Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

ImpAtom posted:

Ascend really does start to shine once you start doing Shrines and see all the immensely useful ways it can function. It's honestly probably the MVP of the abilities in the game in terms of flexibility and usefulness. (Outside of Ultrahand's uh, everything.)

I used the gently caress out of it exploring sky islands and the Depths. It's a really nice complement to the hang glider for making vertical traversal more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
In tears the discovery that the balloons did not need a flame jet and would work perfectly well with a bundle of wood and flint was nice.

Made the autobuild balloon with the big basket actually worth it

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I feel like it was a much needed power, if you had to schlep all the way back out of a dungeon it would be just awful, especially when a lot of those caves were fairly long. On the other hand Nintendo could have just teleported you out once you got whatever was in there but where's the fun in that.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

ZeusCannon posted:

In tears the discovery that the balloons did not need a flame jet and would work perfectly well with a bundle of wood and flint was nice.

It also worked with a few other things, a lit torch for sure but it might also work with other fiery items. I would have to boot the game up and see.

Im also pretty sure it worked with the intensity of the flame, so tossing a pinecone or oil on the fire means it goes up faster?

So many times in TOTK i stopped playing for a while so I could go to the Tarrey Town Science Center (the collection of boxes i called my house) in order to test theories like "whats better: Revali's Gale or Wood, Flint, and Oil" Revali 0 Nature 1 and "whats a cheap/useful autobuild for launching up to Gleeok height" trick question just build the campfire with pinecones or "Can fans and carts get along?" like oil and water, but if you get used to the controls it's perfectly OK for quick/cheap straight-line sprints on grass

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

One of a Kind posted:

I always liked those scenes in Monstro Town where he meets two of his generals who deserted his army; you'd think he'd be upset but he's ok with them living their lives.

The remake actually added to that little plotline by changing Bowser's dialogue during the cutscene in Rose Way - he name-drops Jagger the Terrapin and Goomhilde the Goomba as two of the three troop leaders.

Minions type enemies will flee when you go to the castle again if Bowser is in your active party lol. It explicitly says they ran from Bowser.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Power Wash also has the benefit of power washing just being super satisfying to watch/do for some reason. There's a reason that there's hundreds of videos on youtube of stuff getting power washed.

With Viscera Cleanup Detail you have to slowly mop up pre-defined patches of stuff, so it doesn't get that same satisfaction.

Also you can draw/write with the power washer.

ZeusCannon posted:

I'm still annoyed that all the NPCs get to use balloons to go up and down from the Depths but mine time out before I even reach the tunnel mouth :argh:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Bowser is such a good boss in SMRPG. He never berates his minions, they all seem to have genuine respect for him, and in the end, he can be seen personally working to repair his castle, while some of his minions goof off in the clown car.

this pretty much set the tone for bowser whenever he has characterization beyond "roar and kidnap." his son adores him and any time some original-flavor badguy takes his place in the rpg's they have to brainwash all his minions first because they instantly unite against anyone who stands against him

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
What's the current status of Bowser and his kids? When I was growing up of course we had all the Koopa Kids from Mario 3 but I guess they've been retconned out, and Bowser has only one kid, and ... am I wrong, or is the mother supposed to be the Princess? I know that was a plot point in Sunshine somehow.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the koopalings are still around but they're not as prominent as junior, who only thinks peach is his mother. which is unlikely, since his dad seems pathologically incapable of asking someone out without making it into a military campaign

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

credburn posted:

What's the current status of Bowser and his kids? When I was growing up of course we had all the Koopa Kids from Mario 3 but I guess they've been retconned out, and Bowser has only one kid, and ... am I wrong, or is the mother supposed to be the Princess? I know that was a plot point in Sunshine somehow.

The Koopalings are around but they aren’t bowser’s kids anymore. In Sunshine Bowser tells junior that Peach is his mother but admits in the end that it was a lie. I doubt it will ever be revealed who junior’s mother actually is, since the Mario series generally avoids that kind of character development.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Bowser fucks, canonically.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Given the setting, it's entirely possible that Junior is some hosed up mushroom or something.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Actually Bowser is the mom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bowser Jr is actually Bowser's self from the past, teleported forward into the future after the events of Yoshi's Island. Bowser raises him as his son because he knows that if anything happens to him Bowser will also cease to exist.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Kennel posted:

Actually Bowser is the mom.

Jurassic Park was originally about Bowser

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
As detailed in my fanfiction, Bowser, Mario, and Peach are a polycule with a kidnapping fetish.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm still expecting Daisy to kidnap Bowser some day.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm still expecting Daisy to kidnap Bowser some day.

To get back her son :tinfoil:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I was really disappointed that the movie version of Bowser was so far off from the SMRPG etc characterization. Offering a human sacrifice to win Peach's affection just felt off, and I kept waiting for the Jack Black casting to pay off with some sort of sympathetic beat and it never happened.

I just want the haiku scene from SMRPG performed by Jack Black, was that too much to ask?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda funny that after all the years of people going 'Where are the Koopalings!? Did Bowser Jr replace them?' they brought out New Super Mario Bros Wii that had Bowser Jr AND the Koopalings. Actually also giving them distinct niches, the Koopalings as goofy lieutenants who each have their own special boss fight gimmicks, while Bowser Jr is a recurring boss with variations on a theme.

Also see that adorable official video explaining Parental Controls that uses Bowser and Bowser Jr. as the go-to parent and child.

Randalor posted:

Mrs Randalor started playing it last night, I think her favorite thing in the game so far is Mallow's little happy dance on the level up screen. It is oddly adorable.

Also holy crap I never knew that the Spikeys in that game were guys wearing spike-covered armor, I thought they were just spiked piranha plant heads with tiny arms and legs and small yellow teeth.

A lot of the enemies and environments were a bit hard to make out exactly what they were in the original due to sprite limitations, but I get the feeling they flat out got out the old concept art from all those years ago when doing the remake- it's basically the game they wanted to make 25 years ago.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Bowser is such a good boss in SMRPG. He never berates his minions, they all seem to have genuine respect for him, and in the end, he can be seen personally working to repair his castle, while some of his minions goof off in the clown car.

Bowser's Inside Story does some very similar things. He has his moments as you'd expect from a giant angry proud villain but at worst he's a drill sergeant, and his special moves involve coordinating with them to combine their special abilities with his strength. And the ending also has them fixing up Bowser's castle... juxtaposed with the Toads fixing up Peach's castle, and a bit of a theme that the two kingdoms aren't so different.

Oxxidation posted:

this pretty much set the tone for bowser whenever he has characterization beyond "roar and kidnap." his son adores him and any time some original-flavor badguy takes his place in the rpg's they have to brainwash all his minions first because they instantly unite against anyone who stands against him

Never realised how much that specifically was a thing, either mind controlling Bowser himself or his minions. (Cackletta and Fawful respectively iirc?)

Also funny how besides Mario being a weird squat in-between stage between the regular and Super Mushroom forms, most of the SMRPG remake models are pretty much just the usual designs they use today... but matches up perfectly with the originals, because that's when they first made them. Pretty much the first time they had to think about modelling these characters to be seen from all directions in a 3D environment, figures that they decided to work on designs they could stick with going forward.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Never realised how much that specifically was a thing, either mind controlling Bowser himself or his minions. (Cackletta and Fawful respectively iirc?)

Super Paper Mario had Count Bleck's crew do the brainwashing. It's a little overshadowed there because a big part of the story is them also getting Luigi.

I think the only Mario RPG that had a non-Bowser villain and didn't pull the brainwashing was Thousand-Year Door. And that still had Bowser as an antagonistic force, just not the force. I believe it's just implied that all the usual Bowser-troops in that game are way outside the Koopa Kingdom, though, so they're just doing their own thing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

also origami king, which includes another running theme of junior instantly dropping all hostilities and calling truce when his dad's under threat by anyone other than mario.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

All this mention of cleaning game crossovers makes me ponder a game where you gotta clean up the Whirling-In-Rags hotel room.

Cleretic posted:

Super Paper Mario had Count Bleck's crew do the brainwashing. It's a little overshadowed there because a big part of the story is them also getting Luigi.

I think the only Mario RPG that had a non-Bowser villain and didn't pull the brainwashing was Thousand-Year Door. And that still had Bowser as an antagonistic force, just not the force. I believe it's just implied that all the usual Bowser-troops in that game are way outside the Koopa Kingdom, though, so they're just doing their own thing.

There's also the implication that at least some of the Bowser troops are on his payroll and doing their usual job of attacking Mario on sight, iirc. The implication is Bowser is one step behind Mario plot-wise, since the various schemes don't involve him; and one reason he often teams up with Mario is basically 'Only I'm allowed to kidnap Princess Peach!'

Some amusing implications that being neighbours, the Mushroom Kingdom and Koopa Kingdom tend to actually get along pretty well between and even sometimes during kidnappings. Pretty sure the Paper Mario games have various citizens of either joining in recreational activities. And then the guards in the castle inviting Peach to trivia night- can't say they're not keeping an eye on her, can you?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Icedude posted:

I'm still annoyed that all the NPCs get to use balloons to go up and down from the Depths but mine time out before I even reach the tunnel mouth :argh:

Yeah time outs in that game were bullshit and Nintendo were cowards for implementing them

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

All this mention of cleaning game crossovers makes me ponder a game where you gotta clean up the Whirling-In-Rags hotel room.

That would be an interesting thing. Combine the general pick up and dispose of trash mechanics of Viscera Cleanup, with the more chill atmosphere of Powerwash Simulator.

I keep kind of hoping that PWS will eventually get some kind of mod/user generated content support.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

CzarChasm posted:

That would be an interesting thing. Combine the general pick up and dispose of trash mechanics of Viscera Cleanup, with the more chill atmosphere of Powerwash Simulator.

I keep kind of hoping that PWS will eventually get some kind of mod/user generated content support.

Sex With Hitler crossover when

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

CzarChasm posted:

I would expect to see 1:1 scale replicas of the Enterprise or any famous landmark within the week.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Red Minjo posted:

All of the other instances have some sort of way to shut off/turn back on the object in motion. The carousel in particular has not turning it off be an achievement.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the carousel. Probably because that was my least favorite of the story levels. I had trouble finding some of the small amounts of dirt in some areas and it was very frustrating.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

Given how relatively ""simple"" the premise is (i cannot imagine how complicated it actually is under the hood) and how it has VR support, I think its more likely a game like VRChat or Roblox ends up bootlegging the concept onto already-made maps

VR Powerwash looks totally different, you move so much more quickly through the game because you dont have to toggle between FPS mode and free-movement of the powerwasher within your screen. Just hipfire powerwash everything all the time. I bet finding the last few spots of dirt is way worse when its on the bottom of a wheel well or something though

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Voices Of The Void added a bunch of cleaning mechanics in one of the recent updates, if you find the idea of mixing a Signal Simulator-like game loop and some horror elements into the game interesting.

It's more VCD level rather than Powerwash level of detail, but it definitely scratches the itch if you care to get into it, and no gore* either.

*Unless you really gently caress up during some of the events, if you have them turned on.

Icedude has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Nov 22, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

moosecow333 posted:

I would expect to see 1:1 scale replicas of the Enterprise or any famous landmark within the week.

Clean the entirety of Skyrim.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
During demo fest there was a demo for a Crime scene Cleaner, as in cleaning up the evidence. It leans towards the VCD side but not as mean about it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The genius of Powerwash Simulator is that it allows for literally any setpiece or vehicle from any media to be plunked down into it.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

Within like a day more like.

They can just rip the model from the dozen other modern HD Star Trek games and throw it in :v: I can't imagine the PWS devs haven't streamlined the map making process for the game. Making something dirty may as well be as simple as just throwing texture or shader or something on top of things.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

PWS: Nostromo. Just watch out for the alien! Because it's covered in blood and oil and you have to hose it down.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
More of how detailed Callisto Protocol's gameplay really is: If you spot Grabber sacs you can pop them early. Sometimes the game will spook you with one around a corner... But you can six them anyway if you're quick enough.

https://i.imgur.com/1BLkIEd.mp4
(These have sound, sorry)

Slow motion :clint::

https://i.imgur.com/wuUlbId.mp4

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Nov 22, 2023

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ZeusCannon posted:

WHAT

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

THEY WERE SURPRISED BY THE DISCOVERY THAT THE BALLOONS DID NOT NEED A FLAME JET AND WOULD WORK PERFECTLY WELL WITH A BUNDLE OF WOOD AND FLINT

APPARENTLY IT MADE THE AUTOBUILD BALLOON WITH THE BIG BASKET ACTUALLY WORTH IT

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The Super Mario RPG remake has an enemy bestiary that really understands the sense of humor of SNES-era Square. But one of them just quietly blew the minds of everyone who saw it.

https://twitter.com/KirbyCheatFurby/status/1726815235531735530

Sure enough, there just aren't swords in mainline Mario games, you can check. And the few that exist in Mario spinoffs are almost exclusively pirate cutlasses, so none of those would be named Excalibur, either!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Does Link in Super Mario Maker count?