Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bizwank posted:

those huge fume-capturing boots on their nozzles

ah, you mean the pump foreskins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I never see those in and around Portland

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Oh looks like the EPA actually phased that requirement out a long time ago (TL;DR: modern cars made them redundant), I guess there's just a bunch of stations around Seattle that still have em for some reason. Thanks Obama!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They're still everywhere in California, but California is...special.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
It depends on a lot of things. Those boots are related to vapor recovery. Most modern nozzles have a tube in a tube thing at the nozzle, to help with vapor recovery. I believe the boots were for before they went to the tube in a tube system, and were retrofits on the old style non recovery nozzles.

I'd bet. Costco is cheap. I'd also bet nozzle condoms are cheaper than "modern" nozzles. I'll put money, that they're using the cheapest pump handles they can get that are legally ok.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Sagebrush posted:

ah, you mean the pump foreskins

thread title

TotalLossBrain posted:

I never see those in and around Portland

I see them here and there, but mostly at neighborhood places with ooooold equipment.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Uncut gas only

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Chris Knight posted:

Uncut gas only

They cut all the gas with ethanol around here

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
One of the regional gas station/convenience store chains around here carries ethanol-free fuel in half of their stations so I'm never far away from that as an option. It's expensive as poo poo, but so is owning the bike.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
A few rural stations carry ethanol free premium which is all I use for the dirt bikes. It's currently around $5.50 which isn't bad at all

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm grateful that I have an ethanol free station nearby my house. Its more expensive but its only for the bike and yard tools.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
At least up until this year, Shell's top grade was ethanol-free in Ontario, so I'd always do a full tank of it right before storage.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Lol and also lmao, I've been worrying for nothing. Shell and Esso (ExxonMobil) are the only ones with 98 premium around here, and a couple of years back the pumps suddenly had 'E5' markings on them. (And the national drivers assoc. ran stories with "No ethanol-free fuel available any more - vintage car clubs in shambles").

But reading Essos webpage just now, and paraphrasing, "we are required to mark the fuel with E5 for up to 5% ethanol, but we are going to put 0% in, don't worry".

(Dunno what Shell are doing, they don't say either way.)

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Xakura posted:

But reading Essos webpage just now, and paraphrasing, "we are required to mark the fuel with E5 for up to 5% ethanol, but we are going to put 0% in, don't worry".

Is it in Esso’s financial interest to use ethanol in its gasoline? If so, I’d hardly believe their “pinky promise” that E5 is just a label.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

With consumer protection being what they are here, I can't imagine lying on a public statement going great for them. I'd be more worried if the text quietly disappeared.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Some percentage is good for both cars and plumbing. It stops water from pooling, same reason most brake fluid is somewhat hydroscopic. HEET? that fuel additive, is.. literally.. alcohol.

So why 5%? Fuel is mostly transported in pipelines, and years ago they stopped using pigs to separate batches in the line. This means, each batch mixes a bit with the previous and subsequent batches. Even if they order 0%, there will be ~some~ alcohol in their batch. So there's no practical way they could sell actual 0%. And I'll bet that's why they had to put some "minimum number" on their pumps.

Since we're talking about fuel. Most fuel is done in massive batches, and the differentiators are additive packages that each company chooses to add to their fuel. That 89 is probally the same 89 at every station in town, but Shell, Amoco, Sinclair are gonna have somewhat different additive packages.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

There's a place near me with ethanol free but it's regular only :/

Does anyone actually know how much regular (presumably) you get out of the pump when you switch to premium? I'm a huge range coward on my bike so I'm always just adding like 2.5 gallons at a time

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

Does anyone actually know how much regular (presumably) you get out of the pump when you switch to premium? I'm a huge range coward on my bike so I'm always just adding like 2.5 gallons at a time

It's a bit more than a quart. Assuming worst case scenario, you're putting in 2.20 gallons of 91, and .3 gallons of 87, your fuel is going to be 90.5 octane. The fuel sitting in your tank for a week will affect it's octane more. Octane doesn't matter as much as you might imagine. Unless you're wrapping that throttle wide open all the time, you're probably gonna be fine. Most of the time the engine is running in an under vacuum situation, so the cylinder pressures will be lower, and you're not going to need the anti-detonation of higher octane. A point or two of octane rating wouldn't bother me one bit.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Cool I had no idea. I'm not all that worried about the octane since the tiger is tuned pretty conservatively and only "requires" 89 but it's a thought I have every time I fill the thing up

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Do most modern bike engines use anti-knock sensors and the like to keep engines from actually being damaged in those cases, the way (I think) almost all cars do now?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Do most modern bike engines use anti-knock sensors and the like to keep engines from actually being damaged in those cases, the way (I think) almost all cars do now?

Most bike engines do not, don't run lower octane fuel if your bike isn't made for it

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Arson Daily posted:

I always heard a couple of liters but I usually pumped out a gallon into my car's gas tank when filling the gas can for my go kart with premium which was probably leaning towards overkill.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Do bikes seriously not have an anti knock sensor? My loving Scirocco had one of those lmao. Like is the ignition advance just fixed?

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 22, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The assumption is you'll use the correct fuel for your engine yes

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

so does a car engine, that doesn't preclude it from using a knock sensor to monitor the ignition timing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's not what knock sensors really do. Your car isn't using the knock sensor constantly, it only uses it to pull back timing when the engine starts to knock. There will be some kind of learning aspect to it so it's not constantly bouncing off the knock limit, but that doesn't really change the fact that if you're controlling fuel delivery directly and regulating it for engine and air temperature, you don't need a knock sensor to run the most advanced timing possible. Cars have them as idiot proofing but they don't really help performance or efficiency or anything.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I daily drove a lovely Bosch Jetronic car for like 5 years. I'm well aware how ignition timing and advance works. I'm just asking if bike manufacturers are so loving cheap that they can't put a knock sensor on the engine. No need to freak out bro

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If I put higher octane fuel into the mt03 I get worse gas mileage.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I put JET FUEL in my bike because JETS are cool and need the BEST fuel so when I get that ROCKET fuel in there my bike takes off like a ROCKET!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tony quidtana posted:

I daily drove a lovely Bosch Jetronic car for like 5 years. I'm well aware how ignition timing and advance works. I'm just asking if bike manufacturers are so loving cheap that they can't put a knock sensor on the engine. No need to freak out bro

:confused:

Russian Bear posted:

I've encountered this before and I've also encountered low compression bikes (so, Harleys) being harder to start with higher octane, I guess cause it's harder to ignite? But idk maybe nerobro would know more about that

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Arson Daily posted:

I'm a huge range coward on my bike so I'm always just adding like 2.5 gallons at a time
:same:

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

With the VanVan I wait until the fuel light comes on, and that's still only 1.2 US Gallons. I've had a small bladder my entire life and it's exactly like that.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Gaschat reminded me that the US Marines commissioned a bike that could run on diesel or JP8 jet fuel: https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/warhorse-us-marine-corps-has-jet-fuel-powered-motorcycle-188413

96 mpg on a KLR650 chassis

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

tony quidtana posted:

Nice meltdown bro

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s definitely Fall. Air is crisper, days are shorter, leaves are falling and someone in the bike discussion thread is jumping down Slavvys throat for trying to be helpful

:coffeepal:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

Higher octane fuel contains less energy, and it burns slower. So... if your fuel is burning slower, you're going to have lower average cylinder pressure. That means you need to run with a more open throttle for the same power. I'm not surprised.

T Zero posted:

Gaschat reminded me that the US Marines commissioned a bike that could run on diesel or JP8 jet fuel: https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/warhorse-us-marine-corps-has-jet-fuel-powered-motorcycle-188413

And 28hp.

tony quidtana posted:

Do bikes seriously not have an anti knock sensor? My loving Scirocco had one of those lmao. Like is the ignition advance just fixed?

It's shocking how primitive most motorcycle EFI is. It's ~just blind~ on a lot of bikes. They typically don't have any sort of MAF, and just ~guess~ at air density. Only some have O2 sensors. Knock sensors are.. nice.. but also are problematic in high HP/L situations. Motorcycle engines are noisy, and I could see trying to get a knock sensor to play nice on a 10krpm thing with a gearbox in it, and a giant chain slapping the case to be... pretty tricky.

Arson Daily posted:

I put JET FUEL in my bike because JETS are cool and need the BEST fuel so when I get that ROCKET fuel in there my bike takes off like a ROCKET!

I know you're joking. But the reality is even more fun. Hydrazine was used as a fuel additive in the 50's. It's literally rocket fuel. Also, had a habit of making fuel tanks detonate. It was ~very~ effective.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 22, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I used to run 100LL avgas in a modified higher compression 2-stroke as cheap high octane gas. Oxygenated race fuel is MUCH better even in the same engine, let alone one built for it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nerobro posted:

And 28hp.

impressive that they managed to improve on the stock KLR motor

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

T Zero posted:

It was slower than the original klr. with lots of bespoke fragile parts.

Basically an inverse ktm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nerobro posted:

It's shocking how primitive most motorcycle EFI is. It's ~just blind~ on a lot of bikes. They typically don't have any sort of MAF, and just ~guess~ at air density. Only some have O2 sensors. Knock sensors are.. nice.. but also are problematic in high HP/L situations. Motorcycle engines are noisy, and I could see trying to get a knock sensor to play nice on a 10krpm thing with a gearbox in it, and a giant chain slapping the case to be... pretty tricky.

Basically every bike has an O2 sensor + cat nowadays, the majority of efi bikes have a MAP sensor from what I've seen. They're primitive in that sense, but they also have far more sophisticated systems than cars when it comes to improving rideability and response like secondary butterflies, showerhead injectors, variable length venturi systems and so on

I worked on a Trident 650 the other day and was stunned when I pulled the tank off and saw an intake plenum terminating at just one TB like a car