Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://x.com/budsallday34/status/1727746092236763249?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

The question is: why was he signed in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Big mistake! Big. Hughe!

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

My best answer for this is that I don’t believe he is hurt and the leafs once again are cheating the cap but in a way that isn’t as cool as when the lightning cheated the cap and won the Stanley cup three times, one more than the kings who are from the 60s. Lmao.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The counterpoint, if we want to ignore Klingberg’s well-documented injury history and decline, is that if the Leafs are willing to force an underperformer off the active roster then why is Reaves still on the team?

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
It’s because they love him, Because they’re stupid.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's not the Leafs if they're not having players grind through injuries in the least critical points of the season until they're too crippled to skate in the playoffs, taking too many men penalties no matter who the coach is, and replacing adequate 4th liners with terrible goons.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

The counterpoint, if we want to ignore Klingberg’s well-documented injury history and decline, is that if the Leafs are willing to force an underperformer off the active roster then why is Reaves still on the team?

https://twitter.com/TicTacTOmar/status/1712245021376651522?s=20

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

God I love that clip

In like a “lol, kill me” kind of way, of course

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Makes sense, a new jersey gets one Hughe, while New Jersey gets two Hughes

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/JLStoller/status/1727790599749939382

Brandt having a slightly good start to his pro career.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Klingberg is probably actually hurt his lower body has decayed on him very hard over the last five years. But I'm still a bit miffed about Toronto's handling of it, mainly because y'all need to stop fuckin' Robidas-ing our dudes already.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

T-Bone posted:

https://twitter.com/JLStoller/status/1727790599749939382

Brandt having a slightly good start to his pro career.

What was the knock on this kid again? Because, just a quick look at Hockeydb shows he has been destroying OHL after he got drafted, and is now doing well in the AHL.

DOOMocrat posted:

Klingberg is probably actually hurt his lower body has decayed on him very hard over the last five years. But I'm still a bit miffed about Toronto's handling of it, mainly because y'all need to stop fuckin' Robidas-ing our dudes already.

What ever do you mean? The Leafs just have really bad luck.

Speaking of defensemen, we are very close to having Quinn Hughes and Makar leading the league in points. Not only am sure that I have never seen this before, I am not sure if it's ever happened in the NHL before.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

What was the knock on this kid again? Because, just a quick look at Hockeydb shows he has been destroying OHL after he got drafted, and is now doing well in the AHL.
ThinkTank had some effort posts about him earlier in the year.

ThinkTank posted:

I live near Barrie and have seen Clarke play in person many times. The reason we haven't seen this production from a defenceman before is, aside from the fact he is listed as a defenceman, he has nothing in common with a defenceman. He makes Karlsson look like a committed defensive stalwart. He'll put up points in the NHL but "high risk high reward" does not begin to summarize his play. He'll likely bounce around teams because he is so absurdly maddening for coaches. He can put up points but oh my god he just invents new places on the ice to be to make that possible. Ever seen a defenceman set up in front of the net off the rush? Leave the attacking zone to skate around centre ice for no reason? Brandt Clarke'll do that.

ThinkTank posted:

His partners serve almost no purpose. They are there to delude the opposition into thinking Brandt plays a conventional style of hockey. Defensive side isn't so much an afterthought as an inconvience to Clarke. He'll play both sides on any given shift and his partner just has to accommodate (usually with a look of panic on their face as they scramble across the ice). Where Gretzky played with the mindset of going where the puck will be, Clarke instead focuses on being anywhere he wants and then using magic to draw the puck to him. Quite often he'll set up in a shooting position in a place that, to the outside observer, makes no sense. Like in the middle of the ice while the puck is being held halfway up the far boards. He'll stand there waiting for a one timer and you'll wonder what in God's name he's doing and yet the puck will pop off the boards horizontally on his stick at the exact velocity and position for him to snipe an unscreened wristshot instead of being kicked up or down the boards like it would in 99.9% of other cases.

I don't even want to use someone like DeAngelo as a comparator. He's just your conventional high risk defencemen cranked up to the max, you know what you're getting there. Clarke is just so unlike any other defencemen. I wouldn't even say he's bad defensively really, he's good at angling guys off the rush, just wholly unconventional as to how he gets to be there to do so. I feel like I'm overstating this, but then I think about some of the insane things I've seen him do and I just can't describe him any other way.

Like, he's the only defenceman I've ever heard of trying the Michigan and he pulled it off during a playoff game last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WocxyMH7PrE

Twin Cinema posted:

What ever do you mean? The Leafs just have really bad luck.

Speaking of defensemen, we are very close to having Quinn Hughes and Makar leading the league in points. Not only am sure that I have never seen this before, I am not sure if it's ever happened in the NHL before.
If you mean be 1-2 in scoring than definitely not. Orr only led twice and in those years the next defensemen were 56th and 27th in scoring.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
ThinkTank also hasn't posted for a month which is odd... Canucks being 4th in the league broke his brain?

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
If the Kings are contenders near the end of the season, I see them packaging Clarke and Turcotte for a good player on a bad team. Someone like Connor McDavid.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1728097545799319931

extraordinarily stupid league

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Surely Flower being Flower he'll just wear it anyway?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Players need to keep put pressure on the league. Just keep trying to wear charitable cause stuff on their equipment so the NHL continues to get such great publicity as “League refuses to allow players to wear Cancer Ribbons”.

Granted most of the league players and owners prolly agree with banning Pride stuff so….

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Misanthrope posted:

ThinkTank also hasn't posted for a month which is odd... Canucks being 4th in the league broke his brain?

Turned 28 and thus fell of the edge of a chart and died.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

tarbrush posted:

https://twitter.com/walsha/status/1728102175455474060

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

tarbrush posted:

https://twitter.com/walsha/status/1728102175455474060

Yes, but the NHL is being the NHL even more so.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1728073894655860909?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

The Sabres finally made a good roster decision this season!

Now all they need to do is send Levi to Rochester, recall Kulich and Rosen, put Bryson on waivers, sit Erik Johnson, and start rotating out Girgensens and Okposo because they have been atrocious and maybe they’ll have a chance at the playoffs!

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
The Wild have $15 million in dead cap the next couple of years, Fleury should fully commit, wear the mask... actually gently caress it, throw on some BLM hockey uniform with pride colored pads as well.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1728073894655860909?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

The Sabres finally made a good roster decision this season!

Now all they need to do is send Levi to Rochester, recall Kulich and Rosen, put Bryson on waivers, sit Erik Johnson, and start rotating out Girgensens and Okposo because they have been atrocious and maybe they’ll have a chance at the playoffs!

Sabres fans going from "Levi is ready, he's not being rushed to the NHL" to "ok Levi isn't ready he should be in Rochester" to "Benson is ready, he's not being rushed to the NHL" is very funny to me.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Misanthrope posted:

The Wild have $15 million in dead cap the next couple of years, Fleury should fully commit, wear the mask... actually gently caress it, throw on some BLM hockey uniform with pride colored pads as well.

Agreed. Finish your career standing for the important things.

This isn’t difficult, but the league sure wants to just go with the nuclear option of being wrong all season.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
treating everything as equal not fair is a loving plague on this earth

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
so wait it's ok for NHL teams to (rightly) run a pre-game video that is broadcasted on national TV acknowledging that the game is being played on treaty or unceded territory but Marc Andre Fleury can't wear a mask painted by an indigenous artist that isn't even a protest mask?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Starsfan posted:

so wait it's ok for NHL teams to (rightly) run a pre-game video that is broadcasted on national TV acknowledging that the game is being played on treaty or unceded territory but Marc Andre Fleury can't wear a mask painted by an indigenous artist that isn't even a protest mask?

Yep. Unless they’re the sweater sponsor like the Muckleshoot Tribe in Seattle. Then you have to acknowledge them every game.

Maybe that’s the problem. Fleury wanted to do it for free.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Sabres fans going from "Levi is ready, he's not being rushed to the NHL" to "ok Levi isn't ready he should be in Rochester" to "Benson is ready, he's not being rushed to the NHL" is very funny to me.

For the record, I always thought Levi should play this season in Rochester. I was worried about Benson’s size being an issue but he has managed to play really well in spite of being small. The players dragging the team down right now are Erik Johnson, Girgensens and Okposo. They keep running 11-7 because Granato doesn’t want to sit Ryan Johnson but won’t sit Clifton or Erik Johnson so instead he sits a forward. It’s stupid too because he keeps playing Ryan Johnson for like 8 minutes a night, like what’s the loving point??

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

For the record, I always thought Levi should play this season in Rochester. I was worried about Benson’s size being an issue but he has managed to play really well in spite of being small. The players dragging the team down right now are Erik Johnson, Girgensens and Okposo. They keep running 11-7 because Granato doesn’t want to sit Ryan Johnson but won’t sit Clifton or Erik Johnson so instead he sits a forward. It’s stupid too because he keeps playing Ryan Johnson for like 8 minutes a night, like what’s the loving point??

Yeah I'm just teasing. I know it's fun to have so many good prospects on the way. Benson is sick too. Size doesn't seem to be as big of a factor anymore if he can play. Poitras has stuck with Boston all year as a teenager and has looked fine.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
NHLPA should file a grievance

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I thought Edmonton sucked, what the hell.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
gently caress the nhl so much.

best sport worst league

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Levitate posted:

NHLPA should file a grievance
Lol. As if the players aren't the problem in the first place. The whole reason for the rule is to provide cover for the homophobes so they don't look bad for opting out.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

ThinkTank had some effort posts about him earlier in the year.

If you mean be 1-2 in scoring than definitely not. Orr only led twice and in those years the next defensemen were 56th and 27th in scoring.

Thanks for posting the ThinkTank post. This is where I would have read about Clarke.

As for 1-2 in scoring. I guess I meant in general. Maybe it's happened really early in the season, but I don't remember it happening this late in the season.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Thanks for posting the ThinkTank post. This is where I would have read about Clarke.

As for 1-2 in scoring. I guess I meant in general. Maybe it's happened really early in the season, but I don't remember it happening this late in the season.

It'd have to be pretty early in the season. There's some Bourque/Coffey years where they were both pretty high scoring. Unless I missed someone, the most points for a second highest scoring defenceman was Bourque with 96 in 83-84 to Coffey's 126. But unless Wayne twisted an ankle on opening night or something, Coffey was probably never the highest scoring on his team even for a day.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The only time Coffey ever led a team in scoring was in the shortened 94-95 season, leading the Red Wings with 58 pts in 45 games.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Lindy is gonna get fired isn't he...........

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

With the exception of Dylan Strome, how good Washington's players are is inversely proportional to their salaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

lol devils