Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
An FDM printer running PLA would be fine indoors until your shop space is ready, if you wanted to buy low now and NOT wait months to set it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Gonna be the merriest Christmas ever at Casa de Reflux.

they're little bulbs to go on a battery powered LED string, done in vase mode with a brim, get your mind out of the gutter!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I noticed that the Anycubic app updated to support yet another new printer today (M5S Pro).. I feel like they should be running a $1k/year Patreon where they just send you a new printer every time they release one.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Javid posted:

An FDM printer running PLA would be fine indoors until your shop space is ready, if you wanted to buy low now and NOT wait months to set it up

Being an enclosed and filtered printer isn't any material "safe" if not ideal indoors?

Anyways that's not really the issue so much as it being its final resting place and me then having the time to really familiarize myself and use it beyond a few initial test prints just to make sure it works.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I also printed an Xmas Buttplug

(Just a Christmas Tree style decoration deal, but mostly wanted to test the black/red dual color filament, and also the K1 with a different spool of filament - both a pretty good success IMO).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You are going to want a flared base on that.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My doctor said the same thing :jerkbag:

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

SubNat posted:

Sound will probably vary more unit per unit based on how loud the psu fan is, amongst others.

I was thinking about dlp (at least the anycubic one) because they don't use fans in their cooling. But after considering it more, I guess you really need to do a lot to vent resin printers? So I'll end up with fans running regardless? So maybe it's not worth it. Pretty worried that hyperacusis will prevent me from getting into 3D printing sadly.

As far as resin printing goes, how much do you need to do to vent? I plan to have the printers on a table beside a window. Will I need to build a full chamber? Or would having a fan window insert running directly next to them be enough? And if I need a full chamber does anyone have any guides to getting/making those?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

The Chairman posted:

I'm a fan of the Wham Bam PEX plate, the mirror finish it produces is real slick looking

I’m using the same one. It’s great.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I'm looking to pick up a filament dryer, and I was wondering whether there were any meaningful differences between most of what I'm seeing or whether I should just pick up whatever is on sale this week?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Elem7 posted:

Being an enclosed and filtered printer isn't any material "safe" if not ideal indoors?

Anyways that's not really the issue so much as it being its final resting place and me then having the time to really familiarize myself and use it beyond a few initial test prints just to make sure it works.

I’ve heard anecdotes of people using enclosed printers with filters printing ASAP indoors and still getting symptoms from it, but I don’t have data. That was after running multiple printers printing ABS or ASA for prolonged periods though. Tons of people print PLA and PETG indoors without an enclosure/filter and while I believe the long term health of that isn’t 100% clear I’ve never heard of it causing acute symptoms like styrene fumes.

Anyway, if you set up complex multicolor poo poo prints can take days, so if you get it working reliably you can just find a really complex model (I recall someone printing a super detailed mask of majora and it taking 5 days to finish, even on a Bambu) and let that run while you work on stuff.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Catatron Prime posted:

I'm looking to pick up a filament dryer, and I was wondering whether there were any meaningful differences between most of what I'm seeing or whether I should just pick up whatever is on sale this week?

Make sure the timer can go for a long period of time. Some are limited to only a few hours; my Sunlu S1 goes to 99 hours.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
turns out i'm a bit slow and posted in the miniature model 3D printing thread, i'mma crosspost to here and ask the same

Frobbe posted:

due to black friday sales being on and me having some spare cash, i've put in an order for an Anycubic Kobra 2 Pro. I'm happy to see it officially recommends using prusaslicer, but are there any pitfalls with the printer i've chosen? I currently use an OG Creality ender 3 with a bunch of upgrades so i'm aware of basic maintenance and so forth.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Make sure the timer can go for a long period of time. Some are limited to only a few hours; my Sunlu S1 goes to 99 hours.
My dryer is limited to like 12 hours, so this is a real thing to remember.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

A cheap dehydrator and maybe a quick print or two and some extra tubing and it'll run forever and not be expensive.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Catatron Prime posted:

I’ve had nothing but great results with my PrintDry Pro. The little vacuum sealable Tupperwares are great, and I’m about to get more.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Acid Reflux posted:

Gonna be the merriest Christmas ever at Casa de Reflux.

they're little bulbs to go on a battery powered LED string, done in vase mode with a brim, get your mind out of the gutter!

Sure dude

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Frobbe posted:

turns out i'm a bit slow and posted in the miniature model 3D printing thread, i'mma crosspost to here and ask the same

Didn’t see anyone say anything. I don’t have an Anycubic but it should be great. Some of the cheaper 3D printer options sometimes require a bit more calibration to get them working smoothly, but most of it will be one time and you’ll get the hang of it real quick

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ugh, my x1c is going to take a whole rear end week to get here.

curse you, ups.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

I don't think the brims will be an effective flared base. :ohdear:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Deviant posted:

curse you, ups.

I dislike UPS but it's beter than fedex becuase I Didn't get a pile of glass
My package got delayed 1 day.. which means I was slated to be in the office. The driver could not drop the package to the UPS store 1/4 of a mile form the house (even though it's an option on their door tag).
I then told them to put package on hold and I'd pick it up in evening. Phone agent said Sure no problem, dist center called and said LOL no way no way front of house closes at 5 trucks don't get home till 7
Okay put it on the truck for UPS store tomorrow. "Sure we'll; stick it on the truck no problem" They did not .. it was held.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Deviant posted:

curse you, ups.

Yup. I ordered mine on a Saturday afternoon and I was supposed to get it yesterday but I guess my zip code was wrong so now it’s out for delivery now. It ships from Cali, so Cali to Florida using the slowest UPS shipping I guess.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

iiidmax just sent out an email about their black friday sale, 15% off their PLA+, coupon code CYBER15. Takes a 10 pack of PLA+ down to $109/shipped.

Fushion filaments also has a 20% off sale, their spools are a little more pricey but they have some more unique colors.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Any good ASA sales?

Been my go to filament since it seems just easier than PETG and I need UV resistance for a lot of my stuff.

Edit: Oh ya jeeze. Overture ASA is $20 on Amazon. Some of the others are on sale too.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Is ASA really that easy? I have some in a box still. Might give it a shot with my free time tomorrow

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

mattfl posted:

iiidmax just sent out an email about their black friday sale, 15% off their PLA+, coupon code CYBER15. Takes a 10 pack of PLA+ down to $109/shipped.

Fushion filaments also has a 20% off sale, their spools are a little more pricey but they have some more unique colors.

Cool was waiting for this.. but Probably only need like a 6 pack with some black/grey as I'm nearly out of those 2 popular colors
sucks it' sonly PLA+..

Speaking of filament.. I need some Grey ABS.. what amazon related brand is decent? Preferably with Plastic spool but cardboard'll do I ugess.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 21, 2023

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Macichne Leainig posted:

Is ASA really that easy? I have some in a box still. Might give it a shot with my free time tomorrow

Less wet filament issues, more warping issues. So depends on what you're printing.

Absolutely needs an enclosure of course.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bondematt posted:

Less wet filament issues, more warping issues. So depends on what you're printing.

Absolutely needs an enclosure of course.

I have an enclosed printer by virtue of my Creality K1 so I *think* I should be able to print it, printer's temperament aside

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Macichne Leainig posted:

I have an enclosed printer by virtue of my Creality K1 so I *think* I should be able to print it, printer's temperament aside

Yeah, K-1 should be perfect for it.

It flows much better than PETG too, so I don't get that occasional underextrusion I sometimes get with PETG that ruins the finish.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Does anyone here run a massive FDM printer like the Neptune 3 Max? I don't want one (nowhere to put it) but from a practicality perspective do you basically have to buy huge rolls of filament if you want to actually take advantage of that build volume? Or wait for it to pause from a filament sensor and then load a new roll?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

mattfl posted:

Do the iiidmax spools play nice with the Bambu AMS?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

WhiteHowler posted:

and since i have one now, what rolls specifically do not?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

if anyones looking for a resin printer black friday sale, this guy seems really killer. just grabbed a couple.
https://www.elegoo.com/products/elegoo-mars-4-max-msla-resin-3d-printer-with-6k-mono-lcd

kind of a weird model I havent seen pushed a tron by elegoo, but the price is really killer for what is basically a 6k 9.1 inch printer. All the modern stuff that the newer mars/saturns have as far as light sources and prote4ctive screens go, for 250 USD

Only caveat seems to be a lower z height for some reason at 122mm, but unless your really upsizing parts like me for customers etc it should handle 99% of what you'd ever want to throw at it

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 21, 2023

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

It's pretty much the only PLA I use. Only thing I'd recommend is printing a spool weight and filling it with pennies when the roll gets low, but that's most rolls since they get light.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
More questions:

Trying to compare the Elegoo Saturn 3 12K and the Anycubic Photon Mono M5s. They're about the same price and specs, though the Anycubic looks like it should give more consistent prints with the auto-leveling? Anything to recommend the Elegoo over the Anycubic?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

armorer posted:

Does anyone here run a massive FDM printer like the Neptune 3 Max? I don't want one (nowhere to put it) but from a practicality perspective do you basically have to buy huge rolls of filament if you want to actually take advantage of that build volume? Or wait for it to pause from a filament sensor and then load a new roll?

I have a Max

Most of the prints I run on it that use the volume end up sitting up right around a kilo, and that leads to me tweaking support and infill settings to try and shave off 50g to get it under 1kg
But now I've got a few 3kg spools sitting around for big jobs

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Failson posted:

More questions:

Trying to compare the Elegoo Saturn 3 12K and the Anycubic Photon Mono M5s. They're about the same price and specs, though the Anycubic looks like it should give more consistent prints with the auto-leveling? Anything to recommend the Elegoo over the Anycubic?

They're extremely similair. Elegoos customer service is pretty well regarded. anycubics is not

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Was looking at filament anyway so grabbed 10 rolls from IIID. Now to resist getting a P1S combo. God damnit.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Apropos of nothing, the Bambu P1P is another $60 off for Black Friday in addition to the previous $100 discount, coming in at $540 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Deviant posted:

and since i have one now, what rolls specifically do not?

Not specific to Bambu AMS but someone mentioned that Candy Red PLA sucked. I bought some before I read that and used it. Mostly it's okay like the other colors (adhesion, strength etc) except I had it jam my extruder pretty bad by having the tip break off deep inside when I went to unload it. I also experienced one or two related jams due to heat creep or something (it was a while ago). I have blue from the same brand and it's amazing, none of those problems at all.