directed, was good (I love you, Psycho III, it’s okay), but I think Oz is the more famous and well regarded one.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Sergio Leone's dad directed silent movies, although I guess that's practically a different medium at this point so unfair to make the comparison.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I support more Cronenbergs just because we could always use more body horror.

I like David Cronenberg but Brandon's stuff isn't for me. It's not that he's bad at what he does but I just do not vibe with his output. We watched Infinity Pool over the weekend and it just didn't do much for me at all. I think maybe the movie was too smart for me or something but I was really just glad when it was over. Mia Goth was pretty great but that goes without saying.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Xiahou Dun posted:

Oz Perkins.

Tony Perkins directed, was good (I love you, Psycho III, it’s okay), but I think Oz is the more famous and well regarded one.

This is interesting because it really depends. Tony Perkins was a TV staple at one point off the strength of Psycho being the one horror movie everyone had seen. Are there really that many The Blackcoat's Daughter fans out there who know Oz Perkins by name?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is interesting because it really depends. Tony Perkins was a TV staple at one point off the strength of Psycho being the one horror movie everyone had seen. Are there really that many The Blackcoat's Daughter fans out there who know Oz Perkins by name?

there is a small but vocal contingent of horror fans that is trying to make Oz Perkins happen

i didn't even know he did another Hansel and Gretel movie lol

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Levantine posted:

I like David Cronenberg but Brandon's stuff isn't for me. It's not that he's bad at what he does but I just do not vibe with his output. We watched Infinity Pool over the weekend and it just didn't do much for me at all. I think maybe the movie was too smart for me or something but I was really just glad when it was over. Mia Goth was pretty great but that goes without saying.

I feel like the concept could have been done in like 45 minutes and much more effectively.

Nikumatic posted:

When Shudder’s Creepshow anthology first launched my partner was incredibly nonplussed by the first episode so we never ended up watching anymore. Until I needled them a few days ago because they were lamenting about not having something new like Tales from the Crypt to watch and I brought up that we had never given it another shot. Anyway now we’ve binged the entire series and the specials and it rules that is all.

Yeah, the first season isn't that great, but other than that its pretty good. Although its funny how obvious it is that they had an episode with a guy obsessed about Horror Express because that is the movie they could get the rights to.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

there is a small but vocal contingent of horror fans that is trying to make Oz Perkins happen

Gretel & Hansel rocked, superior to similar offerings that year like The Green Knight. Alice Krieg in particular is wonderful in it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I loved Blackguard's Daughter, but I am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House dragged so much I was wondering if I'd start getting my social security checks by the time anything happened in that one.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I feel like the concept could have been done in like 45 minutes and much more effectively.

It's funny you say that. We paused at about an hour to do some laundry and my girlfriend basically said "we've wasted an hour, lets give up" (which is rare for her) and I talked her into finishing it. I got to thinking how maybe the movie would have landed better if they had trimmed it up quite a bit. It's not a terrible movie or anything but I can confidently say it's not for me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gretel & Hansel rocked, superior to similar offerings that year like The Green Knight. Alice Krieg in particular is wonderful in it.

oh i do love Alice Krige, noted

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Sophia Lillis is still an ickle baby, but she’s been good in every horror she’s done so far too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Gretel and Hansel was one of my favorite movies of that year. Granted it was a bit of a weak year(2020) for obvious reasons, but still.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
:yeah:

That's a movie that I constantly forget exists and then I remember it and am like "hell yeah, that was good stuff".

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, the first season isn't that great, but other than that its pretty good. Although its funny how obvious it is that they had an episode with a guy obsessed about Horror Express because that is the movie they could get the rights to.

Absolutely, it really hits its stride with the goofy-scary combo that Tales was always so good at it, and there's some real fun and clever poo poo throughout (like the episode that's entirely "what ELSE was going on during Night of the Living Dead?"). I feel it's got way more ups than downs in total which is all I can ask for in an anthology.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jedit posted:

Oh, sure, being a nepo baby doesn't automatically mean you're bad. Nicolas Cage is a nepo baby if we come to it. So are Christian Slater, Patrick Schwarzenegger and Jamie Lee Curtis. But offhand I can't think of any nepo director who is better than their parent.

Beyond The Black Rainbow and Mandy are absolutely better Leviathan and Rambo 2.

What were your thoughts on The Outwaters??

Sorry to be late on this, but Outwaters is just a genuine movie-rear end movie where the protagonists set out to make a music video and then do exactly that. That’s the sense of fun that counters and partly overrides the plot content. Like, superficially, it’s not any different from Project Angst or 6-5=2 or whatever, but it’s expertly crafted - especially with regards to the editing.

One subtle joke is that the footage is arranged in chronological order by the cops, when it’s fairly obvious that the two ‘halves’ of the film actually occur pretty much simultaneously. The second part, often dismissed as just chaos, is the subtext of the first.

I also appreciate that it has a ton of tonal and thematic parallels with the underseen and not-at-all-gory The Midnight Swim. I feel like they’d make a very solid double-feature. And it’s again just dope that they applied that kind of Malickian, literary style to an Area 407.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

oh i do love Alice Krige, noted

Much is made of her resemblance to a sphynx cat, it's great

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Sorry to be late on this, but Outwaters is just a genuine movie-rear end movie where the protagonists set out to make a music video and then do exactly that. That’s the sense of fun that counters and partly overrides the plot content. Like, superficially, it’s not any different from Project Angst or 6-5=2 or whatever, but it’s expertly crafted - especially with regards to the editing.

One subtle joke is that the footage is arranged in chronological order by the cops, when it’s fairly obvious that the two ‘halves’ of the film actually occur pretty much simultaneously. The second part, often dismissed as just chaos, is the subtext of the first.

I also appreciate that it has a ton of tonal and thematic parallels with the underseen and not-at-all-gory The Midnight Swim. I feel like they’d make a very solid double-feature. And it’s again just dope that they applied that kind of Malickian, literary style to an Area 407.

Hell yeah.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

neither are better than Cobra, though

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

grobbo posted:

My less hot take is that we should get a proper Gormenghast adaptation, some really sumptuous horror-adjacent high gothic / high weird fantasy by del Toro or David Lowery.

A Del Toro Gormenghast would be awesome and Gormenghast doesn't have the fervent fandom that would be outraged at deviations from the source material.

I'd take almost any modern adaptation at this point. Maybe I'm just biased ;)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Did it get posted here that GDT is scouting Arctic locations for what is presumably a restarted At the Mountains of Madness adaptation? Guess he has to get in gear while the planet still has glacial ice.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TitusGroen posted:

I caught a YouTuber discussing his favorite horror flicks of last year and was rather irked to see he said Smile was the one he enjoyed most. loving SMILE?! It's so clearly an inferior version of It Follows that they announced a sequel to It Follows called They Follow, which is likely going to be dog water. Just for a cash grab because someone made a shittier but more successful version of your movie

Hollywood is the worst.

Yeah Smile was boring garbage. If you want to be even more offended here's the study for the scariest movie of all time

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Smile was sick and not just because they filmed some of it by me (the diner scenes).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Did it get posted here that GDT is scouting Arctic locations for what is presumably a restarted At the Mountains of Madness adaptation? Guess he has to get in gear while the planet still has glacial ice.

apparently it's actually for his Frankenstein adaptation.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Smile was much better than I expected but I definitely wouldn't call it a great horror movie or anything. My wife and I watched it while we were carving Jack O Lanterns and that was kind of the perfect vibe for it for me, personally.

I got more Ring vibes than anything else but even a cheaper, worse Ring is still pretty fun.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I liked Smile better when it was called Lights Out, and I didn't particularly like Lights Out for its handling of mental health either.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Smile was basically "dumb guy It Follows" meets "dumb guy Junji Ito" and i enjoyed it on that level.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah Smile was better than I was expecting, I just wasn't expecting much.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

apparently it's actually for his Frankenstein adaptation.

Oh, hmm.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

You mention Midnight Swim and you have my attention.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Smile's ad campaign was inspired, I'll say that. It was clever to just post weird smiling people around stadiums and getting cameras to magically look at them.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Smile was decent, but it committed the cardinal sin of putting its best scare in the trailer.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Doltos posted:

Yeah Smile was boring garbage. If you want to be even more offended here's the study for the scariest movie of all time

Cursed list but also adding Dark and the Wicked to my watchlist

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ruddiger posted:

Cursed list but also adding Dark and the Wicked to my watchlist

I actually really liked the Dark and the Wicked. The story is pretty stock but the movie was shot great. Definitely feels like the director put a ton of effort into every scene.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Doltos posted:

Did they only ask 12 year olds or something.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Every poll like that is just going to result in a list of recent movies if you ask normal people.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Xiahou Dun posted:

Did they only ask 12 year olds or something.

Methodology:

Science of Scare posted:

Each year, the Science of Scare project curates a list of the most terrifying feature length movies and puts them to our panel 250 ‘victims’ (test subjects).

Post-Covid, our test subjects are invited to special screenings of our movies in our ‘screaming rooms’, where they are fitted with special heart rate monitors and their heart rate is tracked throughout the movies, under researcher supervision.

From here we measure the average impact our shortlisted movies had on the heart rate (measured in BPM) of our subjects, compared to the average resting BPM of the total sample size, which each year has been 64 BPM.

To prevent audience fatigue, our screenings take place over the course of several weeks throughout the year, before we publish our results in October, just in time for Halloween.

To decide what films to screen, we take recommendations for the most frightening films from horror experts, critic ‘best of lists’, online communities (in particular r/horror), and our own personal picks. More on our ‘Scare List’ and selection process can be found at the bottom of this page.

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/features/science-of-scare

Not the greatest but it's interesting to see what scares the average theater goer. I'm pretty sure most people watch everything half on their cellphones these days so I understand Sinister being at the top of the list due to all the jump scares. Stands to reason BPM goes up for that. The kid popping out of the box scared the poo poo out of me too.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

That’s not “not the greatest”, that’s “got a C- at the middle school science fair”.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I like Smile :colbert:

https://twitter.com/flanaganfilm/status/1726624854617833828

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Pleased to see the descent in there, the ring should be higher, and where's Blair witch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Xiahou Dun posted:

That’s not “not the greatest”, that’s “got a C- at the middle school science fair”.

If you hate that you should see some other stats bullshit people pull with questionnaires, poor population polling, and implied magnitude