Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This interstitial with the radio tuning noise is driving my cats nuts. When it comes on they both start poking at my soundbar and trying to find out the source of the noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Seems like they extended the pledge drive a day? But they're still not really close. They should pack it up and try again in a few months with better outreach/promotion/talent involvement/platform.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

Seems like they extended the pledge drive a day? But they're still not really close. They should pack it up and try again in a few months with better outreach/promotion/talent involvement/platform.

No, the drive was always scheduled to end today: I believe on day 1 it was a 32 day countdown.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

Still seeing the same end date/time as always here, but yeah, it’s not looking good.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Ah, all through the marathon the Matt bumpers kept saying the fundraiser ended when the marathon ended. I hadn't been checking the site often.

But yeah, just do a drat Kickstarter, and do actual live events (with the cast!) for the beginning and end. Maybe see if Rifftrax wants to do a tie-in like before. Those things alone would probably double their funding.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Our little cow town puppet show is 35 years old today.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Man, Santo movies are loving wild.

I missed the start of the movie, is Dracula also another luchadore?

God, I wish Dracula was a luchador in the movie! I like El Santo vs Dracula well enough but it would have been vastly improved if he ever actually fought Dracula, especially if it were in the ring.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
dracula

lucadar

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Empty Sandwich posted:

dracula

lucadar

:hmmyes:

I Am Fowl posted:

God, I wish Dracula was a luchador in the movie! I like El Santo vs Dracula well enough but it would have been vastly improved if he ever actually fought Dracula, especially if it were in the ring.

Yeah that's what I was hoping for, Santo wrestling Dracula to save humanity. Instead he deus ex machinas some sunlight to kill drac which was a lot less entertaining.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I really hope they regroup and launch a real fundraiser. It doesn’t matter if it culminates with the Turkey Day marathon, just get everyone involved, do it on Kickstarter, and project that you care as much as you want the audience to care.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

this whole failed crowdfunding thing has made me feel pretty bad. Joel really miscalculated this.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I'm somewhat skeptical that "oops our bad, let's try this again in six months with a better promotional strategy" is going to be a winning strategy. =/

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i mean they got 2.5 mil doing absolutely nothing at all

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I think the disappointment with the last crowdfunding venture, namely the shipping costs, the items that took forever and such, really turned a lot of people off. There's also the strike and the platform, but I don't think that messup should be discounted.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

HannibalBarca posted:

I'm somewhat skeptical that "oops our bad, let's try this again in six months with a better promotional strategy" is going to be a winning strategy. =/

Maybe not, but I don’t think it’s a lost cause or a waste of time to try again with a better plan.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If Joel had just said "we're going to film it on a set I built in my basement" and got some public domain flicks that weren't HD quality, we'd be celebrating the end of a successful fundraiser right now

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
As someone who is completely off "X" now, I'm curious whether the cast members started amplifying the campaign after the strike ended or if they've been entirely uninvolved? This campaign has felt like a few people at the office in Pennsylvania trying to run a crowdfunding campaign instead of the enthusiastic cross-country team of MST fans of previous campaigns. I'd argue the "low energy" is just part of that larger enthusiasm gap. It's the difference between watching MST alone and with a crowd.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Do some, any cross promotion hey rlm, hey random streamers, hey rifftrax come on!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Isn't it "all or nothing" though? Unless i'm mistaken, they don't get it if they don't make the goal.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Narsham posted:

As someone who is completely off "X" now, I'm curious whether the cast members started amplifying the campaign after the strike ended or if they've been entirely uninvolved? This campaign has felt like a few people at the office in Pennsylvania trying to run a crowdfunding campaign instead of the enthusiastic cross-country team of MST fans of previous campaigns. I'd argue the "low energy" is just part of that larger enthusiasm gap. It's the difference between watching MST alone and with a crowd.

Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt have posted a couple things. Jonah doesn't seem to be active on social media anymore, but his wife Deanna Rooney (plays Donna St. Phibes on the show) has the link in her instagram story. Emily has something in her instagram story. Hampton Yount posted a Gamera clip the other day with a link to the fundraiser. Not seeing anything from Baron Vaughn, Rebecca Hanson, or Tim Ryder. Kelsey Brady posted on instagram a couple days ago.

I'm bummed at how poorly this was handled.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Morter posted:

Isn't it "all or nothing" though? Unless i'm mistaken, they don't get it if they don't make the goal.

Yes but their campaign got 2,5 million even with all the poo poo. Getting 4,1 million with a proper campaign isn't unrealistic IMO.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Morter posted:

yeah its just pledges but i assume the 2.5 they got from this disaster would return for an actual fundraiser drive

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Joel and Alternaversal both have social media that hasn't been updated since the previous fundraiser. Felicia at least shared the Turkey Day promo in her reels. Coordinated social media wasn't going to get them another million but it's another sign of how badly this was run.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

the whole pitch has just felt like “More MST3K? I guess?? :shrug:” which isn’t very motivating

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

TBH, the entire crowdfunding affair for the new season of MST3K has felt pretty slapdash from day one.

robot roll call posted:

the whole pitch has just felt like “More MST3K? I guess?? :shrug:” which isn’t very motivating

There's a line on the crowdfunding page that was something like "The world needs more MST3K", which strangely felt kind of off-putting and reeking of desperation, at least to me anyways.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 25, 2023

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

put it on kickstarter, have events and watchalongs to promote it, and it'd make 4 million easy

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Breadallelogram posted:

Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt have posted a couple things. Jonah doesn't seem to be active on social media anymore, but his wife Deanna Rooney (plays Donna St. Phibes on the show) has the link in her instagram story. Emily has something in her instagram story. Hampton Yount posted a Gamera clip the other day with a link to the fundraiser. Not seeing anything from Baron Vaughn, Rebecca Hanson, or Tim Ryder. Kelsey Brady posted on instagram a couple days ago.

I'm bummed at how poorly this was handled.

Rebecca and Tim were active on Instagram about it, and participated in the most recent watch-along. Baron doesn't do much social media for his own reasons (mostly related to mental health and finances). Jonah recently had his own family emergency issues to deal with that have been quietly taking up most of his time and energy. Hell even Frank Conniff gave it a couple non sarcastic plugs, which came as a surprise to everyone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
During the marathon they'd play those ads promoting the crowdfunding. One of the lines was something like 'you get to decide if season 14 happens.'

I mean, that's technically true but it's kind of a lovely thing to say, since the implication is that it's our fault there's no more MSt3k.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I remember some promos saying "And every year you'll fund the next season on this site" or something to that effect and that's a big turnoff. It's simply not realistic to expect to crowdfund a season of an entire show every single year at several million a pop.

I mean I'll probably give them money but I'm a idiot.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Angry_Ed posted:

"MY SKULL!" :byodood:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

What good is a man
If he's as thin as a broo-hoo-hoohoo-oom

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Murdstone posted:

I remember some promos saying "And every year you'll fund the next season on this site" or something to that effect and that's a big turnoff. It's simply not realistic to expect to crowdfund a season of an entire show every single year at several million a pop.

I mean I'll probably give them money but I'm a idiot.

IMO, if they plan to fund “permanently” by crowdfunding, at these numbers they need to provide more accounting details. With Rifftrax and the Mads I’m paying by the riff and can assume they’re making a profit to live off of as well as covering costs. But if I’m crowdfunding every year and the costs keep going up, I want to know why the millions they already spent didn’t translate into something that can reduce costs in future. Especially because this is all-or-nothing. With tickets, I can pay the Mads $150 a year for tickets to 12 shows. But I can’t get 12 tickets to S14 at all unless enough other people pledge money. What are Matt and Joel doing to reduce costs so that there can be another season at all? We did find out that apparently $800,000 would have gone to maintaining their offices. But Rifftrax can just afford what they need by selling individual riffs (and the Mads riff from home).

Part of the problem is that MST3K is the big-ticket version, with licensed films and a cast and crew in place of a microphone closet or a webcam. It can’t operate without a substantially larger yearly funding. But either Joel finds a partner able to cover much of the cost, or he stops making them. I really do wonder how much business the new episodes are doing. I’d guess nobody but Netflix is seeing profit from those episodes any more, and arguably Netflix isn’t either. But they have large numbers of expensive shows that might or might not be losing money; Joel only has MST.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
5 hours left and $1.3 million short. The S14 links appear to have been removed from the mst3k.com home page.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

first time using Shout TV to watch MST3K and not even one episode in, I get an ad talking solely about Hamas being evil. also a lot of ads about hepatitis c??

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And down to Greenwich Village, for no reason.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

first time using Shout TV to watch MST3K and not even one episode in, I get an ad talking solely about Hamas being evil. also a lot of ads about hepatitis c??

That's wild, especially since both classic and current episodes have jokes about Israeli militarization. FWIW I got ads about Heifer and cancer/hearing loss screenings, but I have no idea why that discrepancy exists.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

The 7th Guest posted:

I'm getting some ads for two local law firms.

and then this morning the same ad for Goodburger 2 four times in a row, followed by an ad for indoor saunas.

nothing other than those things this week

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I got Emma Stone talking about mental health for teens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

actually there is probably a way to surefire get an S14 greenlit but it'll never happen: bringing Mike, Kevin and Bill back