Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i could cut magma i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Luffy... we didn't put the turkey in the fridge in time, it won't thaw out by thanksgiving...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Put it on Sanji's leg

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

lmao at all of it

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Monet was basically a turkey that couldn't defrost

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

This and other jokes like it aren’t funny!!!! They’d be funny if usopp at any point in the story disapproved of his dad but he doesn’t!!!!!!! The ‘good’ timeline usopp is him loving off back to the sea and leaving his family behind at 60! He thinks his dad is cool!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Meme Emulator posted:

This and other jokes like it aren’t funny!!!! They’d be funny if usopp at any point in the story disapproved of his dad but he doesn’t!!!!!!! The ‘good’ timeline usopp is him loving off back to the sea and leaving his family behind at 60! He thinks his dad is cool!

i don't think usopp being an idiot about this really factors into whether or not it's funny at all

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Meme Emulator posted:

The meme was made by usopp

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

That's Usopp's mom though.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Usopp is his mom.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Doctor Syrup posted:

oh lol is that why they're confused, they didn't realize that

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

why does Usopp's mom have curly hair and a beard tho?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Doctor Syrup posted:

Oh lol never mind then

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

why does Usopp's mom have curly hair and a beard tho?

Yasopp sees the inner beauty?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Liar Usopp says he’s totally cool and not traumatized by his dad abandoning him

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This is where i unironically believe we will be in 3-4 years

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

drat, Oda's art continues to deteriorate :ohdear:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lmao

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
No poo poo, I am ecstatic for the idea that Laugh Tale might turn into a Fatal 4-Way match between the current emperors and Buggy is going to CUT THE gently caress LOOSE, awaken his fruit and start landing solid hits way above his weight class and Shanks will be the only one who even sort of sees it coming.

I am absolutely ready for reverse-fraud Buggy.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
The final showdown will have Buggy demonstrating his ability to cut diamonds and terraform the earth (it will be Mihawk and Crocodile secretly from the shadows)

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Buggy and Usopp eventually just get into a lie-off that shatters the Red Line

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The secret to One Piece isn't the Grand Line

It's the Grand Lie

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Desumaytah posted:

No poo poo, I am ecstatic for the idea that Laugh Tale might turn into a Fatal 4-Way match between the current emperors and Buggy is going to CUT THE gently caress LOOSE, awaken his fruit and start landing solid hits way above his weight class and Shanks will be the only one who even sort of sees it coming.

Honestly that would rule.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

estimated: true worm

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I do believe that buggy hard counters Shanks (and Mihawk) and once Cross Guild recruits Moria and the Doflamingo Family they could easily beat the Red Hair Pirates in a fight for the poneglyphs

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I am torn between Buggy awakening and doing some loving Feats™ that maybe wouldn't work in a normal fight, but the combination of free for all and that it's powers nobody's ever seen before (how DO you deal with your arm suddenly being sliced in 35 independent pieces?) makes him seemingly the victor right away (Luffy, of course, would hard counter by having every piece become a Jerry-sized little Luffy)

or

Smash Bros and like most of Buggy is on the field crying and pissing in front of everyone so nobody notices his hands and other limbs are heading straight to the One Piece.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Desumaytah posted:

it'll be a davy back tho

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Buggy accidentally awakens his fruit and can't figure out how to put himself or anyone/anything else back together.

Then Law shows up.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

Then Law shows up.

I was showing some Mortal Kombat 1 stuff to a buddy, we got to Havik's fatality, put simply, pulls his heart out, pulls opponents out, puts his in em and it kills em, my buddy after a stunned second goes, "SHAMBLES?" and might have been some of the hardest I've laughed in a minute.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Yardbomb posted:

I was showing some Mortal Kombat 1 stuff to a buddy, we got to Havik's fatality, put simply, pulls his heart out, pulls opponents out, puts his in em and it kills em, my buddy after a stunned second goes, "SHAMBLES?" and might have been some of the hardest I've laughed in a minute.

there are not many mistranslations that I will stand behind. Laugh Tale's fine, Paramythia if that's what you want sure, but there's no loving way that Law's main attack is "Room: Rooms"

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
there are so many that bug me, even just from people in this thread. not even counting untranslated stuff that somehow still survives unironically in tyool 2023

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite old timey "What is this translation" is always gonna be the Band of the Hawk goobers translating Berserk and making Guts Gattsu and Griffith Griffisu and REFUSING to budge when people would gripe at them.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The translation mess is fun! I enjoy talking about the Navy and the Tenryubito in the same post. I'll happily say Yoko in one sentence and Emperor in the next. Such a rich and confusing translation history deserves to be played with a bit.

My only absolute consistency is whenever I use the word "comrade" I mean nakama. Not going to budge on that one.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

they may take our lives, but they'll never take our Griffisu

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Yardbomb posted:

My favorite old timey "What is this translation" is always gonna be the Band of the Hawk goobers translating Berserk and making Guts Gattsu and Griffith Griffisu and REFUSING to budge when people would gripe at them.

No one has ever been more stubborn or zealously convinced of their correctness than old school fan translators with a character name or "single", and extremely untranslatable into non-Japanese, term. Everyone knows that the best translations leave half the sentence in the original language with side notes explaining the untranslated words.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Desumaytah posted:

I know he's a general haki man but shanks uses a sword and buggy is specifically immune to them per mihawks attacks at marineford

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I'll admit it, Zoro v Zolo was something it took my brain a long time to untangle, I don't know why.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

it's because he's just like a samurai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Jose posted:

I know he's a general haki man but shanks uses a sword and buggy is specifically immune to them per mihawks attacks at marineford

Hm. So they've never really been super clear on whether Haki lets you overcome non-Logia fruits before. We were introduced to it being used to hit the rubber man but like, Luffy isn't a rubber man, he's got a mythical zoan fruit