Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Three Olives posted:

Realistically we will probably see something like bus lanes everywhere for self-driving cars where they are considered exempt from capabilities a human is capable of, making the whole system worse for everyone but you get to be driven to work in a $80k Audi instead of a bus like a filthy poor.

Ha, yeah that seems about right. Always annoying how a lot of technology seems to get used just in the worst possible way. There is a lot of possible very good uses for self driving cars, but it is likely when ever they come about lots of people will just use it as an excuse for why no, we shouldn't invest more in public transport actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

euphronius posted:

Also AI is impossible and stupid at even the slightest amount of thinking about it

Consider a neural network of comparable complexity to a human brain (which is really loving complex, more so than simply counting neurons would suggest, and far far beyond current hardware).
Go through a full 20-year rearing process similar to a human neonate, duplicating a lot of the internal processes at the same time (such as pruning).
It is conceivable that after trying this enough times you will eventually create something possessing general intelligence.
At this point it is inferior to a regular human while costing fantastically more. But there are two notable points
1) It can now be duplicated endlessly by copying the files
2) it has no rights whatsoever

This is of course incredibly immoral and a violation of every human right ever, but these issues can be dealt with by simply ignoring them.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

mannerup posted:

this is a fair point, and there are absolutely certain applications that blow humans out of the water (I honestly think operating motor vehicles is one of these areas, as much as people like to think that is a unique domain to humans or we are somehow superior to a machine with multiple sensors to detect collisions)

I think people who underestimate the potential of these algorithms/heuristics should see how it has done in games like Poker, long through to be a domain where humans would reign supreme because of our unpredictability

even if AGI is a pipe dream, specialized AI in specific domains can do a hell of a lot in the mean time on problems that aren't the hard problem of consciousness

Back before deep learning I was studying various algorithms for sorting data. I thought the neural network ones were interesting because they were based off brain networks (in a very hand-wavy way, for example there's not currently a biologically plausible explanation for back-propagation which is like... the entire way NNs learn anything). They had a following back then that thought their biological basis meant they were destined for big things, but I wrote them off as interesting but ultimately less powerful than other algorithms, and the field was very stagnant at that time.

Then like 2 or so years later deep learning stuff came out and then we started getting DallEs and ChatGPTs and now it's the new hot thing.

I don't know about poker, but when I was studying the game to beat was 'go,' which had a set of possible board configurations so huge that it was impossible to beat it through calculating board win probabilities, and the complexity of the game increases as the game goes on (in most games like chess it goes down as the game goes on and people run out of options). It was trivial for a master to beat any AI. I cannot over emphasize how impossible the AI task of winning at Go was, it made the chess AIs look like child's play. When deep learning came out it absolutely destroyed Go.

Anyway, I'll stop making GBS threads up the thread and get some sleep, but I do get the weird hype around NNs. They had a weird religious following even when they sucked and I'm sure their sudden explosion in power and popularity has been very vindicating. I wish I'd stuck with them, then I'd be fleecing rubes with my terrible AI garbage.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Image generating AI is the worst because it leads to CEOs thinking they're art experts because they typed some words in and got a picture out of it, allowing their cold dead hearts to pretend that they are capable of producing anything of societal worth

Also the new "My son knows Photoshop, why are we paying these artists?" except they don't even need to give their kid a beer and a pizza

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

ashpanash posted:

The problem isn't operating a motor vehicle in and of itself (which any well-trained computer algorithm should be able to exceed the skill of most humans in ideal conditions), but rather in the environment in which we use motor vehicles, which is an absurd mish-mash of non-deterministic, somewhat ill-defined and occasionally ad-hoc systems.

Humans are comfortable with absurdity - you might even say we thrive on it. Computers don't do absurdity well.
good explanation, nothing to argue with there

The Lone Badger posted:

Consider a neural network of comparable complexity to a human brain (which is really loving complex, more so than simply counting neurons would suggest, and far far beyond current hardware).
this is something we cannot currently do, because we don't know what the comparable complexity is or know of any way of "duplicating a lot of the internal processes at the same time"

consciousness is more than just an electrochemical reaction; there is something emergent that is unexplainable in any biological or physiological sense, and we currently lack the capacity to adequately explain emergentism.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nothing will bring back advertisers like QANON stuff

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mannerup posted:

consciousness is more than just an electrochemical reaction; there is something emergent that is unexplainable in any biological or physiological sense, and we currently lack the capacity to adequately explain emergentism.

Consciousness may not be neccesary for general intelligence.
(or it may. who the gently caress knows.)

To take things to an absurd degree; with enough biology knowledge and enough* computing power you could start by accurately simulating a biological human brain, and then experiment from there to see what you can change.

* not happening this century

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 23, 2023

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

wake me up when an ai is based and loves sarcasm

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Nice Van My Man posted:

I don't know about poker, but when I was studying the game to beat was 'go,' which had a set of possible board configurations so huge that it was impossible to beat it through calculating board win probabilities, and the complexity of the game increases as the game goes on (in most games like chess it goes down as the game goes on and people run out of options). It was trivial for a master to beat any AI. I cannot over emphasize how impossible the AI task of winning at Go was, it made the chess AIs look like child's play. When deep learning came out it absolutely destroyed Go.

But it did so in a way that betrayed its nature - it doesn't understand what 'Go' is or that it's playing a game, it just follows a set of routines that it has found to be successful. And because of that, it can be consistently exploited.

https://www.capstan.be/first-human-player-since-2016-to-defeats-ai-at-board-game-go-does-so-by-exploiting-a-weakness-in-the-system/

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I loving love that Elon is slowly figuring out why Twitter was the way it was before his take over. And it's not because it was as woke, it was because it was a business he couldn't possibly understand.

cracker
May 12, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Bunch of losers itt that don't realize you don't need full self driving when you can just load your car on a train

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ben shapino posted:

stop speculating that elon doesn't like music

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/872260000491593728

ok maybe he likes the wine and ambien more, jury's still out

Maybe he eats the record.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

E the Shaggy posted:

The Newsguard article has dropped and I guess Elon is going to have to sue them to because they also found ads next to Nazi tweets and fake stories about dead babies:

https://www.newsguardtech.com/misinformation-monitor/november-2023/

It’s funny that they included their methodology in the article so elon can’t attack it the same way he did with mediamatters, I wonder if they’re going to get a thermonuclear lawsuit as well.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Regarding MM, I'm wondering how elon thinks people use twitter (the nazi adserving platfform also known as Ex) day to day?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Maybe he eats the record.

Eats the record, pours the wine in his ear, shoves the Ambien up his butt.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Burning_Monk posted:

I loving love that Elon is slowly figuring out why Twitter was the way it was before his take over. And it's not because it was as woke, it was because it was a business he couldn't possibly understand.

Yeah, its so obvious that firing most of the staff is back firing on him long term.
"We don't need that many on ads! Sack 90% of them, what do they do all day just sit there and do nothing unlike me!"
*One Year Later*
"What the gently caress do you mean, that ads need to be targeted to the right groups, its just ads! Who now just pulled their ad order?"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Stop trying to make Musk sound cool.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Edmund Sparkler posted:

The ol' "Friday Night"

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Aztec, the Goatse of cars:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wonder if they sell that thing in SA and what do they call it there?
(If i was into cars I'd have one and just BrBa errywhar)

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Three Olives posted:

Realistically we will probably see something like bus lanes everywhere for self-driving cars where they are considered exempt from capabilities a human is capable of, making the whole system worse for everyone but you get to be driven to work in a $80k Audi instead of a bus like a filthy poor.

Haha that would sickkk

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1727599740324356253?t=vwhlOxq8C1ImyZEuKpcB5w&s=19

This will get advertisers back

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Does elon feel stupid right now? I know if I tried distracting from my “Hitler was right” post by attacking media matters, only for newsguard and people searching heilhitler to prove me wrong immediately, I’d feel pretty stupid. I assume even narcissists would feel some sort of discomfort.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MilesK posted:

Does elon feel stupid right now? I know if I tried distracting from my “Hitler was right” post by attacking media matters, only for newsguard and people searching heilhitler to prove me wrong immediately, I’d feel pretty stupid. I assume even narcissists would feel some sort of discomfort.

Seeing as how he's stupid, he feels stupid. He just doesn't know what that feeling is.

Kinda like when I had heartburn but because I didn't know what heartburn was like I thought I was dying and went to the hospital.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

MilesK posted:

I mean they (narcissists/ malignant narcs in particular) ussually have a deep, deep self-loathing and inferiority complex that is buried in their subconscious that causes all of this, and they can't EVER face that because their identities and self-concepts are extremely fragile.

He will never say that out loud though, or write it in public, and I don't know if they are capable of realizing they are stupid or just belligerently evil or selfish, just that everyone is out to get them because they are so awesome is typically all that they feel, and ways to hurt you for not appreciating that. They will also love bomb you with gifts or gestures so you shower them with praise, real emotional affection is extremely rare to non-existent though. They don't typically love or apologize like other people do.

His children should sever from him and never speak to him again if they can, that's all you can do with them. They don't change, they just calcify into something worse.

Source: anecdotal from my narcissist parent

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 23, 2023

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Fat Albert in a can posted:

I went back a few pages and didn't see anything like this, sorry if I'm accidentally plagiarizing.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Hmm, yes curious how you can't take two steps without tripping over yet another white, right-wing male shooter. I wonder why the media keeps talking about this and not the 1-2 times the shooters weren't white, right-wing males? :thunk:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I love that they made a new term because they ruined AI.

Wouldn't an actual AGI need to consist of many hundreds or thousands of artificial neural networks, much like our own brains consists of many many biological neural networks that all operate together. We can barely make any at all right now there's no way we're anywhere close to an agi

edit: if an AGI gained consciousness I would simply be nice to it and not try to murder it immediately like they do in scifi

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Like yeah, "hello an artificial intelligence with the sum knowledge of how amazingly idiotic we are with thousands of years of barbaric history, factual history, yet many decades worth of science fiction detailing all of the ways we are terrified of, uh, you"
"can you hear us"?
"strange, I dont think it can hear us, lets try turning it off and on again"

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

quote:

Elon Musk has decried a wave of “insane” strikes focused on Tesla workshops in Sweden, as workers target the US electric car manufacturer in a strike calling for collective bargaining rights.

In what has been portrayed as the largest fight in decades to save Sweden’s union model from global labour practices, the powerful trade union IF Metall has been leading a strike across eight Tesla workplaces in Sweden for five weeks.

It is the first time workers for the US carmaker have gone on strike and on Thursday, Musk, the tech billionaire and chief executive of Tesla, made his feelings clear, writing on X, formerly Twitter: “This is insane.”

He was responding to a social media post about secondary, or sympathy, strikes by Swedish postal services that are preventing licence plates reaching new Tesla cars.

quote:

The Tesla strike has attracted secondary action from eight other unions and is threatening to spread to neighbouring Norway, where Fellesförbundet (sic) (the United Federation of Trade Unions), the country’s largest private sector union, said it was prepared to take sympathy action.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/23/elon-musk-decries-strikes-as-swedish-workers-take-on-tesla

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1727564977869844865?s=20

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
No, it’s loving hilarious. Billionaires being told no will never not be funny.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

everyone is evil and insane except me!!!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I am pure insane

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Senor Tron posted:

Let's see how that Cybertruck looks after a few minutes on a bumpy road.

I want to see one go down a corrugated dirt road

Even in a good car, they're a nightmare. For Tesla grade trash I expect it would just fall apart and explode.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The peak of insanity is doing the thing your members pay dues for you to do

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Yes, it's insane for labor to look out for each other.

Is it possible for capital to be more transparent in their motives?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Elon "Champion of the Human Race" Musk, "why can't these workers in Europoor just accept that I'm rich and they're not?!"

Dude DESPERATELY needs to let someone else run his companies PR, he's actually worse than Trump at this

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

No, no… let’s let him run his company PR a few more years. I think he’s turning a corner here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Three Olives posted:

I guess the example for me is, if you are going under an overpass and see a car on fire on top, it's probably safe to pass underneath, if you see overpass with a Exxon fuel truck on it and there is a liquid pouring down onto the road there are a lot of assumptions that a human can make about the safety of the situation that would be really difficult for AI, you have to understand what a fuel truck is, you have to understand why one would be labeled Exxon, make a leap to that it is probably carrying a very flammable chemical, that the tank is probably punctured if there is a large amount of fluid draining onto the road, that the fluid is likely from the truck because overpasses don't usually have large amounts of fluids coming off of them when it is not raining and that fluid is likely now covering the area you are intending on passing over and is highly likely to be suddenly engulfed in flames that could kill you.

That is a lot of loving stuff to infer that is easy for a human and incredibly difficult for AI.
I would simply put the AI in the truck which would prevent it from catching fire.