Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is blue box getting an anime? That's awesome news!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Fuko isn't just going for the good ending, she's going for 100% completion which includes the inexplicable weird minigames. Looking forward to the team effortlessly clearing Ragnarok.

Also tsundere apocalypse lol

The hero Himmel would be proud.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I know people were meme-ing on it, but I’m liking Kagurabachi?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's solid shonen so far, not much really wrong with it at this point. the protag has been kinda bland but some of the side characters are fun

feels like one of those borderline series where it either goes for 500 chs or it gets cancelled within 20

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think it's good now that it's doing something. Same with MamaYuyu. Like, they've taken a few chapters to set up the real premises, and now that we're there, I like them. Maybe my standards are lowered after stuff like Gil, though.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Why the gently caress can't you backflip in figure skating this is bullshit

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Hm? I've seen figure skaters backflip in real life though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Maybe it's like a Simone Biles situation where they had to stop her from doing all her cool poo poo because no one else could do it and they didn't want people breaking their necks even trying

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RuBisCO posted:

Why the gently caress can't you backflip in figure skating this is bullshit

I can only assume this has something to do with Medalist.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

doomrider7 posted:

I can only assume this has something to do with Medalist.

Two on Ice, the guy does a sick backflip and gets deducted points for it

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
It's almost certainly about stopping people from breaking their necks on solid ice in competition.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SpacePig posted:

It's almost certainly about stopping people from breaking their necks on solid ice in competition.

Tbh I've wondered how people even train for certain sports without inevitably dying in the process.

Like how do you even learn to do crazy mid-air bike tricks without breaking your neck during the learning process? Or do gymnastics without getting the timing wrong and landing on your head?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ytlaya posted:

Tbh I've wondered how people even train for certain sports without inevitably dying in the process.

Like how do you even learn to do crazy mid-air bike tricks without breaking your neck during the learning process? Or do gymnastics without getting the timing wrong and landing on your head?

Isn't that part of why you have to start training gymnasts so young? Get them used to the motions while it's easier for them to take a fall?

I genuinely have no idea, other than generally it's better for a gymnast to be on the small side

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Ytlaya posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfWKmQSQWkw

Usually they have safety equipment, spotters, etc. Motorcycle stuntpeople learn how to bail if something is going bad, that kind of thing.

That and, you know, just getting injured does happen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shinji2015 posted:

Isn't that part of why you have to start training gymnasts so young? Get them used to the motions while it's easier for them to take a fall?

I genuinely have no idea, other than generally it's better for a gymnast to be on the small side

Nighthand posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfWKmQSQWkw

Usually they have safety equipment, spotters, etc. Motorcycle stuntpeople learn how to bail if something is going bad, that kind of thing.

That and, you know, just getting injured does happen.

Yeah, that makes sense - I guess that they spend so much time doing it while young that they gain the ability to tell their orientation well enough to at least ensure a landing isn't life-ending. I don't think I'd ever be able to lose the fear in their shoes, though.

While watching Olympic skateboarding during the last Olympics, I noticed how everyone was obviously prepared to fall and deliberately fell in certain ways (IIRC their knee-pads made injury-less falls pretty doable). Though skateboarding is a bit different in that falling seems to be a regular part of it even at the absolute top levels.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Shinji2015 posted:

Pretty much this. It comes up in Medalist a few times with regards to growth spurts. Backflips I imagine is due to safety. Main focuses are form(GOE) as well as spins and rotations. Check out Medalist, it explains it a lot better.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
So the final chapter of Vibration Man dropped today. Another series that just never found its footing, and even speed running the MC to OP status didn't do much for it other than make for some fun-ish fights. Better than Ice Head Gil, but that's a very low bar

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'll give Ice-Head Gill one thing: Gill never got his powers from a government conspiracy to spike the vaccines.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I read the last few chapters and somehow when he mastered his vibration power he just got super fast and strong. :geno:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper posted:

I sure wonder what's going on in the latest chapter of Vibration Man!

hmmmm yes i see i see

rest in piss vibration man

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh yeah it was absolutely abhorrent and its getting got is a boon for Plus.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'll give Ice-Head Gill one thing: Gill never got his powers from a government conspiracy to spike the vaccines.

That we know of.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If I already pay for shonen jump is there a reason to pay for ma gaplus except better ui and swapping subs

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mangaplus has certain titles SJ doesn't

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
You really only need an account if you wanna read the backlogs. Most recent 3 chapters are free.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm fine paying for either it just seems dumb to pay for both when mangaplus has a couple more things I want to read as it's the same company

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Their catalogs are slightly different. IIRC SJ has stuff like Yuyu Hakusho which isnt' on Mangaplus and viceversa.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Yeah I think the Jump app has access to stuff that Viz previously published in North America under the Jump label, and MPlus has the more recent stuff from other Japanese services and magazines.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Shojo null suddenly swerving into weird rear end horror. It’s great.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Versus by One finally came out on KManga, and the manga app just sucks. As a free user, I get a daily ticket(s), but the app only allows up to chapter 6 to use these tickets. Otherwise, to get to the latest chapter 13, you have to use points which either means spending real money or accruing a daily 5 points a day to read a chapter which is worth 139 or 179 each

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
New series!

Green Green Greens. Another sports manga. I liked the first chapter. Protag instantly realized he was a bit of a moron and works on his viewpoint. I think the art is really well done. It has a good style and easy to follow. I’m really interested to see where this goes.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Kagurabachi: I like characters that are actually genre savvy and smart and was pleasantly surprised that Kamunabi basically immediately realized that not involving our protagonist would just end up with him trying to fight Sojo solo. Also what is happening to Char is pretty hosed up.

UNDEAD UNLUCK: I am actually mildly curious what the secret ingredient is. Also Rip REALLY likes cutting things.

MamaYuyu: Yup, I just like Minverva and in general, I am getting more and more invested in what this series is trying to do. It's interesting that in her world humans apparently died out/were eradicated, depending on how charitable you want to be.

My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!: Uh, Sakurako might be significantly scarier than Kisaki.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

New series!

Green Green Greens. Another sports manga. I liked the first chapter. Protag instantly realized he was a bit of a moron and works on his viewpoint. I think the art is really well done. It has a good style and easy to follow. I’m really interested to see where this goes.

It's a golf series so don't be surprised if it gets canned fairly early. I'm still sore about Robot x Laserbeam.

Lt. Lizard posted:

My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!: Uh, Sakurako might be significantly scarier than Kisaki.
I would honestly read a spinoff of Sakurako and her crew.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Brought To You By posted:

It's a golf series so don't be surprised if it gets canned fairly early. I'm still sore about Robot x Laserbeam.

I honestly think the framing of it might hit better with readers, though. A guy searching for meaning finding it in a sport works a little bit better than a guy who's already good needing to be convinced to participate. I'm interested to see what happens with it.

Also didn't realize RxL was by the person doing Kill Blue until I went to confirm how many chapters it had been. Weird.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Green Green Greens was a solid first chapter in the writing department. The artwork could be stronger for sure (there's one panel where the golf ball is just photoscanned in, and one shot where the foreshortening on the golf club doesn't work because there's no depth portrayed in it, so it looks like the guy is just holding a tiny club), but I can see that improving over time. I think the main hurdle for the series is if the writing can remain strong and if golf, as a solo sport, is able to hook in a lot of people into reading it, as it's both a more niche sport subject and you won't get a lot of teamwork dynamics that are very crucial for some of the best sports manga that there are.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Caught up on the week's manga that I missed today.

Service Wars: a shame that it's ending, but tbh that was probably as much mileage the series was going to get out of the premise.

Hope You're Happy Lemon: little disappointed the misunderstanding was cleared up already

Kill Blue: middle aged man does not care about middle school boob

MMA: Really like that Nao isn't being pushed to the side. She's not the MC, but she's not being treated like she's unimportant either.

Also Asumi don't be a coward

Green Green Greens: awful title, but this could be fun. Some really fun sports titles running on Jump/Plus rn

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Undead Unluck: "Use Undraw so the umami doesn't get drawn from the pork!" lol

Also catching up on Skeleton Double I like this balancing act they have with the bones and the unique blood abilities.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SpacePig posted:

I honestly think the framing of it might hit better with readers, though. A guy searching for meaning finding it in a sport works a little bit better than a guy who's already good needing to be convinced to participate. I'm interested to see what happens with it.

Also didn't realize RxL was by the person doing Kill Blue until I went to confirm how many chapters it had been. Weird.

Also the guy who did Kuroko.

the Key is looking for the Aomine character.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Green Green had a fine start but it's funny that, of the three sports manga currently in WSJ, in all 3 the inciting incident is a boy seeing a cute girl do the sport.

Anyway Nao is good and I hope she never gets pushed into the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Shinji2015 posted:

Hope You're Happy Lemon: little disappointed the misunderstanding was cleared up already

Yeah, it felt weird, like we spent a whole chapter setting up a funny situation, and then another chapter carefully dismantling it before anything funny could happen.