Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Sagebrush posted:

your top shelf is giving me hives

Moving out in a month for a year while we do an addition and renos, I’m telling myself I’ll properly organize garage tools after we move back in…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

a well organized workshop is the mark of a rarely used workshop :colbert:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

New Mk4 is stringing like crazy. Just printed a temperature tower and stringing is lessened at 180° with PLA. I think it's a bad thermistor.

Currently making a new tower that goes down to 160. At some point it should just freeze up and stop extruding... right? I mean I'm pretty sure there's a temperature at which PLA is solid...

Anyway, seems like it's a known issue. It's a kick rear end printer. Even with the nozzle way too hot, it's doing a better job than the Ender 3.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

cruft posted:

New Mk4 is stringing like crazy. Just printed a temperature tower and stringing is lessened at 180° with PLA. I think it's a bad thermistor.

Currently making a new tower that goes down to 160. At some point it should just freeze up and stop extruding... right? I mean I'm pretty sure there's a temperature at which PLA is solid...

Anyway, seems like it's a known issue. It's a kick rear end printer. Even with the nozzle way too hot, it's doing a better job than the Ender 3.

Prusa seems to be really pushing people to use filament dryers stating that the 0.6 default nozzle on the mk4 and XL are much more susceptible to stringing. You'll start grinding filament where the extruder gearing is once you get low enough. It's pretty easy to clean off of my XL and I think the Mk4 is similar.

In other news, my XL moves so fast now it's causing false positives for head crashes because the table I have it on wobbles too much... :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

cruft posted:

How's your retraction settings? Stringing isn't just temp.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Also just did my first print today with the Bambu HF TPU 95. It… just worked? And it is the coolest thing that I can print something this squishy. Bed removal and support removal were a bit challenging but overall it’s pretty crazy how it all printed without a hitch like it was PLA. The parts were for the attachment points for an improved cable chain for my old CR-10 v3.

Next up is ASA for the desiccant holders and AMS filament feeder mods that were previously suggested.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Numinous posted:

Prusa seems to be really pushing people to use filament dryers stating that the 0.6 default nozzle on the mk4 and XL are much more susceptible to stringing. You'll start grinding filament where the extruder gearing is once you get low enough. It's pretty easy to clean off of my XL and I think the Mk4 is similar.

In other news, my XL moves so fast now it's causing false positives for head crashes because the table I have it on wobbles too much... :(

MK4 come with a .4 nozzle.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

queeb posted:

I buy only one color so I just hero then in the big boxes they come in stacked in my garage

Now I have to know... What color?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

mattfl posted:

My closest in my office/printer/game room

All those racks are full now thanks to BF deals lol

This owns and is probably what I'll sort of gun for. Maybe compartmentalizr it a bit so I can seal things and use some desiccant

deimos posted:

Now I have to know... What color?

Gonna bet grey or black. I do the same thing. If your painting then anyways it's a nice basecolor to work with and is usually pretty cheap

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 25, 2023

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Lol yup just straight up grey.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

IIID Max's Space Grey is pretty awesome for grey space things, so it's a good thing they named it that, but it's also an absolute perfect neutral gray to start a paint job on. I probably don't buy as much of it as queeb does, but I do use quite a bit.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My black Friday IIID order has 2 rolls of the space gray. Gonna print a star destroyer in it.

Is IIID supposed to be pronounced "eye three dee"?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

w00tmonger posted:

Gonna bet grey or black. I do the same thing. If your painting then anyways it's a nice basecolor to work with and is usually pretty cheap

I'm pretty much exclusively printing mini gaming stuff and yeah, I just buy roll after roll of Elegoo's grey PLA. Super cheap on Amazon for US customers!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

ilkhan posted:

My black Friday IIID order has 2 rolls of the space gray. Gonna print a star destroyer in it.

Possibly just “3D”, given III is the Roman numeral for 3?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Is it matte? I have a standard white pla that even wit spray primer, sucks to take paint

I have a ton of grey I am using for put together models but I have yet to find a place that paints well

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Possibly just “3D”, given III is the Roman numeral for 3?
D is 500 so that would just be 497, no?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I use eryones grey and it's got a really nice finish on it, it's not advertised as matte but it definitely looks like it

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

ilkhan posted:

How's your retraction settings? Stringing isn't just temp.

It's printing PLA pretty well at 170°, very little stringing. I think this is a temperature issue. Gonna go print a lot of crazy low temperature towers in different filaments to double check, but I think I have a culprit.

This appears to be an issue a number of Mk4 owners are having. Sigh.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ilkhan posted:

3 grey 2 black and 5 other colors I don't have yet.

I just call it 3d max

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Had some PETG get wet in the AMS, took a look at the desiccant in the back and it looked fine still. Decided to be proactive and printed some loose desiccant containers to replace them since it's a massive increase in capacity and surface area. Noticed all the space up front and also now printing some desiccant holders for that. Overkill, but don't want it to be an issue ever again.

Desiccant baskets that fit in the existing desiccant holes: https://www.printables.com/model/279772-bambu-labs-ams-desiccant-box

Front desiccant baskets that fit in between the AMS parts: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6308015

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I have all the desiccant in my ams. Loose containers for the trays and then the 3 front with a round probably inaccurate as hell temp and humidity sensor.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

cruft posted:

It's printing PLA pretty well at 170°, very little stringing. I think this is a temperature issue. Gonna go print a lot of crazy low temperature towers in different filaments to double check, but I think I have a culprit.

This appears to be an issue a number of Mk4 owners are having. Sigh.
PLA should be around 200-220 degrees nozzle temp. If you're printing it at 170 you've got other issues.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

ilkhan posted:

PLA should be around 200-220 degrees nozzle temp. If you're printing it at 170 you've got other issues.

I mean, 170 may indicate the issue is the hotend thermistor.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

tater_salad posted:

Yeah I have all the desiccant in my ams. Loose containers for the trays and then the 3 front with a round probably inaccurate as hell temp and humidity sensor.

Yeah these cheap hygrometers are more of a broad range than actual humidity, but it can tell you if all your desiccant is wet.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

deimos posted:

I mean, 170 may indicate the issue is the hotend thermistor.
Which would fall under "other issues".

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

ilkhan posted:

:classiclol: yes, it certainly seems like the hotend thermistor is reporting too low a temperature.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ilkhan posted:

D is 500 so that would just be 497, no?

Tragically, that’s CDXCVII.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

ilkhan posted:

They stated a few posts ago that they suspected the thermistor was faulty, the temp towers with abnormally low set temps on them is to confirm this hypothesis.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Here4DaGangBang posted:

They stated a few posts ago that they suspected the thermistor was faulty, the temp towers with abnormally low set temps on them is to confirm this hypothesis.
Don't think I connected that. Oops.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

This owns and is probably what I'll sort of gun for. Maybe compartmentalizr it a bit so I can seal things and use some desiccant

It's this system in case you were wondering

https://www.printables.com/model/129024-reprack-open-source-spool-holder-and-storage-syste

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:
Jumping on the bambuwagon and ordered a P1S + AMS bundle in the sales :toot:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Did you print it in the recommended petg or ABS?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

deimos posted:

Did you print it in the recommended petg or ABS?

I used PLA with extra walls and like 25% infill I think.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
The internet told me that I could just tear the sides off my Inland PLA and put the Bambu reusable spools around that core.

The inland core is too wide and I couldn’t attach the spools. Had to get creative and got it to work, but I don’t recommend doing that.

Also tried printing the outer rings for the cardboard roll, but the AMS lid can’t close all the way with it.

Fiancée has some spare bearings for her skates and I’m printing the spool re-roller and using the old bearings for that.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

mrbass21 posted:

Fiancée has some spare bearings for her skates and I’m printing the spool re-roller and using the old bearings for that.

The piles of no-longer-acceptable roller skate bearings has been a nice hobby crossover with ms cruft.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’m thinking I just buy a bunch of the cheapest toilet paper holders available and mount them all over the wall above my printer, and just grab the strand of whatever as needed, using them in place. :downs:

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Going to try printing PA6-GF today, wish me luck. I took it out of the brand new (airtight with dessicant pack) packaging and it was super stiff and snapped like a dry twig if you tried to bend it at all. So, it's in the filament dryer now for 8 hours, and maybe 8 more after that depending on how it turns out.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Love the AMS, but I find it really has issues when a cardboard spool gets towards the end of the roll. Doesn't seem to be enough weight to engage the feeds correctly and I start getting errors

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

A couple of ”Lego-blocks” to test the idea of using those as a core for carbon fibre layup. I think it is go, but a bit more CFD to do to figure out the final shape before printing the full set of blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I made a tiny temperature tower, and if you use PrusaSlicer, it automatically gets the M105 hotend temperature changes. You can just slice and print.

https://www.printables.com/model/659555-small-parametric-temperature-tower/files

If anybody knows how to cajole Cura into doing something similar, please let me know! PrusaSlicer wanted a Metadata/Prusa_Slicer_custom_gcode_per_print_z.xml file in the 3mf (it's just a zip file).

e: source code at https://git.woozle.org/neale/temperature-tower

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 26, 2023