Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That's pretty cool. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines

Ensign Expendable posted:

Get several models in different scales and arrange them in a forced perspective diorama.

Now there’s an idea! And if I botch the scale, I can claim it’s an interpretation of mistaken identification. Such as when destroyers are confused for cruisers.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
One of the most famous battlefield desecrations is Waterloo, where the big victory mound built after the battle meant totally resculpting the terrain. Wellington went back and was basically "these bozos have totally ruined my battlefield".

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines

FPyat posted:

Do historical battlefield parks struggle with things like erosion and plant growth altering the landscape? Are there different approaches to how preservation should handle these changes?

The National Park Service has a grant program specifically to address this issue.

American Battlefield Protection Program (ABPP) posted:

Battlefield Restoration Grants support projects that restore “day-of-battle” conditions at nationally significant American Revolution, War of 1812, and Civil War battlefields and associated historic sites. The awards are made possible by the Land and Water Conservation Fund, which reinvests revenue from offshore oil and natural gas leasing to help strengthen conservation and recreation opportunities across the nation. These grants empower preservation partners to inspire wonder, understanding and empathy at the places that witnessed some of our nation’s most challenging events. In addition, the ABPP administers three other grants: Battlefield Land Acquisition, Preservation Planning, and Battlefield Interpretation grants. This financial assistance encourages and sustains community-driven stewardship of historic resources in Tribal, state, and local communities.

I’ll also add to what others have already said and address your second question further. Battlefield preservation can find itself opposite wilderness conservation as it seeks to preserve a cultural landscape in spite of nature. It can also find itself opposite other forms of preservation when it seeks to preserve the battlefield over other history significant to the place. However, the standards, guidelines, and even regulations of the cultural preservation fields provide the framework for identifying what actions should occur amongst competing issues & perspectives. In the United States, you can find the majority of them through the National Park Service.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I thought they did a good job at Culloden. They have a stretch of the area how it was back in the day, with the rest allowed to grow as a nature reserve. They mark out where all the units on both sides are lined up with a line of flags to show where it would extend. The visitor centre is a bit back from the battlefield and you get a good view of the area from the roof. Maps and signs everywhere of course. If you take a walk you get a good sense of what it would have been like for the Jacobite army to advance under fire.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

MikeCrotch posted:

One of the most famous battlefield desecrations is Waterloo, where the big victory mound built after the battle meant totally resculpting the terrain. Wellington went back and was basically "these bozos have totally ruined my battlefield".

Ah the vapid idiot being shot memorial.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
It's been twenty odd years, but isn't the lion statue on top aligned such that you get to meditate on its balls as you climb to the top?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Siivola posted:

How would two pike squares engage? (Carefully! Do ho ho!) I sort of know how they're deployed and what they're there to do (protect the people with the guns), and I've seen Holben's drawing of the end result, but I have no idea how they went from one to the other.

Interesting! Could you point me at a source?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y6agtVxWi8

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I doubt anyone ITT has ever asked themselves "I wonder how fancy Regia Marina warships were inside?" I also doubt that anyone here would be particularly surprised that the answer is "really loving fancy". Just look at the conference room in the thumbnail below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdUTEbvltZM&t=603s

I like this channel as a supplement to Drachinifel. He's got a mild case of YouTube Voice, but I like his approach to ship reviews. He also does some very interesting shipwreck tours. What caught my eye at first was a series on the design philosophies of the Grand Fleet and the High Seas Fleet. That gets a lot less coverage than class histories with technical details; the whys are even more interesting.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

mllaneza posted:

I doubt anyone ITT has ever asked themselves "I wonder how fancy Regia Marina warships were inside?"

You're joking, right?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Unfortunately no, this is one of those things that I dimly remember reading at some point somewhere. It is, I suppose, possible that I made it up, though I suspect it's more likely that I read it here or on the ACOUP blog.

To expand on those dim memories, the basic problem you have with charging into melee is that that takes you closer to the enemy, and they want to kill you. Your average soldier, quite reasonably, wants to avoid that. In an "everyone runs at the enemy" charge, there'll be plenty of chaos and opportunities for individual soldiers to run away, go slowly (and let braver soldiers go first), or trip (intentionally or otherwise). You might try to hype everyone up with some pre-charge speeches or chants, but that's not terribly reliable. A secondary issue is that when your force runs, it'll arrive at the enemy irregularly, as individual soldiers reach the enemy formation. That means that one soldier may be fighting against 2 or 3 at a time. You're basically offering yourself up for defeat in detail.

A more orderly charge, where everyone stays in formation, means that much more of your force will reach the enemy, and when they do, they'll be able to support each other in the actual fighting.

I can sort of see the logic but the argument seems to lean on some pretty heavy assumptions on how "the average soldier" feels about killing and dying. It seems to take our modern sedentary mindset and transplant it across eras, and that seems wrong to me. I genuinely do think that when historical people wrote about stuff like "chivalry" or "honour", they actually believed that, and consequently felt a real pressure to not be "cowards".

The other half is more persuasive, but there's a huge grey area between "a brisk walk" and "everyone sprints full tilt at the enemy", and we've not even addressed what a chargeable distance is. Just the other day, Bret Devereaux argued on ACOUP that Roman legionaries would throw two pila and then advance to take advantage of any gaps made. Pilum range is maybe 30 metres. Can you briskly walk that distance before the enemy fixes their ranks? I dunno!

Can soldiers run? Yeah, moderns do it all the time for health and because Sarge felt like it. They even drill running in formations, but actual formal drill is a fairly young practice. Hey Guns has argued that his dudes didn't drill in the 17th century and we know that people were super into it by 19th, so the development happens somewhere in between there. So could a bunch of dudes maintain a semblance of a line while running? It depends! Start close enough and there isn't enough space for people to dive out.

This is why I was hoping for some juicy sources btw, "what does 'charging' actually mean, as a mode of movement" is too broad a question in general.

Anyway, pilum range reminded me that I've heard that some old US military books included "whites of eyes are visible X far away" in a chapter on estimating distances. Anyone know what book that might have been?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Siivola posted:

How would two pike squares engage? (Carefully! Do ho ho!) I sort of know how they're deployed and what they're there to do (protect the people with the guns), and I've seen Holben's drawing of the end result, but I have no idea how they went from one to the other.

Interesting! Could you point me at a source?

O hey! You reminded me that I actually asked Hey Guns about the "push of pike" a while back. It's not a source you can really cite, but he's a pretty dang good authority on it so here's the relevant part of that e-mail conversation :

A Roguishly Handsome but Stupid Person posted:

I was randomly thinking about pikes, as you do, and despite us talking about this 50,000 times I don't really know what happens when two pike squares form up. Like, I know lots of bits but I don't have a firm grasp of the process. I was trying to sketch it out mentally and this is the best I got :

(For the purposes of the example I'm kind of abstracting some things away like the rest of the battle and why these two pike formations are being forced to fight.)

1) we have two squares of dudes, standing close together and they're advancing at each other with pikes (or one is still and the other is moving)
2) at some point they're gonna actually get their pikes ready which I assume is a big enough distance so you can get everyone doing it in order but as short as you can manage cause pike heavy. Shoulder-height for max extension, right?
3) pike fencing - this part I actually understand pretty well because of you, but you always made it seem like it was relatively uncommon/quick and this wasn't a major component of what infantry vs infantry was about
4) when I skimmed wikipedia it gave me the seemingly dubious idea that dudes in the rear lines would "lend their weight" to some kind of literal physical contest of strength style push. I can see being pushed by the dudes behind you because, you know, I've been in a crowd, but it made it sound like this was a desired outcome?? And it's not how I interpret any of the period art I'm looking at. Is this wiki being lovely?
5)?????I have no idea
???
?????
????
?) "Bad War" full on close-combat awful nightmare

At some point in the middle dudes with gently caress-off big two handed weapons may be doing things that sound dashing but are probably stupid and fatal, and at any point one side might say gently caress it and run.

An Actual Expert With Knowledge and Stuff posted:

1. They are not standing close together.
2. You level it about shoulder height while advancing, this part is correct
3. Not sure how long it lasts to be honest, which leads us to
4. It isn't a "strength style push," I have no idea where this came from, possibly from what people think about ancient spear combat?
5. You fence with pikes, the musketeers shoot at each other, then the squares disengage. Sometimes they just stand there until they're ready to go again, I think I've read about this in the English Civil War.

Does that help at all?

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Siivola posted:

I can sort of see the logic but the argument seems to lean on some pretty heavy assumptions on how "the average soldier" feels about killing and dying. It seems to take our modern sedentary mindset and transplant it across eras, and that seems wrong to me. I genuinely do think that when historical people wrote about stuff like "chivalry" or "honour", they actually believed that, and consequently felt a real pressure to not be "cowards".

If you look at the conversation about dueling a couple of pages back, it's pretty clear that an awful lot of historical people really did think that 'severe injury or death' is a better outcome than 'coward' in a lot of cases. Voluntarily going into a one-on-one duel where injury, deliberate maiming, or death is an almost certain consequence for at least one party was very widespread across different times, locations, and social classes. Almost no soldiers would want to just run straight into a spear, but that's different than not wanting to get to grips with the enemy.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

O hey! You reminded me that I actually asked Hey Guns about the "push of pike" a while back. It's not a source you can really cite, but he's a pretty dang good authority on it so here's the relevant part of that e-mail conversation :

Does that help at all?

It does, in a zoomed-out way. Thanks! But what I'm wondering is more like, in step 1.5 at what speed do the loosely packed groups of dudes advance? Do they march to a drumbeat until contact, or do they run in screaming, or do something clever that my Hollywood-addled brain can't picture?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Siivola posted:

It does, in a zoomed-out way. Thanks! But what I'm wondering is more like, in step 1.5 at what speed do the loosely packed groups of dudes advance? Do they march to a drumbeat until contact, or do they run in screaming, or do something clever that my Hollywood-addled brain can't picture?

Pikes don't generally charge. Almost everyone in the square is either carrying a 20' sharpened stick or a tube full of primitive explosives (with attendant lit matchcord), neither of which is a great thing to run with.

This is a lot of drumbeat walking towards each other with quicker bits interspersed.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

If you look at the conversation about dueling a couple of pages back, it's pretty clear that an awful lot of historical people really did think that 'severe injury or death' is a better outcome than 'coward' in a lot of cases. Voluntarily going into a one-on-one duel where injury, deliberate maiming, or death is an almost certain consequence for at least one party was very widespread across different times, locations, and social classes. Almost no soldiers would want to just run straight into a spear, but that's different than not wanting to get to grips with the enemy.

I think if I was going to extend that argument, I'd also say that all the historical sources that talk about proper warrior behaviour (honour, chivalry, etc.) wouldn't be doing so if there wasn't a concern that many people would behave as "cowards". Societal ideals on bravery are a lot easier to hold when some bastard isn't standing in front of you with a pointy stick he's trying to murder you with. In a duel, societal pressure can make you commit to the fight because people have their eyes on you specifically. If you act in a "cowardly " fashion, it will be obvious. In a general charge though, people might notice and remember if you cut and run. They might not notice if you accidentally-on-purpose stumble slightly so that you're not one of the first to make contact with the enemy.

I was under the impression that we had decent sources for how charges worked for infantry and cavalry from at least the Napoleonic period forward? Presumably they'd be a decent indicator for how charges may have worked in prior eras of warfare. I'm hardly an expert though, so I could easily be mistaken.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Pikes don't generally charge. Almost everyone in the square is either carrying a 20' sharpened stick or a tube full of primitive explosives (with attendant lit matchcord), neither of which is a great thing to run with.

This is a lot of drumbeat walking towards each other with quicker bits interspersed.

So this kinda loops around to the other half of my post back there: Does "charging" necessarily imply "running"?

Does this even make sense as a question?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think you can run with a 20 ft pike held in front of you. What happened when two phalanxes had to fight each other head on?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

zoux posted:

I don't think you can run with a 20 ft pike held in front of you. What happened when two phalanxes had to fight each other head on?

I've read Devereaux mention that because Greek citizen-soldiers weren't particularly well trained, phalanxes had difficulty maneuvering on the field. After they made contact, the formations allegedly drifted clockwise around one another because the dudes would try to angle around their counterparts' shields.

There's a big ol' gap in the middle there, again.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Siivola posted:

I've read Devereaux mention that because Greek citizen-soldiers weren't particularly well trained, phalanxes had difficulty maneuvering on the field. After they made contact, the formations allegedly drifted clockwise around one another because the dudes would try to angle around their counterparts' shields.

There's a big ol' gap in the middle there, again.

Yep, cavalry basically waiting around for this to happen so they can go ham

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Fangz posted:

Also I understand the portrayal of Josephine and Napoleon's relationship in the movie is terrible anyway

There is always making a movie set in a historical war without showing battles as more than a three second backdrop, if you’re not interested in doing long battle scenes to even SPR authenticity

Would this fly for Hollywood funding, idk

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That clip I posted of the battle of Roicroi wasn't a gag, Hegel hisself said, as I recall, that it was fairly accurate. They just kind of scoot into each other:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y6agtVxWi8&t=144s

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Lemony posted:

I think if I was going to extend that argument, I'd also say that all the historical sources that talk about proper warrior behaviour (honour, chivalry, etc.) wouldn't be doing so if there wasn't a concern that many people would behave as "cowards". Societal ideals on bravery are a lot easier to hold when some bastard isn't standing in front of you with a pointy stick he's trying to murder you with. In a duel, societal pressure can make you commit to the fight because people have their eyes on you specifically. If you act in a "cowardly " fashion, it will be obvious. In a general charge though, people might notice and remember if you cut and run. They might not notice if you accidentally-on-purpose stumble slightly so that you're not one of the first to make contact with the enemy.

Oh, I see that the comment I was replying to was replying to a discussion of an 'everyone runs at the enemy' charge. I don't think those were actually anywhere near as common as movies would lead people to believe. If you're infantry charging in formation, your buddies beside you and the line of guys behind you certainly have their eyes on you, if you 'fake stumble' and mess up your formation then it's going to be hard for them not to notice. And these are either people from your home area or people you've campaigned with for a long time, so you care a lot about their opinion. Is there even much information on 'everyone run at the enemy' charges? They seem more like a desperation move than a military tactic.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Siivola posted:

So this kinda loops around to the other half of my post back there: Does "charging" necessarily imply "running"?

It can, but I don't think it's axiomatic.

Just for an example, this is a sketch by Edwin Forbes of Pickett's Charge. Forbes was an artist who saw multiple US Civil War battles firsthand; he was "embedded" with the Union Army.

When he depicts the charge, no one is running. They're advancing, but walking, stopping to shoot, etc.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I see how that is titled; was the Union soldier's reaction to Pickett's charge one of admiration or derision

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I don't know. Maybe a bit of both?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think there are specific types of shock charges that are more or less sprint charges, but they're the kind that gets specific names: Highland charge and Gustavan charge are the two that I understand as having a sprint component. In either case the tactic is to advance, sometimes to unload as much firepower as possible from up close to disrupt the enemy's ability to counter attack, before crashing into hand to hand, with the aim of shocking the targeted line out of formation.

That these two are singled out as special kinds of charges strongly implies that a sprint into hand to hand is not the norm.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

zoux posted:

I see how that is titled; was the Union soldier's reaction to Pickett's charge one of admiration or derision

Brave, but doomed. There's a letter from Private David Coon that describes how the Rebels advanced through devastating artillery fire, but the survivors soon turned back after reaching the stone wall and realizing they were facing a mass of experienced Union troops. "At every jump our boys saluted them by firing their deadly volleys into them, piling them up in windrows. The artillery also sent the grape and canister into them with disdainful vengeance." There's an article that quotes a Major Osborne, who wrote that "the whole force of our artillery was brought to bear upon this column, and the havoc produced upon their ranks was truly inspiring." I don't know of any longer Union memoirs that describe Pickett's Charge in detail, but I'm sure they exist.

At the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, the surviving Southerners reenacted Pickett's Charge. When they reached the stone wall, the Union soldiers hugged them.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 29, 2023

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Foote gave an account of an artillery crew stopping to gape at the pause to dress the line, then gladly firing with renewed gusto at this easy target.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Siivola posted:

Does this even make sense as a question?

I guess it depends on what you mean by charge and what you mean by run. To follow up on the ACW example.

A "charge" can be very loosely defined. The entirety of the July 3rd attack mentioned is called a charge even though the majority of the advance was carried out probably in common time which covers ~70 yards a minute until the final 150 yards or so where double quick was called Armistead which is not quite a run but increases the pace to ~150 yards a minute. At Franklin, double-quick was apparently called by a Confederate regiment right after receiving the first volley of small arms fire (which would typically be issued ~200 yards). This account describes it as a run and the attack disintegrated as it hit an abatis line. There are other examples but in general during an assault, if and when double quick was called it was usually the final dash within 200 yards or so and it was meant to carry the position if morale and unit cohesion held. Double-quick was also often used to move men into positions and plug gaps but it was recognized as strenuous and left men in poor condition to fight in sustained. At Chickamauga, Rosecrans met Thomas's increasingly urgent requests for men and ordered a brigade to essentially double quick to Thomas's position but not to exhaust the men in the process (presumably to slow down to a more reasonable pace if it became clear the men started to falter).

In a more ancient setting (of which I am very suspicious of any accounts), Pharsalus saw Caesar's men advance upon Pompey's line and when Pompey's line did not reciprocate, apparently Caesar's men had enough sense to stop, redress their lines and gather their breath before proceeding again. There is a lot we don't know about ancient warfare given the sparse accounts left behind and many of those accounts are second-hand sources recorded decades or centuries after its occurrence.

An analog I like think of as a reasonable fascilime of what ancient warfare might have looked like is modern-day riot police doing crowd control. A slow deliberate pace to close in on the mass of protesters with small groups breaking into a run to capture small groups of rioters before retreating back to safety of their own lines. I "pulse" theory of combat and riot cops seem to practice that type of movement a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KNECqbngcg&t=35s

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Semi-related but the the video that comes up a lot, specifically with regards to riot police in comparison to ancient tactics (specifically Roman legion tactics), is this one of South Korean riot police training
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4D-HUUTXvQ

Almost certainly not exactly right of course, and probably a lot more complicated than anything you'd see on a battlefield, but interesting to think about. You can also see that they don't really "charge" - order and coordination are more important than speed, generally speaking.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

MikeC posted:

An analog I like think of as a reasonable fascilime of what ancient warfare might have looked like is modern-day riot police doing crowd control. A slow deliberate pace to close in on the mass of protesters with small groups breaking into a run to capture small groups of rioters before retreating back to safety of their own lines. I "pulse" theory of combat and riot cops seem to practice that type of movement a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KNECqbngcg&t=35s

That reminds me of a video I think people here will like - it's a comparison of modern riot police armor with medieval armor. Jason, the presenter here, does a lot of videos reenacting medieval stuff (some milhist like armor and horseback riding, some social like food and day-to-day tools).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5drjdFuo7k

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

zoux posted:

Maybe not run but the Swiss made their name in part because of their speed operating on foot. Indeed, their first move in the pitched battles of the Burgudian and Italian Wars was often to charge the enemy cannon and turn them on their former operators. Although they switched form a mainly-halberd to mainly-pike force over the decades, this tactic remained a habit, so that in 1515 when they did the same thing again at the Battle of Marignano, the French immediately sent a force of cavalry over to repulse them from the artillery.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Charging with pikes was a common technique, though it sounds like what you're describing might be what I would consider charging. Here's what John Cruso says in his 1639 work, The Art of Warre

quote:

You must not give on so hastily, as that thereby the Battaillons be disordered; and on the other-side you are to use a marching pace un∣till you come within distance of a Pistoll-shot, but then to double your pace and to charge furiously, the Pikes being close serried, and the Muskets continually playing on the Flanks, having certain Targetteers in Front which may shelter the Battaillon, and disorder the enemies Pikes.

This fits in with other descriptions I've read from the period, and could be what was done earlier.

As an aside, i find it funny how pikes grow in size like a big fish story. I have never heard of actual 20' pikes in use, though I could believe it. The ones in the 17th century were typically around 16' in length, but Agostino Manciolino in his 1531 Opera Nova recommends a 12-14 foot pike.

edit: One more detail is regarding the actual fencing with the pike. It can be held in multiple different positions, for which we have dozens of illustrations, and it appears to be somewhat situational. I think the best probably come from Paul Dolnstein, a landsknecht who fought for the king of Denmark:

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 30, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

On a scale of pole vaulting pole to iron rod, how floppy is a very long pike

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

zoux posted:

On a scale of pole vaulting pole to iron rod, how floppy is a very long pike

Pikes are made of ash poles, so they'll feel more like an iron rod (or axe handle...) in the hand, but have a surprising amount of flex, in the form of shock absorption. You can wobble em around some but it's not like you can bend em in half like a fishing pole or pole vault pole.

Uh, if 10 is max flex maybe a 3 to 3.5? Takes a lot to move them but they'll go a lot farther than you'd expect when they move.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I think Hey Guns mentioned reenactors use thicker pikeshafts since an period accurate pike is springy enough that it could be dangerous if it caught on something and whipped someone.

Edit: also a period accurate pike splintering could put someone in the hospital.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cessna posted:

You're joking, right?

I do sometimes underestimate my audience.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hell yeah thanks everybody, those are exactly the kinds of accounts of charges I was hoping for.

TaurusTorus posted:

I think Hey Guns mentioned reenactors use thicker pikeshafts since an period accurate pike is springy enough that it could be dangerous if it caught on something and whipped someone.

Edit: also a period accurate pike splintering could put someone in the hospital.

Iirc he's also mentioned the shafts are so expensive and awkward that nobody wants to bring spares if they can avoid it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Siivola posted:

Hell yeah thanks everybody, those are exactly the kinds of accounts of charges I was hoping for.

Iirc he's also mentioned the shafts are so expensive and awkward that nobody wants to bring spares if they can avoid it.

Yet such was the desire for loot that, when there was a house to ransack, they'd lay the pike down and jump on it to snap the shaft and make a short spear, even though the shafts were valuable even then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Nothing was more important than looting. Looting is the entire reason to be a soldier.