Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kreeningsons posted:

Get a sick vinyl wrap for your old lovely fridge, imo

Yep! That's what I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

IOwnCalculus posted:

My Bosch fridge has both of these and at first I thought it would be annoying. Turns out it's the opposite - pulling open the freezer drawer and grabbing a scoop (or two) of ice is quicker than waiting for the door dispenser to unseal things and start trickling out ice, and the inside-the-fridge water is a non-issue as well. The ice setup is also vastly easier for when you want to clean it out or dump it out into a cooler.

I might have the same Bosch fridge as you and I couldn't agree more with you. Plus the ice tray holds much more ice which is nice for when you need to fill a cooler.

Like another post mentioned, I too have the counter depth model and it's so nice not having poo poo get lost in the back and it looks so much better in the kitchen.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Nthing the in-freezer ice maker with in-fridge water dispenser. Mine is a fairly no frills GE model, one of the few French door models that would in the space vacated by my old boring up down fridge.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Nthing the in-freezer ice maker with in-fridge water dispenser. Mine is a fairly no frills GE model, one of the few French door models that would in the space vacated by my old boring up down fridge.

If it wasn't for the icemaker through the door/in the frdige section of my LG how else would it leak water all over the floor to let me know the compressor died?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

H110Hawk posted:

This is what we're doing in the kids bathroom. And also connecting the existing ductwork to the outside because of course it's ducted... to a a flex hose that terminates "next to" a soffit vent.

I'll be damned, it's slim to boot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton...5-1LW/322925920

Bought and installed. This thing is loving perfect-thanks!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

nwin posted:

Bought and installed. This thing is loving perfect-thanks!

:toot:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Had the idea too late but will be putting together an rgb C9 setup running wled for next year. Incandescent C9s were cheap enough to hold me over until then. Pretty satisfied with the look but my back is not happy after all the time on the ladder today. Was the first time ever putting Christmas lights on a house in my adult years.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Your house looks like a box of donuts, in a good way.
Sweet little cubes.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Every time I see one of those homes I think of Mario Brothers for some reason

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

My brother bought a very expensive """Luxury"""" new build back in August, and apparently the sump pump, backup sump pump, and sump-pump-not-working alarm were not installed correctly. He's now got and estimated $25000 worth of water damaged wool carpet in his basement. I feel bad for him and his family, but it makes me feel better about the expense of the K&T replacement/running Cat 6 everywhere that I'm doing to my own home.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

steckles posted:

My brother bought a very expensive """Luxury"""" new build back in August, and apparently the sump pump, backup sump pump, and sump-pump-not-working alarm were not installed correctly. He's now got and estimated $25000 worth of water damaged wool carpet in his basement. I feel bad for him and his family, but it makes me feel better about the expense of the K&T replacement/running Cat 6 everywhere that I'm doing to my own home.

I hope he's looking into legal options for getting that $25k back, because that's not something that he should just have to take on the chin.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

steckles posted:

"Construction Defect" is the term he's looking for, and he should be on the horn with his builders insurance company yesterday.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

New home warranty insurance is mandatory here and he should be covered as this was clearly the result of the builder loving up. He’s been talking to the builder’s insurance and his lawyer as well just to be safe.

Still, if they messed something like that up, I wonder what else could be wrong.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

steckles posted:

New home warranty insurance is mandatory here and he should be covered as this was clearly the result of the builder loving up. He’s been talking to the builder’s insurance and his lawyer as well just to be safe.

Still, if they messed something like that up, I wonder what else could be wrong.

Good.

"yes"

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Love a thick mansard roof

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

kreeningsons posted:

Love a thick mansard roof

Do I have to?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Repairing double pane windows-is there any hope for this one? I reached out to some companies in the area and they’ll only fix the glass, not the wood. It’s a big window and definitely feels drafty around bottom of them. I have no idea if that’s due to the window or the insulation/etc.

Window is from 1986.

I’ve had window companies come out and they all say they’ve had a good life, but I don’t trust them. An energy audit I had last year said my house was pretty efficient…though I dunno how when I feel the cold air against this window and some others..

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm not a windows expert, but as a woodworker, I'd say replace that part of the frame. It's possible that some of that wood could be salvaged, but it looks pretty rotted. Unfortunately, replacing just part of the frame doesn't really make sense. You might as well replace it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Personally window from '86 doesn't mean old to me, parents still got all their windows from '77 on their house and no problems and that's hardly exceptional either.

The glass itself looks like it might be a sealed unit and so if it's still whole (you'd see condensation between the glass) then it should be as good as when new on that front. Air might leak around the wooden frame. I dunno if it looks like more than surface rot to me either when I look at the 2nd photo and see the underside it doesn't seem to extend there. If you wanna save money perhaps try and put some weather stripping first around the window frame?

The window frame could be sanded and refinished and look a little better but probably not new. I wonder why that corner has gotten attacked like that though.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

His Divine Shadow posted:

The window frame could be sanded and refinished and look a little better but probably not new. I wonder why that corner has gotten attacked like that though.

I’m guessing it got really cold and that is just damage from frost/condensation on the interior of the window. I have mid 1980s pella windows I have seem similar issues when it gets down to single digits F.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Personally window from '86 doesn't mean old to me, parents still got all their windows from '77 on their house and no problems and that's hardly exceptional either.

The glass itself looks like it might be a sealed unit and so if it's still whole (you'd see condensation between the glass) then it should be as good as when new on that front. Air might leak around the wooden frame. I dunno if it looks like more than surface rot to me either when I look at the 2nd photo and see the underside it doesn't seem to extend there. If you wanna save money perhaps try and put some weather stripping first around the window frame?

I'd guess there's a leak in the exterior storm in that corner which is letting cold air blow on the primary window, which causes condensation on the inside of the glass, which has dripped down and damaged the wood. Or the whole storm is leaky and the bottom rail isn't perfectly level so the water is all running to that side. nwin, If you can fix or replace the exterior storm that could go a long way to stopping the draft - some of these have rubber gaskets or felt wipers that might just be worn out after 35 years, and which you may be able to replace yourself. You could also get a silicone tube to replace that worn out rubber weather strip on the bottom of the sash, but you should try to deal with the condensation issue as well.

my parents' house has the original windows from circa 1900, but modern windows aren't built like old ones and aren't repairable in the same way. They don't require any maintenance the way old windows do, but once the seals start to give out, that's usually it and they have to be replaced.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

nwin posted:

Repairing double pane windows-is there any hope for this one? I reached out to some companies in the area and they’ll only fix the glass, not the wood. It’s a big window and definitely feels drafty around bottom of them. I have no idea if that’s due to the window or the insulation/etc.

Window is from 1986.

I’ve had window companies come out and they all say they’ve had a good life, but I don’t trust them. An energy audit I had last year said my house was pretty efficient…though I dunno how when I feel the cold air against this window and some others..

Wood hardening epoxy like LiquidWood would work here. https://www.abatron.com/product/liq...SxoCFOIQAvD_BwE

There's cheaper stuff, but this is the kind of thing professional restoration people use.

As far as the draft, does that bit of weatherstripping on the bottom look different than elsewhere? I'd compare it other windows in the house without the draft and see what's different. Like others said, I'd bet there's something going on with the storms.

Edit: Does your storm window have two panes of glass, one for the top and bottom? I see the screen there. You need to have the glass down to block the screen to get the full impact of the storms.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 23, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hey for C9 light folks, what's a good way to store them? I spent about a half hour stretching them out this year and I'd like to avoid it next season and be ready this month. It seems like they're too big for the reels and I'd like to store em with the roof clips still attached as they went up very quickly this year.

Right now I'm considering making thin plywood hourglass shapes cut to fit into a big black and yellow storage bin, perhaps I can get 3-4 in each. I have about 150-175 ft of lights.

I also put labels on the plugs this year so I know where they go. That should have been done the first time.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

wad them up and deal with it next year is always my policy lol

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

StormDrain posted:

Right now I'm considering making thin plywood hourglass shapes cut to fit into a big black and yellow storage bin, perhaps I can get 3-4 in each. I have about 150-175 ft of lights.

I use cardboard instead of plywood but the hourglass shape always worked for me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Hey for C9 light folks, what's a good way to store them? I spent about a half hour stretching them out this year and I'd like to avoid it next season and be ready this month. It seems like they're too big for the reels and I'd like to store em with the roof clips still attached as they went up very quickly this year.

I also put labels on the plugs this year so I know where they go. That should have been done the first time.

We built a box to roll up our minis on. Basically take a sturdy largish box, I think it's like 18x18 or 24x24 and about 3 feet deep. On the long side, at each corner we two parallel lines about 3" across the seam (so 24" to 24" side, over the corner, a 6" total cut.) Then you push in the corner to invert it. Do this on all four sides. Now on the top and bottom we reinforce it with Too Much Tape but we cut a hole in the middle for a broom handle. We put it across a folding chair or some sawhorses, whatever was handy. One person walks the strings out slowly, and the other person helps unroll (physically turning, freeing the lights from any snags, etc.) I think we got about 3 or 4 "slots" per box, staggered 3-4" apart, 25-50' of minis per slot.

Basically turned our ~500ft (I'm guessing here) of minis into a morning after thanksgiving job instead of a 2 day affair.

(This is from my childhood. They definitely sell this off the shelf.)

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

gently caress, so 100 bulbs wasn’t enough for my outside trim-I’m 6 bulbs short.

Is there any danger with leaving those 6 sockets without bulbs (c9) in them while in order more? I wrapped the end of the string in electrical wire after wrapping it over-I need to get a male vampire plug because I only ordered a female one for some reason.

I know this isn’t the wiring thread, but I’m guessing it would be bad to have a string with female vampires on both ends?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

StormDrain posted:

Hey for C9 light folks, what's a good way to store them? I spent about a half hour stretching them out this year and I'd like to avoid it next season and be ready this month. It seems like they're too big for the reels and I'd like to store em with the roof clips still attached as they went up very quickly this year....

I wrapped them using both hands in a back & forth motion, grab one end with one hand; grab the wire between the 2nd & third bulb with the other hand; go back & forth, grabbing about 2' lengths in each hand until you reach the end. You're left holding the folded string in both hands, kinda like yarn.

You can then either tie the center with a piece of thick string (I liked laundry line) or fold them again and tie them shorter. I use the same process for the mini-strings of pearl lights I put on the indoor tree. I stack them up in a large tote.

nwin posted:

gently caress, so 100 bulbs wasn’t enough for my outside trim-I’m 6 bulbs short.

Is there any danger with leaving those 6 sockets without bulbs (c9) in them while in order more?

Not temporarily, as long as you set them so they can't catch water.

I can send you some bulbs if that is an issue. I'm in New Jersey.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 26, 2023

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

PainterofCrap posted:

I wrapped them using both hands in a back & forth motion, grab one end with one hand; grab the wire between the 2nd & third bulb with the other hand; go back & forth, grabbing about 2' lengths in each hand until you reach the end. You're left holding the folded string in both hands, kinda like yarn.

You can then either tie the center with a piece of thick string (I liked laundry line) or fold them again and tie them shorter. I use the same process for the mini-strings of pearl lights I put on the indoor tree. I stack them up in a large tote.

Not temporarily, as long as you set them so they can't catch water.

I can send you some bulbs if that is an issue. I'm in New Jersey.

Much appreciated, but I’m going to just get another 10 from tru-tone. In the meantime, I’ll just buy some cheap incandescents from Lowe’s.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

nwin posted:

Is there any danger with leaving those 6 sockets without bulbs (c9) in them while in order more? I wrapped the end of the string in electrical wire after wrapping it over-I need to get a male vampire plug because I only ordered a female one for some reason.

I know this isn’t the wiring thread, but I’m guessing it would be bad to have a string with female vampires on both ends?

Lol I did the same with my tru tones and left the string in the pouring rain til I got my other shipment and then proceeded to install them in the pouring rain. I did not die and my house did not burn down (no thanks to the rain)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I put up my C9s on the house last night and I wasn't able to get the whole front length of the house. 2-3 meters left which is annoying. I guesstimate if two 25ft sets got me that far, I'd need like 8-9 sets if I wanted to go all the way around. Future project that. And in the future I'll buy Tru-Tone bulbs. I've been thinking about buying rolls of cables and sockets and making my own custom strings.

Also keeping the US plugs so I can't accidentially plug them into a normal outlet.

Also god damnit I have dirty gutters.

Some basic bitch christmas interior decorating while I am at it.

e: Also I need to tighten the strings up, see some sagging.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Nov 26, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm realizing I'm a noob at putting up christmas lights. I've always just hung them loosely from hooks and generally under the eaves to cover them from snow, but look at all the solutions there are out there.

And more to boot. I'm gonna have to step up my game. Attaching them to the gutters might be the way to go here.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm realizing I'm a noob at putting up christmas lights. I've always just hung them loosely from hooks and generally under the eaves to cover them from snow, but look at all the solutions there are out there.

And more to boot. I'm gonna have to step up my game. Attaching them to the gutters might be the way to go here.

I think the old fashioned way of sorta stringing them along looks the best.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

Also I can’t stop thinking about what happens to plastic after a few seasons under the sun

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

VelociBacon posted:

For 99.5% of home installations I definitely agree. I feel like the clips kind of enter into this weird uncanny valley between a home light display and a professionally done display.

Of course I'm biased because I did years of work on a massive commercial Christmas display. Two maxed out 200A panels and about half the capacity of a third worth of Christmas lights spread over 80 acres or so.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Seeing them all laid out this way makes me think about how they look from the street and close up. I guess I just did it the way we did at my childhood home without considering why.

I guess pitched where the centerline is parallel to the roof pitch looks best in that set, but illuminated maybe it would be kind of a dud with most of the light going down and up into space above the roof without as much diffuse reflection

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

tuyop posted:

Also I can’t stop thinking about what happens to plastic after a few seasons under the sun

I bought a big pack of plastic gutter/shingle clips well over a decade age and they still work just fine. Lose a couple every year due to getting bent too far but otherwise they have held up just fine.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, they're on during the lowest sun angle / least UV exposure area under the curve of the year. They age just fine and, they're plastic so it's not that big of a deal.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Hed posted:

Seeing them all laid out this way makes me think about how they look from the street and close up. I guess I just did it the way we did at my childhood home without considering why.

I guess pitched where the centerline is parallel to the roof pitch looks best in that set, but illuminated maybe it would be kind of a dud with most of the light going down and up into space above the roof without as much diffuse reflection

Yeah been thinking of that too, I'm just gonna let them hang down for now. It does have it's own charm too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

On my old house I screwed some broom hanging clips to the underside of my roof and zip tied lights to some sections of 1/4 pvc pipe. Takes about an hour to put up and take down. I might eventually do that here too.