Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Your expectations are way, way too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

Your expectations are way, way too high.

Ok thanks lol. He’s a great dog, I guess I just spent too much time before he came home watching YouTube and reading and preparing that I set expectations so high it felt like defeat.

He’s a baby, have to remember that.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Awww cute little buddy. Yeah I got my pup at 8 weeks and pretty much learned to assume that when he woke up, he would have to go. When he finished playing, he would have to go. When he finished eating or drinking, he would have to go.

Now he's like 4 months old and I can see him actually trying to signal me when I'm home, and holding it in when I'm gone from the house & waiting for me to get back. But I don't think they even have the muscle control for it at 9 weeks even if they understand what they're supposed to do.

edit: 2 month/4 month pics:

goferchan fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 6, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Always assume the puppy has to go

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Thanks, appreciate the advice. I read the OP and the training thread and watched so many videos on training and what to do to prepare myself and the last couple of days have been big realizations of, just respond to what the dog needs.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Douchebag posted:

So thank you for this. We separate them for feedings now, no high value treats in each others presence, tightly supervised playtimes together, and things have been pretty much perfect for the last 2 days.

My JRT hangs out primarily with my wife in her office so she got fence like barrier to block that off and it’s reduced a lot of stress.

As for treats, she (the JRT) only gets a training treat at the same time as the puppy does while they are outside for potty breaks, or of the puppy responds to something positively. But took your advice and it’s like you said, Dogs Name Treat, Dog 2 Name Treat. It’s been working well for 2 days so we feel it’s a good system for now.

The JRT is a manipulative little brat though LOL. She knows we will praise her if she gives a little nudge to the puppy with her nose, or if she gently paws at him to play. So now she goes out of her way to do that, immediately looks at us and sits and expects the reward (which we give of course). But it’s rubbing off on the puppy as he will in turn sit and look at us as well.

Started night time crate training tonight. Two days later than we should have but gave him a few nights to settle in. He’s sleeping in my sons room and he was nervous he couldn’t handle it. Puppy passed out after whining for about 30 minutes. So far so good.

Glad its working for you

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Douchebag posted:

Ok thanks lol. He’s a great dog, I guess I just spent too much time before he came home watching YouTube and reading and preparing that I set expectations so high it felt like defeat.

He’s a baby, have to remember that.

I was the same when we got ours, she's 7 months now and we only have a very rare accident, but it still happens.

The first few months of going out every 2-3 hours is rough, there's no sugar coating it. But it's worth it. He's gonna have accidents etc, you just have to accept it for now and i think you're going to be waiting a few months at least before he's consistently not having accidents.

If he's having accidents in his crate it's possible it maybe a little too big for him right now too.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Donovan's started doing something really funny whenever I feed him, he'll run to the bowl and take a bite, then run back to wherever I am in the house and chew it next to me, then run back to the bowl and repeat. No idea what the dog psychology is behind this but it seems like he's having a blast doing it so I'm not really fussed. Probably burns more calories than he's getting from the food

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

goferchan posted:

Donovan's started doing something really funny whenever I feed him, he'll run to the bowl and take a bite, then run back to wherever I am in the house and chew it next to me, then run back to the bowl and repeat. No idea what the dog psychology is behind this but it seems like he's having a blast doing it so I'm not really fussed. Probably burns more calories than he's getting from the food

He wants you to know he found food

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

He wants you to know he found food

He seems incredibly proud of himself when he does it so this checks out lol. I'm proud of him too :unsmith:

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

goferchan posted:

This can be a couple of things. When eating (and defecating) dogs feel at their most vulnerable as they are less able to keep an eye on their immediate surroundings than would normally be the case. The fact that he is bringing the food to you to consume it is most likely that he feels safer in your immediate presence and trusts you to keep an eye out. Its kind of the same when a dog stares at you intently when toileting - its letting you know you are on watch duty.

The other thing it could be is that he doesn't want to be separated from you for the length of time it would take him to eat the food.

If its the first then that's all good and a great sign of healthy bonding, if its the latter then you may need to do some work on separation anxiety.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Jarvis will bring the first couple of bites over to the living room, but then eats the rest by himself. It's cute until he forgets a kibble nugget and then I step on it later.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh it could also mean he's sharing it with you. You're the pack leader and he's seeking permission.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
Lately the wife and I have been very busy, but we were still trying to get around to fixing our little girl... Unfortunately, just as we were out the door to work today, her first period started :banjo:

So I guess we're going to have an eight month old puppy in heat running about the place for a few weeks... Any advice would be great:cheerdoge:

Keeping the local studs away from this sweet piece of tail

Clowner fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 14, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Doggy diapers

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I have transitioned away from worrying how Brisket will react to baby. He loves her. Spitup is edible. He'll clean things for me.
To now worrying about how protective he is of her. Did not like my sister getting too close to baby.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Clowner posted:

Lately the wife and I have been very busy, but we were still trying to get around to fixing our little girl... Unfortunately, just as we were out the door to work today, her first period started :banjo:

So I guess we're going to have an eight month old puppy in heat running about the place for a few weeks... Any advice would be great:cheerdoge:

Keep her away from all male dogs for at least a month. Generally they’re only in heat for around 21 days but better safe than sorry. When the discharge gets lighter that’s when they’re most fertile. Generally speaking they have a week coming in, a week where they’re fertile, and a week coming out but every girl and every heat is a little different.

Even neutered males can mate with bitches in heat and can potentially cause damage so no boys allowed for a while. If you take her on walks make sure they are on leash only and be prepared to punt any loose dogs that follow you.

Otherwise it’s not that big of a deal. Learn the warning signs of pyometra and don’t be surprised if your girl has symptoms of a false pregnancy. She’ll also probably blow her coat in the next couple of months. My girl was in heat last in August/September and she’s just finishing a false pregnancy complete with getting milk in because I was babysitting some puppies as well as starting to completely dump her coat.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I’ve been giving my healthy chihuahuas canned pumpkin as something to keep them occupied while we eat dinner because I’m too much of a softie to scold them for begging. It works great, it’s low calorie, and their bowel movements have been superb ever since. Maybe like 2 tablespoons or so, a piece.

I need to check w my vet, of course, but do any pet owners here see any possible health issues with this? Just checking to make sure there’s not something big I’m missing

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

HootTheOwl posted:

Doggy diapers

There was an attempt.

Thanks everyone else for the advice though :hchatter:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Lol. I'm probably going to have to invest in doggy diapers when my dog comes back after weaning her puppies (another litter of 9!). She had bleeding for quite a while after her first litter. I have no idea how she'll react to them though. For those that have used them, what kind and how did you get your dogs used to them?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I bought these washable diapers for Tater when he started getting sick and was draining blood and pus from his rump. I swear he actually liked them and never fought me on it. I did find the elastic for the tail to be way too tight however and had to cut the elastic.

The first thing I did when I got home after putting him down was to throw all those damned things in the dumpster. Here's to hoping the next dog isn't such a trainwreck.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

The Top G posted:

I need to check w my vet, of course, but do any pet owners here see any possible health issues with this? Just checking to make sure there’s not something big I’m missing

I let Pongo chomp down on the raw pumpkin when we were carving, he loved it. Pumpkin is very good for dogs and cats.

What isn’t good is I let things go on too long with some paw licking and now he has an infection. Turns out he likely has a late summer/fall seasonal allergy because he had issues about a year ago too. One dose of apoquel and the licking has already stopped. Now to let his paws heal, they look bad. Sorry buddy!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Lol. I'm probably going to have to invest in doggy diapers when my dog comes back after weaning her puppies (another litter of 9!). She had bleeding for quite a while after her first litter. I have no idea how she'll react to them though. For those that have used them, what kind and how did you get your dogs used to them?

I’ve used cheap amazon washable ones, fancy thongs for dogs (literally what they are called, made for dogs with beefy thighs), and custom made ones by a lady named De in Wyoming and the Made by De ones are the best for my dog. Her least favorite part is just getting her tail through the hole in the back and De’s design eliminates that issue. Actually wearing them has never been an issue for my dog as long as the fit is ok.

If you aren’t planning on using them regularly you can grab some tighty whiteys and put them on backwards with her tail through the fly with a sanitary pad in them in a pinch.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

goferchan posted:

Awww cute little buddy. Yeah I got my pup at 8 weeks and pretty much learned to assume that when he woke up, he would have to go. When he finished playing, he would have to go. When he finished eating or drinking, he would have to go.

Now he's like 4 months old and I can see him actually trying to signal me when I'm home, and holding it in when I'm gone from the house & waiting for me to get back. But I don't think they even have the muscle control for it at 9 weeks even if they understand what they're supposed to do.

What is the timeframe for when to expect them to start learning? I swear our beagle puppy Bubbles has "pee when you're outside" down to a science, but he keeps letting loose with zero warning inside the house, even in his kennel sometimes. Sometimes it seems to be excitement related, but he can go outside and pee like 3-4 times then come in and just pee at random. Any way to start encouraging him to not do it inside, or pee completely when he's outside maybe? He is 4 months old as of last Sunday FWIW.

Puppy tax:

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

MadDogMike posted:

What is the timeframe for when to expect them to start learning? I swear our beagle puppy Bubbles has "pee when you're outside" down to a science, but he keeps letting loose with zero warning inside the house, even in his kennel sometimes. Sometimes it seems to be excitement related, but he can go outside and pee like 3-4 times then come in and just pee at random. Any way to start encouraging him to not do it inside, or pee completely when he's outside maybe? He is 4 months old as of last Sunday FWIW.

Puppy tax:

A friend of mine had some beagle pups last year and I considered taking one, but I read that Beagles are on the slow side for house training. They're like, one of the slowest overall.

Use standard housebreaking methods, you're just gonna have to keep at it for longer.

Very cute puppy, though.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Clowner posted:

Funny enough, I just came to post and ask the same thing. Seems that was the cause of Frejas humping all along. She's not done it since she became in season. I thought we had a couple more months in all honesty, but guess I was wrong! Have a little 7 months old terror right now who's doing extra whining for attention and cuddles right now which I certainly don't mind and it's making walks a lot more.. err.. lively.

She's not happy about not being allowed on the sofa right now though.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

MadDogMike posted:

Puppy tax:

Beagles are really dumb. Like reaaaaallly dumb about house training in particular.

(They're not actually dumb, but they do not give a gently caress about anything you try to make them do)

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Beagles are really dumb. Like reaaaaallly dumb about house training in particular.

(They're not actually dumb, but they do not give a gently caress about anything you try to make them do)

Yeah, this is my 4th, I tend to describe it as a form of ADHD (they have a very hard time concentrating, especially if food is in the area). If you get their attention and keep it they’re brilliant; extremely clever at stealing food and such.

Oddly enough he’s been great at regular obedience training (apart from peeing on the floor anyway), guess all the treats help that focus.

Not sure why his predecessors did faster house breaking (well, our first was paper trained before we got him, so it was a nightmare getting him to switch), but guess we just need to keep at it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We’ve pulled up the carpet in the hallway by our front door while we’re redecorating some poo poo which has left bare concrete on the floor

What we didn’t anticipate was our ~18 month old Dachshund apparently deciding that hey this feels just like the pavement outside guess it’s cool to just piss and poo poo wherever :waycool:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm taking my 8-year-old Havanese on her first out-of-town car trip next week. Any advice? It's only 6 hours, so it's not like we're going cross-country, but I've never traveled with a dog before and I'm sure I'll forget something stupid.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Bring water and a bowl

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My dog always travels in a crate for safety and I have a tube with emergency info attached to it. I keep a copy of her vaccine records, emergency contact people, and a spare slip lead in it. I always prefer slips when traveling so there’s no risk of my dog backing out of a collar and leash then running off with no identification on her.

Also make sure your microchip info is up to date!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

this mystery respiratory illness really has me fuckin' worried. Pochi has done so well at training and I really don't want to pull her out of it. it has helped so much with her confidence.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dogs can get COVID, not sure if you knew that

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

alg posted:

this mystery respiratory illness really has me fuckin' worried. Pochi has done so well at training and I really don't want to pull her out of it. it has helped so much with her confidence.

Did you get her checked for kennel cough? It’s that time of year and the sooner you can get on the meds the better.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

My parents adopted a dog from a shelter that had been checked out recently by a vet at said shelter, and said vet estimated her age at about 4 years.

Flash forward about a month later, she started making GBS threads blood. My parents of course take her to a different, more local vet. Turns out she has severe pancreatitis (!), joint problems, and they estimate her age is more like 7 years. The shelter did not mention any of this, of course, nor did the report from the initial shelter vet they requested. (It did mention she'd been attacked by a dog pretty badly... which the shelter didn't mention, even with the potential fear/aggression problems that'd cause...)

Is there anything they can like... I don't know, do? Legal action to sue for the vet bills? It's a pretty lovely shelter, I doubt they have much to cover the bills to begin with. Is this a common occurrence? :( Is it likely they genuinely didn't know about any of this?

I'm just pissed off because this is breaking my mom's heart, considering they just had to put their other dog down for, among other things, severe pancreatitis (which had to be managed very carefully for years with a special diet that took a ton of trial and error to establish), and got this dog to fill the hole in their heart. They were expecting a younger dog with a lot of years left, not a 7 year old dog with pre-existing health problems. Obviously they're still going to take care of the dog because they're not monsters, but it's just a real kick in the head.

Feeling very thankful rn that my cat is seemingly the picture of health.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 21, 2023

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

MarcusSA posted:

Did you get her checked for kennel cough? It’s that time of year and the sooner you can get on the meds the better.

She doesn't have it, it's just the first time we've had a dog that spends significant amounts of time with other dogs.

Really just thinking of how badly bungled COVID was and applying that to a dog disease

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it's pretty horrible, although as little as people care about humans getting it, you can imagine how much less attention it gets re: pets
trigger warning: sad animal research stuff
https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/covid-infection-can-damage-brains-dogs-study-suggests

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The respiratory virus going around is scary stuff. A fellow goon friend had it hit her dogs after attending a dog show in the spring and two of them needed to be hospitalized and they all needed chest x rays and antibiotics. My dog was at the same show (out of state for me) and didn’t get it even though they all shared a car to and from the show.

Personally I wouldn’t let my dog spend large amounts of time with strange dogs this winter. Young, healthy dogs have died quickly after getting it. We’ve got a few competitions coming up but I’m crating out of my car and not hanging around ringside. Plus if I hear the virus is making it’s way through my state I’ll just donate my entry fees rather than risk my dog. I’ve also boostered her kennel cough bivalent vaccine early just in case that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm adopting a dog tomorrow and I'm pretty drat shook about it.

He's about 2 years old, about 10 pounds, maybe a Cairn Terrier. He was fond on the street so I don't know if he's even potty trained. Wish me luck :ohdear: